Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 PM #253
scienceguy

has been a member for 10 years
It's a one owner viking... not many of those left. It's heavy by todays standards, but it always shoots so I never bought another gun.

A photographer near me did a groupon that was pretty successful.

If I'm ever in Portland again, I'll sign up for portraits of the kids. I probably won't be able to afford you by then though.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-29-2011, 10:18 PM #254
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Supporting Member
p8ntcheck45 is a Professional paintball player
p8ntcheck45 is a Paintball photographer
p8ntcheck45 works for a Paintball manufacturer
p8ntcheck45 supports our troops
Haha I can cut ya a deal if your from the nation! And post a pic I freakin love vikings
p8ntcheck45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:57 AM #255
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
I like 1, 4, and 7.

#1 has always been my favorite portrait of yours.

#4 is complete fashion magazine quality.

#7 shows intense action but is still really artsy.

I like the one of Zoe, but in all honesty, those people dont know that Zoe is/was famous, and its just a basic portrait.

My backup choice would be #5 cause it should completely honest fun. I mean who didnt roll down hills like 30 times a day as a child?

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:24 AM #256
RenegadeLegion4
F8 and be there!-Photomob

RenegadeLegion4 is a Paintball photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntcheck45 View Post
Robbo you are the ****in best, I feel like I need to send you some boxed pears or something just for doin your thing. Thanks for the insight!
I always got your back brotha. Can't wait to get a chance to hang again.

As for your photo contest... here's my 2 cents:

Is an amazing shot. This shot is "Jimmy Hickey" photography. It features your talent as a sports, lifestyle and portrait photographer, all wrapped into one photo! There's a great story behind it... "that it was dangerous for the rider, that he actually lost his board down the hill and had to go fetch it!" You can use that in the vid and put some of the "retrieval" photos in the vid.

Amazing location... great composition... unique poses by each girl. I just really dig it!

You can't beat the Zoe's amazing eyes! The shot couldn't have possibly have been shot better, yes, it's a standard portrait syle used in many of your senior portraits, but IMO there are few as good as this one. Many people mis-use an extremely shallow DOF. You were perfectly square to her eyes, keeping both in focus. The shot is simple, beautiful and very well exectuted.

Good luck as always!
Legion MOB : TIL I DIE Feedback
RenegadeLegion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:52 PM #257
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Excellent, most excellent. This contest definitely inspired me to make a video at the end of each year highlighting my favorite photos and talkin about em
Old 06-30-2011, 02:54 PM #258
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
K I am making a page for my portrait website on "why chose me" one of the reasons is "what about the others?"

Not sure if I should add that in there. If I did it would list a few other lifestyle photographers in the area, sorta praise them, but say I feel like my work stands out and stands up to what they create and I believe that they should chose whoever they feel is best....I feel my ****s stronger...but then again they are both girls, so I could perhaps lose girl clients due to wanting to be shot by a girl? I dunno...not too big of a deal to not have it in there, just thought it would be sorta cool to be like 'yo im givin ya the option to chose whoeva, that means i have confidence in my **** yo'

I dunno
www.courtneyjade.com/
http://www.olivia-renee.com/
Old 06-30-2011, 03:28 PM #259
MutR.
Shut up.

It could come across a couple ways.

1. It could tell the client that you are confident of your work and are willing to let them *choose.

2. It could come off as cocky and like you said you can lose a few female clients.

*Either way i think you would end up losing at least some clients just because when you give people other options to look at, you better believe they will look at them.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:48 PM #260
fainerbainer
CK

fainerbainer has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
fainerbainer has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I personally believe you're stuff kicks the crap out of them. However, if I saw someone SPECIFICALLY linking me, saying my business name on their business website on how they are better (even if they were) I'd be a little ticked off.

I don't think it would be bad to do a "How do I compare" page with generalities of what you do better than what the perceived competition.

As such, ask your reps/high schoolers what they typically think of going down on a photo shoot with a typical senior photographer. Then take those as generalities that the public might expect and blow them out of the water.

IE. "With most other photographers you think them just asking you to sit in front of a pretty background and they take your picture after you smile. Well, I don't do that. I want to photograph you and your style. So before a shoot we can email/chat/meet and come up with a concept shoot that focuses on you and your gift of life."

Then just continue on like that . . . don't compare with the specific competition and what they offer.

Take a tip from those late night info-mercials. They never specifically name another product. But they make people feel, "Why do I hassle with my old product when that could make life easier/more fun".
fainerbainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:28 PM #261
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Thanks guys, agreed with what you have to say, not putting it in there.

This is what I have
Quote:
Offering unique on location lifestyle senior portraits that the 90's kids love, while respecting the traditional art of classic portraiture that parents trust. Together we can work to create memorable senior portraits, photos you will cherish for a lifetime.

On-Location
The local big name studios force seniors to shoot at their studio or 'photo park'. These locations are the same as hundred of other seniors. You are unique and your photos should reflect that. That's why I give you the option to chose any location you desire. From the forest, to downtown, from a beach, to an industrial park, and everything in between. Shooting at your own unique location will provide you with portraits that stand out from the crowd.

No 'pay by the pose"
This is not 1982, seniors are not looking for two or three photos of them in one or two poses. Seniors want a lot of photos, a lot of poses, capturing many different things. So, we give unlimited poses. Each location is a goldmine for different styles of shots, so why waste a beautiful location with only one pose?

Lifestyle portraiture
Unlike standard portraits, lifestyle portraiture is a series of photographs taken have a relaxed mood, which creates a fun environment for the senior. Because there is no pressure, we are able to get a glimpse into their life. We create more than just portraits, we create photographs showing life. Dancing in a field, swinging on a swing or tumbling down a hill, we will create a strong mix of images

Image sharing
We live in the digital age. Sharing portraits with friends and family via wallet sized prints is still around(and offered) but that is not as efficient as sharing your images on the internet. Most packages come with the option of unlimited free internet resolution downloads. Perfect for sharing with friends and family on Facebook, Myspace or Blogs. Many local studios are not willing to provide these downloads without you buying them individually.

Being able to relate
I was a senior not too long ago. Because we were born in the same decade, I am able to relate to seniors better than the older grandpas and ma's of photography. Again, this helps to create a more comfortable mood for the senior due to not feeling like they are being photographed by some creepy old guy. It helps them loosen up, and act more natural in front of the camera. Being shot by a 43 year old is intimidating. Being shot by a 20 year old can be a fun experience.

Because I care
The larger portrait studios have many shoots a day, where they are just cranking out low priced senior portraits like a assembly line. I recognize that the senior portrait experience should be a special one, and you deserve a 5 star, fun experience. We have a blast out there taking photos, and create great shots as a result. I take the time to get to know you. I find out exactly what you want and then we work to create that. I am not the cheapest photographer in town, my seniors choose me because I provide a service that is almost unmatched.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:39 PM #262
MutR.
Shut up.

Sounds awesome, and you still kinda stuck it to the other local photogs by putting that last line in there.

I would just spell check it before you post it to your site. also, for some reason, the "Being able to relate" line sounds awkward to me...could just be me though. I think something like "I can relate" or "Relatable" or even something like "Social relationship" would sound less awkward.

Old 06-30-2011, 04:46 PM #263
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Use spell check as I type, need my mom to proof read it but shes in italy right now haha and yeah that makes sense, I'll switch it around. Anything in particular stand out in regard to poor grammar or spelling? Thanks guys, I really appreciate have pbn as a resource to help with this kinda stuff. If there is anything I can help any of you guys with please don't hesitate to ask!

ALso just made a senior only group on FB....olivia renee has one and it has 350+ people...interesting
Old 06-30-2011, 04:57 PM #264
fainerbainer
CK

i've done proof reading and enhancement on a few pbnation members resumes and what not. If you would like me to I can hang onto what you've written for a few days and pump you out something concise, to the point, and written well if you want to.

Most people don't catch it but you have some things that could be worded better as well as a mix on pronouns that's sorta confusing (I, we). Also, I wouldn't put anything about age in there as a "relating" thing. I relate to people of all ages and you could pigeon hole your marketing by being "that young guy".

Anyway, I'll only go over it if you're willing to say, "Yeah, rework this and I'll most likely use what you have to say."

Just ask Luke or Jeff. I've rewritten a few things for them.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:02 PM #265
MutR.
Shut up.

Quote:
Offering unique, on location lifestyle senior portraits that the 90's kids love, while respecting the traditional art of classic portraiture that parents trust. Together we can work to create memorable senior portraits. Photos you will cherish for a lifetime. (could also read "...senior portraits that you will cherish for a lifetime.")

On-Location
The local big name studios force seniors to shoot at their studio or 'photo park'. These locations are the same as hundreds of other seniors. You are unique and your photos should reflect that. That's why I give you the option to chose any location you desire. From the forest, to downtown, from a beach, to an industrial park, and everything in between. Shooting at your own unique location will provide you with portraits that stand out from the crowd.

No 'pay by the pose"
This is not 1982, seniors are not looking for two or three photos of them in one or two poses. Seniors want a lot of photos, a lot of poses, capturing many different things. So, we give unlimited poses. Each location is a goldmine for different styles of shots, so why waste a beautiful location with only one pose?

Lifestyle portraiture
Unlike standard portraits, lifestyle portraiture is a series of photographs taken have with a relaxed mood, which creates a fun environment for the senior. Because there is no pressure, we are able to get a glimpse into their life. We create more than just portraits, we create photographs showing life. Dancing in a field, swinging on a swing or tumbling down a hill, we will create a strong mix of images

Image sharing
We live in the digital age. Sharing portraits with friends and family via wallet sized prints is still aroundspace here(and offered) but that is not as efficient as sharing your images on the internet. Most packages come with the option of unlimited free internet resolution downloads. Perfect for sharing with friends and family on Facebook, Myspace or Blogs. Many local studios are not willing to provide these downloads without you buying them individually.

Being able to relate
I was a senior not too long ago. Because we were born in the same decade, I am able to relate to seniors better than the older grandpas and ma's of photography. Again, this helps to create a more comfortable mood for the senior due to not feeling like they are being photographed by some creepy old guy. It helps them loosen up, and act more natural in front of the camera. Being shot by a 43 year old is intimidating. Being shot by a 20 year old can be a fun experience.

Because I care
The larger portrait studios have many shoots a day, where they are just cranking out low priced senior portraits like an assembly line. I recognize that the senior portrait experience should be a special one, and you deserve a 5 star, fun experience. We have a blast out there taking photos, and create great shots as a result. I take the time to get to know you. I find out exactly what you want and then we work to create that. I am not the cheapest photographer in town, my seniors choose me because I provide a service that is almost unmatched.
Just some random stuff i came across while reading it. The red words are words i would replace and the bold is spelling or grammar errors. There are a couple bolded pieces of punctuation that arent really noticeable. as being bold.

Fain will probably do a much better job than me. lol

Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 PM #266
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by fainerbainer View Post
i've done proof reading and enhancement on a few pbnation members resumes and what not. If you would like me to I can hang onto what you've written for a few days and pump you out something concise, to the point, and written well if you want to.

Most people don't catch it but you have some things that could be worded better as well as a mix on pronouns that's sorta confusing (I, we). Also, I wouldn't put anything about age in there as a "relating" thing. I relate to people of all ages and you could pigeon hole your marketing by being "that young guy".

Anyway, I'll only go over it if you're willing to say, "Yeah, rework this and I'll most likely use what you have to say."

Just ask Luke or Jeff. I've rewritten a few things for them.
Yeah I would love that. Could I pay pal ya $20 and have it done tonight if possible? Or perhaps buy ya dinner next time you are staying here? My site is going to be featured on a pretty large site (I'll share when it is up) either tomorrow or Tuesday. And if it is tomorrow I would like it to be ready in advance. And I hear ya on removing the age, but I feel I should mention that because that is a huge advantage over some of my competition, as well as I have heard from numerous seniors that a huge part of why they went with me was because of my age. I've also heard that they didn't really know I was young, and when they found out they were happy. SO I think that is gonna stay, but I would remove the last part about being 20 makes a fun shooting experience

Last edited by p8ntcheck45 : 06-30-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM #267
pbjunkiee
Go big or go home

yea fain is a baller writer/editor

st:p hk trollfest 8-29-11
pbjunkiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 PM #268
fainerbainer
CK

Quote:
Yeah I would love that. Could I pay pal ya $20 and have it done tonight if possible? Or perhaps buy ya dinner next time you are staying here? My site is going to be featured on a pretty large site (I'll share when it is up) either tomorrow or Tuesday. And if it is tomorrow I would like it to be ready in advance. And I hear ya on removing the age, but I feel I should mention that because that is a huge advantage over some of my competition, as well as I have heard from numerous seniors that a huge part of why they went with me was because of my age. I've also heard that they didn't really know I was young, and when they found out they were happy. SO I think that is gonna stay, but I would remove the last part about being 20 makes a fun shooting experience
There's a better way to express it. I think when parents read "I'm young, energetic" they will read "I'm just starting out and can be a flake".

I think if you used a few descriptors that keep you "young" but "mature" without sounding like you were bragging would work well. After I have dinner and spend some time with the fam I'll start working on it.

I have a friend coming to Oregon on August 17 and we plan on hitting portland for a day and half. Put us up for the night and it's a deal.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:52 PM #269
p8ntcheck45
Hot Bread Z!

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
There's a better way to express it. I think when parents read "I'm young, energetic" they will read "I'm just starting out and can be a flake".

I think if you used a few descriptors that keep you "young" but "mature" without sounding like you were bragging would work well. After I have dinner and spend some time with the fam I'll start working on it.

I have a friend coming to Oregon on August 17 and we plan on hitting portland for a day and half. Put us up for the night and it's a deal.
Sounds like a plan! I leave for California that day, but Meatchubs and Jake will be here...what the heck Fain, schedule a trip here when I am actually in the building! hahaha

If you do have a better way to word it please by all means throw that in there. Also not sure if I should mention photos are for 'facebook, myspace, blogs' Wad tells me I shouldn't include myspace because its a dead site, but I dunno it sorta seems like I should mention it....also would want to throw in Tumblr and Twitter to that little section.

Yeehaaw!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:36 PM #270
GeoffByrne
Young Simba

GeoffByrne is a Paintball photographer
GeoffByrne is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
GeoffByrne is Legendary
Quote:
Use spell check as I type, need my mom to proof read it but shes in italy right now haha and yeah that makes sense, I'll switch it around. Anything in particular stand out in regard to poor grammar or spelling? Thanks guys, I really appreciate have pbn as a resource to help with this kinda stuff. If there is anything I can help any of you guys with please don't hesitate to ask!

ALso just made a senior only group on FB....olivia renee has one and it has 350+ people...interesting
Jimmy I can't wait to see everything when it's done my man! Like Robbo stated you are a great inspiration and I might try and adapt some of your marketing techniques! That is if you don't mind of course! Keep producing the good stuff and do you, I cant see why anyone would choose someone else in the Portland area!
Keep the inspiration going!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM #271
scienceguy

Quote:

Don't make it too wordy.

The brick paragraphs lose the audience quickly.

Quick bullet points will be his friend. Show the audience that he is organized and professional

Basically what he's saying is, "do you want senior photos like this, (insert typical senior photo of folded arm subject leaning against tree... or the other weird poses they used to make us do) or... THIS," (insert awesome).

My professional team and I achieve this because:
a) We shoot candid lifestyle portraiture
b) We know and relate to the seniors working with them to capture more than just portraits.
c) etc. etc.

In addition:
a) keep your photos (file sharing or whatever your deal is)
b) lots of photos
c) etc. etc.

Something more like that format might work better. Keep it simple and positive.

Just giving the dad perspective.
scienceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:46 PM #272
GeoffByrne
Young Simba

GeoffByrne is a Paintball photographer
GeoffByrne is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
GeoffByrne is Legendary
Although that is kinda true with the boringness of the brick paragraphs I would rather see them then bullets. To me bullets show laziness and that you don't care much. At least when he erupted paragraphs it shows to customers his passion and maturity, not only for his business but himself as well. I would keep the paragraphs , but to each his own and I can clearly see where you are coming from.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM #273
fainerbainer
CK

HATE the bullets idea. It's not a "Here's five reasons why I'm better." I personally love quick, concise, and descriptive block paragraphs. Usually 2-3 sentences long or I lose interest.

Jimmy has it right when he uses a narrative format. Narrative style connects with people more than a stale bullet point format. Basically all I will do is take what he has and remove the jeans and t-shirt and put a suite and tie on it.

I also really hate the use of commas unless really needed to put two congruent thoughts together. I'll clean up the run-ons and conjunctions that don't really go together.