Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM #904
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

It looks like the Abarth might have body roll, though, based on its shape.

Yeah, performance wise, S2000, Miata, BRZ/FRS are all great choices. However, if that's all you're looking for, Audi TT and BMW Z4 are both valid options as well. I drove a Track Genesis Coupe the other day and it was a blast to drive.

I say go find the nearest area that has tons of cars and just test drive a bunch of different cars. I did the other day and loved it.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM #905
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Abarth isn't going to be too fun. It's super fast and handles great, but only when compared to the other super-tiny European econoboxes. It doesn't compare to a more proper chassis.

Get an S2000, spend some money on intake/exhaust/coilovers and just drive the piss out of it.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:34 AM #906
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
Abarth isn't going to be too fun. It's super fast and handles great, but only when compared to the other super-tiny European econoboxes. It doesn't compare to a more proper chassis.

Get an S2000, spend some money on intake/exhaust/coilovers and just drive the piss out of it.
It's really not even that fast. Just small and agile. 0-60 is in the 7s.

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:36 AM #907
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
Quote:

This. 5x more comfy than a miata. You won't get the "he drives a girl car" (not that it matters anyway. Around me, you can get low mileage 05 S2ks for around 15k all day.
pballler2269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 AM #908
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
It's really not even that fast. Just small and agile. 0-60 is in the 7s.
That's what I'm saying. It's faster than the other tiny ecoboxes but it's not really fast. I'd imagine it's almost painfully slow on the highway.

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:54 AM #909
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Swap a Smart ForTwo.
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:21 PM #910
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. It's faster than the other tiny ecoboxes but it's not really fast. I'd imagine it's almost painfully slow on the highway.
It's not super fast, 0-60 is actually just around 7 flat I found. That's not bad though. But it has 170lb/ft at 3k RPM, which is actually a very fair amount of low-mid end torque for a car that small and light. Depending on the gearing, it might not be too bad actually.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM #911
Impose.Fate

Impose.Fate is BST Trusted
Impose.Fate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Impose.Fate has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Impose.Fate has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Impose.Fate is attending Decay of Nations VI
yeah a miata is a definate nono on my end but an s2000 is a possibility, ill be purchasing this week so ill make sure to leave pics of my choice
Old 07-11-2012, 09:54 AM #912
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Orvis09 supports our troops
Orvis09 plays in the APPA D5 division
Orvis09 is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
Orvis09 is Legendary
Orvis09 supports DLX Technology
I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. I have considered buying brand new as well. So here's my limiting stipulations:

$20k or less
Must be manual
Must have less than 100k on odometer
Must have reasonable insurance

So with that, I've really started going after TLs, TSXs, 3 Series, and IS250s. I would love to have any of those but I've yet to have one scream "This is my car."
Orvis09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:00 AM #913
lowbudgethero
Boomer

has been a member for 10 years
Saab 9-2x
lowbudgethero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:26 AM #914
I'm inebriated
Wood Grain Grippin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orvis09 View Post
I'm in the market for a new (to me) car. I have considered buying brand new as well. So here's my limiting stipulations:

$20k or less
Must be manual

So with that, I've really started going after TLs, TSXs, 3 Series, and IS250s. I would love to have any of those but I've yet to have one scream "This is my car."
g35
I'm inebriated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:06 PM #915
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

Quote:

$20k or less
Must be manual

With a $20K budget, G35, or you can get a real nice WRX, maybe even STI. If you have a set budget in mind and you're thinking about a luxury car (specifically non-Japanese), I'd aim to spend 4/5 your budget on the car itself because luxury cars (specifically the BMW if you are looking at a 3 series) also have luxury car maintenance costs (more expensive parts, specifically).

Also check out PT Cruisers, especially one with the fake wooden siding. That car is so ugly that someone might crash into you and you can collect insurance for your "neck injury" and buy a very very nice car.

Old 07-11-2012, 01:45 PM #916
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Saab 9-2x
Nah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm inebriated View Post
g35
I've looked into them.

Quote:
With a $20K budget, G35, or you can get a real nice WRX, maybe even STI. If you have a set budget in mind and you're thinking about a luxury car (specifically non-Japanese), I'd aim to spend 4/5 your budget on the car itself because luxury cars (specifically the BMW if you are looking at a 3 series) also have luxury car maintenance costs (more expensive parts, specifically).

Also check out PT Cruisers, especially one with the fake wooden siding. That car is so ugly that someone might crash into you and you can collect insurance for your "neck injury" and buy a very very nice car.
I've looked at WRXs and STis but I hate hatchbacks and the rally blue, which 90% of them seem to be. I'm pretty bent on getting a TL. Clean, peppy, good DD.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:24 PM #917
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
I'm pretty bent on getting a TL. Clean, peppy, good DD.
Why did you ask then? What's wrong with the german cars vs the TL? Personally I'd much rather have a 1 or 3 series over a TL. Why not just get a high trim accord v6?
Old 07-11-2012, 02:38 PM #918
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
Quote:
Why did you ask then? What's wrong with the german cars vs the TL? Personally I'd much rather have a 1 or 3 series over a TL. Why not just get a high trim accord v6?
I was asking if there were better options. I've looked at the 1 Series, not a fan. Very odd looking. 3 Series is a definite possibility, and I've looked at Accords. Just can't make up my mind.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:42 PM #919
lowbudgethero
Boomer

Quote:
I was asking if there were better options. I've looked at the 1 Series, not a fan. Very odd looking. 3 Series is a definite possibility, and I've looked at Accords. Just can't make up my mind.
To me you're paying more money for the TL and not getting the same amount back that you're getting in a nice accord. I've always like the looks of the accord coupes and 3 series coupes. 3 series will bet a bit stiffer overall in the ride along with plus premium maintenance, but it's a lot of fun.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:50 PM #920
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
Quote:
To me you're paying more money for the TL and not getting the same amount back that you're getting in a nice accord. I've always like the looks of the accord coupes and 3 series coupes. 3 series will bet a bit stiffer overall in the ride along with plus premium maintenance, but it's a lot of fun.
I'm not really looking for a coupe. I'd take one if I found a killer deal, but I'm looking at sedans mainly.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:18 PM #921
spinny2559
just missed 2k4

Quote:
I've looked at WRXs and STis but I hate hatchbacks and the rally blue, which 90% of them seem to be. I'm pretty bent on getting a TL. Clean, peppy, good DD.
]
Honestly, I'd try to stray from the TL simply because it is a front wheel drive car. It is definitely nice on the inside, but for around $20K you can do a lot better.
If you're OK with front wheel drive cars, you should possibly look into a GTI or turbo Jetta (GLI or older Turbo).
I'd suggest looking at a rear wheel drive car or AWD. If you can find a WRX for under 20K and it is the newer body style WRX and not a hatch-back or in blue, that might something to jump on. OR, check out the Lancer Ralliart, an AWD turbo-charged car that is fun to drive. I found one (2009 model) locally with under 50K miles for like $18K.
Maybe also consider a Legacy GT (2007-2009). AWD, turbo, and a $500 software flash can get that thing flying (flying more so than it does already).

I guess all I'm saying is that for $20K you really do have a lot of options. You're probably a younger adult if you're asking this here, which means you belong behind the wheel of a car that will treat you well. For me that is a compromise of fun and stylish, and with the TL you are getting mostly style, and some fun. It's definitely a nice car, but far from a drivers' car.

Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 PM #922
Orvis09
I haz brown trout

Annual Supporting Member
Orvis09 is Legendary
Quote:
]
Honestly, I'd try to stray from the TL simply because it is a front wheel drive car. It is definitely nice on the inside, but for around $20K you can do a lot better.
If you're OK with front wheel drive cars, you should possibly look into a GTI or turbo Jetta (GLI or older Turbo).
I'd suggest looking at a rear wheel drive car or AWD. If you can find a WRX for under 20K and it is the newer body style WRX and not a hatch-back or in blue, that might something to jump on. OR, check out the Lancer Ralliart, an AWD turbo-charged car that is fun to drive. I found one (2009 model) locally with under 50K miles for like $18K.
Maybe also consider a Legacy GT (2007-2009). AWD, turbo, and a $500 software flash can get that thing flying (flying more so than it does already).

I guess all I'm saying is that for $20K you really do have a lot of options. You're probably a younger adult if you're asking this here, which means you belong behind the wheel of a car that will treat you well. For me that is a compromise of fun and stylish, and with the TL you are getting mostly style, and some fun. It's definitely a nice car, but far from a drivers' car.
FWD doesn't bother me. Again, not looking for hatches and I would never buy a VW within the price range I'm looking especially if a much nicer car is a grand or two more. It seems like you're recommending sportier cars and that's not what I'm looking for.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:04 PM #923
AABanned

AABanned is playing at Living Legends VI
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
AABanned owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
AABanned supports Pev's Paintball
AABanned has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Looking at cars around $10k.

Right now I've got it narrowed down to:
RSX-S
350z
RX-8
330(x)(c)i
WRX

I'm thinking the only way to choose between those will to be actually drive them.
AABanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM #924
pballler2269

pballler2269 helped look for balloons
Quote:
Originally Posted by AABanned View Post
Looking at cars around $10k.

Right now I've got it narrowed down to:
RSX-S
350z
RX-8
330(x)(c)i
WRX

I'm thinking the only way to choose between those will to be actually drive them.
RSX-S or WRX
pballler2269 is offline   Reply With Quote