PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 05:47 PM #43
Straight 6 Glory 2 (Banned)
Straight sex Glory hole

I think we require an offical fish thread?

I'm taking pictures of my current stuff right now I have, I just need a Edit: FILTER and fishes. You think hose water would be good if I used that stuff that makes the water for fish okay?

Last edited by Straight 6 Glory 2 : 01-25-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2011, 05:53 PM #44
bigballsofpaint

has been a member for 10 years
bigballsofpaint plays in the PSP
bigballsofpaint owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
bigballsofpaint plays in the APPA D4 division
i use to have a 120gal with a arrowana around 14inch, and a lungfish about the same length. I sold it a while ago and when i get an apartment or house ill get one again. But i cant have a small tank as its just boring to me now after those guys....ropefish was cool, as was the needlenose gar i had.
A.P.S. --Rage A1, rage stiffi,3 piece eyes, magno kit -05 Speed- Bonzai Eclipse LED with Virtue
Misc -- Spanky Fishbone cocker -Empire Tracer --
Old GunsEclipse angle LED, 2x Angel LED, 06 Ego, Adrenaline Angel LCD, Stormtrooper Geo, Excaliber, Shocker 4x4
Old 01-25-2011, 05:54 PM #45
Simon
INCEPTION

Annual Supporting Member
Simon is a Mega Moderator
Simon is a founding member
Simon works for a Paintball manufacturer
Simon is playing at Living Legends VII
Simon supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the snake View Post
simon you should deffinatly get like a 350 gal and put into your new house! like build it into your wall! but most people put them like on the wall so you cant see the corners, i think if you put it in the wall on a corner so you could see the side of the tank to, THAT would be very bad ***
I've thought about doing that, and maybe some day, especially if I finish the basement at some point...

I've seen some amazing huge tanks and would like to do that one day, but I don't know if I would do fresh water or salt... I have never done salt but am quite tempted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straight 6 Glory 2 View Post
I think this just became it. I'll rename the title slightly.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:11 PM #46
Up the snake
RC Revolution

Up the snake plays in the USPL
Up the snake plays in the PSP
Up the snake donated to help Peyton Trent
Up the snake is an NCPA player
Quote:

I'm taking pictures of my current stuff right now I have, I just need a tank and fishes. You think hose water would be good if I used that stuff that makes the water for fish okay?
hell yea! lol

and at my house if virginia, we have 2 water jugs that are like 10 gallons each or something like that and we keep them filled with water at all times. not only will they be room temp when we do water changes, but we also put the de-chlorinator/chloramines water drops in the jugs too. so YES, the chemicals that you can buy from like petco would be fine.

but you have to make sure you let the tank cycle. you need to put the water in, then the right amount of de-chlorinator, and then let it run with the filters and heaters. THEN before the fish you plan on keeping for a long time, you need to help get BB or "beneficial bacteria" in your filter. And the only way to get the BB is to get the Nitrogen cycle going. and of course there are nitrItes, nitrAtes, and Ammonia. no what a lot of people do is just take a peice of dead shrip (or fish food,some use like a gold fish, and some dont) and put it in the tank, and watch the levels over a few days. youll have ammonia spikes and nitrate spikes and then when your water levels are 0 NitrItes and 0 NitrAtes, and 0 ammonia, then you are ready for fish.

make sense? it might not be 100% right, im gunna go get a guide off a different forum for you. and thats 100% right lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigballsofpaint View Post
i use to have a 120gal with a arrowana around 14inch, and a lungfish about the same length. I sold it a while ago and when i get an apartment or house ill get one again. But i cant have a small tank as its just boring to me now after those guys....ropefish was cool, as was the needlenose gar i had.
yea i really like big fish, but i really like how beautiful schooling fish look. esspecialy colorful ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I've thought about doing that, and maybe some day, especially if I finish the basement at some point...

I've seen some amazing huge tanks and would like to do that one day, but I don't know if I would do fresh water or salt... I have never done salt but am quite tempted.

I think this just became it. I'll rename the title slightly.

and right on simon! deffinatly finish the basment! lol i would love to see that happen lol and fresh water! idk wh but im impartial to salt lol

and what filtration do you use on your round tank??

Silver/Titanium G6r ~ Bring Luxes
Old 01-25-2011, 06:18 PM #47
Simon
INCEPTION

Annual Supporting Member
Simon is a Mega Moderator
Simon is a founding member
Simon works for a Paintball manufacturer
Simon is playing at Living Legends VII
Quote:
yea i really like big fish, but i really like how beautiful schooling fish look. esspecialy colorful ones
Me too. If/once my Arowana passes away I will be redoing the tank with all schooling fish.

When I was setting the tank up I had something like 50 neon tetras in it to get the water cycled. I loved watching them.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:26 PM #48
Straight sex Glory hole

Quote:
hell yea! lol

and at my house if virginia, we have 2 water jugs that are like 10 gallons each or something like that and we keep them filled with water at all times. not only will they be room temp when we do water changes, but we also put the de-chlorinator/chloramines water drops in the jugs too. so YES, the chemicals that you can buy from like petco would be fine.

but you have to make sure you let the tank cycle. you need to put the water in, then the right amount of de-chlorinator, and then let it run with the filters and heaters. THEN before the fish you plan on keeping for a long time, you need to help get BB or "beneficial bacteria" in your filter. And the only way to get the BB is to get the Nitrogen cycle going. and of course there are nitrItes, nitrAtes, and Ammonia. no what a lot of people do is just take a peice of dead shrip (or fish food,some use like a gold fish, and some dont) and put it in the tank, and watch the levels over a few days. youll have ammonia spikes and nitrate spikes and then when your water levels are 0 NitrItes and 0 NitrAtes, and 0 ammonia, then you are ready for fish.

make sense? it might not be 100% right, im gunna go get a guide off a different forum for you. and thats 100% right lol
Okay great thanks. So i've decided to get bigger fish, what are some good starter ones and how many should I get? (20 gal tank) I don't want to get a super exotic one and end up killing it because of something small I do wrong.
Old 01-25-2011, 06:43 PM #49
loki32687
Bankai

loki32687 is a Supporting Member
loki32687 helped look for balloons
loki32687 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
loki32687 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
As far as fish, I'm going to do a bunch of small fish rather than a couple large fish.... Pics are coming, I need new ones since I added more rock...

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback
Old 01-25-2011, 06:54 PM #50
Paintnoob13
**** Ohio

Paintnoob13 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The tank is around 5ft across, and around 2.5ft deep out from the wall.

I got the ray when she was about 3" across, and had her for around 6 years until she was about 18" across. Even nursed her back to life after she was floating on the surface after an attack from a Cichlid.

Not sure what the recommended size of tank is for Ray's but she was always very happy. She would follow you around the tank, come to the side when you wanted to see her, and catch feeder fish up against the glass in one of the most amazing demonstrations of stalking.

I loved watching her. The Arowana is more aggressive, but the ray was my favourite to watch. Loved the way she swam and glided around the tank.

If I ever got a different tank it would be for rays, but I wouldn't want one of those coffee table style ones where you only see them from above. Watching them from the side and against the glass was the most impressive view.
Well I'm 90% sure most people recommend a bigger tank than that for water quality reasons but 6 years and an 18" disc is awesome so you were definitely doin it right lol

I want to set my 55 up again so badly. Used to house some SA cichlids and catfish for a while. I can't decided whether to do Africans or a big community tank. Regardless of what I get I'm gonna try to get some fry going.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:06 PM #51
Up the snake
RC Revolution

Quote:
Okay great thanks. So i've decided to get bigger fish, what are some good starter ones and how many should I get? (20 gal tank) I don't want to get a super exotic one and end up killing it because of something small I do wrong.
uhhh well a 20 gallon isnt really big enough for BIGGER fish, you could probly do like 2 smaller angles. nothing much more then that. i really suggest schooling fish. they are beautiful man

and simon thats like $80 worth in tetra's! lol

Old 01-25-2011, 07:09 PM #52
loki32687
Bankai

The light isn't on in the pics. The rockwork looks MUCH better in person. You can't appreciate the depth in these pictures.

Tank specs:
120 gallon (4'x2'x2') DT
40 Breeder sump
2 x 150w MH for now
Vortech MP40
Vertex IN180 skimmer
Neptune APEX controller
Tunze Osmolator

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback

Last edited by loki32687 : 01-25-2011 at 07:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:11 PM #53
Straight sex Glory hole

Quote:
uhhh well a 20 gallon isnt really big enough for BIGGER fish, you could probly do like 2 smaller angles. nothing much more then that. i really suggest schooling fish. they are beautiful man

and simon thats like $80 worth in tetra's! lol
I didn't mean like BIGGER haha, just larger then schooling. Hmm. What are some decent schooling fish that are easy to take car of? I saw some really cool Neons at wally world. lol I agree they do look super good
Old 01-25-2011, 07:12 PM #54
loki32687
Bankai

Maybe I should take pics of the fish store I'm helping my friend open....

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM #55
moodydoody
C-17

moodydoody is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Cool, hmm, lets see, as of now I have a 125g SW with a magnificent Foxface which is going to be the growout tank for my white spot bamboo shark.

My wife has a 14g micro-reef with a black clown and a Picasso clown. Also a CUC and misc. corals that you would have to ask her about lol (She is a reef person and I like aggressive FOWLR tanks)

USAF
Texas A&M Alum
FEEDBACK
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 PM #56
loki32687
Bankai

I want a pair of ORA Grade A Picassos....

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback
Old 01-25-2011, 07:27 PM #57
tnn balla

tnn balla owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
tnn balla owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
tnn balla supports Team VICIOUS
Watsup guys...I have a 220 gallon tank with a 16 inch silver arowana, 13 inch florida gar, 20 inch rope fish, 13 inch poly del. and a 75 gallon tank with a 12 inch mala (common wolf fish). Ill be posting pics soon.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 PM #58
loki32687
Bankai

We should have 2 threads, one for saltwater/reefers and one for FW

Has a can of bacon

My Feedback
Old 01-25-2011, 10:38 PM #59
Up the snake
RC Revolution

why?!?!?! you wana separate the 2 worlds! lol

straight: dont buy fish from wally world, they dont take care of their fish at all and they most likely cary dissease. but i swear by neon schools. the are so awesome to watch swim.

on a weirder note, my friend just informed me that his crawfish is having babies.... lol he's sending me pics now lol

Old 01-25-2011, 10:54 PM #60
Straight sex Glory hole

Yeah keep the fish guys together.

Okay I wasn't really planning on getting them from there. Neons are really impressive. I could just watch them swim for ever.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:06 PM #61
x420psykoticx
Business Cat

Annual Supporting Member
x420psykoticx is a Supporting Member
x420psykoticx plays in the PSP
x420psykoticx owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
x420psykoticx is an NCPA player
x420psykoticx is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
x420psykoticx is Legendary
x420psykoticx is Boss
Still contemplating and drawing out a brackish tank I've been planning to do right..

Probably gonna be a 50 gal long tank with several figure 8 puffers, 8-10 bumblebee gobies, 2 dragon gobies... I want to get some borneo suckers in there I hear they don't get large and rather enjoy the brackish water.

Also planning to get a 2.5 for brine shrimp growing... and of course gotta populate the main tank with a ****-ton of ghost shrimp