Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 08-26-2014, 09:48 PM #1
philwoz98

Trying to replace set screws on Viking, any suggestions on how to get them out?

Hi, I am trying to replace the set screws (in the body of the gun) on my 03 Viking. The problem being is am bending the hell out of my Allen key set trying to remove them and am afraid I will strip them too. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get these out? Thank you in advance and long live AKA!
philwoz98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2014, 10:03 PM #2
nlrunkle
Summit City PaintballPark

nlrunkle has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Not sure what people are using to put these in with, red Loctite? I've seen 2 Vikings this past week with heat discoloration marks on the bodies from people using torches to heat up the set screws for removal. Seriously no need to go that crazy with loctite.

Personally I would try heat first and see if that breaks the set screw. Put your allen in the screw and use a torch to heat up the allen. That way the heat is transferred to the screw and your not discoloring your body. Use a pair of vice grips on the other end to hold on and turn. I also use MAP gas which gets hotter faster so your not sitting there for 15 minutes applying heat the whole time to things you really don't want to heat up.

Could also use PB Blaster and let it soak into the threads. If it's really stubborn, I'd let it soak in for a 24 hour period.

Could also use a easy-out. The typical ones that you see that look like a drill bit with the coarse grooves are junk for the most part. They can break easily if your not familiar with using them and then you have created another problem. I like the square easy-outs. They look like key stock but are tapered.

And worse case scenario if all else fails would be to drill it out and re-tap. Sometimes before I even do this though I'll get out a left handed drill bit and it will most of the time back the screw out.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any other questions.
nlrunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:10 AM #3
MeuroM

Body in boiling water. There's loctite on those setscrews.

I am MorueM / Cocker's and AKA's aficionado..
Resurrected Swirl / Poop-O-type / RevengeV2 / Most of my AKA bunch
MeuroM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:16 AM #4
dopefedz

I second boiling water.
dopefedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:08 PM #5
philwoz98

Ok, so I should disassemble it and hold it in boiling water (so the solenoid doesn't get wet) for 2, 3, 5 mins?
Old 08-27-2014, 09:17 PM #6
spreck
I like to move it move it

has been a member for 10 years
take the solenoid off
spreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:34 PM #7
philwoz98

I might just send it in to DC and have him do it, I don't trust myself taking the noid off
Old 08-27-2014, 10:24 PM #8
Evil_racecocker
Mad Metal Scientist

Evil_racecocker is a Supporting Member
Is it leaking from the set screws? why replace them if there is nothing wrong.

My Custom Guns
---------------------------------------------------
pbnation feedback #1
pbnation feedback #2
Evil_racecocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:12 PM #9
philwoz98

No it's not leaking, it's more of a laundry list/ cosmetic (all hardware be SS) type of thing to do, plus I bought the SS set screws already thinking it be easy to replace and boy was I wrong.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 PM #10
The Voice of God

Those set screws seal the major air passage ways and are sealed with green loctite when originally assembled/built at the factory (AKALMP). They were not really meant to come out. But if you are dead set on replacing the set screws with SS then you could try the boiling water thing (not sure if it will get enough heat though).

TVOG
Old 09-07-2014, 12:15 AM #11
Person

Person is a Supporting Member
Here is a hot tip - the original set screws are awesome and black is cooler than stainless.

Better off being cool and leaving them alone. Go for a cool "all blacked out" look instead. If the set screws were stainless from the factory guys would be trying to get those out to replace them with black steel.

But otherwise as others have said, they are loc tited and some heat will get them loose.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:38 AM #12
Frizzle Fry
AO Micromag Guy

Frizzle Fry is playing at Living Legends III
Frizzle Fry owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Destructive Customs (now AKA also) sells SS and Blackout kits... I had no problem removing most of them, but the rear passenger side on the lower tube was a lost cause. No amount of heat would do it, nor did the handful of allen keys I broke.