Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM #841
Alan777
Tree Fitty
 
Alan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
I hope GT3071 is a typo. If it isn't, I would put at least some doubt into the rest of the build.
Why do you say that? IIRC that was a pretty popular turbo for 1.8T's
__________________
Premier Detailing LLC
Instagram: @premierdetailingllc
1991 Corvette
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:42 PM #842
carcrazycorey
Meow
 
carcrazycorey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Gainesville, FL
carcrazycorey helped look for balloons
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
carcrazycorey has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
If you look at the listing it seems to be built pretty well, then again, I'm not a pro when it comes to a build like that.
carcrazycorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:43 PM #843
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan777 View Post
Why do you say that? IIRC that was a pretty popular turbo for 1.8T's
3071r is better, and most people run 2871r or 3071r, I believe.

No R at the end = journal bearing. If they went cheap on the most important component of all the things they modified...

Edit: I'm pretty sure that's how garrett's naming works. Not 100% positive though.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:44 PM #844
Alan777
Tree Fitty
 
Alan777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
it's a BT car for 9k, can't expect everything to be the best.
__________________
Premier Detailing LLC
Instagram: @premierdetailingllc
1991 Corvette
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 PM #845
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
That's my point. I wouldn't trust a cheaply modded car making more than double stock power.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 02:50 PM #846
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
I was worried more about the drivetrain and all the other problems that come with aging audis. If you're up for it, I think it would be a pretty sweet sleeper.
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:32 PM #847
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!
 
IBleed Arbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Audis can be great cars if they have been regularly maintained and serviced.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM #848
Impose.Fate
 
 
Impose.Fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Impose.Fate is BST Trusted
Impose.Fate owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
Impose.Fate has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Impose.Fate has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Impose.Fate is attending Decay of Nations VI
hey all, i was looking to buy a subaru brz or a scion frs , both same price range and both designed by toyota, does anyone have any scoops on which is the better buy
Impose.Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 PM #849
SCM killa
 
 
SCM killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
SCM killa supports our troops
SCM killa is reppin' sidebar 4 life
SCM killa has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SCM killa has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Alrighty heres the situation.

My "dream car" is a 2g dsm (save your *****ing, I don't wanna hear it)

Basically if I got one of those for under $10k, I would build it. I've wanted to since I was 12.

But, I could also spend something like $20K, and I'm currently looking at either an s2000 or an e46 m3 (which would probably take some finagling). The "problem" is, I wouldn't really want to touch those, just keep them stock.

What say you, ST:A? Built DSM, or stock s2k/e46? I'm also open to other suggestions in my price range. Used, obviously.
SCM killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:59 PM #850
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
As a DD, S2k.

As a weekend car, e46. I wouldn't even consider a built DSM. You're going to wait a year to get your engine built and running decent, then it's gonna be broken again in a month. Don't bother unless you want a car that you barely ever get to enjoy.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 PM #851
Slayinpoon
2k6
 
Slayinpoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
You're worlds apart in selection. If you're spending that kind of money, get a reliable/newer car for sure.

I'm not a fan of s2k's, but i'd drive one before that e46. Finagle a 300c or srt8 jeep lol
__________________
Lifted WJ

East Carolina University
Slayinpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:41 AM #852
SCM killa
 
 
SCM killa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Virginia
SCM killa supports our troops
SCM killa is reppin' sidebar 4 life
SCM killa has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
SCM killa has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra_MKIII View Post
As a DD, S2k.

As a weekend car, e46. I wouldn't even consider a built DSM. You're going to wait a year to get your engine built and running decent, then it's gonna be broken again in a month. Don't bother unless you want a car that you barely ever get to enjoy.
Can you give me an example of something that will go wrong wwith the DSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayinpoon View Post
You're worlds apart in selection. If you're spending that kind of money, get a reliable/newer car for sure.

I'm not a fan of s2k's, but i'd drive one before that e46. Finagle a 300c or srt8 jeep lol
I just threw up a little.
SCM killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:49 AM #853
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
e46, is the better all around car to live with, just learn how to do the valve adjustments yourself
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:27 PM #854
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impose.Fate View Post
hey all, i was looking to buy a subaru brz or a scion frs , both same price range and both designed by toyota, does anyone have any scoops on which is the better buy
They are both a joint Subaru/Toyota design, I'd actually venture as far as saying that Subaru had more influence. Both are phenomenal cars, not the fastest when it comes to straight line speed, but EXCELLENT handling. The low, flat Subaru Boxer engine is actually placed so low and is so well balanced that the center of gravity is lower and better balanced than some Ferrari models. (acclaimed by Subaru I believe).

