Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM #253
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by imhungry View Post
maaaan i went to the local pet store to grab a few more live plants for my 29gal community tank and they still have the blood for sale. they are trying to get rid of it and are selling it for 100 w/ the enclosure (old 40gal breeder, the store is moving so they need to dump their inventory i guess). it is mean as all hell. snake is healthy and eating frozen. his color is pretty dull but at that price i could care less

i might have to pull the trigger, although i was leaning towards something smaller like a ball morph or a pair of sand boas. i almost want to buy it so some idiot does not pick it up not knowing what they are getting into.
Quote:
i want to get him but its pretty obvious it has never been handled and is very, very bitey and kind of skittish. judging by its size it is also a year or 2 old so i am not sure how easy it will be to get him calmed down and used to people.

i would hate to see some kid that had a corn snake and wants something bigger buy it and not realize what he is getting into.
Or what I hear a lot "It's like a ball python only a little bigger and different colored!". I'd really be unsure of it calming down ever. I know people with some that they've worked with for years that won't calm down, some will still come around.

Not an animal you should get if you couldn't live with the fact you could potentially never touch him. Better you have him and never touch him than some 10 year old gets his face snapped lol.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 04-23-2012, 05:52 PM #254
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

has been a member for 10 years
If it was younger I would feel more comfortable getting it calmed down but its definitely been around for a little while. I could live with out handling it but it just makes things unnecessarily hard dealing with a snake that aggressive. Ive been bitten by a large one before and it is really painful, taking a face shot from one could do some nasty damage.

Ill give it some thought and call some friends and see if I can find a home for it.
imhungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 PM #255
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
If it was younger I would feel more comfortable getting it calmed down but its definitely been around for a little while. I could live with out handling it but it just makes things unnecessarily hard dealing with a snake that aggressive. Ive been bitten by a large one before and it is really painful, taking a face shot from one could do some nasty damage.

Ill give it some thought and call some friends and see if I can find a home for it.
I would say get it hook trained, but it'll probably snap your hook in half from all the weight. ROFL
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:05 PM #256
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

im buying it whenever i get time to head up there after work this week, screw it. i am going to call a few friends and see if they would be interested in it afterwards for possibly a trade. tbh i would give it to someone i knew so long as i could keep the 40gal breeder.

i know my friend in NC has a pair of sand boas he wants to sell so maybe he would be interested in a trade. he also has a carpet and a few children's pythons i would love. if not, i got another blood on the cheap.

id also be afraid to pick up using a hook with something that heavy bodied once it gets bigger, seems like i could really hurt him. i guess just for feeding i would be cool. ill get some nice kevlar gloves for cleaning the enclosure haha

Last edited by imhungry : 04-23-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:03 AM #257
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

don't have a more trafficed thread to ask this, my two snapping turtles are getting large, one of them is a big baby (he is about 10-13 y/o) not much of a problem outside of size. Now the smaller one on the other hand is becoming a hand full he hates being touched and handled at all, and its getting hard to handle him safely. Do you guys thing the large thick monitor/hotsnake handling cevlar/steel fingered gloves could with stand a bite from a juvi florida snapper, i don't care if its an uncomfortable experience for me getting bit still i just don't want to lose fingers. Right now i'm wearing leather welding gloves but i'm still wary of the force.
kfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:22 PM #258
T1tanrush
Team Green

While it may stop the finger from being cut off, it'll still crush the finger from the bite force. You don't need to handle your turtle, leave it alone it's not a dog, they are hands off pets.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM #259
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i'm not a little boy, i've had reptiles and turtles specifically for the last 18 years of my life... I HAVE to handle them to remove them from enclosures for cleaning purposes...
Old 04-27-2012, 10:47 AM #260
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfresh View Post
i'm not a little boy, i've had reptiles and turtles specifically for the last 18 years of my life... I HAVE to handle them to remove them from enclosures for cleaning purposes...
Rarely do you need to remove the turtle, proper filtration as well as 50% water changes should alone be enough, every few months maybe you need to remove him but that's few and far between.

