Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2011, 09:58 AM #1
WildWeasel2k4
 
 
WildWeasel2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wilmington Nor*Car
 has been a member for 10 years
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the PSP
WildWeasel2k4 is an NCPA player
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the APPA D3 division
msxl has 32 xball teams signed up, cfoa has 4... discuss

Xball is the beloved golden egg that lane wright has given us over the last few years as one of the main figures in paintball. Everybody loves it, the fast pace, the sideline coaching, the point system (how it emulates a real sport), and a whole bunch of other things. It is the number one format on the national circuit, and in various other regional circuits it's a huge hit as well. This being said, I would think that the top tournament series in the southeast would hold an outstanding xball event, yet only 4 teams are registered.

The closest competitor that the cfoa has is the msxl, who currently has 32 teams registered for its first event. What is the msxl doing differently that has made it so popular?

I love xball and don't want to see it die in our area. Last year for the first two events the cfoa cranked out similar numbers as far as teams go, then event 3 came along and it fell off quite sharply, and has continued... What happened?

discuss...
__________________
Szep
D3 Allstar for life
Cacks
WildWeasel2k4 is offline  
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM #2
pepformance
Pepper
 
pepformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Peoria, IL / Columbia,MO
pepformance plays in the PSP
pepformance donated to help Peyton Trent
pepformance posts videos on PbNation
pepformance plays in the APPA D3 division
Actually xball is not the number one format on a national level. 5-man is if you go by team count. I dont think it helps the cfoa that gfoa has come along and pulled some teams (same weekend). As well as galveston being a week after. Top that off with additional leagues coming around MILP, MSXL, etc. and you simply cant play ALL of them.
pepformance is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 10:54 AM #3
nochance
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
nochance plays in the PSP
nochance owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
nochance plays in the APPA D3 division
MSXL: Entry: D3-4 $500 (BYOP)
CFOA: Entry: D3 $1450-1600 (14 cases of paint)
sooo apparently the CFOA thinks that 14 cases of paint are equivalent to $950-1100...
nochance is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:07 AM #4
WildWeasel2k4
 
 
WildWeasel2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wilmington Nor*Car
 has been a member for 10 years
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the PSP
WildWeasel2k4 is an NCPA player
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepformance View Post
Actually xball is not the number one format on a national level. 5-man is if you go by team count. I dont think it helps the cfoa that gfoa has come along and pulled some teams (same weekend). As well as galveston being a week after. Top that off with additional leagues coming around MILP, MSXL, etc. and you simply cant play ALL of them.

I go by player count, so by that xball is the number 1 format. Naturally because we're in a recession we're going to play the event that is 1: cheapest, 2: has the best prizes... CFOA is also the "top" tournament series in the southeast, so shouldn't it draw a large crowd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nochance View Post
MSXL: Entry: D3-4 $500 (BYOP)
CFOA: Entry: D3 $1450-1600 (14 cases of paint)
sooo apparently the CFOA thinks that 14 cases of paint are equivalent to $950-1100...
__________________
Szep
D3 Allstar for life
Cacks

Last edited by WildWeasel2k4 : 02-24-2011 at 11:09 AM.
WildWeasel2k4 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM #5
MrD (Banned)
Seeds is SO AGG
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Weenie
MrD is reppin' sidebar 4 life
MrD plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by nochance View Post
MSXL: Entry: D3-4 $500 (BYOP)
CFOA: Entry: D3 $1450-1600 (14 cases of paint)
sooo apparently the CFOA thinks that 14 cases of paint are equivalent to $950-1100...
EXACTLY

keep the paint for 5man but no one wants the ****ing paint for xball. most xball teams already have their own deals anyway.
MrD is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM #6
WildWeasel2k4
 
 
WildWeasel2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wilmington Nor*Car
 has been a member for 10 years
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the PSP
WildWeasel2k4 is an NCPA player
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the APPA D3 division
I find it funny that throughout the entire off season the players posted what they wanted to see in various threads in the cfoa forum. We wanted cheaper entry, BYOP and unbiased reffing. The only thing that was done differently was a rearranging of divisions. The lack of changes around here have pretty much stripped us of Xball... i find it quite annoying that I have to travel a minimum of 12 hours to play a respectable xball tournament. There are definitely enough players in the area to hold a decent event, but the fact that people feel like they have to travel to a national event to get the most out of their money shows the lack of quality and experience that the cfoa delivers
__________________
Szep
D3 Allstar for life
Cacks
WildWeasel2k4 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:08 PM #7
simple_condolences
Zach Traylor
 
