Community Focus
Community Focus

ReplyRegional Ups

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 PM #1
BloodinatorX

BloodinatorX has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BloodinatorX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
NW Winter Scene?

So this is my first winter playing up here. Coming from California where it rains like 2 days out of the year, I'm a bit curious how things go in these parts. I love the rain and snow as well as fall and winter but playing paintball in it? Sounds trippy (pun intended)... Is the turn out bad for the Portland area fields? I'm definitely a believer in the more the merrier, so showing up for a day of play and seeing like 5 people might discourage me from winter balling. I'm thinking more like speedball(Impact Action) but I'm curious about the other local fields with more land like Splat Action and Action Acres. I'm thinking if worse comes to worse maybe drive all the way down to Salem and play at the indoor field, however, it seems to be quite a bit pricier than a day at any of the other fields in the Area. So all that being said, you advice is welcome!

Main: Blue Invert Mini - Pic

Backup: The GreenMachine - Custom 01 Cocker - Pic
BloodinatorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2014, 11:59 PM #2
dodge1942
Co-Owner BNS Paintball

My team plays mostly scenario/woods, but we play all year, no matter the weather. Freezing cold, flash floods, snow... Played in almost everything. I actually think I play more in the "off" seasons than in the summer. And the thick layers of mud just help you slide into the bunkers that much better. :-)

Special Thanks to Tri-Lambs sponsors: Warpaint International, Pinokio Hoppers
RENEGADES - Supergame 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and Supergame 47!
dodge1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:48 AM #3
Hey SHAGGY
Codename: SHAGGY

Annual Supporting Member
Hey SHAGGY owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Hey SHAGGY plays in the APPA D4 division
Oregonians will play in anything and everything. Rain, sleet, or snow. Lol
Old Feedback
US Navy
UNDR PB
EMPIRE 2 TIMMY F/S
CLEAR "OG" FLEX'S F/S
Hey SHAGGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 11:03 AM #4
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
I have literally played in all conditions shaggy listed. Lol

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:08 PM #5
master_shooter

This is good to know, I am getting into PB and was wondering if the weather chased people indoors.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:02 AM #6
BloodinatorX

BloodinatorX has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
BloodinatorX has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Any advice for playing in rain or snow? Do you just wear your regular gear? Dosn't your mask fog? I heard it's bad to get your mask wet because it will ruin the fog resistance. I look forward to trying it out, but I'm not sure what to expect.

Main: Blue Invert Mini - Pic

Backup: The GreenMachine - Custom 01 Cocker - Pic
BloodinatorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 03:42 PM #7
chrisdelay

chrisdelay has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Fogging can happen. The "ruins the fog resistance" happens if/when water gets between the two panes for thermal lenses. Beyond that, other than having wet foam (which happens when you sweat anyway), water won't hurt anything.

You can play in the rain (and snow) just fine, just be careful with electronics (try not to drop your electro into a puddle, or expose the electronics to water), and try to keep the rain out of your hopper (sucks for people with speed feeds, unless they're just ROLLING through the paint.

It might be a good time, too, to check out the woodsball field(s) near you if it's raining...it always feels a little drier in the woods.
You gas up the marker, put on the mask, and walk onto the field. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girlfriend broke up with you the night before, or that you just had a bad day at work. This is your heaven on earth. Live it and play it as if there was no tomorrow.
(stolen with permission from theblackoutsavage)

Noobs Revenge Paintball

NoobsRevenge.com
chrisdelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 12:51 AM #8
dodge1942
Co-Owner BNS Paintball

I make sure to take more than the usual amount of spare batteries if it's gonna be really cold - ie below freezing. Battery performance can drop off sharply with temperature and it sucks to be mid game and have your gear go down with something that's easily replaceable.

Just to echo Chris, the only time I've had the weather kill a lens was in extremely heavy rain and water got in between the panes. I would recommend picking up some Fog Doc or similar and a good pair of dual pane/thermal lenses. Fans can help too if it's not raining too hard, but they can be noisy and I don't normally have a problem.

Special Thanks to Tri-Lambs sponsors: Warpaint International, Pinokio Hoppers
RENEGADES - Supergame 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 and Supergame 47!
dodge1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM #9
bolts

If it's raining I cover up the porting on my barrel with electrical tape. Don't point your gun up in the air to call yourself out, just use your hand.
bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 09:26 AM #10
chrisdelay

Eh, bolts, I disagree with both of those suggestions. Taping up the ports really won't help anything, as while any moisture that might make it into the barrel could possibly affect the first ball...the next balls through the barrel will be just fine (until the shooting stops and rain gets in again. Same can be said about the one-in-a-million rain down the barrel into the ball that's in position to be fired. Unless that's your last game of the day, and you leave paint in the gun, you're going to be fine.

/My $.02 anyway!
You gas up the marker, put on the mask, and walk onto the field. It doesn't matter that you failed a test, your girlfriend broke up with you the night before, or that you just had a bad day at work. This is your heaven on earth. Live it and play it as if there was no tomorrow.

Noobs Revenge Paintball

NoobsRevenge.com
Old 10-05-2014, 12:17 PM #11
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
Sorry Chris, taping up the ports makes a huge difference. I have played it both ways with and without the rain. Tape it up or don't shoot straight.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:07 PM #12
chrisdelay

I could totally be wrong, but unless it's been a torrential downpour, it hasn't help that I've found.

I've been wrong before, though. I think it was...what, '83?...but it happened! :-D

Noobs Revenge Paintball

NoobsRevenge.com
ReplyRegional Ups