Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-15-2011, 03:56 PM #1
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Cheers! supports Sherwood Forest
Cheers! is reppin' sidebar 4 life
So a question is on my mind, cole69 I could use your help

Hey everyone, I've been lurking around here for a while but have actually never(?) posted in this forum. I'm trading for a quest (06, gen 3) in a few days, just need to wait for my gun to be shipped to college from my home to make the deal. Anyways, onto the questions.

I had a stock quest back in 08. LOVED how it shot, the thing was absolute butter. But the damnest thing happened...while I was playing, I was shooting and everything was peachy but then all of a sudden my bolt cracked in half. I've seen this issue a little bit in this forum, especially on the GM bolts. Has this issue been resolved? And have the critical bolts ever had this problem? The quest I am getting (as long as the seller doesn't back out, but I don't think he will) comes with t he stock bolt and the critical bolt along with the snatch pin. If this does happen, what can I do? Would I have to buy a new bolt or would critical help me out? I know they have great service for those of us using the quest.

--But more importantly, what can I do to PREVENT my bolts from cracking in half? Preventative maintenance is the best maintenance imho

Thanks in advance guys
Cheers! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2011, 04:59 PM #2
RLN

RLN donated to help Peyton Trent
RLN owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
RLN has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
RLN has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
I believe the bolt cracking was due to a flaw in a limited run of Gold Member bolts. Otherwise the stock and RSF bolt should hold up just fine.
Christ Krew#291Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/feedback.php?u=383004
RLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:13 PM #3
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
Yup, Just use the Critical bolt, ordinary lubing and it'll run just fine no issues with it snapping.

As RLN said, the bolts that snapped were early Goldmembers, the stocks didn't and neither the RSF nor 4B have that issue.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:45 PM #4
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
Both the RSF and 4B bolts feature front bumpers (though in different locations) which should reduce shock on the bolt, which may help to prevent breakage.

The RSF bolt is waisted around the slot area, which was a potential source of weakness on the GM bolt, but makes up for this by using four large slots, rather than having lots of slots and lots of thin spokes, which should increase the strength of the spokes.

The 4B bolt has the thin slots and spokes, but there area isn't waisted, so the spokes are deeper - rather than thicker - and gain some strength that way.

Both bolts are a tighter fit in the body as they come out of the box, which would seem to suggest the o-rings sit a little prouder of the bolt surface, which in turn suggests that the o-ring grooves aren't quite as deep, which will hopefully mean that the bottom of the o-ring groove is less likely to split.

Altogether, these changes should mean that both bolts will be less likely to break than the Goldmember.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM #5
team_Static_Age

team_Static_Age owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
team_Static_Age supports Team VICIOUS
Cole will tell you the rsf. As will eye. I love mine and has made a great change. 4b is a lot of money for something I feel is not needed.
team_Static_Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:27 PM #6
tlmiller
Foul tempered old one

has been a member for 10 years
tlmiller owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tlmiller is for the Gunfight
I myself prefer the 4B, but that's because I hate venturi bolts. Have for almost 20 years now. Absolutely no basis for it anymore. Simply that when they first starting using it as a gimmick, they were usually far LOWER quality than other bolts, so I was conditioned to hate venturi bolts. I have an RSF (got a Critical Quest) and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Copy and paste this into your signature if you use Linux.
tlmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:36 PM #7
Cole69

Cole69 works for a Paintball manufacturer
Well Cheers one,im glad your back in the family and Yes the RSF bolt is better,and if it breaks ever we will replace for life......If there are any questions Critical will be happy to help....
Regards
Cole
Cole69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM #8
team_Static_Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole69 View Post
Well Cheers one,im glad your back in the family and Yes the RSF bolt is better,and if it breaks ever we will replace for life......If there are any questions Critical will be happy to help....
Regards
Cole
Not to mention it is a bolt made by the owners of fep.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 AM #9
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole69 View Post
Regards
Cole
Well that sounds damn good to me, thanks Cole .