As far as which to get, you really do need to drive them both. The Scion will be slightly more bare bones than the Subaru, less creature comforts, less frills. But the big difference between the two comes in how they are tuned. I think the Subaru will be a slightly stiffer ride, more responsive, and I think more of a drivers car. The Scion will be slightly mushier on turns, still VERY fun to drive, but just not what the Subaru will offer.

Again, you gotta try them both out, they will be different and its all a matter of what you want in a car.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:29 PM #855
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
They are both a joint Subaru/Toyota design, I'd actually venture as far as saying that Subaru had more influence. Both are phenomenal cars, not the fastest when it comes to straight line speed, but EXCELLENT handling. The low, flat Subaru Boxer engine is actually placed so low and is so well balanced that the center of gravity is lower and better balanced than some Ferrari models. (acclaimed by Subaru I believe).

As far as which to get, you really do need to drive them both. The Scion will be slightly more bare bones than the Subaru, less creature comforts, less frills. But the big difference between the two comes in how they are tuned. I think the Subaru will be a slightly stiffer ride, more responsive, and I think more of a drivers car. The Scion will be slightly mushier on turns, still VERY fun to drive, but just not what the Subaru will offer.

Again, you gotta try them both out, they will be different and its all a matter of what you want in a car.
Scion is probably the better buy if you want a simple driver car, extra money for better tires and whatnot.
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:36 PM #856
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
Scion is probably the better buy if you want a simple driver car, extra money for better tires and whatnot.
Scion is definitely the better bet for a simple car. But as far as a drivers' car, I'd say the Subaru, to be honest. And the base prices are only about $500 apart (Subaru is $500 more). And for a driving experience that will last the lifetime of a car, $500 should make zero difference.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:47 PM #857
Supra_MKIII
Check your math.
 
Supra_MKIII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Not what you think
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCM killa View Post
Can you give me an example of something that will go wrong wwith the DSM?
It's a 15+ year old mitsubishi. Even stock, it would be unreliable. Start adding boost and every part of your drivetrain will fail. You'll go through transmissions/transfer cases if you launch it all the time, etc. If it's got a VCU, that will be toast in a few launches...

If I had that amount of money, I'd get a newer BMW 335i. A couple of relatively cheap mods can add almost 100hp.
__________________
ST:Tech- We write Haikus. Also, THE PLAGUE

2001 Viggen // Stage 1 Oil Injection // Stage 3 Exhaust Leak // Wet Clutch Mod
Supra_MKIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:03 PM #858
DrobertsPB
You rebel scum
 
DrobertsPB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cin-Dayton


DrobertsPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:16 PM #859
lowbudgethero
Boomer
 
lowbudgethero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: 908/570
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinny2559 View Post
Scion is definitely the better bet for a simple car. But as far as a drivers' car, I'd say the Subaru, to be honest. And the base prices are only about $500 apart (Subaru is $500 more). And for a driving experience that will last the lifetime of a car, $500 should make zero difference.
It seems like when i was looking at them the avg sticker price of the subaru was 28K while the avg sticker price of the scion was 26K. Both are more than i want to pay for a 200hp car with cheap tires.
lowbudgethero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:29 PM #860
spinny2559
just missed 2k4
 
spinny2559's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
spinny2559 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowbudgethero View Post
It seems like when i was looking at them the avg sticker price of the subaru was 28K while the avg sticker price of the scion was 26K. Both are more than i want to pay for a 200hp car with cheap tires.
Cheap tires should have nothing to do with the choice, excellent high performance tires are available at just over $100/piece. But the 200hp isn't what you should be looking at. The car is probably one of the best handling cars you can get for under $30K. Straight line distance it can be beat by many, but it is truly a sports car from the ground up. Incredible low center of gravity, again, lower than the Ferrari 458 Italia actually, and it is a curvy road beast. In a race around the track (not simultaneously) with a Mustang with the sports package (don't recall which one, but putting down 300+ HP), the BRZ came in at around 1:31, compared to the Mustang's 1:30 I believe. As far as handling, body roll and motion is incredibly low, and next to maybe the Honda S2000 and Mazda Miata, this thing is probably the best handling car under $35K you can get from a showroom. (I know I said 30K before, but I'm upping that).

Don't underestimate this car, it is a tiny beast.
__________________

98 Custom Low Pressure Kit parts available, contact me!

TONS of solenoids and solenoid parts F/S/T!!

spinny2559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:36 PM #861
IBleed Arbor
vtec just kicked in, yo!
 
IBleed Arbor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Connecticut
IBleed Arbor plays in the PSP
IBleed Arbor owns a Planet Eclipse CSL
IBleed Arbor is reppin' sidebar 4 life
IBleed Arbor is Boss
IBleed Arbor supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impose.Fate
hey all, i was looking to buy a subaru brz or a scion frs , both same price range and both designed by toyota, does anyone have any scoops on which is the better buy
Brz, because Subaru.
IBleed Arbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump