PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-26-2011, 02:50 AM #1
ProuTy
I Doubt It

Help me choose a dog!!!

Alright well me and my gurlyfriend are looking at getting a dog. So Im looking for some advice. She and I both really want a husky but I dont know if thats a good idea considering we live in an apartment, it is 3 bedroom and we are looking at moving into a house during summer, there is also a field behind the building for him to run around. But im not sure if they bark alot or not. So I guess number one is give me the low down on the husky. Also if you want to point me in the direction of another breed please do so. All advice is greatly appreciated.
ProuTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2011, 08:39 AM #2
t3h_s0ld13.-

t3h_s0ld13.- plays in the PSP
t3h_s0ld13.- is an NCPA National Champion
t3h_s0ld13.- plays in the APPA D5 division
My advice if you really want a husky is to wait until you move into a house before you get one. Huskies are bred to run, and if you get one while you are in the apartment you will need to take it for at least one 2 hour walk each day in addition to letting it run around that field for a long time.

My neighbors have a husky (I think he's around 3 years old), and they don't give him enough exercise (almost none from what I can tell). If they take him outside and put him on a tie-out (which I would not recommend) he has so much pent-up energy that he has broken two of them. Seriously snapped the galvanized steel line about 12 inches from his collar, and as soon as he gets off that line he runs all over the neighborhood because that's what he wants to do.. run.

Also keep in mind that with most dogs the more exercise you give them, the more nice things you can have. I say that because a tired, happy dog won't destroy all of your stuff like a dog that hasn't been out of the house for 2 weeks will. Bored dogs find ways to entertain themselves at the expense of our stuff.
t3h_s0ld13.- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:58 AM #3
Hedhunter
Assassinspaintball.net

Husky owner here & t3h gave you some good advice. I will assume you have thought through the expense and time it takes to own a dog. Husky’s are amazing I have owned two they do need a lot of exercise and if they don’t get it they will become destructive. They do not do well off leash and will need a fenced in area. Also do not discount the shedding factor it’s probably the number one reason people give them up. In the fall and spring just keep your vacuum out and plugged in and expect to brush them at least once a week. Some will bark but they are more inclined to howl and “talk” youtube will provide you with hours of typical husky behavior including the atypical dog that can mimic his owner saying I love you. They are clean dogs and will have almost no smell. Most experts will say to bathe them once or twice a year. My husky is solid white so I do it a bit more often using waterless foam. If you decide to get one please do not buy one. My local Husky rescue has ay least 25 dogs at all times. If you are in a smaller place I would probably look for a female 35 to 60 lbs as opposed to the males that can go 40 to 75. I am not sure if you have a dog park close to you but spend some time down there and talk to owners there may be other breeds that suite your lifestyle better. Let us know what you decide.

Siberian Husky Rescue
http://www.siberianrescue.com/sibrescu.htm
Hedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:04 AM #4
ProuTy
I Doubt It

Thanks guys. So if the ability is there to take them out and have them excerise is there then it should be alright? And if I do get one i will get a puppy. That goes for any dog
Old 01-26-2011, 11:38 AM #5
StrangeBalla55
bamcis

StrangeBalla55 donated to help Peyton Trent
StrangeBalla55 supports Sherwood Forest
i lived in 2 apartments before i moved into current house, and had 2 huskies. We never had a real problem took em to dog park 3-4 times forr a few hours and brief walks every couple of hours.

My male, had a problem with eating drywall cornors of the wall. local vet said to stick a finger down his mouth on the side. did that a few times and never had a problem since.

DEEP SEA
StrangeBalla55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 12:06 PM #6
Hedhunter
Assassinspaintball.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProuTy View Post
Thanks guys. So if the ability is there to take them out and have them excerise is there then it should be alright? And if I do get one i will get a puppy. That goes for any dog
As long as you can “commit” to the time a dog will require than you should be good. One additional thing, make sure you and your girlfriend are consistent with regard to what is allowed and not allowed. Is the dog allowed on the furniture or in the bed fed from the table etc etc.
Hedhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:28 PM #7
jwillie beck

Huskys are a fun breed and they do need alot of exercise, and they will get hot in atl in the summer. I have an Australian shepard in the mountains and I have to shave him atleast twice during the summer, before you make a decision I would recommend finding thee book called the dog bible and seeing which dog would be best suited for your lifestyle. My opinion is the Aussie breed are the coolest dogs imaginable.
jwillie beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:34 PM #8
spinebeltfan1
back center laying paint

spinebeltfan1 is playing at Living Legends III
spinebeltfan1 supports Team VICIOUS
I would say if u wanted to get a puppy that u don't wanna get a pure breed mix breds are alot better. I have a black lab husky coon hound mix an she is the cooliest thing ever
Old 01-26-2011, 03:35 PM #9
uranjack
Marker Tech.

uranjack posts videos on PbNation
uranjack plays in the APPA beginner division
uranjack supports DLX Technology
If you Wikipedia husky's you will learn a lot about the breed.
Sound stupid I know but it's true.
Eddie Tamao Fan#23

Current Markers: Red/Black Ego8, Redz Black/Red Ego7, Black/Black NXT, Black/Gold XSV SL74, Gold/Black Ego11
uranjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:50 PM #10
impulseballer42586
WCPS Operations Manager

Annual Supporting Member
impulseballer42586 is a Moderator
impulseballer42586 is Legendary
My room mate has a husky, and pretty much everything above has covered the primary things. I would recommend getting a male husky, they tend to have less issues with everyone I've talked to with escaping and/or jumping out of car windows if you take them with you on drives. He has a female, and she escapes everything (granted, he doesn't walk/run her, but thats another story).

So yah, just be ready to give them lots of time, and they don't typically do well around small cats or animals, but can be socialized to do fine with them. They just have a strong pray drive since they are still close blood lines to wolves.

Step #1 - Go Here
Step #2 - Read This
Step #3 - Don't talk about fight club
impulseballer42586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:07 PM #11
MN_Rising
Stroppy Woman

MN_Rising owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
MN_Rising supports Team VICIOUS
MN_Rising plays in the APPA D5 division
MN_Rising has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
I would suggest looking into rescues around your area. Or use a site like petfinder.com. Many rescues around here at least will allow you a 'trial' period with the dog. You may mesh wonderfully upon first meeting, but you're also going to be bringing them into a new environment and may find a completely different dog after a few weeks at "home".
MN_Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 PM #12
ProuTy
I Doubt It

appreciate all the advice guys
Old 01-26-2011, 11:54 PM #13
Barnhill
MOBIN in a town near you!

Also one thing to consider when getting a dog is what you want from the dog. Be VERY aware of what the dog was bred for. Huskys, Aussies, BC's, are all working dogs and will be at their best when they have a job to do. Excercise is great, but be sure you have plenty of mental stimulation for the dog as well.

Look into any training clubs in your area as well. My wife and I joined one when we got our All-American Sagira 3 years ago and its the best money we ever spent.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams
Barnhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:16 AM #14
JonnyDread

Someone above suggested not getting a pure bred and I'd actually second that. Even getting something that's just a "slight" mix, like a Husky/Malamute mutt would be good. You tend to get better genetic diversity that way which translates to less health problems in the long run. Have you thought about maybe getting a mixed husky breed? There are a couple of Asian-bred dogs that have some similar traits to huskies, but are a little smaller and more manageable in terms of exercise, I'll see if I can find the names.
JonnyDread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 AM #15
jdzy?

jdzy? is an NCPA player
jdzy? supports DLX Technology

shes awesome, AKC cert pure bred, Sable color, they need space to run, very athletic, i know people who have husky in an apt but you would have to take it out everyday to let it get exercise or it will tear your place up, im planning on breeding her soon, GL with your choice, huskies take more care but are worth it in my opinion, as for barking she never barks but huskies do HOWL almost like a wolf, love the husky howl

this is what she looked like when she was a pup, they do change the way they look when they get older

Last edited by jdzy? : 01-27-2011 at 01:46 AM.
jdzy? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 02:49 AM #16
Draken

Huskeys are great dogs, but as someone that volunteers with a rescue org. I would highly recommend looking into that first. Most rescue orgs will already have the dog (puppy) up to date on shots, dewormed, checked to make sure it is healthy, and have the spay/neuter already done. And another thing, while Huskeys are over all a healthy breed of dog, you will find most Pure Breed American dogs (mutts/mixes) will have fewer health problems in the long run.
Draken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 AM #17
ProuTy
I Doubt It

Thanks guys. Finding time to take it out is not a problem. I work from 8am to 12 on week days so i got plenty of time to spend with it.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:23 PM #18
nickpb13

nickpb13 supports Team VICIOUS
nickpb13 is attending Decay of Nations VI
ok my suggestion is a newfoundland. We had one for 3 years and she recently passed away . Theyre really easy, really well mannered, i would trust her with a baby, but also very fun and gets alot of attention. Because of their coat yes they need groomed weekly and you need to sweep alot. However theyre the most well behaved dog ever. The last thing to consider is theyre known for hip issues, spine issues, and leg issues. Pm me for questions =]

(:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅[̲̅ ̲̅]̲̅:̲̅:̲̅:̲̅ )

Mainly Electronics! Need To Sell ASAP!! Contour Camera, Xbox 360 and more!! http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.p...3#post83134873
nickpb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:24 PM #19
TheRedButton

TheRedButton owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Whatever you get, get a rescue.

Cory Persson Fan #1
TheRedButton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:03 PM #20
gator man#8

huskies r good dogs but u mite want to consider a rotty very low maintnance and r a good guard dog but really any shelter dog is a good dog,heck any dog in some way is a good dog
gator man#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM #21
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
huskys shed like crazy.
if you excersize it you should have enough room in an apt. it might even be nice if you are moving to have it potty trained before you move...

the bigger the dog the more excersize/food/poop/shedding/medicine etc. there is to deal with.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote