PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-15-2015, 10:13 PM #1
proto_oli plays in the PSP
proto_oli supports DLX Technology
Suggestions for strong 77mm UV filter

Bear with my here, and my short story... I had a 70-200mm 2.8 Sigma that I used occasionally for paintball pics. One day it was hit by a Paintball (possibly a very old paintball) and it broke the Tiffen 77mm UV filter I had on it and it SCRATCHED like really deep, the front element of the lens. Luckily the scratch was near the edge of the lens, so I didnt show up in pictures, and was able to sell it.

Fast forward some years now and I have the Nikon 70-200mm 2.8 VR2, I'd really like to take more pictures of paintball, without endangering the lens that much.. dont want the filter incident to happen again..

Are there any specific brand UV filters that are a bit thicker than most? or should I say, less thin...
PR AllStarz
proto_oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Old 06-17-2015, 09:11 AM #2
outkast kid
outkast kid is a Paintball photographer
Easy solution - don't take a $2,500 lens on the paintball field. You're never going to recover the $$ you lose getting it all mucked up, not worth it. Buy some cheapie telephoto zoom and save your nice gear for real photography.
outkast kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 08:32 PM #3
Haters gonna Hate
prpntblr95 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
prpntblr95 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
prpntblr95 supports Team VICIOUS
prpntblr95 is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
prpntblr95 is Legendary
I've been using a HOYA UV filter on my 70-200 f/2.8 and taken several shots to the filter with zero issues. I love Tiffens ND filters but I wouldn't trust them on a paintball field. I feel they are a little lower quality but that's just me.

And trust me, I've been caught in lanes before and you don't want to cheap out on something that's protecting your lens.

prpntblr95 is offline   Reply With Quote