Community Focus

Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 PM #1
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

shankmcgank is playing at Living Legends V
shankmcgank owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
shankmcgank supports Team VICIOUS
Thumbs up Stop your marker from being stolen for under $20 !!!

***If this thread helps you, please report for sticky, I'd appreciate it. I spent more time making this thread and formatting it, than it took me to make the lock.***

Introduction:

I've seen a lot of threads in the theft forums where people have had their markers stolen from paintball fields. For a lot of people, especially the younger kids who don't have jobs, a stolen marker could prevent them from playing paintball for a very long time. They might have cut grass all summer and saved up birthday and Christmas money to buy their marker, only to have some heartless thief steal it from them. I guess if they were deperate enough, they could use rental gear, but after having your pride and joy stolen from you, who wants to do that ?

For the players fortunate enough to own multiple markers and want peace of mind while they play, this lock should suit your needs as well.

I'm going to show you step-by-step, how to make a lock for your marker - and other gear - for under $20. You will be able to use this lock to secure your marker to a bench, tree, gear bag, or anything else you'd like to lock it to.

You may be able to find one of these pre-made, so make sure to ask while you are at the store. I went to Walmart and Canadian Tire and a well-stocked bicycle shop, and they didn't have any.

Let's get down to business !

What you will need:

Note: Everything I bought was at Canadian Tire. For those of you living in the USA or overseas, a hardware store will most likely have everything we will need.

1. Coated aircraft cable - 10' length, 3/32" diameter - Cost: $4.90: Aircraft cable is a braided steel cable that, for this diameter, requires over 1000 lbs of force to break it. It is important that you buy coated cable. The coated cable has a plastic sheathing on it that prevents the braided steel cable from scratching your marker. Make sure you don't forget this ! You can usually find coated aircraft cable in the section that sells lengths of chain on spools. You should be able to find this type of cable near it on spools as well.

I bought a 10 foot length in 3/32" diameter, this will enable you to lock your marker to a bench or tree, yet still be able to move it around without much hassle. My Planet Eclipse Lowland Traveler bag, also has 2 holes drilled into it for locking purposes, so buying a longer length of cable is very helpful. The 3/32" diameter is big enough to prevent someone from breaking your cable lock without cutting it, but small enough to fit through the grip frame of your marker. Make sure when the cable is cut, that the ends aren't frayed and it's a clean cut. If the cut ends of the cable are frayed, then you won't be able to fit them into the sleeves - this is very important !

2. Aluminum sleeves - 3/32" Diameter 8 per package, we will use 2 - - Cost: $1.99: These will most likely be found right next to the spools of coated aircraft cable. Make sure you get the right diameter sleeves for the coated aircraft cable you buy.

3. Electrical Tape - 1 roll - Cost: $1.99 - Get a roll of good quality electrical tape, don't skimp on it. Trying to save a dollar on tape might result in the tape coming off of your lock and allowing the aluminum sleeves to become exposed and scratch your marker. Please get yourself some good quality electrical tape.

4. Crimpers / Pliers - You may need these to help you pull the cable through the sleeve.

5. Hammer - You will need this to secure the aluminum sleeves so that the cable cannot be pulled through again. The sleeves are too strong to crimp with pliers or crimpers.

5. Padlock or combination lock - If you are younger, you probably have an old lock from your school locker laying around. If not, see if your mom or dad have one from an old storage locker or something that they don't need anymore. You can buy a suitable lock for $5-$10. Make sure you don't lose the key ! If you prefer use a combination lock, however - if someone knows what they are doing, it's quite easy to figure out the combination by manipulating the lock, and someone might be able to unlock it and take your marker. For this reason I recommend a lock that comes with a key.

Time:
Drive to mall: 15 minutes
Buy items: 15 minutes
Drive home: 15 minutes
Make lock: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour.

Starting Materials:
Coated Aircraft Cable: $5
Aluminum Sleeves: $2
Electrical Tape: $2
Lock: $10
Total Cost: $19.

Now that you've obtained all the parts and tools you will need, let's get to work !

Instructions:

1. Slide one of the sleeves over a cut end of the cable. Make a loop in the end that is big enough to fit the lock through, but small enough so that it can easily slide through the grip frame of your marker. Slide the cable back through the sleeve again. Make sure that the end of the coated aircraft cable is about a 1/4 inch below the bottom of the sleeve so that it will be extra secure.

2. Grab your hammer and find a hard surface, I used the patio at my condo. Lay the loops flat on the ground and bash them a few times with the hammer. The sleeves may not distort too much, and this is ok. Just make sure that when you tug on the loops of cable that the cable doesn't slide, if it does, hit it a few more times. Once you think the cable is secured in the loops really give it a good tug like you're a thief trying to break the lock, and make sure it holds securely. If you feel it move, hit it a few more times and try again. Remember, the goal of this is to prevent someone from being able to defeat the lock and take your marker, so make sure it holds !

3. Neatly wrap the aluminum sleeves with your good quality electrical tape. Make sure you do this neatly as you want it to be weather proof and you don't want the tape falling off, You also want this to be able to fit through your grip frame. Make sure that you wrap the end of the cable where it exits the sleeve very well, this will prevent the exposed end of the cut cable from scratching anything. Plus, if you've taken the time to make this lock you want it to look nice, don't you ? Repeat steps 1 and 2, this time with the other end of the cable. If you've done it properly, it should look like this:

Some pictures of my lock.

Planet Eclipse Lowland Traveller Gear Bag with Factory Made Lock Holes: The writing on the bag where the cable lock enters says: "Eclipse Bag Lock".

!!! Congratulations !!! You're finished !!! You've made a nice looking and very protective lock that should give you peace of mind in case you need to use the bathroom, want to get food, or if you have multiple markers and you don't want them stolen while you're playing a game.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

If this thread was helpful to you, feel free to comment and / or leave pictures of your lock below.

Good luck,
Shank.

***If you do not have a marker lock, please spend $20 and one hour of your time and make yourself one. I guarantee you, if you make it you won't regret it. However, now that you've seen how inexpensive and easy this lock is to make, if you don't and your marker gets stolen - I can guarantee you will regret it.***

Please Note: Pictures with my marker in them have been tagged to hopefully prevent someone from using them to scam.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Planet Eclipse Etek 3 AM - Cure 3+
Stiffi Shaft Kit
Dye Rotor - Virtue Soft Cycle
Guerrilla Air Carbon Fiber 68/4500

Last edited by shankmcgank : 02-13-2011 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Formatting
shankmcgank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2011, 10:46 PM #2
USAFWD
Privates Investigator

Annual Supporting Member
USAFWD is a Mega Moderator
USAFWD plays in the PSP
USAFWD donated to help Peyton Trent
USAFWD supports our troops
USAFWD supports DLX Technology
USAFWD is All In
USAFWD is All In
I like this very much
USAFWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 AM #3
PAPA_SMURF1

Where would you be that you need to "lock up" your marker? People could still steal the hopper and tank.
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:02 AM #4
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA_SMURF1 View Post
Where would you be that you need to "lock up" your marker? People could still steal the hopper and tank.
A paintball field ?

Try using the search function and see how many threads you find titled: "Marker stolen from (insert location)".

Purple BL victory STOLEN from TC paintball Grand Rapids:
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...=marker+stolen

"It is owned by a buddy of mine who was playing on January 30, 2011. Marker was stolen within 2 hours of the end of the tournament."

Gun stolen in South Florida

"Well went out to Extreme Rage paintball park in Hollywood, FL with my cousins last week and turns out one of his friends that went along ended up having his blue Spyder Pilot stolen as well as his hopper, think it was a black/smoke halo B, while we were out playing our last game (wasn't working so he went ahead of got a rental for the day). "

Lost/Stolen Red/Graphite Dye NT @ Top Gun Paintball $500 Reward for Returned Marker

"On the date of 11/21/10 my friend's Dye NT was either lost/stolen. I am not sure as to who took it but, if it was returned there will be a $500 reward offered to the person who finds this.

His whole team was staging at the X-ball Field near the chronograph area. Maybe someone has stole the gun while everyone was on the field; just trying to rationalize the whole situation."

!!!! missing/stolen 2010 graphite and red nt!!!!

"It was last seen at topgun paintball on sunday the 21st of november in an empty paint box near the crono."

That's just from ONE page of 20 pages worth of search results. Need I go on ?

I play at a field that I've never heard of a theft from before. That doesn't mean that next week somebody won't try... In the meantime, while I'm playing a game, getting food or using the bathroom, I don't have to worry about someone walking off with my marker.

Sure, they could get my tank and my hopper...but they won't get the Etek 3 AM that I spent $600 on last year.

Nobody is forcing you to make a lock for your marker. If yours gets ripped off because you couldn't be bothered to spend $19 and an hour of your time to make it, you're going to facepalm and be really mad at yourself.

Silly question is very silly...

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 02-14-2011, 12:51 PM #5
agarcia59

Legit.
agarcia59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:21 PM #6
seriouslysilly

seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
seriouslysilly owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
seriouslysilly posts videos on PbNation
seriouslysilly has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I have recommended these in the past for locking up your marker or bag.

It's retractable and has a combination so you don't have to worry about a key.

This one sells for $17
seriouslysilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 PM #7
PAPA_SMURF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankmcgank View Post
A paintball field ?

Try using the search function and see how many threads you find titled: "Marker stolen from (insert location)".

Purple BL victory STOLEN from TC paintball Grand Rapids:

"It is owned by a buddy of mine who was playing on January 30, 2011. Marker was stolen within 2 hours of the end of the tournament."

Gun stolen in South Florida

"Well went out to Extreme Rage paintball park in Hollywood, FL with my cousins last week and turns out one of his friends that went along ended up having his blue Spyder Pilot stolen as well as his hopper, think it was a black/smoke halo B, while we were out playing our last game (wasn't working so he went ahead of got a rental for the day). "

Lost/Stolen Red/Graphite Dye NT @ Top Gun Paintball $500 Reward for Returned Marker

"On the date of 11/21/10 my friend's Dye NT was either lost/stolen. I am not sure as to who took it but, if it was returned there will be a $500 reward offered to the person who finds this.

His whole team was staging at the X-ball Field near the chronograph area. Maybe someone has stole the gun while everyone was on the field; just trying to rationalize the whole situation."

!!!! missing/stolen 2010 graphite and red nt!!!!

"It was last seen at topgun paintball on sunday the 21st of november in an empty paint box near the crono."

That's just from ONE page of 20 pages worth of search results. Need I go on ?

I play at a field that I've never heard of a theft from before. That doesn't mean that next week somebody won't try... In the meantime, while I'm playing a game, getting food or using the bathroom, I don't have to worry about someone walking off with my marker.

Sure, they could get my tank and my hopper...but they won't get the Etek 3 AM that I spent $600 on last year.

Nobody is forcing you to make a lock for your marker. If yours gets ripped off because you couldn't be bothered to spend $19 and an hour of your time to make it, you're going to facepalm and be really mad at yourself.

Silly question is very silly...
The reason peoples things get stolen is becasue they do not watch their own things. I have NEVER had anything stolen, Do you know why? I do not leave my stuff laying around. Obviously a lot of people do this by the amount of stolen things in the theft forum. It is not a useful application for me but, For some it is. It is still a great idea though none the less.
PAPA_SMURF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 12:26 AM #8
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriouslysilly View Post
I have recommended these in the past for locking up your marker or bag.

It's retractable and has a combination so you don't have to worry about a key.

This one sells for $17

Looks like a Kryptonite lock. I tried to find one that would suit my purposes, but I couldn't find one that was long enough for my liking, or small enough to pass through the holes in my PE gear bag. Unfortunately the cable that comes with that lock is only 3 feet long which is much too short to go around a bench, through my PE gear bag's lock holes and then through my marker. While it might just make it, there wouldn't be any room for movement and that's why I wanted the 10 foot length.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA_SMURF1 View Post
The reason peoples things get stolen is becasue they do not watch their own things. I have NEVER had anything stolen, Do you know why? I do not leave my stuff laying around. Obviously a lot of people do this by the amount of stolen things in the theft forum. It is not a useful application for me but, For some it is. It is still a great idea though none the less.
It's hard to keep an eye on your extra markers if you're on the field playing a game. I also don't like carrying my marker every single place I go. Try putting fixings on a hot dog with the same hand you're holding it with ! And who wants to bring their marker inside a porta-potty with them ?

While I agree that people shouldn't leave their stuff laying around for people to steal, sometimes circumstances make this nearly impossible at best.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit

Last edited by shankmcgank : 02-15-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:41 PM #9
TheEnglishGuy

Great idea! Sticky Up!

English
TheEnglishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:18 AM #10
purplepanda14

or u can spend less money and time and just buy a bike lock, but still a nice tip for all those hands on paintballers out there
purplepanda14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 04:59 PM #11
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankmcgank View Post

You may be able to find one of these pre-made, so make sure to ask while you are at the store. I went to Walmart and Canadian Tire and a well-stocked bicycle shop, and they didn't have any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepanda14 View Post
or u can spend less money and time and just buy a bike lock, but still a nice tip for all those hands on paintballers out there

As I said in my introduction, you might be able to find one of these pre-made. I went to 3 different stores and couldn't find one that suited my needs. After 3 failures I realized that for the time I waste driving around I could buy my own materials and make my own.

