PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-10-2015, 07:34 PM #1
_~Bubba~_
Originally a 2k3er

_~Bubba~_ owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
My dog dislikes other dogs...Help?

So I have a Pitt, he's about 5 and he was a rescue dog and we believe he was a bait dog from looking at his scars, and half of his ear missing. He ran straight to the kids and started loving on them, So we took him. He is very kind. He even welcomes the mail man to the door.

But I feel bad like he is getting a little lonely, since he doesn't really have a companion with the exception of my kids. He tries to play rough with me but I am not able to keep up with him and he plays too rough for the kids. But any time I have ever introduced him to other dogs he tries to attack them. Our friend had a 8 mo. old pup (Who was a rather large dog for his age) and he even went after him. Any ideas or tips on how to break him of this so? I was told to get a little puppy and he would take on the fatherly role and wouldn't be so aggressive being a baby puppy. I was even told to keep him and another dog at a distance and slowly move them closer to teach them territory is mutual??? (Not sure on that one.) If another dog is out of the yard he just bows up and barks. The neighbor has a little dog that he doesn't mind unless she comes into our yard then it becomes a chew toy. Anyone ever have this problem and how did you fix it?

TLR My dog is an ******* to other dogs, but I want get him a companion with out it getting mangled.
_~Bubba~_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-13-2015, 07:39 AM #2
(dr)
deft

has been a member for 10 years
(dr) plays in the PSP
(dr) is an NCPA player
(dr) plays in the APPA D4 division
You have to teach him to respect the rules as pack leader. If he gets too agressive (he will on a leash), you have to calm him and sometimes go as far as physically restraining them until they understand what they can and cannot do. Pitts have as much willpower as they do strength so you will have to watch him closely to ensure he doesn't get out of hand.
Having a badass dog comes with a big price, IMO. They are awesome dogs though.
(dr) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:47 PM #3
_~Bubba~_
Originally a 2k3er

Guess I can try that. None of my pits have even been aggressive. They have always been 100% loving and loyal.

But thanks, I'll try that out.
Old 07-20-2015, 05:06 PM #4
HerpaDerpa
I'm pretty frisky

Annual Supporting Member
HerpaDerpa is playing at Living Legends VIII
HerpaDerpa owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
HerpaDerpa has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
HerpaDerpa has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
HerpaDerpa has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
HerpaDerpa supports Empire
Quote:
Originally Posted by _~Bubba~_ View Post
So I have a Pitt, he's about 5 and he was a rescue dog and we believe he was a bait dog from looking at his scars, and half of his ear missing. He ran straight to the kids and started loving on them, So we took him. He is very kind. He even welcomes the mail man to the door.

But I feel bad like he is getting a little lonely, since he doesn't really have a companion with the exception of my kids. He tries to play rough with me but I am not able to keep up with him and he plays too rough for the kids. But any time I have ever introduced him to other dogs he tries to attack them. Our friend had a 8 mo. old pup (Who was a rather large dog for his age) and he even went after him. Any ideas or tips on how to break him of this so? I was told to get a little puppy and he would take on the fatherly role and wouldn't be so aggressive being a baby puppy. I was even told to keep him and another dog at a distance and slowly move them closer to teach them territory is mutual??? (Not sure on that one.) If another dog is out of the yard he just bows up and barks. The neighbor has a little dog that he doesn't mind unless she comes into our yard then it becomes a chew toy. Anyone ever have this problem and how did you fix it?

TLR My dog is an ******* to other dogs, but I want get him a companion with out it getting mangled.
Same boat here, bud. My pit was a rescue, and was used as a bait dog as well. I ended up giving in after a year and shipped her off to doggie boarding school.

It wasn't a cure-all, but it did help a little bit.

A few things I'll mention that I have to take notice of. Is your dog a male or female? Mine is female, and she is shocking well mannered around male dogs, but the minute a female dog comes around, it's like the apocalypse. Try experimenting with somebody you know and trust and see if your dog has the same or different reaction to dogs of each sex. Depending on what happens with that, you may be able to run with those results in a more positive direction.

As mentioned in the previous post, be dominant. Not overly so, but enough to get them submit. I've used harnesses, training collars, and shock collars. The shock collar ended up being a waste of money, she didn't give a **** if she got shocked or not. If you're walking the dog, keep a short, tight leash, and keep them right next to you with pressure on the training collar. It sounds barbaric, but it makes your life easier to get them to calm down/submit should you encounter another dog.

Verbalize, verbalize, verbalize. Use a negative when they don't do well with an interaction. Use positives and treats when they do do well. It's going to take time, but the most important thing is consistency in the reprimands.

I've accepted my dog will never be able to truly socialize, and I make exceptions to my schedule (running her early in the morning to avoid other dogs), but I've gotten her to the point where she doesn't have a catastrophic meltdown every time she sees another dog.

MACDEV MILITIA
LUXE MOB

VALAR MORGHULIS

WWW.HVPAINTBALL.COM
HerpaDerpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM #5
_~Bubba~_
Originally a 2k3er

Most of which I have done. I even have the pinch collar, he don't give a ****.

But the opposite sex thing I have not tried. The 3 males he's encountered did not end well, and the one female that I am aware of attacked him multiple times and he did what was necessary. But I don't know how he'd react. Now I am curious.