Community Focus

Archived Thread - Cannot Edit  
Old 12-01-2003, 03:13 PM #22
BMJoker

has been a member for 10 years
BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
BMJoker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BMJoker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
The prizes were sufficient for Div III. especially considering it was thrown together pretty much at the last minute. All D3 teams should be thankful for the opprtunity to play teams at their x-ball skill level, and not have to battle it out with D2 teams that have been playing the format all year.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:15 PM #23
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl is a Supporting Member
raehl plays in the PSP
raehl supports our troops
raehl is an NCPA National Champion
raehl plays in the APPA D5 division
Exactly..

If they hadn't had a DIII at all those prizes could have gone to DII teams.

Everyone pays the same entry. Why should DIII/Rookie teams be getting prizes for being worse than DII/Novice teams who don't get prizes?

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

American Paintball Players Association - www.paintball-players.org
Old 12-01-2003, 08:31 PM #24
LilSnoopy
*J-Bow*

so your saying that the winners of div 2 xball dont get any prizes?
Team Xtreme #1
Old 12-01-2003, 08:47 PM #25
Fat Adam
Boom..Headshot

Fat Adam supports Pev's Paintball
Fat Adam plays in the APPA D5 division
no hes saying..that some of the div2 teams who didnt finish high enough for prizes..wouldve beat the div3 winners...and the div3 prizes should go to div2....
LNIB Black/Gold Clone VX FS!
Old 12-02-2003, 06:05 AM #26
LilSnoopy
*J-Bow*

no that is not always true, quite a few of the rookie teams are better than some of the low ranked novice teams. Just becasue you sign up for div 2 does not mean you are better than everyone in div 3.
Team Xtreme #1
Old 12-02-2003, 07:12 AM #27
Booya39
STORK

Booya39 is a Supporting Member
Booya39 is a founding member
Booya39 is a Professional paintball player
Well since MOST of the DII teams didn't get prizes, raehl's statement is true. There were probably 25 teams in D2 that didn't get prizes and the D3 top finishers would have probably finished in the middle of that 25 and recieved ZERO prizes.

If you think school is hard, try being stupid.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:15 AM #28
scantron
NOR EAST

scantron is a founding member
scantron plays in the APPA D3 division
we got 4th place in d3 i didn't expect anything for prizes
i would have to say that getting your entrance fee paid for in the next tournament and some paint is good enough for d3

now on the subject of bumpping to division2 i think that i myself would rather play in the lower division if my team would only wind up getting in the middle of the pack of d2

if you want to talk about who should not get prizes is the super squids in the ncpa xball those teams are a joke
any of the top d3 teams would smoke the college kids
we staged during a college game between clemson and penn state and it was almost funny to watch the moves these guys made these guys make me think that they need a d4
Old 12-02-2003, 12:14 PM #29
Booya39
STORK

...hey guess what, the college teams don't get prizes!!! they play for fun, imagine that.

Some of the college teams are less experienced, yes, and then you have other college teams who have a lot more experienced players. That would be like watching the 2 last place Div3 teams play and say... wow, all Div3 teams really suck. (I'm not implying that clemson or penn state are the worst college teams b/c I never got to see them play) ... so I guess you suck since you played Div3??? I hope you see the poor logic.

I would love to see the first place college xball team and their alumni play your team.

Old 12-02-2003, 12:27 PM #30
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Purdue would mop the floor with you.

You have to realize that there are many college paintball teams, and they all play in the same division in college ball. And a LOT of our teams are new teams. They get spanked pretty bad by the experienced college teams, but they still manage to have a lot of fun, maybe because we don't tolerate cheating and BS behavior.

Anyway, Purdue is probably one of the best-coached X Ball teams out there (they're definitely better coached than Strange or Dynasty), and while they don't have the player talent of Dynasty or Strange, they shouldn't have any trouble mopping up a DIII team.

You might be surprised what college teams have pro/am and novice players.

- Chris

National Collegiate Paintball Association, President - http://www.ncpapaintball.com

Old 12-02-2003, 01:43 PM #31
Soulfly

talking trash on the college teams is pretty weak. yeah, they have fun like booya said, yeah they have some solid players like raehl said. guess what, theyre probably not as busy practicing for the PSP as most of the other teams are. Being in college, your priorities often tend to be grades and maintaining a social life, in addition to that whole finalizing what youre gonna try to do with your life. Not to mention college teams are at the immediate disadvantage for keeping players because most college teams dont have the same financial support as a sponsored team that travels.

People play their divisions. There will always be the people who belong in their division, and the people who dont. Most of all there will always be winners and losers, and its usually the latter who complain for no good reason.

anyways, back on subject. If you get anything covered for winning D3, be happy. Rookie divisions arent where you want to get a pay-out. I think you should be hoping for sponsorship, not that the league will hold you on a pedastal eventhough you may have played a phenomenal tournament.
Old 12-02-2003, 03:15 PM #32
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
Heh, actually..

Some of the college teams, especially those who have been around a while, are funded as well or better than national Amateur teams. We have a few who have annual budgets that exceed $30,000 in cold, hard, cash. It's all about milking the University for every dime.

