AzaTuR supports Cereal Killerz 2
AzaTuR helped look for balloons
AzaTuR supports Bob Gurnsey
AzaTuR is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AzaTuR supports Pev's Paintball
AzaTuR is Legendary
AzaTuR is Boss
Paintball "Bombers"

In reference to airplane bombers, how do they work?
AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-29-2011, 03:15 PM #2
Boom Master
Scenario Player

There are simulated aircraft in paintball war games. Most common are helicopters. Attack and transport. A fancy helicopter is a pole with a propeller on top and an egg timer to simulate the fuel supply and remaining flight time. When the pole is touching the ground, it has landed and everyone in it can be eliminated by markers. When the pole is held in the air, it is in flight and can only be shot down by a RPG Nerf round. Tank Nerf round, a SAM site, or an attack helo or other attack aircraft. Attack helo is a player with a marker and hand thrown nerf rockets (Hellfire Missiles). They can just run around and straffe enemy positions, blow up HQs, objectives, bridges, etc. Transport helos have a rope attached that a squad of players have to hold onto while they run with the pilot to their mission objective. They cannot fire or be killed by markers while in the air but the second it lands, all heck breaks loose...

Air Strikes, Carpet Bombing, Space Based Weapon Systems, Artillery Barrages, etc. are simulated in scenario game play.

General calls the strike, advises the HQ ref WHERE on the map he wants it and WHEN he wants it. OFTEN ASAP!

The head ref gets another ref to go to that location and calls everyone out within the kill radius of the event at the appointed time.

Actual use of planes, are problematic. Safety of dropping projectiles is always a concern. If it is a actual aircraft such as an ultralight that is regulated by the FAA, dropping objects from or shooting AT an aircraft is a crime....

I'm still waiting to hear the REAL Story about why Oklahoma D day no longer uses an ultralight to dump paintballs on players.

Radio controlled aircraft/blimps just can't carry sufficient weight OR are just too expensive to risk using and losing. Hasn't happened YET to my knowledge. Even just equipped with a camera for recon....

Why? What ya thinking about?

If you haven't grown up by age 50........

You don't have to......

Last edited by Boom Master : 03-29-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Boom Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:27 PM #3
AzaTuR
¼ Skill ¾ My Shocker™

Annual Supporting Member
AzaTuR supports Cereal Killerz 2
AzaTuR helped look for balloons
AzaTuR supports Bob Gurnsey
AzaTuR is reppin' sidebar 4 life
AzaTuR supports Pev's Paintball
AzaTuR is Legendary
AzaTuR is Boss
How does this work?

Bomber
Has the ability to fly a simulated bomber aircraft for up to a
20-minute time period each flight. The aircraft can carry one pilot and normally up to four additional passengers.
Bomber pilot and passengers can not shoot from a flying aircraft at ground troops. They may engage with other aircraft.
A Bomber aircraft will be carrying 1 or more bombs. They will drop their bombs and if the bomb goes off all ground troops within a 50 ft radius will be eliminated.
Bomber pilots are forbidden to land their aircraft to engage the enemy.
Should a passenger let go of the aircraft's rope while in flight, he is eliminated. If the pilot lets go of the rope all are eliminated.
AzaTuR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 12:49 PM #4
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yep, something like that. It varies from game to game.

To have a bomber like that you have to have a countermeasure for it.

Something like a fighter or interceptor aircraft. Stinger missles, Anti aircraft batteries, etc.

Have to maintain a balance of power or the players start complaining...

For example, the Head Ref for the bomber team advises the head ref of the other team of the time of departure of the bomber. Then he can advise the opposing general to "scramble" his fighters after picking the bombers up on "radar".

It would be up to the defending team to have "spotters" and field communications to the HQ to direct the fighters into the right area to intercept. Otherwise, they are just on random patrol and may or may not be able to intercept before they run low on gas....

OR you might want designated anti aircraft guns. Long barreled markers that shoot a specific fill color. Have to be moved and manned by two players. Something like that...

So go make a bomber, a fighter, and some anti aircraft markers after you talk to the field and producer. Be happy to help with some designs.

You don't have to......
Old 07-07-2011, 09:12 PM #5
SAS Voodoo

In a big scenario that a few of our chapters went to, we had a few players travel by personal aircraft. they used the aircraft to fly over the battle zone and direct feed it to the general at HQ. If memory serves me correct i think it was this past living legends that they used it.
i also know about a few people that use rc planes and helis to spy and drop some ordnance on playes. they are on the big scale and worth some big bucks.
SAS Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:35 PM #6
(NMA)SixSigma

Why not just create an actually paintball UAV how awesome would that be, an Airhog with a paintball gun and a wireless camera. ok maybe not an airhog, but Im thinking that this really could be possible with a gas powered helo.
Commandment #1: I am the War Lord and the wrathful God of Combat and I will ALWAYS lead you from the front, not the rear.
-Marcinko
(NMA)SixSigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:11 AM #7
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Yeah, If I win the Lottery, hire a defense contractor to lease one of their old prototypes, refit it with a marker, and get the FAA to waive their regulations about dropping anything from an aircraft, that would be great....

OK D Day dropped paintballs from an Ultra light one year. Grapevine gossip was the FAA got involved. Ultralights are not supposed to fly over populated areas and whether a paintball field in the middle of nowhere with 4000 players on it consitituted an additional violation. Anyway, haven't heard of one since. All gossip and second hand info.

Cruised the internet to explore the fantasy of using an RC BLIMP for recon with a wireless video camera. Just to haul the weight and batteries, it would be a sizeable blimp in the 15-25 foot long range. Commercially available for $15,000 to $25,000 and not designed to be paintball resistant.

However, a tethered Blimp would be much more affordable if the wind was in the right direction.

You don't have to......
Old 08-01-2011, 10:27 AM #8
ace_austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Master View Post
.....Attack helo is a player with a marker and hand thrown nerf rockets (Hellfire Missiles).
Speak for yourself....I come loaded for bear.

Now if I can get Engler to loan me one of his MA DUCE replicas it "should" fit into the same cradle. Now, if I can just convince the boss.... maybe if I "promise" to have it back by Monday....

All kidding aside, it it 100% legal to drop things from your aircraft. Per Sec. 91.15 — Dropping objects.
No pilot in command of a civil aircraft may allow any object to be dropped from that aircraft in flight that creates a hazard to persons or property. However, this section does not prohibit the dropping of any object if reasonable precautions are taken to avoid injury or damage to persons or property.

The fact it was directed at people was likely what got the FAA cheesed off.

Last edited by ace_austin : 08-01-2011 at 10:36 AM.
ace_austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:53 AM #9
10-shot kid

theres been a helo with a side gunner at big games in NY in the past.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 AM #10
DeadeyeDante
Booper of Noses...

DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends V
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VI
DeadeyeDante is playing at Living Legends VII
DeadeyeDante supports Team VICIOUS
DeadeyeDante supports Empire
I actually would love to see a "recon craft" done at a Scenario game, with 2 guys in an Ultralight, just have em floating around over head, limit them to 20 minute recon runs, and they can't fire on enemy troops, but can radio troop movements to ground forces.

This may have potential....hmmm....>_>....
E-Flex Army
DeadeyeDante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:57 PM #11
CAJ

Aircraft

Keep an eye out for aircraft at OK D Day 2012 this year. I heard a player is bringing an FW 190 to the game. Not a real one but like ones before, rides atop a motorized chasis. . .

Tanker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadeyeDante View Post
I actually would love to see a "recon craft" done at a Scenario game, with 2 guys in an Ultralight, just have em floating around over head, limit them to 20 minute recon runs, and they can't fire on enemy troops, but can radio troop movements to ground forces.

This may have potential....hmmm....>_>....
CAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 03:28 AM #12
mexi ca40k
Pump Playa

mexi ca40k is playing at Living Legends V
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k is for the Gunfight
mexi ca40k supports Pev's Paintball
mexi ca40k has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
mexi ca40k is attending Decay of Nations VI
What happens of some one shoots the heli though?
mexi ca40k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM #13
Boom Master
Scenario Player

Generally, Helicopters are immune to paintballs and small arm fire. When they land, (helicopter pole is touching the ground), you can shoot everyone in it with paintballs.

To eliminate an airbourne helo, You have to use a RPG or tank cannon round which magically becomes a "Stinger" / anti aircraft unit and the Nerf has to pass through the 'plane' that the helo occupies. Basically, an imaginary box the length and height of the helo. Transport helos tend to be a bigger target with 6-8 guys holding onto a rope attached to the pole.

At many games the helos can engage each other in the air with their paintball markers.

In addition to transports, they can have attack helos that can straff enemy positions and hand throw Nerf rockets (Hell Fire Missiles) onto tanks, bunkers, and such.

D Day however does things completely differently and I have not kept up with how they do it. Rules are on their website.

Each field and producer handles things differently with helos. Varies a LOT.

You don't have to......