PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2011, 01:31 AM #1
Carnage_17
BAMF

DC Universe

Anyone playing this game? I'm tired of everything atm and considering buying it. If anyone's played what's the raid sizes for dungeons etc. and pros/cons.

PM me a free trail if you got it i'll return the favor whenever I pick up mine.

Old Feedback
Carnage_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2011, 03:03 AM #2
DiStUrBeD-SoP-
We want the airwaves back

I bought it before i realized I didnt have time for another MMO, but for the 2 weeks or so that i did play it, I definitely thought it was worth the buy.

Pros:
-Combat is infinitely more fun than any press hotkey-cast spell game.
-Plenty of content at max level
-Can level a new character to max level in a few days
-PvP is balanced around skill more than gear due to the combat system.
-DC heroes are awesome
-Character creation is not as big as champions online or CoX but the graphics are much better. There are tons of styles available though so you can definitely make a unique hero/villain.

Cons:
-The game is brand new so there are the expected bugs
-It was designed to be played on a console so the UI is simplistic and not very mouse and keyboard friendly. Its not bad, it just takes some time to get used to. The game does support controllers though so if you have a USB xbox pad, that is an option that many people enjoy.
-The game doesn't have a lot of information in it so you have to use 3rd party resources. This is due to lack of quality tooltips and a very minimal tutorial that doesnt talk about the advanced mechanics of the game.

PvE:
-Alerts: Basic 4person instances.
-Duos: Level 30. 2players. Easiest place to get level 30 gear.
-Hardmode Alerts: Level 30(Max level) only. 4person groups again.
-Raids: Two 8person raids currently in the game. Planning to not go above 16 person raids in the future.

PvP
-Legends: You control a DC hero/villain instead of your own hero. Robin, Harley Quinn, Bane etc. Builds/gear don't matter here.
-Arena: You use your own hero so builds/gear matter. Various sized arena with control point style gameplay.

Overall it's a really fun game, and it's very casual. You don't have to spend long hours playing the game to get to the good stuff. If you do like to grind out 12 hours gaming sessions, you'll probably not be satisfied with the amount of content. SOE promised monthly content updates so it should stand just fine as a subscription based game.
DiStUrBeD-SoP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:15 AM #3
Carnage_17
BAMF

Good post, made me want it even more. I have another question though seems silly but I haven't seen anything on it. Can you change the key binds? Every gameplay video i see ppl use the default 1-8 and I know in some multiplatiform games the PC version gets shafted into not being able to.

Old Feedback

Last edited by Carnage_17 : 02-09-2011 at 03:18 AM.
Carnage_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:19 AM #4
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

I believe that is everything you should need to know. The guy is new at this but great at getting the point across.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:14 AM #5
MasterOfPupets

has been a member for 10 years
I play on PS3, so while I can't really tell you much about the game from the PC side of things, I can tell you about Content.

DCUO is the alt-whore dream. The leveling to max level is quick and painless, and it's fun. Each class (there are 6) feels unique. Each weapon style (there are a bunch, I forget how many) feels unique, and each mentor has several unique quests for characters started under them. The storylines are great, and if you're a DC fan you'll love fighting with and against a ton of the well known heroes/villians.

The alerts/duos/raids can be fun IF you have a good league to run with. There's a built in Queue system (think crappy ripoff of WoW's dungeon finder) but it has more bugs and problems than you can count. It's not even worth trying to use. Get a group of people who know how to use their roles though, and the instances are great. Duos are pretty easy, but also the quickest gear at 30. The big downside is that other than a couple of daily quests and the duos/alerts/raids, there's really nothing to do PvE wise at 30. Gets old really quick, and if you don't get in with a good group, it'll suck something awful.
MasterOfPupets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:10 PM #6
DiStUrBeD-SoP-
We want the airwaves back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage_17 View Post
Good post, made me want it even more. I have another question though seems silly but I haven't seen anything on it. Can you change the key binds? Every gameplay video i see ppl use the default 1-8 and I know in some multiplatiform games the PC version gets shafted into not being able to.
Yes, you can modify key bindings easily through the options menu. I must've been tired last night but the mouse and keyboard controls really arent that bad. Not worth noting

What is worth noting though is that it uses a guild wars style of only allowing 6 active abilitys plus one "potion" and one activated trinket. So you'll only have 8 hotkeys at a time. (These are just superpowers, all of your attack skills are done with various mouse combos. e.g. tap right click x2 then hold right click)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPupets View Post
I play on PS3, so while I can't really tell you much about the game from the PC side of things, I can tell you about Content.

DCUO is the alt-whore dream. The leveling to max level is quick and painless, and it's fun. Each class (there are 6) feels unique. Each weapon style (there are a bunch, I forget how many) feels unique, and each mentor has several unique quests for characters started under them. The storylines are great, and if you're a DC fan you'll love fighting with and against a ton of the well known heroes/villians.

The alerts/duos/raids can be fun IF you have a good league to run with. There's a built in Queue system (think crappy ripoff of WoW's dungeon finder) but it has more bugs and problems than you can count. It's not even worth trying to use. Get a group of people who know how to use their roles though, and the instances are great. Duos are pretty easy, but also the quickest gear at 30. The big downside is that other than a couple of daily quests and the duos/alerts/raids, there's really nothing to do PvE wise at 30. Gets old really quick, and if you don't get in with a good group, it'll suck something awful.
Its the same with the PC version.

The main points of the game are: the ease of making alts, the PvP, the open world. You have access to all of gotham and metropolis from chinatown to the top of the tallest skyscrapers. Nothing is instanced so world pvp is incredibly fun. You should definitely roll on a PvP server since it only makes the game more fun. League warfare on the tops of buildings is easily some of the most fun I had in the game.
DiStUrBeD-SoP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:33 PM #7
BawlsDeep
PSN ostolation

BawlsDeep plays in the PSP
BawlsDeep owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
BawlsDeep is an NCPA player
BawlsDeep plays in the APPA D5 division
I am totally enjoying this game a lot. Level 10 now and made a Punisher type of hero. Loving every second of it.

"Originally posted by AsianFrenzy666: Ummm... I was just being sarcastic. I overshot that guy with the intention of injuring him. In no way was I going to let him live."
BawlsDeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 AM #8
Charlie_Heston
Epic

Charlie_Heston is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Got to 30 in a couple days and got bored. Just didn't see enough content yet to make it worth keeping. Fighting alongside heroes and villains was fun though. I loved the Lantern missions.

Loved the twitch combat system as well with combos.

PVP is incredibly unbalanced, but I expected that only being a month old.

Matchmaking feature is useless as well.

I disappointed with the character creation system, Champions Online or City of Heroes/Villains has the better of the 3 superhero MMO's. There was much more variation in cosmetic pieces, and the initial design you make is pointless. Also I think there needed to be more abilities, like the 3 travel powers. Seems kind of stupid for everyone to have one of the 3.

Down the line I might try it out again, but it will probably be some time if at all.

PBN Steam Community
Charlie_Heston is offline   Reply With Quote