Pandora 2 20.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2013, 03:50 PM #1
tarrguy57

tarrguy57 is an NCPA player
tarrguy57 plays in the APPA beginner division
tarrguy57 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Board Opinion: WAS vs Pandora

So I just picked up Viking #A68 and it came with a Pandora board. I have a WAS board that I picked up for a project and am just curious what people's opinions of the 2 boards are. I've used WAS boards in the past and liked them. Based on what I've read in their respective manuals they look to function pretty similar. I know a Tadao USB board would be better but I don't want to go all out yet.

I have no clue what firmware either board has. Anyone know how to tell?
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
tarrguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2013, 09:37 PM #2
TheePsycho
Sadist

TheePsycho is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
TheePsycho is playing at Living Legends VII
Pandora board with rmod is nice.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 PM #3
tarrguy57

What is rmod?
Paintball changed for me twice in my life, when a close friend introduced me to pump play and cockers and when I went from woodsball with Tippmanns to tournament ball with my Bob Long Rapper and AKA Viking on the UW-Stout Team. I'm a better player thanks to both occurrences.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM #4
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
Different software for it. I like WAS. Working version of either is fine.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:58 PM #5
tarrguy57

sounds good to me. both here and MCB i'm getting a pretty perfect split of votes for either board. Just didn't know anything about them and if there truly was something special on one over the other.

Still wondering if anyone knows how to tell which firmware you have on the board without hooking it up to a computer.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-13-2013, 01:17 PM #6
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
I prefer the WAS to the Pandora but I like the Tadao board over both of them.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:13 PM #7
tarrguy57

Ya I have both and would prefer the Tadao but I'd prefer not to spend money also haha

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 PM #8
skinnyfatguy
AKA-holic

skinnyfatguy is a Supporting Member
I've always been a fan of WAS over Pandora. Earlier versions of the WAS board (1.4 and earlier) had some major issues with first shot drop off. The owner, Jim Drew, also had a reputation for horrible customer service, and promised firmware updates that came years later or not at all. Another thing that annoyed people were they came from the factory capped at 13 BPS if you didn't have eyes, and you needed the Equalink cable to adjust that setting (again only on earlier firmware).

With that being said I prefer the newest WAS firmware over Pandora. WAS 2.0 offers several modes such as PSP, Millennium, ect., however it only works with Vikings. WAS 1.6 works on both Vikings & Excals and took care of the FSDO issue and is a very solid board if you don't mind it being semi only. I find the field programing easier to do on a WAS board, cable programing to offer finer tuned adjustment, and feel the WAS 2.0 offers a better selection of firing modes.

The latest Pandora firmware was actually coded by a member here and is called RMod. This firmware allows modes such as PSP, Millennium, ect. The biggest problem for me though is you have to have the cable and a computer to switch between them, making it nearly impossible to do at the field. The latest firmware by VaporWorks (company who makes the Pandora board) allows you to switch between semi, turbo (alternates between firing one and two balls for each trigger pull), auto response (Fires one ball for each trigger pull, and another ball upon trigger release), and full auto. While semi will be the only tourney legal mode, the other modes are allowed at most fields for rec play assuming you cap the bps. Either of the firmware versions can be used both on Vikings and Excals. Again, this is a solid board, but I find one lacking in field adjustablity and the other in firing modes. I hope this helps some with your decision.

Oh, and Tadaos work great but the data port led always annoyed me since there was already one on the back of the gun. I have had poor experience with Will's customer service, but that was on an '07 Ego board that's screen died a few weeks after buying it, and was told that I must have gotten it wet and I should just buy a new one. I live in Colorado and we were in the middle of one of the worst droughts since the dust bowl. He later admitted that it was a manufacturing fault, but claimed that wasn't part of the lifetime warranty and is selling replacement screens that I hear may also go dim. That being have had no quality issues with any of my AKA boards, just needed to vent.

skinnyfatguy's Collection | My WTB List
MCB Feedback | Old PBN Feedback | CC Feedback | eBay Feedback
skinnyfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:59 PM #9
tarrguy57

Wow thanks for all the info. thats the kind of stuff I wanted to know. besides connecting a board to a computer with the Equalink cable is there anyway to tell what firmware a board has?

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-13-2013, 10:14 PM #10
skinnyfatguy
AKA-holic

skinnyfatguy is a Supporting Member
You can tell if it's 2.0 or not by going into programing mode. If it has three settings, it's old firmware; if it has seven, it's 2.0. There's no way to tell between 1.3, 1.4 and 1.6 without the cable though.

skinnyfatguy's Collection | My WTB List
MCB Feedback | Old PBN Feedback | CC Feedback | eBay Feedback
skinnyfatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:31 PM #11
tarrguy57

ok will that work on both the pandora and was boards?

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-14-2013, 11:12 AM #12
lopez17
Valar Morghulis

Annual Supporting Member
lopez17 is a Moderator
lopez17 is a Supporting Member
lopez17 is playing at Living Legends VII
lopez17 supports Pev's Paintball
lopez17 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
lopez17 is Immortal
Each board has a different proprietary cable.

lopez17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:46 PM #13
tarrguy57

well even if i had each cable wouldn't make much difference since from what I hear both use a port that hasn't been on modern computers for years.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-15-2013, 05:34 AM #14
TheePsycho
Sadist

TheePsycho is a Supporting Member
TheePsycho is playing at Living Legends VII
You're right, you would need an serial to usb adapter cable.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:52 AM #15
tarrguy57

even then, would the software even work on current OSs?

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T
Old 05-16-2013, 12:04 AM #16
custar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrguy57 View Post
well even if i had each cable wouldn't make much difference since from what I hear both use a port that hasn't been on modern computers for years.
The laptop I am posting this from has parallel and serial ports on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez17 View Post
I prefer the WAS to the Pandora but I like the Tadao board over both of them.
Seconded. I have had two Pandora boards go stupid on me. I have not had a WAS or Tadao board go stupid on me.

custar

"That the said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United states who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms..."
Samuel Adams
Ave Caesar Obama! Tributituri ad moritus te salutant.

Looking for Action Markers Diadem Tanks for sale

Old feedback thread

Last edited by custar : 05-16-2013 at 12:07 AM.
custar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:19 AM #17
tarrguy57

Didnt say computers with the port arent out there i just dont have access to any. Plus Haven't seen a computer with those ports in years and I work at best buy.

Any who I don't like how I have to push the bolt forward on the WAS board compared to holding the trigger for 3 seconds on the Pandora. Besides that I haven't really noticed a difference between them.

Gearbag Sale

OpsGear Sniper A5 FS/T