Find fields & stores near you!
Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 05:27 PM #1
cojo95
520
 
cojo95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth
Annual Supporting Member
cojo95 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cojo95 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cojo95 supports DLX Technology
What direction do I need to head in? [Diet + Workout]

Sup PbN.

I'll give you some background info, I'm 6' 2" 262lbs, and want to cut a lot in the off season. (I'm 17 and a senior in high school for reference.)

I lift 3 times a week, run the other 3 days, and well... play paintball on Sunday. I've been given the "watch your diet and do cardio to lose weight" speech a plethora of times, well that hasn't really worked for me. I wouldn't say I have an eating disorder, but I lack self control in the ultimate sense of the word. I eat subconciously (not literally in my sleep or anything, I don't think about what I'm eating though) and have issues with portion control. You know the saying "I can't tell the difference between hunger and boredom", yeah, that applies to me.

I've done a good job of giving up soda the past few weeks, but am still eating crap. (It sure as s*** didn't help that Thursday was Thanksgiving). And need some help with my next step.

I have a personal trainer (two times a week) and I'm going to speak with him tomorrow, but so far I've come up with two options.

The first being a Meal Replacement Plan (MRP): This MRP wouldn't be a strict liquid diet for all three meals, but would replace one of my meals. The reason I'm turning to this is that I have to have a strict regiment in order to lose weight, otherwise I'll mindlessly eat.

The second being an EC stack, with an attempt at good dieting and the same workout regiment. I've had hesitations about this plan, as taking bronchitis medication seems a little sketch haha, but if someone could weigh in on this with some experience, I'd appreciate it.

If anyone has any suggestions, that'd be great.

Edit: Also, on a weird note, is it better to stick to weight lifting to speed up my metabolism and increase cardiovascular health? I've heard that lifting burns just as many calories compared to running.

__________________
Houston Heat
LUXE MOB

Last edited by cojo95 : 11-25-2012 at 06:07 PM.
cojo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM #2
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
make whey shakes, grilled chicken breast, lean meat, salmon/shrimp/tilipia/tuna(fish), oats, low sugar cereal, milk, and peanuts/almonds your best friend and you will have success

i dont have the time to write up a full, detailed, nutrition guide, and frankly, you would probably look at it once, maybe twice, then never look at it again so why bother anyway.

you need to learn portion control, its one of the first things i had to learn as a fatty trying to cut weight and i still use it to my advantage to this day.

just as a kind of background reference the heaviest i saw on the scale was 279lbs @ age 16-17, lowest i saw on the scale was 183lbs @ age 18-19.
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:12 PM #3
p8ntballkid0892
 
 
p8ntballkid0892's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: jacksonville,FL
p8ntballkid0892 plays in the PSP
p8ntballkid0892 supports Team VICIOUS
p8ntballkid0892 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
p8ntballkid0892 has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
make whey shakes, grilled chicken breast, lean meat, salmon/shrimp/tilipia/tuna(fish), oats, low sugar cereal, milk, and peanuts/almonds your best friend and you will have success

i dont have the time to write up a full, detailed, nutrition guide, and frankly, you would probably look at it once, maybe twice, then never look at it again so why bother anyway.

you need to learn portion control, its one of the first things i had to learn as a fatty trying to cut weight and i still use it to my advantage to this day.

just as a kind of background reference the heaviest i saw on the scale was 279lbs @ age 16-17, lowest i saw on the scale was 183lbs @ age 18-19.
pretty much this. the only things i might add is to also include a good amount of vegetables such as broccoli, carrots etc... and maybe some good oils and fats such as almonds which he already mentioned and maybe some avocados.
p8ntballkid0892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM #4
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah
 
black_angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo95 View Post
I lack self control
See this people? This is called being honest with yourself. Do this more.
__________________
Iowa Hawkeyes
Miami Hurricanes
Washington Redskins
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:02 PM #5
Pump Revolution
It is what it is
 
Pump Revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Your not going to get anywhere without the willpower to control your diet.


Start counting cals and plan out your meals.

Weightlifting doesn't really do anything for cadiovascular health. If you wanted you could eaisly lose weight without cardio, but it does help.

Cardio for weightloss is pretty useless for people who don't track what they eat. People have a tendency to eat more food after doing cardio if their not paying attention, negating the cals burned during cardio.
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: Is anything really TMI in ST:F at this point?"


"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"

Last edited by Pump Revolution : 11-25-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM #6
CobraXX
Klasic
 
CobraXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
^^expanding on that last point to make sure you understand it, say you run for a bit and burn 400 calories, it will most likely make you even more hungry and you'll most likely consume more than that if you're not tracking your cals so in the end, you took in more than what you would have if you hadn't done any cardio.

Anyways, track your cals the best you can. It is practically the only way you will lose/gain weight.
__________________
"Basically just take control of your life man and transcend your environment. Realize there is no need to be bored when there is nearly an infinite amount of mysteries yet to be discovered in our universe. Even closer to infinite is the things you have yet to learn in life, that you could be learning everyday. Don't take any second of your life for granted man."
CobraXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:07 AM #7
ZeR0 EVOlution
.2Ω dual coil, son
 
ZeR0 EVOlution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Los Angeles
ZeR0 EVOlution is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
ZeR0 EVOlution is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Before I begin, I'd like to just note that subconscious isn't actually a word unfortunately, and unconscious is the correct term in this case.

As a former fatty, these are some tips that help me control my eating:

If you dabble in herbal recreation (considering your age and such), I'd recommend cutting that down. I had to stop to be able to control my appetite, and things got a lot easier from there. If not, you're already one step ahead of the game. Alcohol is no different as drunk munchies will ruin your nutrition plan.

If you haven't tried it already, intermittent fasting is a great program which essentially pigeonholes you into having to control your diet by providing you a tiny eating window rather than allowing you to nom all day. If you haven't tried it yet, I'd suggest giving it a shot. Do a small eating window, say from 6-10 o'clock. That's a 20/4 protocol, so it gives you a 4 hour window to eat. If that's not enough time, try eating only from 2-10. That's a more common 16/8 protocol that people tend to work well around (I'm on it right now). IF in your case will help you cut, and will also force you to limit the amount you eat. You can also consider using an app like My Fitness Pal to log your calories which in turn helps you keep yourself accountable with what you eat. That way you know how much you're eating and will be able to stop yourself because you will visually know how much you're actually eating.
__________________
ST:M EDM above&beyondTATW350
46/0/0

C'est une grande habileté que de savoir cacher son habilité.
ZeR0 EVOlution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:44 PM #8
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
1. i dont feel like LG is a good program to follow as it forces you to not eat for 8-10 hours of your day and he has already stated he does not have self control.

2. i have smoked, habitually, for the last 5-6 years, and i lost round 80lbs total WHILE still smoking erryday. it can be done, but of course, everyone is different.

3. i doubt this guy has even came back once to read our responses
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:36 PM #9
cojo95
520
 
cojo95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Fort Worth
Annual Supporting Member
cojo95 has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
cojo95 has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
cojo95 supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
1. i dont feel like LG is a good program to follow as it forces you to not eat for 8-10 hours of your day and he has already stated he does not have self control.

2. i have smoked, habitually, for the last 5-6 years, and i lost round 80lbs total WHILE still smoking erryday. it can be done, but of course, everyone is different.

3. i doubt this guy has even came back once to read our responses
I've read all of them, several times over. Correction, I had not weighed myself prior to posting this, I was 252 lbs on Sunday at 5 pm, and am now 248.5 lbs as of 5 pm. I run two miles a day in addition to my lifting days, and eat anywhere from 1500-1700 calories a day and am tracking them. I feel a lot better physically and mentally overall. And in regards to the previous post, I gave up 'dabbling in herbal recreation' due to extenuating circumstances.
__________________
Houston Heat
LUXE MOB
cojo95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:36 AM #10
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojo95 View Post
I've read all of them, several times over. Correction, I had not weighed myself prior to posting this, I was 252 lbs on Sunday at 5 pm, and am now 248.5 lbs as of 5 pm. I run two miles a day in addition to my lifting days, and eat anywhere from 1500-1700 calories a day and am tracking them. I feel a lot better physically and mentally overall. And in regards to the previous post, I gave up 'dabbling in herbal recreation' due to extenuating circumstances.
i am honestly glad to hear that.

your cals are VERY low for a person your size, you should be eating closer to 2000 cals AT LEAST. and cut that 2 miles down to 1 mile, less cardio = less food you will have to eat, not to mention running can be very dangerous at a heavy weight

eating more to lose weight sounds dumb but its something you have to come to terms with, it will make more sense down the road as you continue to learn about diet and exercise

eating 2000 cals may slow down your weight loss, but in no way will it stop it, bumping your cal intake to 2000 will allow your body to lose weight the HEALTHY way, meaning it will be much harder for you to gain that weight back. a lot of peoples problem is they do a crash diet, lose 20lbs, then go back to there original way of eating, and probably end up gaining that 20lbs back plus maybe more!!

consistency is key. you wont change overnight, you have to do this day in, and day out. think of it as a marathon, not a sprint
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:15 AM #11
ijinxd
 
 
ijinxd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
ijinxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ijinxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd supports DLX Technology
Looks like you're getting there.
Watch what you eat, what you put in determines what you will be capable of putting out.
When you feel ready, tackle Insanity. Don't worry about following along, do what you can, the best you can, and you will see results.
ijinxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:09 AM #12
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk
 
AuxiliaryPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE Ohio
thanks for the posts guys, i just got a new roommate who is super in to his fitness and hes kind of inspiring me to work out more, but i have the same problem as the OP..no self control when it comes to food, i also drink beer too much.

keep the suggestions coming if you have any more, OP isnt the only one appreciating it
__________________
J.F.G.I.- Just ****ing Google It
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM #13
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
if you are the person that HAS to drink, do shots, and shots only. dont chase with a fruity-sugar filled drink either cause that defeats the purpose, and makes you look like a woman anyway

chase with water if you really HAVE to
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM #14
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk
 
AuxiliaryPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Im 5'9 195, almost 21 (i can run a 7min mile and do ~5 pull ups..for frame of reference) i find myself going to the gym 3-4 times a week, every week and i eat relatively healthy at home (i avoid freezer/microwave food..moved on to 91% lean burgers, chicken breasts, turkey sandwiches, salads, etc). I never really drink pop (maybe like 4 a MONTH, tops) and always drink water/tea/coffee

my main problem is i live with 5 other dudes (college house) who are all bad influences fitness/diet-wise. They always wanna do herbals/drink go to taco bell or go out for wings or something and its hard to say no cuz i love that stuff too. Just gotta move away from it.

Thursday night thru Saturday night ill probably drink 20+ beers total, and either smash fast food or chips or some other ****.. its embarrassing to type that out, honestly and hopefully putting that out in the open helps me move away from that stuff.

edit- sorry for sort of hijacking..i figure the regulars wouldnt want to repost the same **** in another thread about self control, etc
__________________
J.F.G.I.- Just ****ing Google It

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 12-04-2012 at 12:17 PM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 PM #15
black_angus
hooah hooah hooah hooah
 
black_angus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Great State of Iowa
Vodka + diet coke/pepsi/whatever.
__________________
Iowa Hawkeyes
Miami Hurricanes
Washington Redskins
Hate the Cowboys? Show it here.
black_angus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:23 PM #16
Pump Revolution
It is what it is
 
Pump Revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
If I'm planning to drink I usually won't eat much during the day, which will help offset the additional calories at night and get me drunk faster. I'm not one who counts drinks, the less beers it takes to get me drunk, the less trips I have to make to the bathroom. Drinking after not eating also saves me money on beer, reduces hangovers, and lowers overall calories.
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: Is anything really TMI in ST:F at this point?"


"Originally posted by Lurker27: inb4 pelt says you're still fat"
Pump Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:34 PM #17
ijinxd
 
 
ijinxd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: California
ijinxd owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
ijinxd has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
ijinxd supports DLX Technology
Here's a little tip for everyone (with some psychology behind it). Doing something for 21 consecutive days will make it a habit.
Try eating healthy for 21 days straight, and going to the gym on a 3,4, or 5 day split (or 6 if you prefer).

The 21 day idea in my experience works for two reasons;
1. It gives you a short term set-goal.
2. You eventually forget that what your doing is "necessary" and you will slowly start doing it, out of habit.

You know you are doing things right when you start hitting the gym because you WANT to; not because you feel like you have to. Getting annoyed because you missed a workout is another good sign.
It's a good feeling..trust me.
Hopefully that motivates you guys, and gals, a bit.
ijinxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:46 PM #18
FHS JewFro
black AND white
 
FHS JewFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: never move to, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuxiliaryPie View Post
Im 5'9 195, almost 21 (i can run a 7min mile and do ~5 pull ups..for frame of reference) i find myself going to the gym 3-4 times a week, every week and i eat relatively healthy at home (i avoid freezer/microwave food..moved on to 91% lean burgers, chicken breasts, turkey sandwiches, salads, etc). I never really drink pop (maybe like 4 a MONTH, tops) and always drink water/tea/coffee

my main problem is i live with 5 other dudes (college house) who are all bad influences fitness/diet-wise. They always wanna do herbals/drink go to taco bell or go out for wings or something and its hard to say no cuz i love that stuff too. Just gotta move away from it.

Thursday night thru Saturday night ill probably drink 20+ beers total, and either smash fast food or chips or some other ****.. its embarrassing to type that out, honestly and hopefully putting that out in the open helps me move away from that stuff.

edit- sorry for sort of hijacking..i figure the regulars wouldnt want to repost the same **** in another thread about self control, etc
you arent prepping for a bodybuilding show, theres no need to eat 100% clean. enjoy yourself a bit, the key is moderation. lets say the boys will want to go out 3-4 times a week for food/partying/whatever. well make it a goal to only go twice a week, think of it not as a cheat DAY, but a cheat MEAL when you do go out. dont go balls to the wall eating 50+ wings, but enjoy yourself a little bit.

and as pump said if you are well aware that you will be drinking and/or eating **** food the coming night, just eat a decent amount less during the day so that you wont go crazy over on cals. going over your cal limit by 300-400 is A LOT better than going over by 1500-2000, know what i mean?
__________________
"Originally posted by ']TSS[ Dake: You guys are ridiculous, haha. Thanks though, just tryna look like a shaved ape. And the half foot of height Lurk has in me will always make my physique less impressive :tup:"

"Originally posted by WorldStrike: Drop the ego. The weights on the bar will lie to you, the mirror never will."
FHS JewFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:48 PM #19
AuxiliaryPie
iLurk
 
AuxiliaryPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NE Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FHS JewFro View Post
you arent prepping for a bodybuilding show, theres no need to eat 100% clean. enjoy yourself a bit, the key is moderation. lets say the boys will want to go out 3-4 times a week for food/partying/whatever. well make it a goal to only go twice a week, think of it not as a cheat DAY, but a cheat MEAL when you do go out. dont go balls to the wall eating 50+ wings, but enjoy yourself a little bit.

and as pump said if you are well aware that you will be drinking and/or eating **** food the coming night, just eat a decent amount less during the day so that you wont go crazy over on cals. going over your cal limit by 300-400 is A LOT better than going over by 1500-2000, know what i mean?
i know exactly what you mean

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijinxd View Post
You know you are doing things right when you start hitting the gym because you WANT to; not because you feel like you have to. Getting annoyed because you missed a workout is another good sign.
It's a good feeling..trust me.
Hopefully that motivates you guys, and gals, a bit.
I definitely work out because i WANT to, ill give your 21 day idea a shot with getting rid of excessive beer/tbell..i find myslef doing that stuff out of habit and not desire
__________________
J.F.G.I.- Just ****ing Google It

Last edited by AuxiliaryPie : 12-04-2012 at 12:51 PM.
AuxiliaryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:07 PM #20
Jframe
Mary Wanna?
 
Jframe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Charleston, WV
Annual Supporting Member
Jframe has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I can relate to the OP in I put on a ton of weight at one point in my life (315lbs at 6'). I would smoke with my gf, watch family guy, and eat till I passed out. I had a problem with munching on **** all day long at work too. What helped me was:

1) Having a diet buddy. They can encourage you when you are wanting to slack off and vice versa. If you would like to chat back and forth via PM for encouragement I will help you.

2) Tracking absolutely everything I eat, if you don't you are guaranteed to eat way more calories than you should.

3) I started an eating regiment called "Intermittent Fasting". There is a lot of controversy over this style of eating as some people claim you are starving yourself and say it's **** but I have found no scientific evidence that can prove that this is bad for me and I have seen great results with it. I no longer munch on food all day, my water intake is where it should be, I don't feel sluggish during the day and have more energy, require less sleep (I used to be a cranky **** unless I had at least 9hrs of sleep) now I'm good to go on 5 or 6hrs, and I've noticed an increase in my sex life. **** gets harder and stays harder for longer.

Doing this with lifting 4 days a week I have now lost 115 lbs. Going to make a before/after thread when I reach 185lbs.

If you need any help just drop me a line.
Jframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:08 PM #21
tanner202
 
 
tanner202's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
LeanGains drinking Protocol for anyone interested. When I go out, I tend to drink hard liquor (just dont mix with sugary ****). I stick to diet tonic water or sugar free red bull.

Buy a 15$ scale from Walmart, weigh your food, and use an app (I use MyFitnessPal) to track what you eat and you will be incredibly surprised at the results you see if you are consistent
__________________
"If you are reading this, thank a teacher.
If you are reading this in English, thank a soldier."

"Originally posted by pillowpants: i dont know how to decipher this chart, then again, i do go to a community college."
"Originally posted by Mr.AmaZiN: did you just use an apostrophe for want?"
"Originally posted by pb123456789: Or call her a **** and proceed to textrape her."
"Originally posted by dualimpact: They haven't walked in on me but they know, I'm a screamer."
tanner202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
Forum Jump