Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-24-2014, 01:16 AM #1
Polithe

snake help

im a noob trying to learn how to play snake, so please comment on snake tips and tricks :] also, when should you go prone in snake, dynasty sais never go prone, but russia BRL go prone, and they're both awesome teams. anybody have an explanation? Thanks =]
Polithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-24-2014, 07:20 AM #2
TheFinest
The Man

TheFinest owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
TheFinest has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
TheFinest has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
TheFinest supports Empire
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1035630

This says front but gives you an idea what to do.
Watching pro videos may help your cause, but remember these are just guidelines because everybody will have a different way of doing their things. Watch games down at a local field or torunament and see what one team did right and what the other did wrong. But playing conservative is a must in snake, and when to know to play aggressive. You are basically the anchor for your team and losing a snake player is crucial. Don't try to make stupid shots and make sure you stay alive.
Hustle Paintball
Paintball Wizard
TheFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:11 AM #3
East告de
inconceivable

has been a member for 10 years
East告de is BST Trusted
East告de owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
East告de has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Having played a lot of positions but mostly snake, here are some tips to help you out ;

1. Don't battle your mirror or snake corners . It is something I see a lot of new snake players do and is a total waste of time and your position . In general it is a bad idea to battle your mirror from any position as you aren't taking advantage of your angles but particularly in the snake it is a bad idea . As a snake player your main focus is putting pressure on the other team by working the angles across the field and making them focus on you which allows your teammates across field to also advance. In order to do this, you need to be alive and you need to be looking inside the field for your cross field shots . Battling your mirror stops you from looking across the field and also increases your chances you are going to get shot . Assuming your teammates know how to play, someone behind you should be focused on their snake player and you shouldn't be .

2. Remember to walk the snake before playing to see where the shots are and to see who can shoot you from a particular "knuckle." Don't forget that the snake is a long bunker and it can be played from positions in between each knuckle as well. Look for odd shots over the legs of the snakes as well as from the knuckles . When shooting from one of these spots, you'll have to pop the top of the bunker, so do it quickly and try not to come up in the same spot twice in a row .

3. Learn to shoot lefty and righty . I see a lot of players shooting cross body and leaving themselves exposed because they're not as tight to their bunkers as they could be . If the snake is to your left from break, you should be shooting righty inside, and if the snake is on your right from break you should be shooting lefty inside.

4. Learn how to plan your route to the snake to minimize running into open lanes . Try and determine the best way into the snake - often the straight route is not the safest route . Learn to run off the edges of bunkers and use the back bunkers as shields while you run.

5. This last one is all about gaining experience - over time you will learn when to be aggressive and take as much real estate as quickly as possible and when it is better to slowly move your way up the snake, taking advantage of different angles along the way. Don't forget to shoot at bunkers you noticed you could during your field walking prior to playing . Blind shots are key here. Have fun and I hope some of this helps.
been there, done that
Free Agent

Last edited by East告de : 06-24-2014 at 10:13 AM.
East告de is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 01:15 AM #4
matt01989

Thank you for the advice Eastside. I found it very helpful. I have never tried snake as I have only played ywice now and I have mostly played the dorito side of the field. But I am really looking forward to giving snake a try!
matt01989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 PM #5
KoozieLife

Same
KoozieLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:08 PM #6
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
No worries . I can expand a lot more on any of that if you have any other questions .
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-06-2014, 05:34 AM #7
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

aresfiend plays in the APPA D4 division
aresfiend has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
aresfiend supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
1. Don't battle your mirror or snake corners
This here is the only thing in all of that I disagree with. It's a good general guideline but sometimes they put more pressure on the only other guys who could help, and if you don't do that and they get to control the wire that could be game over as far as you're concerned.
aresfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:00 AM #8
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
It is not your job to battle your mirror . You have teammates in other areas who's job it is to watch your mirror and communicate to you if he's coming for you. The only time you should really be focusing on your mirror or the tape is if you're looking to bump to the next knuckle or you're about to go do a run through .
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-06-2014, 08:24 AM #9
Bunkered89
Ride or Collide

Bunkered89 is a Supporting Member
Bunkered89 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Bunkered89 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
This here is the only thing in all of that I disagree with. It's a good general guideline but sometimes they put more pressure on the only other guys who could help, and if you don't do that and they get to control the wire that could be game over as far as you're concerned.
I'm not sure I follow you. If my teammates who have my wire are taking all of the paint and I am not, then I am freed up to make some moves.
Bunkered89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:16 PM #10
Ryn_Droma

Ryn_Droma is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkered89 View Post
I'm not sure I follow you. If my teammates who have my wire are taking all of the paint and I am not, then I am freed up to make some moves.
If your mirror, or the snake corner, is dominating the tape against your back player, then you trying to snap out or move up is likely to just get you shot. When the player on the other team is already set, gun up and shooting, he has the advantage against you since you have to snap/move out, gain the target and shoot. Eastside is absolutely right in his tip.

On thing I would add to Eastside's advice is to LISTEN to your teammates, especially your back player. You have limited visibility in the snake, so they have to be your extra set of eyes. Working with the same back player as much as possible will help too.
Ryn_Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:35 PM #11
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
/\ totally agree with the add on . I didn't include this because I wasn't sure if you played with a specific team so sometimes you're on your own, but as a general rule you should definitely use your back player as your eyes and ears .
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-07-2014, 12:04 PM #12
eforce
Factory PB

Annual Supporting Member
eforce is a Moderator
eforce plays in the PSP
eforce is an NCPA player
Quote:
Originally Posted by aresfiend View Post
There are only four situations you should be looking down the wire if your corner is alive.

1. You're about to bump up.
2. You're about to bunker your mirror.
3. Your coach told you the other guy is coming down the outside.
4. You're wrapping.

Even in situation 3, it may be better to come up over the top and surprise the guy trying to run you down rather than to sit and wait for it.

Any other time, you should be looking through the inside. Many players forget that if the snake is forced down or outside, any competent dorito player will have little trouble moving up the field. Before you know it, your corner is dead, your back center is pinched, and your dorito players are getting run down. I absolutely love playing against snake players that waste time shooting down the wire. They get nowhere with a corner sitting on them, frequently get shot out, and completely give away the entire inside of the field. Not only that, but once they die, their remaining corner has no choice but to sit and accomplish nothing, or fill the snake and put himself in bunkering range.
Old 07-08-2014, 04:37 AM #13
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforce View Post
There are only four situations you should be looking down the wire if your corner is alive.

1. You're about to bump up.
2. You're about to bunker your mirror.
3. Your coach told you the other guy is coming down the outside.
4. You're wrapping.

Even in situation 3, it may be better to come up over the top and surprise the guy trying to run you down rather than to sit and wait for it.

Any other time, you should be looking through the inside. Many players forget that if the snake is forced down or outside, any competent dorito player will have little trouble moving up the field. Before you know it, your corner is dead, your back center is pinched, and your dorito players are getting run down. I absolutely love playing against snake players that waste time shooting down the wire. They get nowhere with a corner sitting on them, frequently get shot out, and completely give away the entire inside of the field. Not only that, but once they die, their remaining corner has no choice but to sit and accomplish nothing, or fill the snake and put himself in bunkering range.
This is all with the assumption that you have a guy behind you in the first place. If you don't check the wire to keep them from bumping and you have no center, who's to keep you from getting run down? Many players play tournaments that do not allow coaching. If you have a coach you never need to look on the wire unless they tell you to, but if you don't and you don't have anyone behind you or in back center (as often happens) you NEED to watch your own wire to an extent.

If you have a guy behind you it's not your job and if you have a coach it's not your job, but if the guy behind you died (or just didn't go to the corner for some reason) and if you have no coach you can't always rely on your teammates to watch your snake for you. It sucks, but when you're the only one over there you can't guarantee anybody else will keep you from getting running down.

Last edited by aresfiend : 07-08-2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 AM #14
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
It's not your job, period . Your job as a snake player is to grab real estate, get kills inside the field and draw pressure to you . If you don't have a corner or someone directly behind you then the person nearest to that position should be watching your tape preventing a run through . Your mirror can sit on the wire all day, as long as you do your job and your teammates are watching to make sure they don't leave you hanging you have nothing to worry about . If your mirror starts to move towards you or begins trying to wrap, your teammate can communicate to you that he's wrapping and you can quickly switch to the tape, shoot him and then look back inside .
Also, on any decent team , if you lose your snake corner or snake insert, the next guy up should usually be filling over to that side to back you up anyway.
If there is no one left to fill behind you then you are SOL. Looking down the wire isn't going to prevent anyone from running through the middle of the field or running down the D side and doing the same amount of damage. You need to stay inside, crossed up with your teammate on the other side and hold down your lanes .
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM #15
aresfiend
Snake player McFatass

Quote:
Originally Posted by East告de View Post
Looking down the wire isn't going to prevent anyone from running through the middle of the field or running down the D side and doing the same amount of damage.
Here's the thing, it's not like you have to JUST watch your wire, but don't JUST ignore it. It doesn't matter if your team is SOL on the point, but in the race-to format you may not even need to win a point as much as delay a team as much as possible. If you're already SOL it's still beneficial to slow the teams advances as much as possible.

As I said, it's a general guideline to not **** with snake if you're in snake, but there are times where it's more beneficial. It's down to three players, or even two, are you going to take off from s1/s2 or expect the guy who's D corner or D1 to jump over to snake corner to cover your wire? No. If anything you're going to either try to keep snake from advancing (so they can't put even more pressure on your guys), you're going to keep d from advancing and hope your guy can keep some pressure on snake, or you're going to die in your bunker/most likely die trying to make it back.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:00 AM #16
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
The best way to delay a point or game ending is to cross the field up and maintain your lanes.
By posting up on the tape or engaging your mirror, you are no longer able to watch your teammates backs across field, so when they are busy trying to shoot at your mirror and watch YOUR back, you've effectively left them high and dry waiting for someone to come run down their tape, shoot all of them and then shoot you.
The times when it would be beneficial to be looking down your tape are:
when you are looking to bump from one knuckle to the next
when you are looking to go bunker their snake player
when you are looking to close the game out

In the scenario you posted, I wouldn't expect anyone to move to cover my wire. If it s a 3 v 3 scenario, then theoretically they have the same potential for coverage or lack thereof, so I am not overly concerned with someone covering my wire. The options at this point to best close the game are to either dominate their snake side or the dorito side and push whatever side of the field that may be. One way to do this is to continue to focus inside until you can either shoot one of their D players or pinch him with another of your teammates, OR decide to get up and go bunker their snake player - but you run the risk of trading out with them if you do that. If you can synchronize your move with your teammates, then when you get up to go bunker the snake and the D side players on their team turn to shoot at you, your D side players can run a similar run through on a short delay after you go.
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-09-2014, 04:02 PM #17
Kellyjackson

guys, sorry to hijack the thread here.. but im a complete pb noob and some of the terminology used here is kind of foreign.

Is there a post or article i can refer to that would better help me understand the theory behind speedball ?

tbh i dont even know the names of all the different types of bunkers..

Also, the info here that I did understand was hella helpful. thanks guys
Kellyjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM #18
East告de
inconceivable

East告de is BST Trusted
Probably the best way to learn would be through videos on YouTube , etc.
There is a ton of terminology specific to paintball - some of the terms used in this thread are
Doritos - aka "d" or "d side " refers to the large or medium sized triangular 3d bunkers . Typically they are a staple bunker on one side of the field
Snake - long, low bunker that usually extends from each teams 30 yd line or so . Comprised of long low "legs" and bunkers that make up individual "knuckles" of the snake . Knuckles would be stopping points along the way that afford more cover than just the low "leg" bunkers.
Run through - when a player takes off downfield in the middle of the game with the intention of bunkering or otherwise eliminating as many players as possible. This is an aggressive move and is usually done to close out a game.
Popping the top - refers to shooting over the top of a bunker rather than the left or right sides . Usually a riskier option but sometimes a good way to mix up your opponent in where he is shooting.
Breakout - aka "break" . Refers to the initial start of the game where all members of each team are at a specific starting point and break out to their individual bunkers.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head but I'll chime in if anything else pops up .
been there, done that
Free Agent
Old 07-13-2014, 09:43 PM #19
jsgnado1996
jsg_nado

jsgnado1996 plays in the APPA D5 division
jsgnado1996 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Best snake tips I can give from experience:

Learn to "play small", minimizing or ideally getting rid of exposed body parts/gun parts. This will come with experience. This is especially vital when getting into the snake initially and when bumping up during secondary moves. Keep yourself HUGGED low to the ground (drag your stomach) to ensure that noone can shootcross-field in the pack, or better yet, don't get seen at all. I can't tell you how many times i've shot players moving up in the snake in the pack because they value speed over safety. If someone is shooting at you, DON'T GIVE THEM ANYTHING TO SHOOT AT

Second best tip: Be patient. Listen to your teammates. You don't ever want to have to pop your head up to look around for someone, you want to have your teammates communicate to you so you can simply pop up and shoot.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:59 PM #20
p8ntballr68059
SOG Leprechaun Post Whore

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntballr68059 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballr68059 plays in the APPA D5 division
p8ntballr68059 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
p8ntballr68059 is Boss
p8ntballr68059 supports DLX Technology
for the love of god when you are going to the snake look at where the players are going on the opposing team. during your crawl look at the angles the paint is coming from so you know your shots when you do decide to pop up an look.
if you want a couple of drills to help with this pm me i will be willing to explain
Vicious fan #42
My Current markers Texas Storm G6R,Luxe,Sniper,Vice,Marq 7, TonTon Shocker
p8ntballr68059 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM #21
VSportsGuy

Annual Supporting Member
VSportsGuy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
VSportsGuy has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
VSportsGuy supports DLX Technology
Nothing wrong with looking at the tape. If you have tape dominance you can wrap, bump, bunker the other snake player, or get lucky and shoot the corner/snake player if he comes out at the wrong time.

Don't play within strict rules, play within guidelines. It's often better to look inside, but there are many times where it can be advantageous to look tape side. Just like it's very dangerous to come over the top of a bunker. That doesn't mean you should never do it. There are advantages to coming over the top as well.

My tips would be:
1. Learn how to crawl as fast as possible without exposing yourself. It's different for each snake. The faster you get to the snake knuckles, the more likely you are to surprise someone. Once they know you're there, they can tighten up and have someone posted on you and essentially shut you down. This has gotten me more kills than anything else. Speed kills in the snake. Get there, get to the knuckle as fast as possible, get your gun up and shooting as fast as possible.

2. Dive through lanes, not into bunkers. I see too many guys running through the lane and then dive too late. If there's more than one lane to run though, you probably want to dive through the first lane off break and then bump into snake - that way you're diving through both lanes.

3. If running gun down to the snake off break, don't bother looking for lanes or looking at the other team's breakout past your first few steps. Concentrate on your path and diving through the lane.

4. This one is simple, yet so few people do it... Run efficiently. Pump your arms including your gun hand. Don't put a hand over over your mask.

5. Once the other team has a player posted on you, relax and let him burn through his paint. His lane will drop; you can't get impatient and make a mistake.

6. If there's no snake side coaching, be aggressive against other snake players. If you can bunker them and stay alive in the process, you're miles ahead of the other team.

7. Learn to play snake without a snake corner.

8. If you're in a 1 on 1, get out of the snake.
VSportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote