Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 07:13 PM #190
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS
 
T3H_MA$TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Not that it relates to atheism/religion (it does relate to general skepticism), but i dont think i definitively believe in the moon landing anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ollo+zero&aq=0

watch the series (7 videos). i think it takes about an hour. its interesting at the very least.
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
T3H_MA$TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2011, 08:05 PM #191
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
It relates to general skepticism in that if you were a true skeptic you'd be skeptical of those videos.
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:38 PM #192
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS
 
T3H_MA$TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
usually i am, but that one is intriguing. Did you watch even a little bit of it?
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
T3H_MA$TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:36 PM #193
wavesport001
 
 
wavesport001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: The River
I did watch some of it, and it's the same tired arguments shown with nice video. Conspiracy theories are intriguing, but ultimately they are a house of cards. This series of videos, if you can stand to watch them, does a good job of debunking the moon landing conspiracy theory:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8Vbp894PFU
__________________
"It is always better to have no ideas than false ones; to believe nothing, than to believe what is wrong." -Thomas Jefferson

"it really doesnt matter what you say on here. if there was truly evidence, it would come from a professor, not from a member on pbnation.com." - Anonymous poster
wavesport001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:44 PM #194
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS
 
T3H_MA$TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
ill try and make it a point to watch it tonight.
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
T3H_MA$TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 11:05 PM #195
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
The only thing you need to keep in mind when listening to moon landing conspiracy theories is that the USSR never questioned it. They had more to lose than anyone, and fully accept that we landed on the moon.

Of course the true conspiracy theorist would tell you the USSR and the US government were in cahoots, but that's a whole new can of ridiculous.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:47 AM #196
Krampus (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
The only thing you need to keep in mind when listening to moon landing conspiracy theories is that the USSR never questioned it. They had more to lose than anyone, and fully accept that we landed on the moon.

Of course the true conspiracy theorist would tell you the USSR and the US government were in cahoots, but that's a whole new can of ridiculous.
I love conspiracy theorists. A great reality check.

But I must say, it's not crazy at all to think of all the world leaders being friendly with each other, regardless of what policy choices they make. I mean, Fidel and Carter are old school homies
Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:37 PM #197
DayoftheGreek
I hate you
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
While we're on the topic of crazies...

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Scienti...n_being_a_hoax
__________________
FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=665897

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:32 PM #198
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Just finished reading the entire Sandman collection (75 issues), holy good god that was a great experience. I even cried at the end.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:49 AM #199
spracks21
Zap Rowsdower
 
spracks21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Lincoln, NE
spracks21 plays in the PSP
spracks21 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
spracks21 supports Team VICIOUS
Made me rage a bit inside...

Taken from the politics section.
__________________
Aimless Factory
#21
spracks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 AM #200
T3H_MA$TA
MEMFAMOUS
 
T3H_MA$TA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
 has been a member for 10 years
Goddamnit I love my state.

There is no amount of that i could give for that ****in black guy. "Just because you have all these prefixes and suffixes attached to your name ..." are you goddamn kidding me?
__________________
Lambda Chi Alpha
T3H_MA$TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:18 AM #201
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK
sursum tuum obama
 
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Denison, Tx.
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK supports our troops
Hi.
What gets me is how someone can base their entire reasoning and the very existence of everything on a flawed, contradictory, and damning book by picking and choosing what fits their belief.
It seems to me that if your backing up your existence with a book from god, wouldn't he make it total.

But what the hell.
I won't deny the existence of god/gods/gargleblaster or whatever though. I mean... It all came from somewhere. But then again, that could just be me just explaining what I don't understand with fantasy. Damnit religion!
__________________
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.
Red River Firearms LLC
YouTubes
FBook
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 AM #202
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK View Post
But what the hell.
I won't deny the existence of god/gods/gargleblaster or whatever though. I mean... It all came from somewhere. But then again, that could just be me just explaining what I don't understand with fantasy. Damnit religion!
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:22 AM #203
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK
sursum tuum obama
 
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Denison, Tx.
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK supports our troops
Got interesting about five minutes in.
__________________
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.
Red River Firearms LLC
YouTubes
FBook
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:30 AM #204
Brown LavaLamp
WhatsThatSmell?Voltaire#6
 
Brown LavaLamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Escondido, California
I've never posted here before, but I am a Humanist and looking for good company of those on the same page (or at least the same chapter, if you will).

I'm rather confused as to why theists find it necessary to require hard undeniable facts and evidence just like every other rational person to support insignificant statements and motives (for example: a rational person and/or theist would not choose a particular diet system without hard facts to prove that it works, or at least can work) but when facing arguably the most controversial and biggest questions humans have yet to answer (what happens after death, what created all of this, god or no god, etc.) they use this silly little concept called faith to justify their reasoning.

The **** boggles me, and seems to always be on my mind, or at least in the back of it. I'm quite a zoned out ponderer.
__________________
**** it
Imagine

No need to. No! No need to feel.
I've got a nothingness and that's all that's real
Brown LavaLamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:56 AM #205
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
As long as they aren't denying proven science and destroying our schools in the process or ruining the planet because God gave it to us to use up, or denying people equality under the law because damn those gays touching dicks while I'm trying to eat my cereal in the morning, I guess at this point I don't really care anymore.

And I wouldn't call faith silly, I have faith the sun will rise in the morning. I have faith that I will get paid tomorrow. I have faith that if I need him, my brother would let me crash at his place. Unfounded faith is something else entirely.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.

Last edited by Umami : 04-14-2011 at 01:59 AM.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:26 AM #206
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK
sursum tuum obama
 
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Denison, Tx.
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami
As long as they aren't denying proven science and destroying our schools in the process or ruining the planet because God gave it to us to use up, or denying people equality under the law because damn those gays touching dicks while I'm trying to eat my cereal in the morning, I guess at this point I don't really care anymore.

And I wouldn't call faith silly, I have faith the sun will rise in the morning. I have faith that I will get paid tomorrow. I have faith that if I need him, my brother would let me crash at his place. Unfounded faith is something else entirely.
IMHO. All faith is, by definition, unfounded.
Basing your actions on unproven, false or discredited data in hopes of a different outcome is, imo the most basic attribute of faith. (and insanity for that matter)
You don't have faith in the sun rising. You know it will. Not because an astronomy book told you it would, but because you can see it with your own eyes and observations of the world around you.
You can prove your work, so to speak.
No one says, if you don't accept without question that the sun will rise in the morning you will burn in hell for all eternity.
I wouldn't call it faith.

ETA: stuff and things.
__________________
You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas.
Red River Firearms LLC
YouTubes
FBook

Last edited by THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK : 04-14-2011 at 04:29 AM.
THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 PM #207
270KIDZ
My Boat, My Rules
 
270KIDZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_INCREDIBLE_BULK View Post
You don't have faith in the sun rising. You know it will. Not because an astronomy book told you it would, but because you can see it with your own eyes and observations of the world around you.
No. You saw that the sun rose today. You have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. You can never know that anything is going to happen. You can only make presumptions based on what you know already happened.
__________________
ST:S:F - 2010 Co-UNK Memorial Relentless Troll of the Year

"Originally posted by Nips80: You are the best poster ever! I wish I could be like you!"
"Originally posted by Ninja Mouse: Please teach me how to be as awesome as you!"
"Originally posted by Treghc: You are my hero and my idol. If you were gay like me, I would totally make love to you."
"Originally posted by Umami: Please let me have your babies. I want my children to have at least one parent that isn't retarded."
270KIDZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:26 PM #208
Umami
AFK IRL
 
Umami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laniakea
Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Quote:
Originally Posted by 270KIDZ View Post
No. You saw that the sun rose today. You have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. You can never know that anything is going to happen. You can only make presumptions based on what you know already happened.
I prefer to call them predictions based on well-known patterns rather than presumptions. Substantially less faith is required to believe the sun will rise tomorrow than to believe an unobservable supreme being exists.
__________________
Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I am affiliated with Lurker Paintball. My opinions are my own and do not reflect those of LurkerPB.
Umami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:40 PM #209
DayoftheGreek
I hate you
 
DayoftheGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Burlington, NJ
 has been a member for 10 years
Faith and belief are loaded christfag words 9 times out of 10.
__________________
FEEDBACK: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...hreadid=665897

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 PM #210
barrel roll
secedere
 
barrel roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: FL/GA border
barrel roll is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
barrel roll is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umami View Post
I prefer to call them predictions based on well-known patterns rather than presumptions. Substantially less faith is required to believe the sun will rise tomorrow than to believe an unobservable supreme being exists.
Great, the world is going to ****ing blow up 5 minutes before sunrise tomorrow. Thats what we get for being dicks.
__________________
--- UNDRPRVLGD Goggle Straps n stuff ---
If this be treason, make the most of it.-Patrick Henry
I'm a damn veteran, I've got more rights and privileges than you do.
MQ2 rebuild kits, MP4 ram rebuilds, general 'cocker teching
Will soon be making super slick mid/half block bolts
barrel roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump