Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Which is the best bolt?
Boss Bolt 288 52.65%
Tect MRT 36 6.58%
Ndz V3 Tru-Flo 8 1.46%
Lurker Eigen 228 41.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 547. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 PM #22
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Lurker27 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Lurker27 posts videos on PbNation
Lurker27 has been published on the PbNation Youtube Channel
Well, we're both here now...

I totally agree with the sentiment that both are quality products and an improvement over the stock bolt. This is not something that could be said for early aftermarket bolts.

I think the differences have been hashed out fairly well in this thread already.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-07-2011, 06:31 PM #23
rcardona8

Responses from the makers of both big contenders! I am amazed how professionally both of you expressed yourselves in your responses. A great example has been set here for the world of paintball!
rcardona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM #24
rcardona8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Crunch View Post
I'm sort of in the same boat here, getting an Axe and I'd like to see which bolt everyone is most happy with. Looks like it's a two way race though so I won't go with the Tech T bolt. Where do you get the aftermarket spring kits from though?
Whichever you get, especially if it's the boss seeing there is a lack of documentation, make sure you post some feedback like a video review. I'm sure it would help LOADS to all others trying to make the same decision.
rcardona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 PM #25
Capt'n Crunch
Bonus Balled Toucan Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcardona8 View Post
Whichever you get, especially if it's the boss seeing there is a lack of documentation, make sure you post some feedback like a video review. I'm sure it would help LOADS to all others trying to make the same decision.
Actually, I'm gonna try to put at least a case through it before I change anything. The only thing I may do when I pick it up Sunday is change the barrel to my Furious Lotus...then again maybe even not that as it will raise the FPS, so maybe I'll just run stock for the first day
Old 04-10-2011, 12:04 PM #26
dlotheuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Crunch View Post
Actually, I'm gonna try to put at least a case through it before I change anything. The only thing I may do when I pick it up Sunday is change the barrel to my Furious Lotus...then again maybe even not that as it will raise the FPS, so maybe I'll just run stock for the first day
Believe me, you will want to change the barrel. I have the ifit kit and a redz 2piece running it together and unless you are running rather big paint to match the stock barrel. either way its going to make a difference between bolts when ya change them out. Im currently running the boss bolt spring kit and a seventh element board and the dwell to a 5. It makes a hell of alot of difference and its quite as hell

Last edited by dlotheuno : 04-12-2011 at 09:32 AM. Reason: none
dlotheuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:56 PM #27
Ty29
Nor Mich raised

So the Lurker works with the stock spring just fine, and the Boss bolt as well? Although for optimal performance you'd want to pick up a softer spring for either?
Ty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:11 PM #28
dlotheuno

it just depends on what ya want. softer spring will sacrafice the speed on the bolt cycle
Old 04-10-2011, 09:30 PM #29
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlotheuno View Post
it just depends on what ya want. softer spring will sacrafice the speed on the bolt cycle
But how fast do you really need the bolt to cycle. You can run a stiifer spring if you want to show off but the stock board is capped at 20 bps. My bolt will do that with the medium spring.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:42 PM #30
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
Faster cycle speeds allow lighter loader speed or tension settings to be used, which actually may improve the brittle pain handling capabilities of your setup. This is because a faster gun has more % of the time the breech is open and ready to accept a ball.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 AM #31
TheBoss33

TheBoss33 is a Supporting Member
TheBoss33 is All In
TheBoss33 is All In
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker27 View Post
Faster cycle speeds allow lighter loader speed or tension settings to be used, which actually may improve the brittle pain handling capabilities of your setup. This is because a faster gun has more % of the time the breech is open and ready to accept a ball.
Yes return speed would have some effect on that. It would be cool to have a high speed camera film that.
TheBoss33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:28 AM #32
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
I actually have some high speed video of the original mini cycling - it's amazing how much you can see the 2 o-ring system working - it's no wonder that the 1 o-ring version of the ndz bolt was quickly shelved. Looks very different than most guns.

I can contact Simon to see if it's OK to release it - I actually was talking to Brycelarson from punkworks about using theirs to get some comparison testing - I know that removing that ring speeds the gun up, but it will be interesting to see how much!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:43 AM #33
Simon
INCEPTION

Annual Supporting Member
Simon is a Mega Moderator
Simon is a founding member
Simon works for a Paintball manufacturer
Simon is playing at Living Legends VII
Simon supports Team VICIOUS
It's all good Ryan, in fact I think it's already on my youtube channel...

At 1000 frames per second...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmGcUr2zYqo

At 2000 frames per second and with a ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho3I3DXlEBI

If you would like us to put any aftermarket bolt on the high speed camera I would be happy to do so. Just drop me a PM and send me one to do it with.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:24 AM #34
dlotheuno

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss33 View Post
But how fast do you really need the bolt to cycle. You can run a stiifer spring if you want to show off but the stock board is capped at 20 bps. My bolt will do that with the medium spring.
Exactly my point, although dont get me wrong i do like to have fun with just unloading every once in awhile. there isnt a point in really going over 15bps currently im using the yellow spring but im thinking i might try the softer one this weekend and see how it handles in the field.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:54 PM #35
Edonis13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
If you would like us to put any aftermarket bolt on the high speed camera I would be happy to do so. Just drop me a PM and send me one to do it with.
ooooooooooo, this NEEDS to be done.
Edonis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:11 PM #36
exrated34

exrated34 plays in the PSP
exrated34 supports Empire
This is by far one of the best threads i've read in a long time. Where else on the nation would you read such professional responces right from the designers mouth. Usually threads like this turn into flame wars. +1 for the people who have put the time in effort to make 2 great products for the axe/mini community, and +1 to the mini/axe community for being mature people who can have a conversation without yelling ridiculous "fanboy" comments.
exrated34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 10:06 PM #37
Chuwbi
1 L()V3 P8n7|34ll

Chuwbi plays in the APPA D4 division
great thread
Old 04-13-2011, 04:24 PM #38
MdBallr
Bing

MdBallr plays in the PSP
MdBallr owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
MdBallr plays in the APPA D3 division
Question...I am literally about to order one of these bolts. I just need to know/make sure, does the eigenbolt come with a spring, cause it wasnt listed? Also just a comment on these 2 bolts, They in my mind and many others are virtually equal and the price is also equal, so the shipping cost does make a difference...

Maryland Mayhem
D3XBall

Play Paintball in MD.
S. Maryland Paintball Young MD-VA ballers looking for a training camp??
MdBallr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:33 PM #39
Bushwood Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBallr View Post
Question...I am literally about to order one of these bolts. I just need to know/make sure, does the eigenbolt come with a spring, cause it wasnt listed? Also just a comment on these 2 bolts, They in my mind and many others are virtually equal and the price is also equal, so the shipping cost does make a difference...
The Eigen doesn't come with a spring. People are using the stock spring or buying the New Designz springs.. The Boss bolt does have a spring kit with it..
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 PM #40
Ty29
Nor Mich raised

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdBallr View Post
Boss bolt with springs is $36 shipped to me.

Eigen is $30 shipped, plus NDZ Spring kit, which is around $7-10 more. Prices are almost equal, Eigen is more.
Ty29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM #41
MyJTRox
CE

MyJTRox plays in the PSP
MyJTRox is an NCPA National Champion
MyJTRox plays in the APPA D3 division
MyJTRox supports Empire
I have no idea of a release window, but Lurker is in the process of developing a spring specifically for their bolt. I'm going to run stock until that comes out.

My Feedback (Before new system)
University of Wisconsin -Whitewater Paintball Team Alum
2009 NCPA Class AA National Champions
APPA
MyJTRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:05 PM #42
Lurker27
Engineering the Future

Annual Supporting Member
We'll have springs in shortly. Not a kit, though, we analyzed the stock bolt's natural frequency and made a single "perfect tension" spring for those wanting a softer return/even lower pressures - The stock still may be slightly more consistent and definitely higher ROF. The "perfect tension" is somewhere between "medium" and "hard" in the TechT kit, at least.