Find fields and stores
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM #1
 has been a member for 10 years
advice from any VCs

I wanted to find out how you guys got involved with venture capitalism and what some common routes are to get a foot in the door. I recently graduated with a degree in business and would like to get my mba. I am looking into Investment Management, Entrepreneurship, Accounting, and finance. Your advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Team DC Nasty
DC Mob
flyb4udie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Old 02-02-2011, 09:31 PM #2
I'm Going To Disney World
I'm far from a VC, but I've met and talked to a bunch. I'm an undergrad business student myself.

So apparently the most common route into VCs is Investment Banking - most people do a 2-5 year stint, grab an MBA, and hop into a hedge fund, PE, or VC.

Alternatively, lots of guys come out of PE shops themselves- KKR, Blackstone, Silverlake, etc. Then there are the odd men out that come from consulting backgrounds - McKinsey, Bain, BCG, Oliver Wyman, etc.

And then there's everyone else. Start-ups, tech firms, you name it.

Hope that helps a bit.
TheAZN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:05 PM #3
Living is the functionary
Superzeus is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Basically what was said above. You come from a high level finance job which means going to a balling undergrad business school, getting a good GPA (3.7+), and doing the right extracurriculars.

That or you are successful in your own start up, which could mean coming up with the next twitter from your garage dressed in a bath robe.
Superzeus is offline   Reply With Quote