Also I'm seeing a lot of you saying that the stock bolt didn't have breaking issues, but my bolt was stock (the one that snapped in half). Was it user error? I thought I was running it on usual settings (can't remember them, it was 3 years ago haha, but I do remember thinking that I didn't think it was the settings to be blamed). The goldmember bolt is in fact gold is it not? My bolt was silver.

But the general consensus here is that the RSF bolt+snatch pin=damn fine setup, right? That's what would be coming on my quest, along with the stock ones. But to be honest, even if this deal doesn't go through (knock on wood) I'm just going to buy a quest. I loved that thing so damn much and the support definitely is here. Looking forward to being able to shoot one of the best guns ever made again
Old 02-16-2011, 12:10 AM #10
team_Static_Age

F the snatch thats all im saying.. PEACE
Old 02-16-2011, 12:13 AM #11
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_Static_Age View Post
F the snatch thats all im saying.. PEACE
Sounds like someone has some bad blood towards the snatch. Did it ever give you issues?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:27 AM #12
StealingYerMail

I didn't like the snatch on my first Quest. Felt like it made the gun just slightly too long. I also think it looks leaner without it.
StealingYerMail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:28 AM #13
team_Static_Age

Not needed at all.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:41 AM #14
werminator

I love the snatchpin... I think my gun looks less like a shocker with that bulb sticking out the back. I also really like the ability to strip it down with my gloves on. Not as easy to do with allen key IMHO. That said, I remember reading somewhere that a large batch of goldmember bolts were released raw and not anno'd to the gold color. In otherwords, I believe there are some silver goldmember bolts floating around and those were amongst those prone to breakage...
werminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:43 AM #15
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Alright, just has no idea if it had any function other then just looking different/being tool less. I agree that it looks much leaner without the snatch pin, but I'll try out both. See what I like

^^Aha! That was it then (maybe)
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 AM #16
team_Static_Age

The only advantage is you dont have to lug your allens.. but wait what if you have to open your gun up to fix a leak... hmm.... have to bust out the keys.. or to unlock the board from tourney mode.. Your gonna always have allens no need for tool less
Old 02-16-2011, 12:51 AM #17
Uziel Gal
It's not a Geo2, honest..

Uziel Gal donated to help Peyton Trent
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Uziel Gal owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Uziel Gal supports our troops
I don't know about raw - presumably they were clear coated - but as has been stated, there were some bolts that had all the design features of the Goldmember bolt but weren't actually gold.
Uziel Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 AM #18
Cheers!
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by team_Static_Age View Post
The only advantage is you dont have to lug your allens.. but wait what if you have to open your gun up to fix a leak... hmm.... have to bust out the keys.. or to unlock the board from tourney mode.. Your gonna always have allens no need for tool less
Honestly I take my allen keys with me whenever I go, so its just all going to come down to how it feels in my hands...just like everything in paintball
Old 02-16-2011, 01:31 AM #19
Fallinher0
Taking Power Tokens

Annual Supporting Member
Fallinher0 donated to help Peyton Trent
I went with the 4b and love it. Your going to find bias here.

Cole will prefer the critical and so will static.

If you can afford the 4b I would purchase that, but if you can't then you need to do with critical.

The 4b is tool-less without the huge bulb like with the older snatch pins which i like, plus its reduces volume.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:48 AM #20
team_Static_Age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallinher0 View Post
I went with the 4b and love it. Your going to find bias here.

Cole will prefer the critical and so will static.

If you can afford the 4b I would purchase that, but if you can't then you need to do with critical.

The 4b is tool-less without the huge bulb like with the older snatch pins which i like, plus its reduces volume.
The only thing I do not get about the 4b is that you can achieve the same idea with the stock bolt and pin. You just need to mod it. I have a quest with a 4b and I have to say it is close to the rsf I just feel that with my rsf and modded bolt pin I get a little bit better numbers. Along with the lpr and hpr mods
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 AM #21
krazie805

If its the red critical bolt it says lifetime warranty on their website so i say who cares if it breaks send it bak rock the stock one till u get a new one
krazie805 is offline   Reply With Quote