simple_condolences's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Charleston, SC
simple_condolences owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
simple_condolences supports Team VICIOUS
simple_condolences plays in the APPA D4 division
simple_condolences has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
CFOA also only offers D3X, which is a part of it. I'm sure that a lot of D4 players don't want to just straight into a higher bracket if they can play their own division of players. MSXL offers ONLY X-Ball where as CFOA offers at least three different formats for all of this. There are currently 40 teams signed up for CFOA event one between all divisions. Then we also have a bunch of different series pulling people from CFOA. GFOA's first event is the same weekend, which is crap. PSP is the week after which is CFOA's fault.
simple_condolences is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:13 PM #8
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWeasel2k4 View Post
I find it funny that throughout the entire off season the players posted what they wanted to see in various threads in the cfoa forum. We wanted cheaper entry, BYOP and unbiased reffing. The only thing that was done differently was a rearranging of divisions. The lack of changes around here have pretty much stripped us of Xball... i find it quite annoying that I have to travel a minimum of 12 hours to play a respectable xball tournament. There are definitely enough players in the area to hold a decent event, but the fact that people feel like they have to travel to a national event to get the most out of their money shows the lack of quality and experience that the cfoa delivers
Cheaper entry- they want to make money. They've decided on a profit margin they want to stay at. Likely, the only way to get them to lower the prices would be to guarantee the difference in more teams.

BYOP First, it IS BYOP. You must use sponsored paint. NO different than PSP.

unbiased reffing stop crying and play paintball. I don't see any of the top teams complaining about reffing. There may be some teams that play one or two events who travel from further away, but I'd guess that Prime travels the furthest and is the only team that consistently travels to CFOA. They're probably the only team I'd consider not "local" to the CFOA area. I haven't heard them complain about reffing.
Some people say they want refs completely unaffiliated with any teams. So... you want to fly them in or what? Most refs are older players from the area. Finding someone completely unaffiliated isn't going to be easy.

I'm not posting to argue your main point, but this last thread was garbage. I agree I'd like to see 32 xball teams signed up. But if you can't even find 32 5man teams, how do you expect that to happen?

CFOA being the week before PSP has very little influence on teams signed up. Most teams aren't going to PSP.
Mayhem, NC Hammer, and Dark Carnival are all going to PSP. There are some players from the other teams who are as well. Prime is the only team I don't see signed up that is going to PSP.. that I'm aware of.

Last edited by ombres13 : 02-24-2011 at 12:22 PM.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 PM #9
pepformance
Pepper
 
pepformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Peoria, IL / Columbia,MO
pepformance plays in the PSP
pepformance donated to help Peyton Trent
pepformance posts videos on PbNation
pepformance plays in the APPA D3 division
I will admit, Im new to this area. Moving from Chicago area to the southeast, I heard nothing but how amazing the CFOA is. I am rather disapointed with what I see so far. The xball is WAY to much, and the team count, simply doesnt justify the time for me. I jumped on a 5-man team simply due to the shear number of teams. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather be playing Xball. The combination in this mess is definatly CFOA and GFOA being the same day, combined with outrages prices.
pepformance is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 PM #10
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepformance View Post
I will admit, Im new to this area. Moving from Chicago area to the southeast, I heard nothing but how amazing the CFOA is. I am rather disapointed with what I see so far. The xball is WAY to much, and the team count, simply doesnt justify the time for me. I jumped on a 5-man team simply due to the shear number of teams. Trust me, I'd MUCH rather be playing Xball. The combination in this mess is definatly CFOA and GFOA being the same day, combined with outrages prices.
I'd agree, GFOA has influence on number of teams signed up. But I'm not sure that it being the same weekend is the reason. That just makes teams choose which they feel is more logical/better buy to them. I've honestly never looked into GFOA, but I've heard it's cheaper. With that said, I've heard it's horribly reffed and organized. These are just things I've heard, not personal experience.

With that higher entry price, you're getting a professional tournament series (but yes, I'd love to see lower prices obviously). Personally, I think the CFOA approaches the regional tournament system with unchallenged professionalism and organization. I haven't played a tournament series that does it better. This year has seen some great improvements in this area and I look forward to a great season which will hopefully start pulling teams back in (from GFOA and surrounding areas).


edit: to go back to a previous comment about reffing- It was said (open practice thread) that many of the refs at the open practice were new to CFOA. So complaints about old ref squads are out as well.. A lot of them are the same, but there are new ones as well.

Last edited by ombres13 : 02-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:46 PM #11
prokiller 7
 
 
prokiller 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
prokiller 7 plays in the PSP
prokiller 7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
prokiller 7 supports Team VICIOUS
prokiller 7 plays in the APPA D2 division
BYOP First, it IS BYOP. You must use sponsored paint. NO different than PSP.


What is the entry fee if you bring your own paint? If it is different someone should post the price for teams bringing their own. All the prices I have seen is for entry + paint.
__________________
prokiller 7 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 12:52 PM #12
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokiller 7 View Post
BYOP First, it IS BYOP. You must use sponsored paint. NO different than PSP.


What is the entry fee if you bring your own paint? If it is different someone should post the price for teams bringing their own. All the prices I have seen is for entry + paint.
Entry comes with paint. As far as I know, there is no alternative price structure and I doubt there will be. Sponsors aren't just there for a fancy name- they were asked to provide a specific service/product/price in turn for a certain privilege/promotion/exposure.

BYOP meaning, you can bring your own paint as long as it's sponsored.
The event entry just happens to come with paint.
The argument that the paint = $900 or whatever was posted earlier is trash as well.. The tournament as a whole cost that much more, not the paint.

To answer your question prokiller, you can bring paint but you still have to get the paint that comes with the entrance. If this is that big an issue, I'm pretty sure some teams would purchase that paint from you if the price was reasonable.

Last edited by ombres13 : 02-24-2011 at 12:54 PM.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:01 PM #13
pepformance
Pepper
 
pepformance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Peoria, IL / Columbia,MO
pepformance plays in the PSP
pepformance donated to help Peyton Trent
pepformance posts videos on PbNation
pepformance plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombres13 View Post
I'd agree, GFOA has influence on number of teams signed up. But I'm not sure that it being the same weekend is the reason. That just makes teams choose which they feel is more logical/better buy to them. I've honestly never looked into GFOA, but I've heard it's cheaper. With that said, I've heard it's horribly reffed and organized. These are just things I've heard, not personal experience.

With that higher entry price, you're getting a professional tournament series (but yes, I'd love to see lower prices obviously). Personally, I think the CFOA approaches the regional tournament system with unchallenged professionalism and organization. I haven't played a tournament series that does it better. This year has seen some great improvements in this area and I look forward to a great season which will hopefully start pulling teams back in (from GFOA and surrounding areas).


edit: to go back to a previous comment about reffing- It was said (open practice thread) that many of the refs at the open practice were new to CFOA. So complaints about old ref squads are out as well.. A lot of them are the same, but there are new ones as well.
For the record, I am driving the 4+ hours from georgia to play cfoa over gfoa. Nothing against the GFOA, i have just always wanted to play CFOA.
pepformance is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:03 PM #14
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepformance View Post
For the record, I am driving the 4+ hours from georgia to play cfoa over gfoa. Nothing against the GFOA, i have just always wanted to play CFOA.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:08 PM #15
prokiller 7
 
 
prokiller 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
prokiller 7 plays in the PSP
prokiller 7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
prokiller 7 supports Team VICIOUS
prokiller 7 plays in the APPA D2 division
No this really has nothing to do with me. I just seen where you had said it was BYOP if sponsored.
I believe what everyone was asking for in the BYOP was wanting a cheaper entry and furnish their own paint because they can get it cheaper from the same sponsors from their home fields.
When you say it is BYOP there really is no reason to if the price is still the same and you get the paint that comes in the entry fee.
So in all honesty there is no BYOP price.
__________________
prokiller 7 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:25 PM #16
ombres13
 
 
ombres13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N.Carolina
ombres13 plays in the PSP
ombres13 supports our troops
ombres13 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by prokiller 7 View Post
No this really has nothing to do with me. I just seen where you had said it was BYOP if sponsored.
I believe what everyone was asking for in the BYOP was wanting a cheaper entry and furnish their own paint because they can get it cheaper from the same sponsors from their home fields.
When you say it is BYOP there really is no reason to if the price is still the same and you get the paint that comes in the entry fee.
So in all honesty there is no BYOP price.
Right, I understand that. However, that's a selfish request really. They're asking for lower entry fee and no paint because they have it cheaper from their field/sponsor. That's less money going into the series. Not everyone has a paint sponsor like that they can benefit from (yes, their own problem right?). The point is though, it's less money going into the series.

These teams with paint sponsors DO still benefit from them. They pay to play the tournament and any extra paint they need can be bought at their sponsored price from whatever source they have.
ombres13 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 01:42 PM #17
prokiller 7
 
 
prokiller 7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NC
Annual Supporting Member
prokiller 7 plays in the PSP
prokiller 7 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
prokiller 7 supports Team VICIOUS
prokiller 7 plays in the APPA D2 division
Yes I understand what you are saying, and I like the entry having paint included. I was just saying what these other people was asking for in the BYOP.

My opinion there should be a flat rate per player. And sale the paint at a reduced sponsor price. This way if a team uses 5 players for the event they get a break. If they choose to use 10 then they pay more. This way it costs every player the same no matter how large the team. I have seen several teams play a tournament with 5 to 7 players and others with 10. If it is a flat team price it costs each person on the smaller team alot more to play, I do not see this being fair just because a team cant get more players on it.
__________________
prokiller 7 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:05 PM #18
+CrOsS.CoSa+
 
 
+CrOsS.CoSa+'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South Carolina
+CrOsS.CoSa+ plays in the PSP
+CrOsS.CoSa+ plays in the APPA D2 division
GFOA Prices and Prizes are legit.

199.00 Bucks to play.

Open Division
1st - Trophies & Entry to next event plus $200.00 cash
2nd - Trophies & Entry to next event plus $150.00 cash
3rd - Trophies & Entry to next event plus $100.00 cash

And for teams that dont pay for their paint or entry its a hell of a deal.

And the top 3 teams get $20 back on each case of paint that you buy from them....
__________________
Carolina Teams Inc.

Last edited by +CrOsS.CoSa+ : 02-24-2011 at 02:08 PM.
+CrOsS.CoSa+ is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM #19
WildWeasel2k4
 
 
WildWeasel2k4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wilmington Nor*Car
 has been a member for 10 years
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the PSP
WildWeasel2k4 is an NCPA player
WildWeasel2k4 plays in the APPA D3 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombres13 View Post
These teams with paint sponsors DO still benefit from them. They pay to play the tournament and any extra paint they need can be bought at their sponsored price from whatever source they have.
so which teams in the area are sponsored by draxxus?
__________________
Szep
D3 Allstar for life
Cacks
WildWeasel2k4 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:34 PM #20
....VoLtAgE....
Brandon
 
....VoLtAgE....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Summerville SC
Annual Supporting Member
....VoLtAgE.... plays in the PSP
....VoLtAgE.... supports Team VICIOUS
....VoLtAgE.... plays in the APPA D1 division
....VoLtAgE.... is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
....VoLtAgE.... owns a Planet Eclipse GSL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombres13 View Post
Cheaper entry- they want to make money. They've decided on a profit margin they want to stay at. Likely, the only way to get them to lower the prices would be to guarantee the difference in more teams.

BYOP First, it IS BYOP. You must use sponsored paint. NO different than PSP.

unbiased reffing stop crying and play paintball. I don't see any of the top teams complaining about reffing. There may be some teams that play one or two events who travel from further away, but I'd guess that Prime travels the furthest and is the only team that consistently travels to CFOA. They're probably the only team I'd consider not "local" to the CFOA area. I haven't heard them complain about reffing.
Some people say they want refs completely unaffiliated with any teams. So... you want to fly them in or what? Most refs are older players from the area. Finding someone completely unaffiliated isn't going to be easy.

I'm not posting to argue your main point, but this last thread was garbage. I agree I'd like to see 32 xball teams signed up. But if you can't even find 32 5man teams, how do you expect that to happen?

CFOA being the week before PSP has very little influence on teams signed up. Most teams aren't going to PSP.
Mayhem, NC Hammer, and Dark Carnival are all going to PSP. There are some players from the other teams who are as well. Prime is the only team I don't see signed up that is going to PSP.. that I'm aware of.
We might be throwing in a team for the rest of the xball events, Texas the week after did get in the way of playing Xball #1. It would just be to much to spend before RIGHT Texas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWeasel2k4 View Post
so which teams in the area are sponsored by draxxus?
Breakout is.
__________________
- CAROLINA COLLISION -
....VoLtAgE.... is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM #21
MrD (Banned)
Seeds is SO AGG
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Weenie
MrD is reppin' sidebar 4 life
MrD plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWeasel2k4 View Post
so which teams in the area are sponsored by draxxus?
deathconclawX
MrD is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump