FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Anyone try a smaller o-ring on the G6R ram cap?

I've tried the stock o-ring which is 1x15mm and it just doesn't want to go in without a fight. I've read threads on here and tried getting it to fit and it just doesn't work unless I poke and prod it into place. I got some smaller o-rings and so far, no problems; cap goes on fine and doesn't leak. Anyone else try just using a smaller o-ring?
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2011, 08:24 PM #2
MattEdge
C

I haven't had as much of a problem with it by simply rolling it in (inserting the bottom first, then rolling it in)

Haven't tried a smaller o-ring. Any leak issues?
MattEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:15 PM #3
FallNAngel
Vicious Circles

Annual Supporting Member
FallNAngel is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VI
FallNAngel is playing at Living Legends VII
FallNAngel supports DLX Technology
Any time I tried inserting the ram cap (straight, rolling, etc), it never worked. The o-ring would *always* get pinched putting it back in. Now if I took something thin and pushed it in a bit, it'd fit fine, but the last thing I want to do (or should have to do) is deal with something like that.

So I purchased two different o-ring sizes. One was 1x14 and the other was 1.5 x 13. The 1.5 x 13 would give the same OD and fit tighter to the cap, but be thicker. The 1 x 14 would fit the cap the same, but the OD would be a bit smaller and hopefully not catch on the body.

1.5 x 13 seems way too big, but the 1 x 14 fits just fine. I've only aired it up and dry fired it a few dozen times, but so far, it's holding up enough. I can see a small amount of grease being pushed out between the cap and body, though I don't know if it's due to the o-ring or the fact that I swapped the screw with a thumb screw; I'll have to continue to experiment. So far though, if there's any air loss, it's not audible. I'll put some soap/water on there to see what happens, but in general I wanted to see if anyone else had experience with doing something like this.
If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers. -John Carmack
FallNAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:53 PM #4
jrmiller
••Swing the hammer••

id think i would work fine. i would add a bit of dow55 to make it swell just a bit and it should be prefect
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote