Old 05-02-2011, 01:32 PM #127
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
You can always order frozen/thawed from Rodent Pro or Big Cheese

That way you always have feeders handy without having to drive out and get them, and you don't end up with this happening to your pet

ViperScenarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:48 PM #128
Kid named puoS (Banned)
TooBlaked

Kid named puoS supports Team VICIOUS
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've tried frozen he just wont take them. I have a ball python and I'm sure you know that they can be pretty finicky eaters as it is.
Kid named puoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM #129
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Had em. Bred em. Fed em f/t. It just takes a little patience. Part of it is warming them to the right temp, as well as sometimes using pre killed as a transition.

You also virtually eliminate the danger of intestinal parasites by feeding frozen. Otherwise a parasite in the rodent becomes a parasite in your snake.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:14 PM #130
Jb 32

Jb 32 is playing at Living Legends III
Jb 32 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
I've been thinking of maybe getting another snake and I'm looking at red tail boa's mainly(probably going to get a male since those are normally smaller than females). I've been reading up on them here and there and there are still a few questions I have about them.

What what be an ideal feeding schedule for them?
What size tank? I've heard 100gal is fine for a fully grown adult and then I've heard that it is way too small.

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Jb

Last edited by Jb 32 : 05-07-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Jb 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:21 PM #131
skyline_898
i love to smoke meth

skyline_898 helped look for balloons
skyline_898 is playing at Living Legends V
skyline_898 is for the Gunfight
RTBs enclosures should be the same size they are long and half as wide as a minimum, so a male should probably be kept in something that is at least 4'x8'

As for feeding, there are plenty of care sheets floating around, I'm not familiar with that.

‎"If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room"
skyline_898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:33 PM #132
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jb 32 View Post
I've been thinking of maybe getting another snake and I'm looking at red tail boa's mainly(probably going to get a male since those are normally smaller than females). I've been reading up on them here and there and there are still a few questions I have about them.

What what be an ideal feeding schedule for them?
What size tank? I've heard 100gal is fine for a fully grown adult and then I've heard that it is way too small.

Any feedback is appreciated.

-Jb
I've seen plenty adults kept in 4x2s and 6x3s without any hassle at all. Generally rule of thumb is floor space square footage equal to length of snake. 8 foot snake = 4x2, 18 foot snake = 6x3.
As for feeding, every 5-7 days, less as an adult. I'd feed large meals every 12-14 days for an adult RTB.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:41 PM #133
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

Just a side note on feeding; It is better to give a larger constrictor one large meal than multiple small meals.

By nature cold-blooded animals are fuel-mizers. Mammals burn more calories just maintaining our core temperatures than anything else we do. Reptiles do not, so they save all of those calories and use them for feeding muscles and body maintenance and growth.

We also burn calories constantly processing food to get calories. Conversely a snake's digestive system virtually shuts down between meals. Once the prey item is digested the stomach essentially dries up until the next meal. That means that every time it eats it must do an almost total restart in order to digest the meal. It is a waste of calories for a large constrictor to do this every week which is why, in the wild, they try to go for large prey items, and they go a long time between meals. Their biology is why there are large constrictors on record that have gone a year without eating. Of course, these were large enough to eat goats.

Some people "power feed" which means feeding as much as the animal will take as often as it will take it in an effort to get a large constrictor as quickly as possible. This is abnormal and can result in an unhealthy animal with a shorter lifespan. It's really not a good practice.

I learned long ago that, if you become "in tune" with your snakes' behaviors you can usually tell when they are ready, and looking, for a meal. Cobras display the most noticeable hunting behavior in my opinion, but I have found that it's pretty easy to recognize in most snakes. I go by that when I can.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:44 AM #134
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
Getting heavy into pit breeding. Probably my favorite colubrids by far... Between my northern pine female, and my snow male bull... I also added
A normal female:

She should produce some nice double het albino/whitesided babies from the snow this year.

Next up, 100% het hypo.. Was told it's a girl, however got home and started looking to find out... 99% sure it's a boy, popping in the morning to make sure, thankfully the seller is going to work it out somehow.

Pretty snake anyway, hopefully he just tosses me a nice normal female or some simple het female to make up the difference and I get to keep this guy, as he's pretty and I might keep him around for future projects..

Last up, the hypo male who came with the above female.. Very very pretty snake, not as awesome as my snow, but tons of fun. Hopefully I should be picking up a couple more girls soon, so I can get some 100% het hypo babies.

My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 10:04 AM #135
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

The pattern on the above is beautiful man. Nice snake.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

XBL GT: KimJung Is BOSS
paintball_KIA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:27 PM #136
playxball

playxball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
playxball is for the Gunfight
Brian Barczyk of BHB Reptiles will be at CRU Paintball on June 4th during the USPA event! He will have some of his coolest reptiles to show off!

Planet Eclipse/Valken/DXS/KEE/DYE/MacDev/MAPL/OXCC/PPSC/R an M/Legacy Paintball/CRU

playxball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:59 AM #137
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Figured I'd bump this up with a new update on the bp. This was shortly after the shed. Next up is a hog island boa that'll be coming in the next month.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

Old 07-25-2011, 06:31 PM #138
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Say hello to the newest addition to my family

Old 07-31-2011, 09:51 PM #139
Jb 32

Jb 32 is playing at Living Legends III
Jb 32 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
^ beautiful snake
Jb 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:09 AM #140
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Added another to the collection today at the reptile show. Male hypo hog. Roughly 2 feet long and just beginning his shed. Will update pics after.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:46 AM #141
skyline_898
i love to smoke meth

skyline_898 helped look for balloons
skyline_898 is playing at Living Legends V
skyline_898 is for the Gunfight
Damn, stacking up on snakes.

‎"If you think you're too small to have an impact, try going to bed with a mosquito in the room"
skyline_898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:03 PM #142
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Lol I know man. I'm up to 4 snakes, 2 geckos, 1 beardie, a bird, and the 55 gal fish tank. I plan to fill the 10 gallon I have with some poison dart frogs in a live terrarium within the next few months. Still unsure. After that though, I'm gonna start slowing down a ton. I'm pretty much out of room!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 PM #143
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintball_KIA4 View Post

Quoting for comparision. Check out the colors on this guy after his shed a few minutes ago.

Roughly 25 1/2 inches long

Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 AM #144
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Messing around with the timber rattlesnake. Taking him from the cage to his container to haul back to the nature center.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:54 PM #145
beastmode986

im thinking about getting a boa any tips???
beastmode986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM #146
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Lots and lots of research. No one care sheet is correct. Take an average from a lot and do what works best for you and your snake. The snake is ALWAYS (can't stress this enough) the last thing you buy when getting one.

What type of boa are you at getting? If you dunno, give me a size range your wanting or even the largest sized enclosure you can give to him.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:51 AM #147
Oc_rage (Banned)
Big Beats and Bass

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
want to get my first snake soon, can't decide between a ball python or a corn snake. what would you guys suggest? specifics would be a pastel ball or a anery corn.

and yeah, ive done the research and still am.
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote