Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-08-2011, 07:16 PM #22
omar1982

Quick update:
I feel like that I got a good feedback regard an Army paintball team. I spoke with the Fort Lee MWR today and their outdoor rec manager is interested into seeing my perposal regarding the starting or creation of an Army Team.

Thank you all for your support and helpful ideas.
omar1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2011, 07:19 PM #23
Pr1m0
Givin' um the Switch

Annual Supporting Member
Pr1m0 plays in the PSP
Pr1m0 plays in the MiLP
Pr1m0 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
Pr1m0 supports DLX Technology
Really hope this actually happens. Please keep us updated. Make the Army interesting for once : /

Has Anyone Seen My Nods?
Probably the only Active SF guy still competing in Paintball -__-
Pr1m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 10:06 AM #24
omar1982

I have a meeting with the head of Army MWR on Monday. We spoke briefly on Friday and he told me about the Army wanting to get into the sport of paintball as a recruitment tool. More to come next week.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:12 PM #25
Doobie

Annual Supporting Member
Doobie is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Doobie plays in the MiLP
Doobie supports our troops
Fort Lee's MWR or the big Army MWR. If big Army, GREAT WORK! I never got it that far! Let me know if I can help in any way.

MASTER BLASTERS!
http://zodiacpb.com/
Honorary member of the 518 Brigade
http://fullclipusa.com
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
Doobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:18 AM #26
omar1982

The meeting is with big army MWR. Then doing some research this weekend I found the 2ND ID paintball team called us army all-stars. That team is also sponsored by a company called 7th element I will try to use this information in my favor to get a state side tournament team up and running.
Old 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM #27
PhantomDuckie

PhantomDuckie has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
PhantomDuckie has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Awesome job! Once your up you need to have the Army MWR start calling out the rest of the forces.

Doing what I do and getting lost behind emeny lines 1 field at a time.
PhantomDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:18 PM #28
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
mikesullivan21490 is a Supporting Member
mikesullivan21490 supports our troops
mikesullivan21490 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
omar1982 - What steps did you take to make it this far? Just request a meeting? I would like to do the same thing, air force side.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:36 PM #29
omar1982

The meeting with the head of Army FMWR went great. We spoke for about 2 hours he gave me some information on how to get sponsorship without violating any Army regulations and who to contact to try to get bigger support. I have spoken with the owner/organizer of the EPL and he is wanting to support any Army or military based team. I want to get a team together by May and play the rest of the EPL events and CUP. I am trying to get a two year trial team that is funded 50/50. If anyone wants additional information about what they need to do regarding trying to get something like this started PM me and we can talk.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:45 PM #30
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1982 View Post
The meeting with the head of Army FMWR went great. We spoke for about 2 hours he gave me some information on how to get sponsorship without violating any Army regulations and who to contact to try to get bigger support. I have spoken with the owner/organizer of the EPL and he is wanting to support any Army or military based team. I want to get a team together by May and play the rest of the EPL events and CUP. I am trying to get a two year trial team that is funded 50/50. If anyone wants additional information about what they need to do regarding trying to get something like this started PM me and we can talk.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:43 AM #31
omar1982

I have to things that I want to put out.

Well I spoke with JAG and they said if I can find out how the Army has a face team that is sponsored then that can open the door even wider for this project. So if anyone know that answer or who I can talk to to get that answer that would be great.

Secondly I am looking at starting my own blog about this topic and will be moving it from Pbnation so I can try to get more eyes on this great opportunity for our soldiers.

So if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:35 AM #32
D Lumber
Stripper Supporter

D Lumber plays in the PSP
D Lumber supports Pev's Paintball
D Lumber has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
D Lumber supports DLX Technology
I take it that this would only be good for the Army? Or would this be a team for all the branches as a whole? I think that a United States Military paintball team would be pretty cool.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:03 AM #33
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
I would rather see all services have a seperate team. But just because the Army does something doesnt mean the AF would jump on it right away.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:17 AM #34
D Lumber
Stripper Supporter

That would be nice for sure, but some branches (like mine) probably wouldn't go for it... Coast Guard is very stingy on the little money, and advertising that we do have. Making a CG specific paintball team would just be out of the question...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:52 PM #35
all_stock88

Me and Omar have some mutual friends. Im an Active duty army recruiter in south east texas (LUFKIN). The Solicitation is thing is a problem. Instead of an "Military Team" or "Army Team". What if we started a LEAGUE for active duty military. Ask all the big vendors and fields in diffrent regions. to support the event. And have the some of the money that the event makes go back into military programs. for the soldiers. It wont make a Military TEAM" but it would mos definatley promote the sport of paintball to active duty military players. and maybe open up doors for other things
all_stock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:02 PM #36
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by all_stock88 View Post
Me and Omar have some mutual friends. Im an Active duty army recruiter in south east texas (LUFKIN). The Solicitation is thing is a problem. Instead of an "Military Team" or "Army Team". What if we started a LEAGUE for active duty military. Ask all the big vendors and fields in diffrent regions. to support the event. And have the some of the money that the event makes go back into military programs. for the soldiers. It wont make a Military TEAM" but it would mos definatley promote the sport of paintball to active duty military players. and maybe open up doors for other things
With the right motivation this would be easily ran. Basically just another intermurial sport. Hold small events between bases/service. If possible, establish a "Nationals" event at a larger field.

