Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM #169
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self
 
teamsilentassassins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
teamsilentassassins is BST Trusted
teamsilentassassins plays in the PSP
teamsilentassassins supports Team VICIOUS
teamsilentassassins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
You're fun.
But I can't join in? Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean.

Getting along? What?

Mods, get this hacked account off here.
__________________
LIVEWIRE

ATO@WKU Colony

By the way, when you see a vagina, your whole world will change. --Thunderstick

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
teamsilentassassins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM #170
EmPirat3
︻┳デ=—
 
EmPirat3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Vegas Xtreme
Annual Supporting Member
EmPirat3 is a Supporting Member
EmPirat3 posts videos on PbNation
EmPirat3 plays in the APPA D4 division
EmPirat3 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
You're fun.
yeah, it's hard to deny the emboldened thread title! haha, I suppose I am wasting my time. Again, have a good evening all!
__________________
EmPirat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:21 PM #171
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsilentassassins View Post
But I can't join in? Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeean.

Getting along? What?

Mods, get this hacked account off here.
Shhhhh!
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:27 PM #172
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self
 
teamsilentassassins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
teamsilentassassins is BST Trusted
teamsilentassassins plays in the PSP
teamsilentassassins supports Team VICIOUS
teamsilentassassins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPirat3 View Post
yeah, it's hard to deny the emboldened thread title! haha, I suppose I am wasting my time. Again, have a good evening all!
Don't move: he can't see us if we don't move...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spracks21 View Post
Shhhhh!
I'm teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelling.
__________________
LIVEWIRE

ATO@WKU Colony

By the way, when you see a vagina, your whole world will change. --Thunderstick

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
teamsilentassassins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:35 PM #173
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsilentassassins View Post
WHOA WHOA MOTHER ****ING WHOA.

If anyone in here quotes anything from Harry Potter, it'll be me, thank you very much.
BWAHHH HAH HA HA... :fives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPirat3 View Post
I will not waste my time.
I swear I've heard this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPirat3 View Post
If you have found an answer, to keep searching for an answer is never to have came to a conclusion in the first place.
I can't even understand this statement, let alone the one after it. Just because you have an answer doesn't mean it's the only or best answer, even from your point of view. "Just because" is an answer, but I don't think you'd argue it's the best answer for any question. But then, it kind of seems like you are.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsilentassassins View Post
Don't move: he can't see us if we don't move...
Man, you're on today.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 05:38 PM #174
teamsilentassassins
Treat Yo'self
 
teamsilentassassins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA
teamsilentassassins is BST Trusted
teamsilentassassins plays in the PSP
teamsilentassassins supports Team VICIOUS
teamsilentassassins has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
BWAHHH HAH HA HA... :fives:
I will admit to the nation for the first time: I am the biggest Harry Potter whore (not fan, that was a few years ago, I've moved past that) on the whole nation lulz. When the last movie comes out in July, I swear I would be cool with dying and figuring out which one of us was right, ya bastard.

Quote:
Edit:


Man, you're on today.
What can I say, we all have good days, and the mean kids are being nice for once.
__________________
LIVEWIRE

ATO@WKU Colony

By the way, when you see a vagina, your whole world will change. --Thunderstick

wow. your argument has more holes than the failed condom that resulted in your birth. --MaLfUnCtIoN3
teamsilentassassins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:52 PM #175
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Interestingly, guys, research has shown that individuals with poor relationships/attachments to their fathers tend to take the opposite religious stance. Those with theistic fathers become Athiests, those with Athiest fathers become theists.
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:16 PM #176
Splatter Effect
Proud Angel Owner
 
Splatter Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Splatter Effect helped look for balloons
Splatter Effect supports Team VICIOUS
I'm atheist and so was my dad, we had a relatively piss poor relationship i would say, or at least not a typical happy relationship in the sense of most. Out of curiosity where did you find that information?
__________________
JWU 2013
UNH 2015

Cereal Killerz & Free Agent FS!

PBreview Feedback (+2/-0)
Splatter Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 10:26 PM #177
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavesport001 View Post
Interestingly, guys, research has shown that individuals with poor relationships/attachments to their fathers tend to take the opposite religious stance. Those with theistic fathers become Athiests, those with Athiest fathers become theists.
Seems to make sense to me. If you despise the person who is supposed to be your main role model, you will strive to not be like him, and/or will be repulsed, in a way, from the beliefs that define him.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:59 PM #178
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Troll View Post
Hi everyone,

I am super excited to kick off this year in HB with the SUN, ESPN, and most importantly our saturday fellowship time. In order to get as many of us there as we can we are looking at 5pm and we will meet in the center of the vendor area close to the bathrooms.

This is a great time to hang out, meet some new people, hear some testimony, hear some word and pray for teams, event, and paintball in genral.

Looking foward to seeing you all there, beliver or not.

Thank you
To his Glory

I would think God would be embarassed to have people praying to him over paintball, or any sport for that matter. But then, I don't really get the faith thing.

Why can't people be more like Ray Allen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Allen
People always want to say that shooting the basketball is God-given ... and everyone isn’t blessed with that. I say my ability to shoot is my ability to want to go out and work every day at it, prepare, and just stay zoned in and try to figure out how to get better each day.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:32 AM #179
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS
 
T3H_MA$TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
So yea. I know were all big fans of argumentation ...

http://commonsenseatheism.com/?p=50

Fantastic resource.
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
T3H_MA$TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 02:58 AM #180
IRPancake
ppanackcakakak
 
IRPancake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatter Effect View Post
I'm atheist and so was my dad, we had a relatively piss poor relationship i would say, or at least not a typical happy relationship in the sense of most. Out of curiosity where did you find that information?
fight club

Quote:
Tyler Durden: Shut up! Our fathers were our models for God. If our fathers bailed, what does that tell you about God?
__________________
SmallTalk:Automobiles
""its a maxima...my car is a special edition v6 twin cam 3.5 liter...we clocked the thing in stock 1/4mile in 12 seconds without anything. the place we dragged it was on a road my friend KNEW to be a quarter mile. the specs were 235 horsepower dont ****ing tell me to get off drugs

edit: timed it with a stop watch 12.35 seconds""

Originally Posted by Spock: "Which part of your life learning, reason and experience dictate that your status in the afterlife depends on your acceptance of a 2000 year old carpenter as your savior?"
IRPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:53 AM #181
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Nah I heard it on a podcast, I'll try to find the studies.

Ok, it was mentioned on this podcast I was listening to:

http://doubtreligion.blogspot.com/20...atherless.html
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster

Last edited by wavesport001 : 04-01-2011 at 10:59 AM.
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 PM #182
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
A point worthy of attention:

http://rationallyspeaking.blogspot.c...ated-news.html

Quote:
I have been doing public outreach for science since I originally moved to Tennessee in 1996. It has been a fun ride, and I’m sure it will continue to be that way for many years to come. But two of the first things I learned when debating creationists and giving talks about the nature of science were: a) nastiness doesn’t get you anywhere; and b) just because you have reason and evidence on your side doesn’t mean you are going to carry the day.

Hence, my sympathy for the mild mannered approach of Carl Sagan as evident in, say, The Demon Haunted World, or The Varieties of Scientific Experience, and my dislike of the more in-your-face take of those such as Dawkins, as fun as the latter may be for the in-crowd. Up until recently, however, I could only back up my preference with reasons of personal taste and anecdotal experience. Not any longer, now there is hard data.
...
Subjects who were primed to imagine their death prior to reading the passages were inclined to like Behe better than Dawkins, and to accept ID accounts over evolutionary ones. The inference being that — as we all suspected — people are drawn to creationism out of emotional fears of personal annihilation, not by reasoned discourse.

Here is the first kicker, however: when the researchers also gave subjects an additional reading, from Carl Sagan, the results were different. In the short passage, Sagan was explicitly arguing that scientific explanations of natural phenomena do not have to detract from meaning (yes, I know that Dawkins also writes about this, but much less forcefully and convincingly, I think). The Sagan piece had the effect of countering Behe’s, even among people who had been reminded of their own mortality. Pretty neat, heh?

But there is more. An additional experiment was carried out by focusing on undergraduate and graduate students in the natural sciences, instead of the broader samples from the general population examined previously. Even after thinking about death, these subjects still favored biological explanations over Intelligent Design, and they even liked Dawkins better than Behe. It seems that education might trump people’s fear of mortality enough to make them understand that science is more sound than religion when it comes to explaining the natural world.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 04-05-2011 at 09:02 PM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:46 PM #183
Treghc
 
 
Treghc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Seattle
Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
It's funny that theists think we atheists must live in fear of the end of life. If you're like me, and you are to believe that we are made of star dust, originating from the same central point that all matter originated from 13.7 billion years ago, then you must take notice that you and I are, in fact, alive in this very moment. We are living. And not just living, we are living, thinking, advancing, cognitive, sentient beings able to ponder how life is made and what the purpose of matter is. If this wonderful phenomenon happened (which, if current evidence is correct, this DID indeed happen), what's to keep it from happening again? Sure, it may not be instantaneous, but we have the rest of the time left in the entire universe to assemble, once again, in to another life form. Or maybe even something more than a life form for the next go around. If our current perception of time holds true, then it would literally be a blink of the eye after our death before we're reconfigured in to some other cognitive being.

I find it extremely humbling to know that we are all one in the same; we're all from the same materials, we all hold the same connection to the universe around us, and we all are just as important and just as unimportant as everyone else around us.

That's a nice finding, Umami. Thanks for posting it
__________________
“But men, they say a lot of foolish things. In the end, the only words I can find to believe in are mine." - Joe

Tarsier Slave


We are Sapien
Treghc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:02 PM #184
Krampus (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 650
I find it funniest of all that people would let beliefs regarding faith govern their relationships with society.
Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:03 PM #185
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
I find it funniest of all that people would let beliefs regarding faith govern their relationships with society.
Why? What else would they let govern their relationships?
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM #186
Krampus (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Why? What else would they let govern their relationships?
Personal values. I see where you're going with this (I think), but I didn't mean for the original statement to be taken super literally.
Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM #187
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krampus View Post
Personal values. I see where you're going with this (I think), but I didn't mean for the original statement to be taken super literally.
Gotcha. I'll just note that many people's personal values are based on their faith (as I think you were getting at), and let everyone think of that what they will.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 PM #188
Krampus (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
Gotcha. I'll just note that many people's personal values are based on their faith (as I think you were getting at), and let everyone think of that what they will.
You know me too well Umami (if it's okay for me to be casual on the boards). I hope the misunderstanding regarding my blog and that anger emoticon got solved, I'd hate to think you are under the impression I'm an impatient *******.

Last edited by Krampus : 04-05-2011 at 11:51 PM.
Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:06 AM #189
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
Unami, that sounds like Terror Management Theory.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_theory
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump