PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-01-2014, 05:09 PM #1
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
What are your predictions about the future of tournament paintball?

I was just thinking about this after reading the discussion about going to a halves format in the PSP in the news section. I think the inevitable change that is coming is that a more traditional league type schedule will pop up. Teams will play out of their local fields and travel around basically like a real professional sports league. Think of maybe a independent hockey league or independent baseball league type of deal. One of the goals of the PBA webcast I believe was to show that their is a dedicated and real viewership for paintball. I bring this up because I thought for a while we were farther away from a tv deal than I originally thought. What brings that up is I was watching the APL webcast. It was on twitch and in the lower corner it had how many people were actively viewing the webcast. Their were spikes of over 2,000. This was for something barely advertised and I say this as someone who has watched more paintball than I have played. I have payed for multiple PSP webcast's dating back to probably 2009. So just spitballing some numbers I have to estimate that the PBA webcast gets at least 10,000 with spikes to 15,000 for the bigger games and bigger events. To summarize that block of text is this basically, the PSP actually has a real legitimate following, they can actually pitch a real business model to a television provider. The tournament format we play now is great but the league format allows a lot more freedom to create a week to week following, create some backstory and keep people interested and a season long dialogue/story. I think seeing it live is also a bid deal to a lot of people as well and that would make live production more feasible. This is just me guessing what is going on behind closed door's at the PSP. They have some real numbers finally, it grows every single year and were starting to really figure out how to film paintball. So my prediction is that the PSP will go away from the tournament style format. Go towards a truly "national" league where teams will play out of their home field. A schedule with something like 40 games, (maybe a series format like baseball over multiple days) with some live broadcasting on a smaller network in the next 5 years. Each team may have a unique "home" layout or something like that. I mean if you think about it, how much more expensive would it be? I estimate roughly 3 times more expensive, but if you can get a little tv money into the deal and at these local venues charge admission you might be able to get close. Also hoppers are coming off the top of the guns, I predict seeing a lot of things like the empire defender in the future, but in a more "speedball" type setup. Also longer barrels are coming back as well, 15''-18'' might be the new norm.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:25 PM #2
Paper_or_Plastic

Paper_or_Plastic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Paper_or_Plastic supports Empire
Basically the old nxl at your home field.

Edit: Another thing for those who say the transportation cost's will be too much. Of the 20 pro teams I would be hard pressed to believe they don't travel at least 6 times a year. You have you 5 psp's and then at *least 1* grind practice one weekend before at least one event. You play 6 "home" series and 6 "away" series. Transportation cost's would be similar.

Last edited by Paper_or_Plastic : 03-01-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Paper_or_Plastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:14 AM #3
Tater Lane PB
taterlanepb

Tater Lane PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Tater Lane PB has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tater Lane PB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
That would be good I a sense but you have to think that most professional paintball players have day jobs unlike the nfl, nba, mlb, or nhl so they would need off a lot to play these events and I see their jobs getting frustrated with them and eventually firing them so then they would have zero income. I think it would be both good and bad.
Gearbag Sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4019565
Looking for an Ego
Tater Lane PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM #4
Lucidlife

But in this scenario more money could be available to fund salaries, look at every other big sport they get paid because there's more money in the sport with all the popularity, but in their inceptions their "pro" players weren't getting salaries either. Sports start from a game a bunch of people liked to play and then over time they can be formed into regulated play. If this happens to paintball with enough viewers and money coming in they won't need week jobs anymore.
Lucidlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 03:22 PM #5
Slayer8
Blop Blop Blop

Slayer8 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_or_Plastic View Post
. Also hoppers are coming off the top of the guns, I predict seeing a lot of things like the empire defender in the future, but in a more "speedball" type setup. Also longer barrels are coming back as well, 15''-18'' might be the new norm.
Hoppers wont be coming off guns for a while. The defender is a good woodsball set up, but putting the hopper there means having a stock, which means needing a remote coil or dealing with a tank and stock.. We have seen things like the q loader that really never caught on either. As for barrels I will be sticking with 14" for a while.

The hatchet has been buried

Big ballers converge, cookies here
Slayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:07 PM #6
PMM_Squiggy
Squiggy

PMM_Squiggy owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I completely agree, the sport is going through a change and I do believe it will go big one day if it stays the path it is in. This could also in theory allow pros to make a living off this eventually. But take a look at what has hone down, as you all probably know, NPPL took a year off. The 7 man series is dying off and I think they are going to conform to more of the xball layout but different when they come back. Why I say this is because EVERYTHING has gone 5man whether it be XBall or just a regular 5man play which would be in semi. Also rumor has it the people who own the NPPL are behind the APL and that also makes sense theoretically. But I see everything going 5-man.
PMM_Squiggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:41 PM #7
psychokyle
RH Tournament Director

has been a member for 10 years
psychokyle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
psychokyle has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I think 5man is where the sport will settle for tv purposes. Watching the last PSP, they did miss a lot of action. 10 guys doing 10 different things has got to be hard to keep track of as a producer. I couldn't imagine adding 4 more for 7man.

Side note: a "sky track" camera like they have in the NFL would be pretty sweet for paintball imo.

RedHead's Paintball
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
psychokyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM #8
Tater Lane PB
taterlanepb

Tater Lane PB owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Tater Lane PB has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Tater Lane PB has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychokyle View Post
Side note: a "sky track" camera like they have in the NFL would be pretty sweet for paintball imo.
This...
Gearbag Sale
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=4019565
Looking for an Ego
Tater Lane PB is offline   Reply With Quote