Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Is Ramping a handicap??
yes i can one ball kids 18 72.00%
no some people need it 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-22-2011, 04:58 PM #127
RojPup

Quote:
Originally Posted by r90t View Post
As a pump player with a long tourny background, and having posted on this before, it sucks to ramp on a bunch of new guys with rental 98s.

With that said, I took out some old semis, tuned them up, and took one out to the field on hard ramp, i.e. 3 trigger pulls, then ramp to hopper speed (Revy) and jumped on with friends that are (local) tournament players and they seemed kind of pissed that I was hitting them with a stream of balls game after game. 5 trigger pulls and 10 balls in one second and 6-8 hitting in target. First one may have broken on target, but it had a dozen following in flight. It was so fun, and I then put the semi away and broke out the pump again to play with the same group.

The point is, they didn't like getting ramped on, even when they were ramping, when lots of balls were hitting in quick succession. Imagine how a first time player feels when an experienced player does it to them or unloads a hopper and 4 pods when they have a 200 round hopper.

To keep new players playing, we have to play fair against them. I'll take a break in the 50 if playing against inexperienced players and only shoot when one moves to close to one of my players when I play rec ball to slow the game down, and to maximize everyone's fun.
This. This this this this. If anything, this is why I'll still prefer good 'ol semi-auto. I can decide how fast I wish to fire and only have to think about shooting faster or slowing it down. I'd rather pop out with a 3 shot burst (not a mode, just pulling the trigger three times) and hit my target instead of covering him with 10 balls.

Though I do have to ask those who have been playing since before ramping modes were legal: has overshooting got better or worse? It'll be different anywhere, but common sense would tell me that it would get worse, but I could be wrong.
RojPup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-22-2011, 05:02 PM #128
daman00912

daman00912 supports Team VICIOUS
[quote=Irish916;71960001]Lol psp ramping is 12.5bps, it's not fast enough to give retarded advantages and it's never about needing it. You really don't understand this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daman00912 View Post

I'm not sure what your point is for the first sentence. Regardless of my post the original quote was stupid and ignorant.

Regardless of what format you play and how much you clearly don't understand. You're anti-ramping ideas stem from team of recballers w/ semi vs team of scrubs with ramping. Obviously uncapped ramping in rec play is bad, we aren't discussing this. My point is learn completely what you're arguing about before you make yourself look stupid.
I think you should stop being rude and go troll the new play threads!
daman00912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM #129
dannydutton

While it certainly is fun to shoot a rope of paint at a case a minute just lightly tapping your fingers on the trigger, using it against anyone that can't ramp is unfair. If everyone has high-end electros, go ahead and waste paint but don't make some renter's life miserable with 15 welts from one trigger pull. That's what causes people not to come back.
dannydutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 02:52 PM #130
neuropsyence

Quote:
Originally Posted by RojPup View Post
Though I do have to ask those who have been playing since before ramping modes were legal: has overshooting got better or worse?[/i].
I'm a ten year guy and I'd say it's gotten worse. It's not so much the older players though, as I've seen most experienced players using a pump or semi. It's all these new kids with their G4's, Mini's, and what not that only ever talk about bps. The particular group I'm thinking of were about 14, and were still scared of getting hit. They'd hide in the back and once we moved up to take them out, they would pop up and unload on us. Those kids definitely upset the newer players on our team, and it's not good for getting people into the sport.

Though I will say we beat them more often than not with Autocockers and 98's. Dumb Kids.
neuropsyence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:57 PM #131
RojPup

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuropsyence View Post
I'm a ten year guy and I'd say it's gotten worse. It's not so much the older players though, as I've seen most experienced players using a pump or semi. It's all these new kids with their G4's, Mini's, and what not that only ever talk about bps. The particular group I'm thinking of were about 14, and were still scared of getting hit. They'd hide in the back and once we moved up to take them out, they would pop up and unload on us. Those kids definitely upset the newer players on our team, and it's not good for getting people into the sport.

Though I will say we beat them more often than not with Autocockers and 98's. Dumb Kids.
The only shot that matters is the shot that gets the other guy out. It may take the new kid with the non-descript high-end electro half a case of paint a game, but I'll do good with just a hopper and a pod at best.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM #132
Ginga G

Sure you might be able to achieve 15 bps on semi but can you maintain that? I think this is where ramping becomes most useful, a consistent stream of paint in the air. Shootin lazors.
Ginga G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:21 PM #133
Nahib_Stilgar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginga G View Post
Sure you might be able to achieve 15 bps on semi but can you maintain that? I think this is where ramping becomes most useful, a consistent stream of paint in the air. Shootin lazors.
In a way I also see that as a problem. The gun does not stop shooting when you do. Semi has far more control in that regard. I would rather go up against someone capable of shooting 15bps semi than someone 12.5 ramping because I know the semi can control their shots, limiting the amount of bonus balling that goes on (and if it doesn't then you know exactly who is to fault.)
Nahib_Stilgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:27 AM #134
RojPup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahib_Stilgar View Post
In a way I also see that as a problem. The gun does not stop shooting when you do. Semi has far more control in that regard. I would rather go up against someone capable of shooting 15bps semi than someone 12.5 ramping because I know the semi can control their shots, limiting the amount of bonus balling that goes on (and if it doesn't then you know exactly who is to fault.)
Exactly. It's quite easy to just hold down the trigger and give some 4-7 bonus balls, but it takes a real dbag to just be able to hold it down and hose you. I can completely understand 15bps capped semi, but not full-auto. <7bps F/A would be acceptable, considering that most people can easily shoot about 7bps across the board on whatever gun they've got.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:21 PM #135
The Real Elite

The Real Elite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Real Elite has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Real Elite has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Real Elite has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Someone is always going to think ramping is good. Someone will think its bad. Since this is in the Recreational Player thread. Its frowned upon not bad. I will usually play pump or semi with low cap in rec, but if people are shooting at me with 12 bps ramp on a rec day of speedball then I will shoot back that. If every one can do it then go for it. If you want to shoot alot of paint go for it.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:53 AM #136
Racso
It R go good w/ Pizza

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Racso owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Racso is Legendary
I only use ramping if the tourney allows and is capped at 12 bps, for the sole reason that I can simply shoot faster than 12 bps. In semi, If I am pulling 15 bps when it is limited to 12 bps, the gun will only actually shoot about 8 bps because it wont consider all my trigger pulls and will only see the pulls that come at least 1/12 of a second after the last pull.

However, if ramping is allowed, then I'll put it in so just so my gun evens out my 13+ bps and doesn't skip shots.

Now if the rules were 12BPS ramping or unlimited semi, then I would keep it in semi.
Racso is offline   Reply With Quote