PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-01-2011, 02:19 PM #715
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

has been a member for 10 years
Death_Taco's LeanGains revisited

So during a massive break in work I decided to look over the Leangains site in detail and figured I would bring this little snip of information to this thread.
-Cheers

Why is LG format of IF is more consistent than most diet routines?

From reading, it appears that LG format of IF handles water-retention better than other diets. What's this mean? Your body holds on to water less than other forms of dieting...so consistent weight loss on the scale is seen, and consistent weight loss in the mirror is noticed.

Factors that contribute:
-Cortisol: Cortisol promotes massive water retention in high levels. What causes cortisol accumulation?
*Stress
*Prolonged calorie deficits
*HIIT cardio
Quote:
In simple terms, higher calorie deficits [over a steady period of time] usually result in more erratic, non-linear weight loss
Cliffs? Starving yourself with exaggerated deficits from exercise can lead to stalling due to water retention. What does this mean? You won't see noticeable results on the scale or in the mirror. So you get frustrated and quit the diet and gain back some of the fat you lost.

How LG combats this?
By alternating carbohydrate levels, fasting and low/high calorie days, you get the best of both worlds in term of glycogen depletion, refeeding, and water loss.

Quote:
If you do it right, this will have the effect of pulling water outside the muscle cell into the muscle cell. Along with increased muscle glycogen, this will give you a lean and full appearance the next day - ideally also causing a "whoosh" over night.

The main cause for most people however is fluctuations in Sodium levels. How do you combat this? Well...simple.

Quote:
The most common reason people hold water is due to shifts in sodium balance. Going from a low baseline intake of sodium to sudden and high intakes can have dramatic effects on your visual appearance (which any bodybuilding-competitor can attest to). Conversely, reducing sodium can have the opposite effect and cause water loss. This is all about relative and not absolute numbers; it's not high sodium per se that cause water retention/water loss, but deviations from the habitual intake. The solution therefore is to reduce sodium to a level below baseline. So for a day or two...

* Ditch all canned or pre-packaged foods since they tend to contain a lot of sodium. A paleo approach to food choices is a pretty good model to use for your diet during these days since it's relatively low in sodium.

* Reduce spices and table salt - make a conscious effort to use less than you're used to. An easy way to reduce sodium without feeling deprived is to use a salt substitute, which contains only half of the sodium chloride found in regular salt.

* Drink a ton of water. Aim for 6-8 liters. You should be pissing like a race horse.

Probably a "duh" for some of the advanced people in here...but for others wondering "WHY" Leangains works or what food choices to make...here is a bit of the motivation behind the choices you are making.
Death_Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2011, 04:24 PM #716
FHS JewFro
black AND white

i enjoyed the read dt

makes me want to go back to leangains

i had a problem with the sodium and also not eating enough, i prob didnt change my diet till 3-4 weeks in, so i am curious to see my results if i did it correctly for 8 weeks
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:00 PM #717
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

It's not really focused upon...and it's not necessarily what he promotes as a strict guideline...just a general rule of thumb.

But believe it or not, Martin Berkhan promotes "Paleo style food choices are optimal."

He's not talking about no beans, etc and all that stupid ****...but rather try to get your food sources from as whole sources as possible without much seasoning, spices or salt.

*raw spices are fine...just not a lot of the Salt containing ones.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM #718
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

I've been working out of town living in a hotel for 7 weeks.....been using buffets and GIANT boars head sandwiches for pwm's....lots of salt in all that :/ But all you can eat sushi/hibachi is just...so...win...

BRB BUYING COLEMAN STOVE

THANKS COMPANY FOR NOT UNDERSTANDING A RENTAL HOUSE IS CHEAPER AND EASIER

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
EPAPressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 PM #719
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

Dirtybirdy51 is a Paintball photographer
i swear to dog, i must have used half the ocean's salt when preparing my sweet potatoes today.

****s given? zero.

i drink a **** ton of water, so im alllll set.
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
AUD- passed, REG- passed, BEC- passed, FAR- scores due 3/10
Dirtybirdy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM #720
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

eh, Na:K is also an important ratio. Water isn't the end-all solution to high sodium intake.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM #721
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

prolly, i just assume im all set. it must have something to do with individual tolerances as well.
Originally posted by Black Angus: "So, apparently, if you post in the mountain climbing thread that you enjoy climbing because you can fap off the top of the mountain and watch your *** fly in the wind, you get banned."
Old 11-01-2011, 08:30 PM #722
Death_Taco
Come at me bro.

One thing I was thinking...

What is the cutoff for caloric/carb cycling on off-days to where you stop getting any extra benefits?

