Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2011, 11:29 PM #43
atthemattin
Is it really a woman?
 
atthemattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Believe it or no but there are many people that participate in more then one sport. No one said anything about then coming in and suddenly taking over. They only need to start a small buzz. Get a little following and let it grow from there. And there are more then enough people already who snowboard and play paintball to help get that started.
do you know how small dye is in comparison to some of the snowboard companies? a ****ing drop in the bucket. dye only has a reputation to people who are really into paintball, not just the once a year jokers. snowboarders aren't even going to bother to notice them. their are honestly hundreds of snowboard companies out there, most of them fail. the thing dye has is money, but not enough. when they are going to go head to head with Oakley, spy, bolle, smith and so on. they don't have big enough pockets
__________________
The list of epic, I was there
7-11-09 Can I tap that?
9-11-08 My Thoughts on People
7-27-07 we witnessed /b/ fall
6-21-06 10pm real radio hide out
1-16-05 Parent PORNO
ST; S Snowboard Thread - Just leave, we don't want you. Go talk about snowboard in some other fourm.
atthemattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2011, 12:48 PM #44
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Listen don't waste your time trying to convince me that Dye has zero chance of pulling this off. The majority of y'all don't have the business knowledge or life experience to argue. Now I never said they would come out as the top brand but they do have the chance to make money off of this. Clearly, by show of that tv screen shot, they are taking steps in the right direction. Also for those of your who don't know anything about snowboarding, a large part of snowboarders are "anti-establishment" meaning they look for/prefer to support who they deem to be the smaller, less popular companies.
Y'all act like you are all some business/marketing geniuses to say what they are/are not capable of when the reality is y'all just like to talk and pass off your opinions as fact.
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:36 PM #45
G_cookie_8
Doing What I Do
 
G_cookie_8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portland, Michigan
G_cookie_8 plays in the PSP
G_cookie_8 supports Cereal Killerz 2
G_cookie_8 helped look for balloons
G_cookie_8 is an NCPA player
Actually Dye really does have a great chance to pull it off. Like said before a lot of paintballers ski or snowboard in the off season. So these guys are more likely to buy Dye goggles, to support the brand, etc. Then if they are actually a nice looking product people on the slopes will be like "yo dos be some dope goggles. What kind they be?" Ahh man des be the freshest goggles, dey from the new snow company called Dye yo dig?" Ahh that ****s ill I am going to get me some dawg" (thats how people talk nowa days). Haha but seriously they already have a following so who says they don't have cross over potential?
__________________
JP Paintball
Elitist Reball RIP

08 Origins Ego F/S
G_cookie_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 PM #46
Maverick 44
|l|l|l|l|l|l|
 
Maverick 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Windy City
Maverick 44 donated to help Peyton Trent
Maverick 44 supports our troops
Maverick 44 plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Listen don't waste your time trying to convince me that Dye has zero chance of pulling this off. The majority of y'all don't have the business knowledge or life experience to argue. Now I never said they would come out as the top brand but they do have the chance to make money off of this. Clearly, by show of that tv screen shot, they are taking steps in the right direction. Also for those of your who don't know anything about snowboarding, a large part of snowboarders are "anti-establishment" meaning they look for/prefer to support who they deem to be the smaller, less popular companies.
Y'all act like you are all some business/marketing geniuses to say what they are/are not capable of when the reality is y'all just like to talk and pass off your opinions as fact.
I think dye has a chance to sell some gear too, but not make a monumental impact snowboarding has never seen before. I mean really, Dye is just another company. Its not like they have some mass cult following that will buy all their stuff as soon as they go to snow. I suppose we'll see what will happen when they make the transition and release some stuff.

Also, what makes you think everyone is acting like marketing/business geniuses? People are just giving their opinions like you are. I can easily say that I have mass experience in marketing/business just as easy as you can, its the internet. Y'all.
Maverick 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:04 PM #47
Grizzly Billy (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Grizzly Billy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Listen don't waste your time trying to convince me that Dye has zero chance of pulling this off. .
Take your own advice and **** off.
Grizzly Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM #48
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 44 View Post
I think dye has a chance to sell some gear too, but not make a monumental impact snowboarding has never seen before. I mean really, Dye is just another company. Its not like they have some mass cult following that will buy all their stuff as soon as they go to snow. I suppose we'll see what will happen when they make the transition and release some stuff.

Also, what makes you think everyone is acting like marketing/business geniuses? People are just giving their opinions like you are. I can easily say that I have mass experience in marketing/business just as easy as you can, its the internet. Y'all.
What makes me think like veryone is acting like marketing/business geniuses? Perhaps you need to re-read the thread. A few here are talking like they know this is a idea guaranteed to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Billy View Post
Take your own advice and **** off.
Here we go with the internet tough guy routine. Everybody is a strongman on the internet
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:23 PM #49
atthemattin
Is it really a woman?
 
atthemattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Listen don't waste your time trying to convince me that Dye has zero chance of pulling this off. The majority of y'all don't have the business knowledge or life experience to argue. Now I never said they would come out as the top brand but they do have the chance to make money off of this. Clearly, by show of that tv screen shot, they are taking steps in the right direction. Also for those of your who don't know anything about snowboarding, a large part of snowboarders are "anti-establishment" meaning they look for/prefer to support who they deem to be the smaller, less popular companies.
Y'all act like you are all some business/marketing geniuses to say what they are/are not capable of when the reality is y'all just like to talk and pass off your opinions as fact.
you are a complete ****ing *******. first off, dye has no credibility coming into the market. if you think they are just going to get all these snowboarders who also play paintball to start buying their **** you are wrong. if Adidas can't sell their goggles, or even compete with the main stream market, what makes you think that some small paintball company is going to just pop up and be able to convince people to buy their goggles of spy or smith? chances are i know more about the mark and tends in this industry more than you will ever believe, thats why burton gives me **** and every other major company for that matter. "anti-establishment"? is this the 80s again? do i hear the clash playing? you are a ****ing *******.
__________________
The list of epic, I was there
7-11-09 Can I tap that?
9-11-08 My Thoughts on People
7-27-07 we witnessed /b/ fall
6-21-06 10pm real radio hide out
1-16-05 Parent PORNO
ST; S Snowboard Thread - Just leave, we don't want you. Go talk about snowboard in some other fourm.
atthemattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:26 PM #50
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemattin View Post
you are a complete ****ing *******. first off, dye has no credibility coming into the market. if you think they are just going to get all these snowboarders who also play paintball to start buying their **** you are wrong. if Adidas can't sell their goggles, or even compete with the main stream market, what makes you think that some small paintball company is going to just pop up and be able to convince people to buy their goggles of spy or smith? chances are i know more about the mark and tends in this industry more than you will ever believe, thats why burton gives me **** and every other major company for that matter. "anti-establishment"? is this the 80s again? do i hear the clash playing? you are a ****ing *******.
Maverick 4, and you asked me who is acting like they know all? Yeah, exactly
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM #51
atthemattin
Is it really a woman?
 
atthemattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Maverick 4, and you asked me who is acting like they know all? Yeah, exactly
its not acting when i actually know what i'm talking about. how long have you been in the snow sports industry? how many company reps do you know? do companies use you as advertisement and ask you to push their gear? no?
__________________
The list of epic, I was there
7-11-09 Can I tap that?
9-11-08 My Thoughts on People
7-27-07 we witnessed /b/ fall
6-21-06 10pm real radio hide out
1-16-05 Parent PORNO
ST; S Snowboard Thread - Just leave, we don't want you. Go talk about snowboard in some other fourm.
atthemattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM #52
Grizzly Billy (Banned)
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Grizzly Billy is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Here we go with the internet tough guy routine. Everybody is a strongman on the internet
No seriously, **** off. If you are going to blatantly state you are ignoring everyone's opinions, dont give us yours. You are clearly unaware of the current snowboarding market if you think a ****ty, tiny *** company in a "sport" nobody cares about is going to be able to just leap in and succeed.
Grizzly Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:51 PM #53
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemattin View Post
its not acting when i actually know what i'm talking about. how long have you been in the snow sports industry? how many company reps do you know? do companies use you as advertisement and ask you to push their gear? no?
Thank you for proving my exact point Maverick asked
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:54 PM #54
Sochasky
Brickhouse???
 
Sochasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Meh, i don't see why they can't succeed. The feeling im getting from some of you naysayers is that Dye is taking what they know from within the paintball industry in regards to product preference and whatnot and using that to push their product into the snowboarding market. This is obviously not the case. The most important thing when starting up a new business or entering into a new market is knowing everything you possibly can about what makes brands and products successful. You can't tell me a successful business (albeit small compared to some of the snowboarding giants) would jump into a new market without thoroughly researching it.

I wouldn't completely write them off before they even start... We can speculate all we want, but let's just wait and see what happens in a few years time.
__________________
BRICKHOUSEINC.
What do you know about a brickhouse?
Sochasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:59 PM #55
atthemattin
Is it really a woman?
 
atthemattin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Boiling Springs, PA
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
Thank you for proving my exact point Maverick asked
no no, thank you for proving my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sochasky View Post
Meh, i don't see why they can't succeed. The feeling im getting from some of you naysayers is that Dye is taking what they know from within the paintball industry in regards to product preference and whatnot and using that to push their product into the snowboarding market. This is obviously not the case. The most important thing when starting up a new business or entering into a new market is knowing everything you possibly can about what makes brands and products successful. You can't tell me a successful business (albeit small compared to some of the snowboarding giants) would jump into a new market without thoroughly researching it.

I wouldn't completely write them off before they even start... We can speculate all we want, but let's just wait and see what happens in a few years time.
but honestly, would you rather buy from dye which really isn't that much of a lens specialist, or would you buy from someone like smith or spy who spend more money a year on their products?
__________________
The list of epic, I was there
7-11-09 Can I tap that?
9-11-08 My Thoughts on People
7-27-07 we witnessed /b/ fall
6-21-06 10pm real radio hide out
1-16-05 Parent PORNO
ST; S Snowboard Thread - Just leave, we don't want you. Go talk about snowboard in some other fourm.
atthemattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:25 PM #56
Sochasky
Brickhouse???
 
Sochasky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by atthemattin View Post
but honestly, would you rather buy from dye which really isn't that much of a lens specialist, or would you buy from someone like smith or spy who spend more money a year on their products?
I would honestly feel like a goof wearing a Dye goggle, but that's just cause I'm so used to seeing them in the paintball industry. Absolutely i'll take a much longer look at products from reputable companies that have been in the industry for a long time, but that is not to say i won't check out Dye products because they are new. I think if Dye can make a good looking product, then they will generate interest within the industry. That being said, it remains to be seen whether or not they can back up a solid looking product with exceptional quality as well. Takes a few years to build a reputation of good quality, and a matter of months to build a reputation for bad quality.

Take a look at Ashbury goggles. Popularity blew up in Cali because they are nice to look at and now you can see them everywhere. They are complete ****. You cannot convince me that they are solid goggles. The quality is brutal. They just look good.

The problem with all this speculation we're doing in here, is we have yet to see a single product, read a single review, or know specific product plans of Dye. At this point it's all just guess work on my part, which is why i'm not completely writing them off yet.
__________________
BRICKHOUSEINC.
What do you know about a brickhouse?
Sochasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:13 PM #57
Maverick 44
|l|l|l|l|l|l|
 
Maverick 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Windy City
Maverick 44 donated to help Peyton Trent
Maverick 44 supports our troops
Maverick 44 plays in the APPA D5 division
I paintball and snowboard. In paintball I have used a pair of Dye I4's because that is a respected and proven product of paintball from a long respected company. For snowboarding I use a pair of Dragon Rogues because Dragon is a respected company for goggles. They have served me very well. Now if Dragon went to paintball and made a mask, I would probably not buy because the other companys, like Dye for example, have put out products and obtained a good reputation. Same with Dye goign to snow, if they put out some goggles right away, I'm not going to buy them because other companys like Electric, Anon, and Dragon have proven products that work. Maybe after Dye gets in the industry for a while something may happen, but I dont see big success in snow sports for Dye. I could be wrong, but thats my opinion.

Also, like somebody said earlier, adidas has goggles out there and they have had basically no success. Looking at that, a HUGE company like adidas tried this and failed. Why would Dye from paintball succeed then? Its not like all kids who paintball snowboard, and if they do I can almost guarantee that they sport gear from brands like Burton, Ride, Electric, Dragon, Forum, etc etc... while snowboarding. People will stay to what has worked for years, thats the trend in marketing.

Edit: It's somewhat like a new restaurant, if you have a new one you want to open next to a burger king, subway, and mcdonalds, you may have some interest at first, but people will most likely go back to the one they know. (I think like 50% of new food joints fail in the first year or something)

Last edited by Maverick 44 : 03-01-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Maverick 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:21 PM #58
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
Soul, I actually do have a marketing and consumer behavior degree (4 years) and a few years of business experience

The rest of yalls argument for Dye not making it in the industry is this: "they're too small and the brand isn't known". Funny, Facebook never had that problem going up against giants like Myspace and Bebo. Wtf were Apple doing making phones and mp3 players anyway? There were hundreds of phone companies already and Apple were a computer maker not a phone maker. Surely they should have failed.

The fact is there are hundreds of very successful companies around that started out tiny and unknown going up against massive companies that everybody knew about. Just because it's hard to get traction in a big industry like this doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. People do it all the time. You just gotta do your homework and advertise the right ways. Dye are well positioned for this as their current demographic are of similar age and taste and they already have lots of experience with things like goggles and soft goods. If any company can do this, they can (even if a brand like HK would be a better fit). Adidas failing before them shows just how hard it is, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Anyways, haters gonna hate. Didn't stop the Wright brothers.

Last edited by vijil : 03-01-2011 at 09:24 PM.
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:23 PM #59
Maverick 44
|l|l|l|l|l|l|
 
Maverick 44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Windy City
Maverick 44 donated to help Peyton Trent
Maverick 44 supports our troops
Maverick 44 plays in the APPA D5 division
This argument is going nowhere. We'll all see what happens whenever they release stuff.
Maverick 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:11 AM #60
Soul06
The Last Thing You'll See
 
Soul06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NY ((718)) NY
 has been a member for 10 years
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
Soul06 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Soul06 supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 44 View Post
Also, like somebody said earlier, adidas has goggles out there and they have had basically no success. Looking at that, a HUGE company like adidas tried this and failed. Why would Dye from paintball succeed then? Its not like all kids who paintball snowboard, and if they do I can almost guarantee that they sport gear from brands like Burton, Ride, Electric, Dragon, Forum, etc etc... while snowboarding. People will stay to what has worked for years, thats the trend in marketing.

Edit: It's somewhat like a new restaurant, if you have a new one you want to open next to a burger king, subway, and mcdonalds, you may have some interest at first, but people will most likely go back to the one they know. (I think like 50% of new food joints fail in the first year or something)
Except burger King, Subway and McDonalds aren't exactly "restaurants" so thats not a good example to make. If a real restaurant opened near a fast food chain they could still do very well. People who want real food and not cheaply made garbage would go to the real restaurant.

And as for Adidas...okay maybe they are failing. Adidas has been very successful in many other sports but its just not working for them in snowboarding BUT WAIT....there is another company that is much like Adidas. Nike! And their line of clothing and boots ARE succeeding in snowboarding. And if I recall correctly they just entered the snowboarding world not that long ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijil View Post
Soul, I actually do have a marketing and consumer behavior degree (4 years) and a few years of business experience

The rest of yalls argument for Dye not making it in the industry is this: "they're too small and the brand isn't known". Funny, Facebook never had that problem going up against giants like Myspace and Bebo. Wtf were Apple doing making phones and mp3 players anyway? There were hundreds of phone companies already and Apple were a computer maker not a phone maker. Surely they should have failed.

The fact is there are hundreds of very successful companies around that started out tiny and unknown going up against massive companies that everybody knew about. Just because it's hard to get traction in a big industry like this doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be done. People do it all the time. You just gotta do your homework and advertise the right ways. Dye are well positioned for this as their current demographic are of similar age and taste and they already have lots of experience with things like goggles and soft goods. If any company can do this, they can (even if a brand like HK would be a better fit). Adidas failing before them shows just how hard it is, but it doesn't mean it can't be done.

Anyways, haters gonna hate. Didn't stop the Wright brothers.
THANK YOU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick 44 View Post
This argument is going nowhere. We'll all see what happens whenever they release stuff.
Now this I will agree with
__________________
"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" ~ POTUS

Custom Ano'd Prestige CSL w/ Dart Kit - Midnight Superblue LV1
Obnoxious, NY - High Velocity, NY - Liberty, NY - Cousins, NY - Top Gun, NJ
On Target, NJ - Accurate, NJ - Skirmish, PA - CPX Sports, IL - Paintball Explosion, IL - P&L, MA - Pev's, VA

Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 11:08 AM #61
brendan...
rawr rawr
 
brendan...'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
oh
brendan... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM #62
MutR.
Shut up.
 
MutR.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: CDA
MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul06 View Post
. Nike! And their line of clothing and boots ARE succeeding in snowboarding. And if I recall correctly they just entered the snowboarding world not that long ago.
This is Nikes 2nd go around at the snowboard industry. The first time they failed terribly, but that was when everyone was still all hippy about buying "core" brands.

Dyes quality control is excellent as shown in their paintball gear. they already have the technology to make goggles, they already make lenses, they already have a proven anti-fog technology that works very well, they already have a soft goods factory. They already have everything they need to make it work except a fan base, which wont be hard to build at all if their goggles look good. We all know the goggles already perform excellent. They will be able to dump a ton of money into marketing that they would otherwise have to dump into production if they werent already a goggle manufacturer.

I can also see them making a product similar to azzpads because they already have slide shorts which are the exact same thing except the padding is in different places.

Basically i expect them to start with goggles, then work into the outerwear market then into the pads/helmets market. Possibly even hard goods like bindings
__________________
PAINTBALL RUINED MY LIFE

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:24 PM #63
vijil
Giant Paintball Robot
 
vijil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New Zealand
http://www.dyesnow.com/

Site is up!
vijil is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump