Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-14-2011, 08:55 AM #22
1_viper

1_viper owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
my Brazilian Rainbow Boa will not take frozen either. have used the long tongs and all. i feed her small mice and rat pups (yea she is still small). but when i do feed the mice, i stun the mice so there is not much agression from the mouse (i pluck them to knock the out or daze them a little). something about that whole live natural movement she has to have. she noses the frozen but will not take it. but noses the live and hit it right away

any suggestions?????
1_viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2011, 11:14 AM #23
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
Don't give up. Sometimes when they are young it's tough to get them on them, especially if they were started on live. But keep trying. Rainbow boas can be kind of "snappy" anyway, so it may hit them as it gets older.
ViperScenarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM #24
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i think a yellow anne is the biggest snake i can legally keep in florida now sucks so much ***. they arn't on any list i have seen so i think they are legal.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:06 PM #25
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

I like anacondas about as much as retics. They tend to have nasty dispositions. LOL
Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM #26
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
I like anacondas about as much as retics. They tend to have nasty dispositions. LOL
oh i know, but i still like them, blood pythons are the other snake i've been wanting.

not going to mess with them for a while though..
Old 02-16-2011, 10:37 AM #27
1_viper

@ ViperScenario--- what do you mean snappy?? my snake is just as calm even when she is sheds. still handle her. may sound strange but she knows the different between me and my wife. she is more relaxed and calm while i hold her.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:06 AM #28
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

It was a generalization. Rainbows as a species tend to be biters. Not so much grabbing ahold and throwing coils, but more just snapping at whatever moves. Actually this is a tendency of most arboreal snakes. Rainbow boas, emerald tree boas, green tree pythons, Amazon tree boas...they all tend to strike at movement.

If you have one that doesn't you're lucky. They are beautiful animals.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM #29
dumberkid06
GATproducts.com

Alright, someone help me out here. I'm lookin to pick up a new snake for my ever growing collection. Any suggestions? Right now im leaning toward a carpet python or maybe a boa
Old 02-16-2011, 07:14 PM #30
1_viper

thanks....... was just courious. wanted to know if there was something i needed to look out for
Old 02-17-2011, 02:47 AM #31
Kid named puoS (Banned)

Kid named puoS supports Team VICIOUS
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
Kid named puoS has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
I've been think about getting a green tree python. I think they're pretty. I didn't know they were 'snappy' though.

So how many of you have actually been bit? I was bit by a Red-Tail Boa, it was a feeding mishap, he didn't latch on or anything just snapped.

I was hesitating, trying to separate the snakes for feeding while the mouse was thawing outside the cage
Kid named puoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 AM #32
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

my yellow rat snake hates me...

its a small snake though so it wasn't bad, it dropped its food and struck at my hand the tongs were in.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:06 AM #33
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

I've been tagged plenty by non-venomous snakes. Never once by a hot. Not even close. Does it mean it wouldn't won't ever happen? Absolutely not. If you keep hots you run that risk.

You have to remember that most snakes have horrible eyesight. Most go simply by smell. Some, like pythons, have heat sensing pits as well.

But the bottom line is that they can't see, and they don't have hands to feel with. Their options when they see something are to ignore it, run away, bite it to encourage it to move away, or taste it and see if it's food. So when they see your hand, that is the decision they face.

Here is an important tip to make interacting with your snake more enjoyable; use a feeding container. As I just stated, they can't tell for sure what that big thing is in front of them so, when you reach into their enclosure they don't know what is coming at them. Could by keeper, could be food. And how do they investigate? Well, we already covered that.

So the only thing you can do to reduce the confusion is conditioning. Here's what you do:

First you never feed your snake in it's home. Take it out and place it in a plastic tub large enough for it to move around but small enough that it doesn't get lost in it. This will always be the place it finds food, and it never finds food anywhere else. Your snake will begin to associate the smell of this tub with feeding.

Second, always use long tongs to present the prey items. If you mingle the scent of your hands with the scent of prey the snake will associate the scent of your hand as a component of the smell of food.

If you observe these two simple protocols, in most cases, you will drastically reduce your chances of getting tagged when you reach into their enclosure to pick them up. Of course you have to combine this with common sense like not handling prey items or other furry animals and then reaching right in when your hands smell like food. Also use lots of care during feeding times. Snake feeding response can be like a feeding frenzy in sharks. Some get in that mode and will strike at anything that moves until their brain shifts gears from "feeding response" to normal behavior.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM #34
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

see i've heard both ends of that from lots of people, about feeding in and outside the enclosure. he actually doesn't strike when i reach in to pick him up or to take him out, he only goes after food, him not liking me is more him musking when i pick him up. that was actually my first bite in the last 10 years of handling.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 PM #35
Woodsballerpcb

They refused to let us buy Draco until we let one of the agressive ball's bite us. Honestly, it worked, we werent afraid at all the pick him up.
Prior to feeding him live, I always shake the box that the rat is in and thump his head before dropping him in the feed box. Sounds somewhat inhumane, but if it keeps my snake from being hurt, ill continue to do it.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM #36
Word?
Bring back 10man

Word? is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Waiting for my tax return to get my new red tail! had a couple questions though.

I saw a set up for emerald tree boas where the keeper took a baby humidifier (much cheaper than pet brand) and routed it into the cage, creating a constant fog.

Seeing as red tails are tropical snakes also and need humidity at 80%, I was going to copy that technique in my custom cage setup. But, im not sure if I should run it 24/7 like the owner suggested because I was worried of a possible respiratory illness.

any input?

LOLWUT
Word? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:43 PM #37
playxball

playxball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
playxball is for the Gunfight

I keep a few redtails...They feed every 10 to 14 days and get misted down 3 to 4 times a week. I also Keep a hide in the cage with moss during their shed period. But I would not use the humidifier. Just my opinion.

Also I feed live BUT I keep a close watch on all of my animals while feeding. In 2009 I produced 250 baby ball pythons...spiders/pastels/albinos/mojaves/het clowns/het pieds and ghosts.

Hope you all like

Planet Eclipse/Valken/DXS/KEE/DYE/MacDev/MAPL/OXCC/PPSC/R an M/Legacy Paintball/CRU

playxball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:14 PM #38
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

I wouldn't do the humidifier either unless you lived in a VERY dry climate, and even then I would just put it in the same room. Also avoid drafty areas. If the enclosure has screen vents or lid don't place it where the air conditioner vents blow at or over them. Boas are pretty susceptible to respiratory infections due to draft or cold.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:54 AM #39
Word?
Bring back 10man

thanks for the advice, I did a lot of research in the library on boas and none of the books or forums I checked on went into detail about delivery for the 80% humidity. good to know about the draft thing too, I was going to put a fan in. I'll skip it now.

just tracked down a pet store with a great price on baby rtb.

LOLWUT
Old 02-21-2011, 10:01 PM #40
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

why buy from a pet store as apposed to a reptile dealer? you end up paying twice as much through a pet store.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:39 PM #41
playxball

playxball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
playxball is for the Gunfight
Do research. Some pet stores are ok others are clueless!

check out www.kingsnake.com classifieds.

Looking for a boa look up Brian Sharp Peter Kahl or Ben Siegle

Planet Eclipse/Valken/DXS/KEE/DYE/MacDev/MAPL/OXCC/PPSC/R an M/Legacy Paintball/CRU

playxball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 PM #42
Word?
Bring back 10man

I'm really not into buying from dealers unless I can see the snake in person, like at an expo or con. Plus getting a snake in the mail seems like a bit of a gamble even though most have guarantees.

The guy is local, he takes great care of his reptiles and even has some full grown adults on display. There's no reason for me to not trust him, but thanks for the tip.

LOLWUT