Obviously, you'd have to reach protein requirements and fat requirements. So for me, that'd put me (at 1.25-1.5g/Lb LBM and .2-.25 x calories):

P: ~195-230g (Assuming 11% BF at 175lbs)
F: ~50-70g (Assuming .3-.4 x Weight ~~25% of calories)

So that'd be me around: 1390 [avg] total required calories for P/F.
Given that I do cardio on off-days...I'd assume I would need some carbs, obviously. Most likely at 12pm meal and 30-40minutes before cardio...or at least BCAAs prior + carbs after.

Just wondering where the benefits stop happening, and it starts becoming detrimental.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:48 AM #723
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

Done goofed. Off day yesterday, went to parents house, they had more food than I knew what to do with. Ate about 700g of carbs, albeit it was all healthy stuff (granola, bananas, sweet potato pancakes, honey peanut butter sammiches)

First "cheat day" in 2 weeks. Doesn't feel too bad though, needed that.

-Said nobody, ever.

"Originally posted by drgonzo: That doesn't make sense, the people with the most interaction and dependence on government have the most significant stakes and should have the vote if anyone. People who reject government and do not use government services should be denied the vote if anything." ^^FAIL

"Originally posted by Rebeltilldeath3: When I think geocities I think ****ty tiled background and sparkly titles. Think of a minority's myspace page."
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 AM #724
Yabbeth of Habbs
Im into Distribution

So If I want to use leangains to drop fat, just follow the guidlines but cut he carb intake? or just do it as shown and not give ****s?

Also will running the SS 5x5 Program be beneficial during this time, or should I look into a program that does not have me squatting 3 days a week?

Ya'll musta forgot

Last edited by Yabbeth of Habbs : 12-27-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Yabbeth of Habbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 AM #725
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Suggestions for low carb meals, protein already met.

"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM #726
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

salad. fatty dressing.
Old 01-29-2012, 03:43 PM #727
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution View Post
I hear meat is pretty low carb, but if you're worried an extra 30g of protien will ruin your day then I would suggest something from the asian market. It's not carbs, it's not protien, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it makes you full.

-Said nobody, ever.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:46 PM #728
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Lol at you sig, because your going to stay fat for life

Old 01-29-2012, 03:50 PM #729
EPAPressure
Jobs are for immigrants

I'm not really fat though :/

Why you always tryin to hate anyways? I know it sucks being your age and living at home with mom and dad, well, not really I never was one for free loading, but try and cheer up soon!

-Said nobody, ever.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:00 PM #730
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPAPressure View Post
I hear meat is pretty low carb, but if you're worried an extra 30g of protien will ruin your day then I would suggest something from the asian market. It's not carbs, it's not protien, I'm not sure exactly what it is, but it makes you full.
How is this helpful, I've met my protein intake so it should be obvious that I'm not interested in eating more meat. Then you start taking about some asian crap, when you have no idea what it is

Extremely helpful...

Old 01-29-2012, 04:03 PM #731
Barber
Moose Krew.

Barber plays in the PSP
Barber plays in the APPA D4 division
Needing fats? I would use avocados for something. Or sautee some mushrooms and onions or something.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:09 PM #732
enviousjohn

enviousjohn owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
enviousjohn posts videos on PbNation
enviousjohn is reppin' sidebar 4 life
enviousjohn has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pump Revolution View Post
-Eggs cooked in ghee with some sort of fatty meat (sausage, thick cut bacon, etc.)
-Salad with chicken and fatty dressing
-Avocado
-Some meat and cheese, if you don't have any weird dairy reactions
-Beanless chili

You're essentially just looking for high fat, very low/no carb meals, correct? Fatty meats, eggs and cheese seem to be the best bets (again, assuming you don't have any casein/lactose intolerance issues).
enviousjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:15 PM #733
Dirtybirdy51
Fuark!

shots of ranch dressing and olive oil
Old 01-29-2012, 04:28 PM #734
Pump Revolution
It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviousjohn View Post
-Eggs cooked in ghee with some sort of fatty meat (sausage, thick cut bacon, etc.)
-Salad with chicken and fatty dressing
-Avocado
-Some meat and cheese, if you don't have any weird dairy reactions
-Beanless chili

You're essentially just looking for high fat, very low/no carb meals, correct? Fatty meats, eggs and cheese seem to be the best bets (again, assuming you don't have any casein/lactose intolerance issues).
Can't do eggs, stomach doesn't handle them well and I hate them anyways.

Will prob try cheese.

Going to be using peanut butter and bacon too to fill up fats

Old 01-30-2012, 01:23 PM #735
Bayne
Trucks? Haha, 7/8/08

You need ideas for low carb?
Try here.

ST: Photo- Rimjobs and tummy rubs all around.
I am heaven sent, don't you dare forget.
Bayne is offline   Reply With Quote