12" dye ironman series barrel
core tac DF w/guage
bob long torpedo reg
PE 68/45k
Old 11-24-2003, 06:29 AM #2
ShootPaint
Dazed and Confused

has been a member for 10 years
Here are a few I have been able to produce and how I did them.

Fades

A Fade can be achieved by slowly lowering the part you wish to color into the dye solution over a extended period of time. Stepper motors work very well for this. The area that is in the solution the shortest time will have the least amount of color to it. The trick is to be consistant in lowering the part into the dye solution over the dye time frame. To do the second part you simply Flip the part 180 degrees and start the process over.

Here is a pic of a Fade and Splash rolled together into one marker. This is not the best examply because it was the first time I tried to achieve either, but you will get the idea.

Splash

This is probably the easiest effect to achieve.
A Splash can be done by simply throwing some kind of sealant on the area of the part you want to keep from taking the base color. Rubber cement and tool insolator dip work really well for this.
With some kind of sealant applied to the part dye the darkest color first.
When the dark color is done simply remove the sealant and reano in the lightest color.
The areas that we covered with the sealant will now take the new color.

I have also done this with the ano stripping solution. You dont want to leave this on the part very long at all!!! Just enough to fade the color!!!

Acid wash

I dont know if this is the correct way to preform this or not but I have got some very good results from using this technique. Dye the part one solid color, it needs to be the darkest color first.
Once the part is dyed splash it with bleech to remove color from the areas you want to re-ano.
Make sure to rinse the part with cold water, do not use hot water when rinsing. Make sure to rinse the part extremely well.
Dye the part in the next lightest color

I have also done this with the ano stripping solution. You dont want to leave this on the part very long at all!!! Just enough to fade the color!!!

Here is a pic of the acid wash proceedure used above.

Another good site to check out to find out more information about anodizing is www.finishes.com

Last edited by ShootPaint : 11-24-2003 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:26 PM #3
cracker344

do u think u could use anno stripper on a brush and do designs in to a base coat of anno.

then re-anno the same piece a different color so those designs sho up?

SP MOD'd Silver ICD BKO 2k3
tantrum chip
Egg2 w/ Y-board
Vapor Bolt And Vapor Valve
12" dye ironman series barrel
core tac DF w/guage
bob long torpedo reg
PE 68/45k
Old 11-24-2003, 05:28 PM #4
ShootPaint
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally posted by cracker344
do u think u could use anno stripper on a brush and do designs in to a base coat of anno.

then re-anno the same piece a different color so those designs sho up?
You would be better using a sealer to do that.
You are basically describing a Splash type Ano job.

The Splash is two colors the secondary color is simply applied by removing the sealer and doing the next lightest color. Only problem here is if your design is very precise you are going to have problems producing it with a brush. There is a very small bleed pattern that will occure under the edges of the sealer.

I am not sure what kind of a design you are looking to do so I am unsure of how to answer your question.

If you look in the second link I have provided you can see where I tried to do a paint splash in the milled area of the marker as well as the some words up by the barrel. This was done by sealing the area off with rubber cement.