Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-07-2011, 09:07 AM #1
FU2N

thoughts and/or opinions on getting your dog microchiped

what the title says. im interested in peoples views on the topic.

i personally dont like it, but thats me
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-07-2011, 10:14 AM #2
IRPancake
ppanackcakakak

You dont like the idea of your dog having a better chance of being returned to you? Makes sense.
""its a maxima...my car is a special edition v6 twin cam 3.5 liter...we clocked the thing in stock 1/4mile in 12 seconds without anything. the place we dragged it was on a road my friend KNEW to be a quarter mile. the specs were 235 horsepower dont ****ing tell me to get off drugs

edit: timed it with a stop watch 12.35 seconds""

Originally Posted by Spock: "Which part of your life learning, reason and experience dictate that your status in the afterlife depends on your acceptance of a 2000 year old carpenter as your savior?"
IRPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 AM #3
FU2N

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRPancake View Post
You dont like the idea of your dog having a better chance of being returned to you? Makes sense.
well i dont have a dog. all my past dogs i have had did not have a microchip and they went there they wanted and came back, like a normal dog does. then again im old school in my views, im just asking other peoples opinions.
FU2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:11 PM #4
tonycon
Knuckleheads Paintball

Annual Supporting Member
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
tonycon supports our troops
tonycon is Legendary
tonycon owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
i think it is a good idea. granted i don't have my bulldog chipped, he is too lazy to go anywhere but the couch. on the other hand the wife's pug is a runner, and he is chipped just in case the little retard gets out of the yard.

Proudly Sponsored By:
PBExplosion VirtueSpire Valken Paintball

KnuckleHeads Paintball Team
Game footage
tonycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:16 PM #5
the_silly_taco
i wrestle bears at night

the_silly_taco is reppin' sidebar 4 life
there is no reason not to get your dog chipped, granted mine is not but she knows were she is fed.

edit- you may not need one but there is no negative of having one.

Last edited by the_silly_taco : 03-07-2011 at 04:47 PM.
the_silly_taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:22 PM #6
comom

Here's another way to look at it- maybe your dog doesn't go too far from home on it'sown, but what if someone took it? A registered microchip would prove the dog is yours (of course that would only be after you've found who has your dog).
comom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59 PM #7
outlaw19
VA's Finest

outlaw19 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
outlaw19 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I don't see anything wrong with it. I can't remember if my parents got one put in our yellow lab or not. But she doesn't run away or anything. She knows not to go outside of our yard. Even if we take her hiking in the woods she will stay close, unless she sees a deer then she will chase it for a few seconds and come back.

outlaw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:34 AM #8
deadpooll
Loudmouth

We got our dog microchiped not long after we got him. We didn't want to take any chances of losing him if he got out. Turns out I we didn't really need to microchip him after all. Every time he has ecsaped the fenced in backyard he just runs right to the front door. Still, I am glad we did microchip him. If I ever lost him I would be devastated.

Corporate Donors: Commissioned Credentials, ANS Gear, Zephyr Paintball
deadpooll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 01:18 PM #9
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
my old puppy we rescued came with a chip in her. i remember because we couldnt rub her belly for a couple weeks after we got her. i thought it was a good idea in case she did ever get out. poor dog though i can't imagine what went on with her before we got her. didn't help she would get seizures every once in a while, and ended up having a stroke barely around the age of 5, paralyzing her back legs and causing her to have a nasty bladder infection. RIP Tila, one of the best dogs a person could as for.
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 02:19 PM #10
NeCanes
TBO

NeCanes plays in the PSP
NeCanes owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
NeCanes is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
Tank already had on when I first got him. I just had to pay to activate it.
NeCanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:46 PM #11
Nalayah

All ours are microchipped, and our cats too (they were rescues). We had one get stolen, they were able to identify her about 12 hours away. Unfortunately she broke loose during a storm .

1978 Suzuki GS750
2000 Honda CBR 600 F4
Nalayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM #12
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 is for the Gunfight
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
My husky and my pit/boxer are chipped. If they ever get out they come to the front door and just sit and wait, but if someone were to take them, makes a little more secure knowing I could find them.

Has Anyone Seen My Nods?
Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-
Pr1m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM #13
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
there are two main companies that do the microchipping. one of them you pay a little bit to keep it active but it also provides something like 10 grand of insurance for your dog if it does get out and something bad happens like he gets hit by a car.

it would also be good in that situation because a vet can only keep an animal stable they wont go dumping a bunch of money into a dog that they have no idea who the owner is or if they will come pay the bill after they put a ton of money into it. they would simply scan the chip and get in touch with you or if it was active with the insurance they would simply fix it.

there is no down side unless you pay for the service and never use it but then you are being a responsible pet owner and having a little insurance for around $40 a year is worth it. if you cant afford $40 a year you shouldn't own a pet.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM #14
Exzist
Golder

has been a member for 10 years
Exzist plays in the APPA D4 division
I would absolutely endorse getting any pet microchipped. All four of our dogs and our deceased cat are chipped. I hate hearing the horror stories of dogs getting out and somehow also getting out of their collar (which I have heard of many times), there is then no way for someone to identify that dog/pet as yours to return it. Unless you have given pictures to local animal shelters (and they are in fact looking at the pictures) and keep in touch with the shelters regularly, chances are your pet would be gone.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 PM #15
PBninja8
Jason Read

PBninja8 supports Pev's Paintball
both of my dogs have been chiped from the day we picked them up when they were 8 weeks old never needed to rely on the chip for anything but incase the event were to arise were you would need it its nice....so my opinion yes get your animals chiped
Old 03-22-2011, 11:50 PM #16
dapope12
drink my holy water

dapope12 plays in the PSP
dapope12 helped look for balloons
dapope12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dapope12 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
dapope12 supports Team VICIOUS
getting a dog chipped is a great idea for two reasons.
1- if your dog ever runs away and is picked up by animal control or taken to the pound then it will be returned to you
2- as someone stated it can prove that the dog is yours. my grandmother bought a special bred poodle and after her house was broken into someone stole (yes someone stole a dog ) it. but by some freak bit of luck the guy who stole it was arrested for some other charge and the dog was taken to the pound, they scanned for a chip and it was returned to my grandmother.