Though, like most events, a lot of this would most likely be out of pocket unless strings could be pulled with local organizations.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:05 PM #37
CptObvious
2A755 / 2A753

CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
CptObvious supports Bob Gurnsey
I know quite a few field owners here on the east coast and a few on the west coast would love to host or help out in any way a military league. I also know some company owners that would jump on board to support it without hesitation.
Headbangers on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by: The Vest Guy || ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers || St!ffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
CptObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:16 PM #38
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
The field right off base here at Goodfellow hosts military events all the time. The MTL's and the base organization im apart of are putting on a night pb event this weekend
Old 03-16-2011, 05:18 PM #39
generalee72
Knight who says Ni

generalee72 is a Moderator
generalee72 is a Supporting Member
generalee72 donated to help Peyton Trent
generalee72 supports our troops
generalee72 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
generalee72 has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesullivan21490 View Post
With the right motivation this would be easily ran. Basically just another intermurial sport. Hold small events between bases/service. If possible, establish a "Nationals" event at a larger field.

Though, like most events, a lot of this would most likely be out of pocket unless strings could be pulled with local organizations.
Who knows if done correctly you might even be able to work out something with a national event?? Could be a lot of details for that one.

Although I would love to see something happen I wouldn't get my hopes too high until paintball is a little more "mainstream", in it's current state I don't know that it's marketable enough.

Trouble, as always, would be money. If you tried to have a "Military Team" that competed nationally, who would pay for it/run it/be eligible to play, where would the "HQ" be located? These are not question I expect anyone here to have the answer to, but it should be thought about. If the Army pays for it they will want to run it, they will want majority (or full) representation, and they will want all the potential recruits. (only logical sell for this idea is as a recruiting platform) It's fine on paper to think that everything would be fair and easy, but it won't be, to many politics in everything these days. Even if each branch were to take care of their own, sorry CG, it would still find a way to get a mucked up with BS.

However just doing little things is much easier, back in the 02-05(ish) time the MWR folks held an annual "Paintball Persecution" event that was free to participate in. It was 5-man, limited paint (100rd per player/game), semi and it was lots of fun. (especially for my team) It was in no way large scale, and with the exception of a little over a dozen people, most of the players weren't that experienced. (deflates the victories a bit) It was great that they were willing to do it and most of the teams really did enjoy it, my only real criticism is that nobody running it really knew what to do, even though they did try their best. In retrospect I kinda wish I had stepped down from playing and volunteered to help run it. Anyways, back to the point, when someone is paying money, they will want something out of it, when people are putting a lot of time into it they need to have a passion for it. Without those things set in place early it will not work, and the failure could make it harder to try again in the future.

Ability is what you’re capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. –Lou Holtz (via-John Maxwell)

Advice for the thread: "how to open a paintball store"
NastyShock3r: hey guy's i live in miami i need help to open a paintball store can anyone help or can tell me what i need to do?
midstatepaintball: That's easy! Just push on the front door of the store if it says "push", or pull on the door if it says "pull".
generalee72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:26 PM #40
D Lumber
Stripper Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalee72 View Post
Who knows if done correctly you might even be able to work out something with a national event?? Could be a lot of details for that one.

Although I would love to see something happen I wouldn't get my hopes too high until paintball is a little more "mainstream", in it's current state I don't know that it's marketable enough.

Trouble, as always, would be money. If you tried to have a "Military Team" that competed nationally, who would pay for it/run it/be eligible to play, where would the "HQ" be located? These are not question I expect anyone here to have the answer to, but it should be thought about. If the Army pays for it they will want to run it, they will want majority (or full) representation, and they will want all the potential recruits. (only logical sell for this idea is as a recruiting platform) It's fine on paper to think that everything would be fair and easy, but it won't be, to many politics in everything these days. Even if each branch were to take care of their own, sorry CG, it would still find a way to get a mucked up with BS.
For sure. I know that the CG would never get involved with something like this. We have too many budget problems as it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by all_stock88 View Post
That sounds awesome. They could probably hold something at CP here in SD. I think that something like this could be cool, but I have a feeling that most of the expense would come out of personal pocket rather than from our own branches itself... I could see this happening as a "friendly" event organized between a few people, but as a whole, I think that it would be far too difficult to arrange every single branch, and have a proper turn out... Not saying that I wouldn't love to do it, but I think that it might be a little over our heads... Unless someone is good friends with an Admiral/General
Old 03-16-2011, 07:53 PM #41
omar1982

Ok everyone lets get back to the original picture. While stationed at Fort Drum a buddy of mine came up with the idea origianlly. It almost took off but due to all of the players deployed and then PCS'd shortly after returning from overseas.

The main thing is I would like to get a two year trail period starting small with a 5 man team with 6 Soldiers on the roster incase of any injuries. Yes at first it would be mostly player funded with the request of tournament paint and entry fees being paid for. And only competing at regional tournaments and attending Cup the first year. The second year depending how successful the team is the previous year, I would really want it to be open to more Soldiers and more tournaments and requesting more funds.

Yes sponsorship is from outside sources is a huge issue. But I have a meeting with a MWR marketing/sponsoring division to discuss how to get additonal funding.

The overall idea of intra service tournaments is what I would want for this idea. A league called the Armed Forces Paintball League (AFPL) is how big this can be. But that is a lot of frontal cost so you know with starting a new idea we need to start on a smaller scale. I love how everyone wants to start a military team, so lets all work together so we can get this can happen.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:46 PM #42
mikesullivan21490

Annual Supporting Member
Have to build it locally and take it from there. For either situation. Team or League. Quite possibly, both can actually be made. League for military vs military, and a service team to play other leagues if possible