Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

View Poll Results: Is Ramping a handicap??
yes i can one ball kids 18 72.00%
no some people need it 7 28.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM #43
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Gangstalicious is for the Gunfight
Gangstalicious supports Sherwood Forest
Gangstalicious posts videos on PbNation
Gangstalicious has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxedpaint View Post
Ramping does not belong in the sport at all if you ask me. It is a handicap for people who are incapable of shooting consistently. It's all a dog and pony show for companies anyway, who's gun can shoot faster and who's gun can blah blah blah. Semi Auto Mechanical System X Auto Cocker is what I have and I love it. I will also very soon have a G3R. In my opinion, if you can't shoot semi, then you don't belong playing the game. With ramp, there is no talent anymore, people are all leveled and massive amounts of paint are shot in order to get people out, no strategy, no balls, no fun. Just my opinion.
so, since PROFFESIONAL PSP paintball players shoot in ramping mode, they don't belong in the sport?
Gangstalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2011, 03:40 PM #44
keeperdude
Ramblin' Wreck

keeperdude is an NCPA player
keeperdude plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangstalicious View Post
so, since PROFFESIONAL PSP paintball players shoot in ramping mode, they don't belong in the sport?
QFT

BIG thanks to:
Nitro Paintball
keeperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:43 PM #45
Irish916
eThug

Irish916 plays in the PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadbubba1337 View Post
In other words, you are doing it wrong. Don't you need to maintain just five or six bps to maintain the ramping?
I'm not doing anything wrong. I just simply don't think "Oh **** lol, I should slow down my fingers, moving them this fast is unnecessary lololol."

Quote:
This and they also lack any sort of skill, their guns just do it for them.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:52 PM #46
keeperdude
Ramblin' Wreck

Absolutely. They are professional simply they can shoot more paint than anyone else....but ramping keeps them shooting at a constant rate...and anyone can ramp...so therefore, anyone can play pro right?? Sign me up!

BIG thanks to:
Nitro Paintball
Old 04-04-2011, 05:41 PM #47
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeperdude View Post
Absolutely. They are professional simply they can shoot more paint than anyone else....but ramping keeps them shooting at a constant rate...and anyone can ramp...so therefore, anyone can play pro right?? Sign me up!
if you really think that, then go for it.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 PM #48
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
I'm not doing anything wrong. I just simply don't think "Oh **** lol, I should slow down my fingers, moving them this fast is unnecessary lololol."

This and they also lack any sort of skill, their guns just do it for them.
wow, proffesional paintball players lack any sort of skill. ill be looking for you beating all the pro teams out there then.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:43 PM #49
Fubarius
Yep, it's orange.

Annual Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Fubarius supports our troops
Fubarius has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Fubarius is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish916 View Post
I didn't play recballers with a handicap so I could boost my ego. Just because they lose doesn't mean they have to pack their **** up and never come back. I could care less about bragging that I beat recballers with a huge handicap. I did it because me and 14 other people thought it'd be a fun challenge and recballers would rather have it that way than us using hoppers and being capable of higher rates of fire. If they win, props to them. They didn't win just because they had hoppers, they had to be doing something right as well.
Just do me a favor next time. Play however you want, but just divide the teams properly. Half experienced with half new verses the same. Trust me, EVERYONE will have a considerably more fun game that way. Remember, one of the best parts of non-practice play is that you get to shoot at your regular teammates for a change.

000110 200 11202 10 000020
012211 021 22110 22 121101
222001 222 10220 00 022212
Fubarius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:25 PM #50
keeperdude
Ramblin' Wreck

Quote:
if you really think that, then go for it.
I guess that was my fault that you misunderstood me... i thought the was implied. So just to clear up what Irish and I are saying...

BIG thanks to:
Nitro Paintball
Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM #51
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

Quote:
I guess that was my fault that you misunderstood me... i thought the was implied. So just to clear up what Irish and I are saying...
call me a noob, but i didnt bother learning what dodgy means.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM #52
Quacker

Quacker owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Quote:
Just no. Chill out.

And what pray tell makes low RoF paintball "real" paintball? How is it any more legitimate than tournament style play? Sure more people play it...but paintball is paintball. There is no "real" paintball and there is no "fake" paintball. As long as your are out there shooting paint at the baddies then you are playing paintball. Just because you personally don't enjoy a certain flavor of paintball doesn't mean it isn't good.

And that is precisely what ramping does. The difference is that it levels the playing field up as opposed to down. Some tournament it would be if everyone were using rentals. I'm sure PSP and NPPL would be really fun to watch then. At a rec field the playing field should be lowered down to new players can enjoy themselves. At competitive tournaments it is leveled to a high end standard.

No kidding, I haven't seen a single person in this thread who said otherwise. No one said that we want to ramp against rentals. But people need to stop with the blanket statements saying ramping is always bad, if you ramp then you are a douche. Thats wrong, ramping makes tournaments more fun and competitive, but it sucks if you are playing rentals/people who don't ramp.

You need to re-read what I wrote originally. I specifically stated that ramping has a place in tournament play and that if you want to ramp, ramp against people who can ramp back. I think tournament paintball is very cool if everybody is on the same level, but this is a rec forum and in general rec play, I think ramping is very stupid.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:19 PM #53
Sideburnz
Insert Witty Title Here

All the hate up in here, wow.

Let's all just step back, relax, and take a deep breath.

Just like any other issue or topic of interest in OUR sport, not a matter of "Woods VS Speed VS Rec VS etc..."...but as a collective, together, OUR sport...most of you can't see the big picture. It's like you're looking at a single tree when you should be looking at the forest around the tree as well, a forest made of many trees. A lone tree isn't a forest.

Enough analogies though. What has been said has been said, and it equates to one grand question:

To ramp or not to ramp?

I'm going to admit, at first, like back in the hey-day of 05-06 (yes, I'm starting to become one of the old breed unless I'm already there, but that's besides the point)...I thought it was one of the worst conceivable things to happen in OUR sport. The fact that it removed trigger skills and allowed just about anyone with cognitive brain functions whom could pull a trigger with quick enough successions with a single finger to turn their markers into spray guns.

However, I would like to call myself a noob back then and still learning to this day.

I feel ramping is here to stay and it does have a place. That place is in organized, competitive play at the regional level and higher where it can be properly sanctioned. Where the focus is no longer on who has the best gear or fastest trigger fingers, but what team is better prepared or capable of making the big, aggressive movies. It's paintball at its finest, the use of finesse and tactics to outsmart and outwit the opposing team in a fast-paced game of chess. It's a throwback to OUR roots that Bob Gurnsey and company created the National Survival Game from.

However, where ramping has no place and DOES NOT belong is on the recball field amongst rentals.

Last weekend for example, I went with a couple of teammates of mine for a relaxed day of play at Paintball Asylum in Louisville, KY. I only have semi-auto guns, they both use 12-15 BPS ramp, but they turned them onto semi-auto and we just played for fun, shooting people up and getting shot. With competition not quite to our level, not that we were the greatest or anything, but because most of them were walk-ons and rec players, we split ourselves up to even the odds some games or played outnumbered as well. We didn't beat up on them, in fact, we lost a about as many games as we won because we kept playing until we got teams as even as possible skill-wise.

The reason why ramping has no business in rec play is a large majority, not all, but a large majority of players of that skill level get overly excited with adrenaline running and don't know how to maintain trigger discipline. I believe it's a common rule-of-thumb that you stop shooting as soon as you see the first ball break and eliminate the opponent. Granted, there may still be anywhere between 6-10 balls in the air still, but that is all part of electro play anymore. We've come to accept that as long as it's no intentional or deliberate bonus-balling for the sake of being a jerk. I don't mind getting shot 5 times, it's part of it, but if it's like 10+, then it's bonus-balling. With that said, someone without trigger discipline and ramping, every trigger pull, they hammer on it, that's 2-3 shots per pull, so those 6 balls or so that were normally in the air is now about 12-18.

From personal experience, 15+ in being bunkered by someone whom fits this description, it's not pleasant at all. I'm relatively experienced at competitive play and used to it, but that one even hurt me bad, I couldn't imagine what it does to a kid physically or psychologically to get torqued like that.

Ramping or not amongst them, it comes down to whom is pushing and making the moves to work the angles on the bunkers.

It's just paintball, it's not a life-or-death situation where you lose your soul is forfeit to the devil or something. I say if you are experienced and know your marker and your competition, if you think it's fair and you won't seriously harm someone or kill any fun they're having, ramp away at a capped, safe setting. Stops your fingers and forearm from being sore as hell the next day, that's for sure. If you're just starting out and get twitchy and scared all over the trigger, it might be best to stick to semi-auto until such a habit can be broke to conserve paint, save money, and promote safe play at the rec level still.

Less hate, more play in OUR sport, guys.

http://joshualburns.daportfolio.com/ - My 2D/3D portfolio. Still in college and working to get better.
Sideburnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:26 PM #54
Gangstalicious
I play paintball

i played a game with ramping this weekend, i didnt really like it very much. too fast for me, even though i capped i at 10 bps. i think i'll just stick with uncapped semi, because i can stop the stream when i want instead of shooting 3 more than i want to shoot. meh, i guess it's just personal preferance and company of players. even when im playing against the tourny players at my field, i still used uncapped semi. and theres is one guy at my field that uses litteraly, 30 BPS ramping. it gets pretty annoying. it is okay, to use decently capped ramping(10-12 bps) with walk ons only if the teams are equal(ex. 4 ramping using players split 2 per team, with the rest of the walk on's split evenly) and to whoever said something about psp players playing tournaments with only tippmans, that would be pretty sick, i'd pay to see that.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM #55
The Real Elite

The Real Elite owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
The Real Elite has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Real Elite has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The Real Elite has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I will solve this.

In recball if your playing people that are below your skill level and are first timers just one ball it and just chill around the field. Let the new people get the shots by telling them where a guy is and where to move to get that guy out. If I'm out there playing and I see a guy ramping on some newer younger people. I will politely ask him to: A. Turn down his cap to 10 or B. Change to semi. and I will tell him to take it easier on the newer players.
The Real Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM #56
gospeedgo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideburnz View Post
ramping has no place and DOES NOT belong is on the recball field amongst rentals.
i agree with this. you are going to push away new players that can keep our sport/hobby going by lighting them up. even shooting my etek 3 on semi feels like cheating which is why i switched to pumping with a mini orracle (no autotrigger).
gospeedgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM #57
PBTRADER15o

PBTRADER15o owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
PBTRADER15o owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Psp Is Not A Way Iff Ranping Its The Way U Play!
ATX AGGRESSION #14
PLACED 5th IN AXBL DALLAS
PBTRADER15o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:47 PM #58
manwee
Explosive Kittens

manwee supports Team VICIOUS
Ramping is fine in recball IF it is capped at a low ROF. just because someone is ramping doesnt mean he is shooting Supa hax lazorz

"Are they my balls all over your face?"
Karma Police 12 - "OMG IT has the worlds first ever SLPR (super-low pressure lpr) cause its gonna run at negative psi. worlds first ever anti-matter marker."
SquareDorito,"I shoot and it's going right at them, then the wind comes in and is like LOL JK!!"
".......then I busted to the spike and shot like 85 guys...did a run through...wiped five hits...bonus balled six kids in the dead box...and punched a little kid in the face......."
lucasicool is my best friend. I call him Rocky
manwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:29 PM #59
ooo itz nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxedpaint View Post
Ramping does not belong in the sport at all if you ask me. It is a handicap for people who are incapable of shooting consistently. It's all a dog and pony show for companies anyway, who's gun can shoot faster and who's gun can blah blah blah. Semi Auto Mechanical System X Auto Cocker is what I have and I love it. I will also very soon have a G3R. In my opinion, if you can't shoot semi, then you don't belong playing the game. With ramp, there is no talent anymore, people are all leveled and massive amounts of paint are shot in order to get people out, no strategy, no balls, no fun. Just my opinion.
agree
ooo itz nasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:42 AM #60
o5pr3y
Watch out for Snakes!!

Annual Supporting Member
o5pr3y plays in the PSP
o5pr3y plays in the APPA D4 division
o5pr3y has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
o5pr3y is Legendary
o5pr3y is Boss
I don't even see it having a place in competition. If you take that extra leap and learn how to shoot faster than your opponents, it's just an extra advantage. they don't tell NFL player to throw no more than 15 yards, or MLB players to only run one base at a time.

NORCAL CLASSIC#09
ANSgear / Zephyr / 31st Outfitters / Cutting Edge Paintball Shop / Santa Clara Paintball / American Paintball Park

Dangerous Power Rev-I // Angel Speed 05 FST // Both with extras!
Box O' Timmy parts!
"To kill for yourself is Murder, to kill for your country is Heroic, to kill for entertainment is Harmless"
o5pr3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 AM #61
loneassassin
A Grim and...

Quote:
i played a game with ramping this weekend, i didnt really like it very much. too fast for me, even though i capped i at 10 bps. i think i'll just stick with uncapped semi, because i can stop the stream when i want instead of shooting 3 more than i want to shoot. meh, i guess it's just personal preferance and company of players. even when im playing against the tourny players at my field, i still used uncapped semi. and theres is one guy at my field that uses litteraly, 30 BPS ramping. it gets pretty annoying. it is okay, to use decently capped ramping(10-12 bps) with walk ons only if the teams are equal(ex. 4 ramping using players split 2 per team, with the rest of the walk on's split evenly) and to whoever said something about psp players playing tournaments with only tippmans, that would be pretty sick, i'd pay to see that.

Same here. Even when playing against D2-3 teams who are all ramping, I find that I put my gun back on semi after a few rounds. (not in competition, of course.) I don't like that I can't really shoot slowly. I've tried bumping up the "ramp-activation" speed on my board to around 10bps, but due to my extensive years of playing exclusively semi (and shooting damn fast, even with mechanical semis), I hit that 10bps threshold immediately and it goes into ramp anyway. Plus, there's the fact that with my (and most boards), it measures the fastest string of 3 shots, not the number of shots in an actual second.

The thing that a lot of newer players (and by that I mean anyone who started in the last 10 years - I can say that ) don't realize is that not-shooting, or shooting slowly can be an effective strategy. I won't go into that unless people want me to, but the point I'm trying to make is that with ramp turned on, it's very difficult not to shoot a constant stream. Hell, anymore I even cap my semi at around 14bps. I don't need or want to shoot any faster - higher bps is just a waste.

And to comment on the PSP thing, my question is, why not a cap on semi? They have the equipment to measure rof, why not make it semi? I truly think that something was lost when they allowed ramping. I agree, something had to be done about the rediculous rof/bounce, but I think that true semi requires more skill, and would really seperate the men from the boys...just my thoughts.

My halfblocked Trilogy pump:
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...6/P3250486.jpg
loneassassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 AM #62
ooo itz nasty

ramping is lame..constant paint all game= no skill and i play in tournys ftw!!!
Old 04-07-2011, 08:32 AM #63
ooo itz nasty

I miss the old semi tournys!!!!!!!!