Community Focus

Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM #1
therealmr
\\\\\ i go on walks /////

therealmr is a Moderator
 has been a member for 10 years
therealmr is reppin' sidebar 4 life
to all my film aficionados

perhaps the next piece of film to be phased out is actually die is E-6 processing.

discuss?

I want to be remembered for the
people I helped make memorable;
personal success is overrated if it
doesn't help everyone's progress.
therealmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 05:09 PM #2
bumpin88

i'm more familiar with C-41. but they way i understand it E-6 is a more complicated process if it is what i'm thinking of, I may be wrong. Correct me if i'm wrong, but E-6 is a two bath developing process. and each dye is developed for separately, blue, red, green. or have i got something mixed up.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM #3
maddermaxx
Das ist nicht Hitler.

If E-6 died, I'd probably die.. I've never shot it, but you can't re-create the look/feel of E-6 with any other process.

"Originally posted by infinital: nah dude as long as im not too ****ed i can type. just usually when i post here i am at that too ****ed point"
maddermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:20 PM #4
24/7

E-6 can be done reasonably easily in a home darkroom. I think it'll end up being a more specialized kind of process and cater more to professionals, but I think labs will still do it as long as the chemicals are produced.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 PM #5
therealmr

therealmr is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpin88 View Post
i'm more familiar with C-41. but they way i understand it E-6 is a more complicated process if it is what i'm thinking of, I may be wrong. Correct me if i'm wrong, but E-6 is a two bath developing process. and each dye is developed for separately, blue, red, green. or have i got something mixed up.
It's just a tiny bit more complicated than c-41 [ specifics ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
E-6 can be done reasonably easily in a home darkroom. I think it'll end up being a more specialized kind of process and cater more to professionals, but I think labs will still do it as long as the chemicals are produced.
I'm not sure if we agree, but we seem to up to a point?

After seeing some new portra scans, I thought that this newly developed print film may reduce the demand for slide film. Over time, becoming something that you'd have to get processed at a specialty lab until being fully phased out - much like what just recently happened with kodachrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermaxx View Post
If E-6 died, I'd probably die.. I've never shot it, but you can't re-create the look/feel of E-6 with any other process.
Is that true? I guess I haven't shot enough slide film to be able to tell; it doesn't seem as graceful or manipulatable as new print film... and that's kindof what I'm hedging this counterfactual with.

Last edited by therealmr : 04-06-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:27 PM #6
24/7

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
It's just a tiny bit more complicated than c-41 [ specifics ]

I'm not sure if we agree, but we seem to up to a point?

After seeing some new portra scans, I thought that this newly developed print film may reduce the demand for slide film. Over time, becoming something that you'd have to get processed at a specialty lab until being fully phased out - much like what just recently happened with kodachrome.
I haven't really looked into developing any color film that extensively, but I know my uncle developed e-6 at home for decades. I know the mixed chemicals don't last very long, but I imagine he worked in larger batches. I know for sure he used to develop his own Velvia.

What I meant was, like you said, it is beginning to become more of a specialty mail-away system, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's about 75% cheaper to develop e-6 through walmart's mailers than it is to go to my local lab.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 PM #7
therealmr

therealmr is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by 207 View Post
What I meant was, like you said, it is beginning to become more of a specialty mail-away system, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It's about 75% cheaper to develop e-6 through walmart's mailers than it is to go to my local lab.
And what's you opinion on the feel of E-6 images next to C-41?

Old 04-06-2011, 08:00 PM #8
24/7

They're cool, the film itself adds a strong feeling to certain shots. It's like the de facto standard for skate shots, and for good reason- it's got a distinct combination of grit and professionalism. Personally, I like a little more forgiveness in latitude, so I don't really have the balls to shoot it. But I guess I should try. I'll grab a couple rolls when I restock my film
Old 04-06-2011, 09:08 PM #9
BackPack
FAQ

I'd be super bummed if E-6 was phased out. It is easily my favorite to shoot (especially Provia), however, the cost to get it processed locally is substantially higher than c-41, and the lack of the "forgiveness" 207 pointed out keep me away most of the time as well.
Casey Lee Photo
"Originally posted by THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK:
Id go with BackPacks enlightening rod of knowledge that was presented ever so eloquently. :tup:"
BackPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:50 PM #10
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
I see E-6 becoming more and more of just a novelty. With the inherent high contrast of the gamma of positive film I don't see much room to increase the compatibility of it for a modern market. As the negative films (you pointed out portra) and sensors continue to get more and more flexible in post due to the ability to capture detail in the shadows and highlights, positive films have no way to catch up. Post processing is so important now a days and again, the positive film's latitude doesn't give as much flexibility as other formats.

What E-6 had going for itself was the beautiful colors (that don't handle mixed lighting as well + are reachable in other formats + processing) and low grain (that negative and digital are catching/surpassing).

I say shoot it while it's here and stockpile some you like to shoot. I personally prefer negative film.

edit: not that I don't enjoy it... I have a roll of Provia100F in my camera right now.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"

Last edited by D:< @ DYNASTY : 04-06-2011 at 10:58 PM.
D:< @ DYNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:51 PM #11
PaintedSaint
lsdpsilocybinmarijuanadmt

This thread makes me feel uneducated, jus' a little.

But atleast im learnin' it.
blog.

Last edited by PaintedSaint : 04-06-2011 at 11:24 PM.
PaintedSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:14 PM #12
Cmizzle
Full Time Tape Head

I feel so dumb
Cmizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:07 AM #13
QuencyJones16
Cause I don't have a gong

QuencyJones16 helped look for balloons
I hope E-6 as well as any other films get phased out for good. Each one has its own characteristics and does not need to go. But to be honest I dont see any going out anytime soon with how many photogs and more importantly professional photogs are going back to some type of film. Maybe not completely but 60/40, with 60% being digital in most cases.

We don't need to lose the past just because something "better" has come out, film has it's own life and needs to stay that way.

I use Canon, oh yes.
QuencyJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM #14
therealmr

therealmr is a Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuencyJones16 View Post
I hope E-6 as well as any other films get phased out for good. Each one has its own characteristics and does not need to go.
Those seem quite contradictory so I'm going to ignore the first sentence and respond to the remainder of your post.

"E-6 death" is a conjecture (not veiled desired result) based on the varying desires and requirements of photographers today and in the projected future. It is a thought experiment designed at better understanding, and thus predicting, the future of the film market.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 AM #15
D:< @ DYNASTY
so pitted.

D:< @ DYNASTY posts videos on PbNation
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuencyJones16 View Post
We don't need to lose the past just because something "better" has come out, film has it's own life and needs to stay that way.
If something better comes out and photographers, aka the market that keeps that product alive, choose to shoot on something else it isn't economically viable for a company to keep producing it.

E-6 won't disappear overnight or anything but I can see it as the "next death", however long that takes.

01' Billy Wing Ironmen + 02' Mark Knop Avalanche jerseys.
2004 Prototype JT Team pants.
Rare flex parts - Celtic, Black Techno + more.
Shocker, Intimidator, 98 Custom.

"there is a property in the horizon which no man has but he whose eye can integrate all the parts"

Last edited by D:< @ DYNASTY : 04-07-2011 at 01:33 AM.
D:< @ DYNASTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:58 AM #16
QuencyJones16
Cause I don't have a gong

QuencyJones16 helped look for balloons
Wow I meant to say do not get phased out for good... How did I miss that.

I use Canon, oh yes.
QuencyJones16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:02 PM #17
Cash_
Uhhh....Whats up?

I think it will be a very long time before E-6 will even be considered to be phased out. With the demand of the Lomo community on films they can cross process (and the lomo community has money to spend on expensive emulsions) will at least keep them a viable option (both the film and the process for putting c-41 through). Also there is a huge market out there for reproduction films with are essentially large format slide film for reproducing works in a larger scale or even for archival processes. Slide film is actually somewhat diverse in it uses outside of the photographic community. Also slide film as others have said has a look all its own, I have seen stitched images from 8x10 provia and literally you can view them from inches away and still discern all the detail. slide film with virtually no grain even down to the microscopic level and its incredible micro contrast and excellent color rendition will continue to be worth the extra effort for the process and lack of DR and latitude. Also the film industry (motion) if keeping a good amount of these processes alive, in fact unlike the ECN-2 /c-41 dichotomy, positive/slide films are the same for the movie industry and they are for the still and that keeps chemicals being produced.

that said I very rarely shoot slide and only for specific subject matter but I admire those who choose it as their medium of choice.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM #18
therealmr

therealmr is a Moderator
Mmm. Very interesting - and I totally forgot about xpro.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:15 PM #19
Warwitch
Corvus corax

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealmr View Post
something that you'd have to get processed at a specialty lab until being fully phased out - much like what just recently happened with kodachrome.
EPIC tragedy.

Reality is for people with no imagination
Warwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 08:07 PM #20
evolancer
改善

evolancer is a Paintball photographer
evolancer is an NCPA player
is the canon T50 any good for film? wanted to start shooting film.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM #21
24/7

Pretty much any 35mm slr will have all the controls you need to learn on. So yeah, go for it