Course, that's not true for everyone, but much worse for player retention than money is graduation/withdrawal. Most teams lose a few of their best players each year to graduation. Teams like Purdue and Illinois who are good every year are only able to do it by constantly recruiting and training new players.

- Chris

Old 12-02-2003, 03:20 PM #33
BMJoker

BMJoker donated to help Peyton Trent
BMJoker has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BMJoker has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Way to make DIII teams sound like a bunch of whiners guys!

*Thanking god i'm playing DII next year*
Old 12-03-2003, 12:14 PM #34
scantron
NOR EAST

better coached then strange or dynasty
hahahaha
then they should bump up to div1 and play for some nice prizes

and going to college and practicing regularly is no problem since i do it every week end and several other of my teamates do as well
Old 12-03-2003, 12:38 PM #35
Booya39
STORK

but don't you play Div3 with the rest of the "super squids"... ???

If you and your teammates go to the same college... have you ever thought of getting money from the university to play????

Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 PM #36
scantron
NOR EAST

yes i play with all the squids some are even on my team

but do you seriuosly think better than dynasty or strange

come on really?

Last edited by scantron : 12-03-2003 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:00 PM #37
Booya39
STORK

chris was obviously off when he said they had better coaching. He never said they were a better team overall or that they had more talented playesrs.

go play the top college xball team and their alumni and you'll have more respect for college paintball.

Old 12-03-2003, 03:26 PM #38
LilSnoopy
*J-Bow*

we have never played xball before and we are going to try it for the first time this upcoming season. And we are going to start off in Division 3. If we do good we will definetly move up and play division 2. But we need to try it first and get a taste before we make and decisions. I personally want to play Div 2 right off the back, but the team wants to play some d3 before we get too ahead of ourselves.
Team Xtreme #1
Old 12-03-2003, 03:30 PM #39
raehl
NCPA President

Annual Supporting Member
raehl is a Moderator
raehl plays in the PSP
I said they are better COACHED than Dynasty or Strange, I didn't say they had more talent or that they'd win. And I firmly stand behind that statement, as the coaching for the DI teams is pretty bad, especially for Dynasty. It was obvious that they'd put no thought into coaching before they got to Cup. That they still got second place (I think both of their losses were caused by bad coaching) is a testament to how good their players really are, because Dynasty wasn't playing X Ball, they were playing 5-man on an X Ball field.

If you ever get a chance to watch Purdue play X Ball when Paul Eiff is coaching you'll see how it should be done. Paul knows how to move the players around the field, and more importantly, the players know how to be moved. That's a lesson lost on the vast majority of X Ball teams, and while good coaching won't get you wins if you stink, it'll certainly get you wins if you're at least close to as good talent-wise as your opponents.

If you show up to an X Ball tournament and you don't already know who your coach is you're in trouble. You can't just walk on an X Ball field and play like you play 5-man. It's different. It's also why I think some of the NXL folks complain about the coaching so much - it's not that coaching is a bad, they'd just rather get rid of it than adapt their playing style to something new.

- Chris

Old 12-04-2003, 12:22 AM #40
richardh299
IowaState-NCPA Vice Chair

So.

Scantron, I was thinking after i read your post. I realized some things.
1) Scantron is playing rookie ball.
2) Scantron obviously isn't an experienced or exceptional player, otherwise he wouldn't be playing D3 X-ball.
3) SK and Rocky Knuth are exceptional players that have earned the right to knock the talent of others.
4) Scantron should wait until he is on the level of an SK or Rocky Knuth before he tries and knock the skill of another team or player.

On a side note i am willing to bet there are teams in the NCPA that could have possibly won D3.
Also I believe purdue has players from both Shocktech/Viscious and Vicious/Diesel

Do you think your team Could hang with either of those teams?

You called NCPA teams "Super Squids", what the Heck is that?!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:23 AM #41
coltman887
self proclamed genius

coltman887 is a Supporting Member
coltman887 plays in the PSP
coltman887 is an NCPA player
coltman887 plays in the APPA D3 division
richard you just made my statement for me, the person that is just starting out shouldn't be shoved in with the other guys that have been playing the format for a while. I mean its like putting a rabbit in with a lion. Who is gonna win?

Div. 3 is there to give people who are starting x-ball and chance to learn the format, and get playing. Just like they have beignner tournaments. They are there for beginners to learn about tournament format.

I mean raehl what you are saying is that they should take all the people that have maybe played x-ball once or twice and throw them in with other teams that will jsut pound the **** outta them. Thus we come back to the rabbit and lion scenario

it just makes sense to have div 3

My Old Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=333743

My New Feedback:
http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=25854
Old 12-04-2003, 10:33 AM #42
scantron
NOR EAST

sk and rocky knuth were did that come from???

no i didn't watch purdue play at cup so i cant comment on them
i understand that coaching is extremmly important in xball
that is why some teams in the nxl do badly (la ironmen)
they really dont have a permenant coach like philly has daryl trent willl college xball be at the next event?

as for viciuos players and shocktech i am unframilar with who plays on who roster
but how can a player play both college xball and regular 10 or divisional xball??? i that even legal

richard you having to ask what it means makes you a squid