If you can find a bike lock that suits your needs, you might be better off going that route. Remember though, most bikelocks are only a couple feet long, whereas my cable is 10 feet long. More than enough to wrap around a tree, bench or something else, and still be able to move my bag around without any hassle.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 02-25-2011, 09:21 PM #12
dilligaf5050

Thief trap,
-1 car battery ( in gear bag)
- jumper cables, rigged to marker ( you can figure this out)
-loosely draped jersey over rigged cables( this is key to not being obvious)
- sit back ( way back) and catch the Pb bandit!

US patient pending... Don't pirate my idea, for your own.... A lot of thought went into this!
dilligaf5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:07 AM #13
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Ken448 posts videos on PbNation
Ken448 supports Empire
Id use heat shrink around the ends, thicker than tape.
Ken448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:33 AM #14
GoblyGoop

Soo...if I just pick up that table leg..and walk off with the stuff and the lock..thats ok too?

Might be easier just to drill and hole for a kensington lock. I take a leak with my marker. It would be easier to setup a buddy system. 1 team watches one groups stuff while they play and then they trade.

I dunno how useful the lock is, but your instructions and formatting are excellent.

http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=3975908

~(*)Slate Revi (rev-i) up F/S Only. Tricked out and super clean(*)~
http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...highlight=revi
GoblyGoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM #15
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblyGoop View Post
Soo...if I just pick up that table leg..and walk off with the stuff and the lock..thats ok too?

Might be easier just to drill and hole for a kensington lock. I take a leak with my marker. It would be easier to setup a buddy system. 1 team watches one groups stuff while they play and then they trade.

I dunno how useful the lock is, but your instructions and formatting are excellent.

Fail...

The picture was taken in my computer room. I was using my computer desk for an example picture. I'm pretty sure most people understood that...

Are you going to walk away with the entire picnic table when I loop it around and through the frame where the bench and leg connect ? Because nobody will notice you trying to walk away with a 100 lb picnic table slung across your back ?

I'm not sure how you failed so hard to comprehend how to use the lock. I thought I made it pretty clear in the instructions where I clearly said that you can attach it to a tree, bench or anything else you like.

Only an idiot would wrap it around a picnic table leg that can easily be lifted up.

The buddy system isn't practical in a lot of cases, and most people don't like lugging their marker around with them everywhere they go, especially when they are going to the bathroom.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit

Last edited by shankmcgank : 03-02-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Le Sigh
Old 03-02-2011, 07:19 PM #16
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken448 View Post
Id use heat shrink around the ends, thicker than tape.
I agree. Heat shrink would probably be better.

Can that be used with a hair dryer ? Or do I need to buy a special heat gun for it ?

I suggested electrical tape because it is cheap and easy to use. However if I can get some heat shrink and a hair dryer will work for it, then I'll reformat the pictures and instructions to include that option as well.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM #17
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 supports Empire
stove or a simple lighter will do.. And depending how thick it is.. Hair dryer could do it.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:27 PM #18
handmadeaxe

Too bad my tank and hopper (which could still be stolen) is worth more than my ion. but still this is a great idea, if i ever get an expensive gun i will probably do this.
handmadeaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:30 PM #19
Ken448
Meow

Ken448 supports Empire
Thieves are opportunistic, and if its work to get something, they will move on. If your tank and hopper are on the gun, they likely will move on. Since they dont know exactly where you are, or when you are returning.. The quicker the grab, the better.

Im horrible at this, because I usually have at least 3 guns with me at any given time. Extra hoppers and tanks in my bag as well.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 PM #20
shankmcgank
Squeezin' trigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by handmadeaxe View Post
Too bad my tank and hopper (which could still be stolen) is worth more than my ion. but still this is a great idea, if i ever get an expensive gun i will probably do this.
Depends on the bag you have.

The PE gear bag I have has eyes that you can put a lock through once you close the zippers. This is one on every zipper on the bag, except the tiny one for your player ID card. So in your case, put your marker inside the bag, put a lock through the zipper, and then run your cable lock around the table / tree / whatever and through the lock on your bag.

I had backpacks back in high school that I could lock this way as well. You don't need a fancy gearbag to do it with, as long as you have 2 holes you can get a lock through, it will work.

! Beginner's Checklist !

Stiffi Shaft Kit
Old 03-03-2011, 10:06 PM #21
WeeAce
No, its not

WeeAce owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
WeeAce has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
WeeAce has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Great Idea, and a great post. Well done.

These are also sold by masterlock as premade in various lengths
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1287101&cp=2568443.2568451.262 6218.1259621

For those who are technically challenged