Again, it's a wild animal, it may never want to be touched, it may ALWAYS be just like it is now, and want nothing more than to bite the **** out of you. If you can't accept that, get rid of the turtle.

I'm not being harsh, or treating you "like a boy", but these are the facts of dealing with reptiles. Certain animals (like snappers) really have no place in the common homeowners aquarium at all..
Old 04-27-2012, 10:53 AM #261
ViperScenarios
Coast-to-coast Scenarios

ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends III
ViperScenarios is playing at Living Legends V
ViperScenarios owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
ViperScenarios supports Bob Gurnsey
I'd have to add that a lot of arboreal snakes are that way too. They may tame down a bit, but they will almost always strike and movement...and they love faces.

I had a beautiful Amazon Tree Boa that went for my face every time, and a Rainbow Boa that just bit at everything that came near her.
ViperScenarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM #262
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperScenarios View Post
I'd have to add that a lot of arboreal snakes are that way too. They may tame down a bit, but they will almost always strike and movement...and they love faces.

I had a beautiful Amazon Tree Boa that went for my face every time, and a Rainbow Boa that just bit at everything that came near her.
Sadly this is the problem with most reptiles. Everyone will see pictures of the kid holding the iguana, walking the monitor, or holding the 15ft python. In reality, many reptiles NEVER become like that. They are a solitary animal who wants NOTHING to do with a social mammal.

When I got my nile monitor 2 years ago it was knowing full well that I may never get to touch her, ever, unless absolutely needed. I knew I had the high chance of getting an animal I could never pet, walk on a leash, or say was "tame". I could accept that, many people however, can't. I don't know how many people I've refused to sell a snake to because they say "I want one that's tame, or I want to be able to touch it. May never happen, if you want to touch something get a dog.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:59 AM #263
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1tanrush View Post
because i'm a common homeowner right..... guess the 500 gallon pond system i have for the adults is common too right? i'm not looking to make it a puppy i was looking for something to make the few times i have to handle it a little safer for me, but i guess you are the type that says hot owners should free hand there pets too right?
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 PM #264
Blue_Cobra
Nxe-HK*ARMY-JT-Dye-Guy

Blue_Cobra owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Blue_Cobra supports Team VICIOUS
Blue_Cobra posts videos on PbNation
Blue_Cobra supports Pev's Paintball
I like all of the snake pictures. I like snakes and hate spiders. Snakes seem like they would make great pets except that they seem to do their own thing. Do they recognize your voices and come when you call? lol, kinda stupid question to ask I guess. But I was just wondering.

"Originally posted by greenperson: lol you just completely shutout savephace. they were like "look. our lens can take a gelatin shell at 425 FPS". and Vforce is like "ok. ours can take bullets.""
LEGO PAINTBALL WHAT DO YOU THINK???
Need to sell gear? Go to U.S.A. B/S/T! It's easy & it's Facebook!
Blue_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM #265
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

so i got that blood python and the enclosure for 100 bucks the other day and already moved him to a friend. i told him he could have the snake i just wanted the enclosure but he gave me $70 for it. the blood has a good home, i got a dirt cheap 40gal, all is well in the world.

i am now about to go look at some month old het hypo western hognose snakes i found on craigslist.
Old 04-28-2012, 01:37 PM #266
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue_Cobra View Post
I like all of the snake pictures. I like snakes and hate spiders. Snakes seem like they would make great pets except that they seem to do their own thing. Do they recognize your voices and come when you call? lol, kinda stupid question to ask I guess. But I was just wondering.
Snakes are actually an intelligent species. Most of them, especially pythons, speak fluent parseltongue. I would suggest learning that as a second language before purchasing your first snake. It'll make the transition much easier, as he'll understand your intentions. There has been a few snakes, who's owners were very knowledgeable in parceltongue, that managed to learn a few commands in Spanish. Some were even able to respond back in Spanish, although like most birds, it's hard to understand their accents with the new language. Hope this helps!

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

XBL GT: KimJung Is BOSS
paintball_KIA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM #267
kfresh
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I read the first part of your statement fast as "snakes are highly intelligent especially pythons" and i was going to reply with something about the loveable slow Burmese pythons and there sometimes specialness, but then saw parseltongue and dodgy'd.

In other news locally here in central florida over the last 20 years the coyote population has SKY ROCKETED. I had never saw a single coyote in florida 15 years ago, and i traveled a lot of nature area's and state parks at the time. I saw my first one about 10 years ago and was quite surprised because they are not native in florida at all what so ever. Now fastforward 10 years later and not only am i seeing them semi regularly, i am hearing them every night. I know if they have reached this section of florida and continued south they should be gaining quite a large population in south florida in the hammocks around the everglades. Now to the reason i am posting this in here, recently there was a study that showed the population of small mammals has suddenly greatly decreased in south florida over the last 2 years, and with pythons being in the news so regularly lately the local news media and even state officials have jumped to the conclusion that pythons are literally eradicating every species of small mammal in south florida even in sections without reports of pythons or proof of a established population. Now what i was wondering is does it not seem more likely that a large range fast moving apex predictor that never existed in the region before that feeds regularly and hunts in small groups would be the cause of such an extensive decrease in small to medium sized mammals as apposed to an animal that has a much smaller range of territory it hunts in and hunts and eats on a much less regular bases? These are large apex predators with very few natural predators of their own that breed rapidly. Its funny how the media and the State fish and game groups have taken very little in the way of steps to get rid of them.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM #268
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfresh View Post
because i'm a common homeowner right..... guess the 500 gallon pond system i have for the adults is common too right? i'm not looking to make it a puppy i was looking for something to make the few times i have to handle it a little safer for me, but i guess you are the type that says hot owners should free hand there pets too right?
Yet you still don't grasp the concept of it's a reptile, and it probably won't ever want you to work with it. It won't be safe. Net it or something if you're afraid of getting hurt.

I free handle hots, I don't recommend others do the same.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:56 AM #269
imhungry (Banned)
***CHAOS***

if you really need to handle a snapper then you can grab him at the back and be fine (if it is smaller). you can also get him right above his head on the shell by sliding your hand along its carapace and grabbing right above his head. he cant reach you there but it is still pretty scary the first few times you do it. this method works for any large turtles, including soft shells although i prefer to grab the by the back of the carapace since there is almost no room between there head and shell to grab. i have not owned a snapper in years but i do catch them fairly often while fishing, real fun removing a hook from them btw.

your best bet is not to handle it. i never handled mine unless i absolutely had to. the dude at the reptile store hand feeds his snappers frozen mice and parts of chickens and stuff, i am not that crazy. i just have 2 reeves turtles right now and i dont like handling them unless i have to, even though they have never snapped at me.

oh, netting one could be just as bad. if it gets tangled in the net you will have to get it out and put your hands in places you might not want to. scoop it up with a large bucket/plastic tub or something or do it by hand

Last edited by imhungry : 04-30-2012 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM #270
dustingaunder
Torpedam Íverslag

dustingaunder is Legendary
My albino burm is getting big. She's over 5' now and eating a large rat a week. Finally got all of our snakes eating FT rats which is a relief. Our first fire female is almost 1000g and is a fantastic eater. Between her and the burm we don't have to worry about thawed rats not getting eaten.

Rodent Pro is the bomb digity for our feeding needs. We've placed two orders totaling over 400 rats. Excellent quality. We've been very impressed with their service. Local shop wants $5.75 each for frozen large rats. We ordered 40 large, 10 medium, 20 small, 25 weened, and 25 pups for $190 shipped. Worked out to $1.58 each.

My Channel
Class 3 Designs, LLC
dustingaunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM #271
pbmink (Banned)
Ain't nobody dope as me

pbmink is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Since this is the reptile thread now

I've discovered 3of5 of my typhoon breeders and 4of9het typhoons dead within the last 24 hours.

I have one word,

pbmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:07 PM #272
dustingaunder
Torpedam Íverslag

dustingaunder is Legendary
Sucks. . Any idea what's up?

My Channel
Class 3 Designs, LLC
dustingaunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:12 PM #273
1_viper