Find fields and stores
Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 06-14-2011, 01:55 AM #64
Skeetzy

Is bathing more than once a week bad for him? He is very malnourished, and doesn't drink from the water bowl. At least I've never witnessed it. He's putting a little weight on though, and hopefully the new tank and UVB bulb will help.

He had no UVB bulb until today. Me and my friend who have been splitting the price of everything hooked him up today. Got him a T8 18" UVB Fluorencent bulb kit from Petco for $40. Then got him his 75 gallon tank, the stand, a heat rock(The cords cut and no power, so its just a rock haha), and the branch in the corner of the pictures for $40. Then went back to Petco and bought the bearded dragon $50 starter kit, so we could get the two lamps and bulbs(Since the lamps and bulbs separate are like $40, so we got all the extra **** for $10). It also has a terrarium carpet thing, a 10 gallon tank, and the thermometer/hygrometer in the big tank.

I definitely need to work on his diet. Need to get him better greens, he doesn't like parsley that much, and that guide says to feed it occasionally I believe. He loves crickets. We're going to try mealworms tomorrow. He loves pears and apples. Going to try cantaloupe this week too.

I'm also curious as to any information on whether they get along with younger bearded dragons? Me and my friend are tempted to raise a baby bearded dragon, since they're only $50 at petco. We'd like to raise him to a juvenile, then move him to the old 29 gallon tank, then as an adult hopefully introduce him to our current one.

He's still pretty much nameless. Vladimir is the current choice, but it hasn't officially stuck yet.

And he got mad today, for no apparent reason. I pet him a little and he calmed down. Not quite sure. Maybe he was hungry. Even though he just ate.

Sorry for the story, I'm still excited about getting him and the new tank haha. And this is all very new to me. Never had a reptile before.

Edit:
Oh yeah, would he prefer the terrarium carpet over the sand? Until I get a better bottom. And they really don't like sand? I mean, you obviously know better, but I thought the desert was full of it, and that's where they're from. hahaha

Last edited by Skeetzy : 06-14-2011 at 02:03 AM.
Skeetzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 06-14-2011, 10:44 AM #65
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

For being your first reptile, and it all being on such short notice as a rescue, your off to a great job. So to you.

Now for the sand. The problem with it is that while they do live on it, it can still be harmful to them if swallowed/ingested. If you prefer the look of the sand, I'd suggest trying to feed the crickets outside the enclosure. That's the time he would most likely pick up sand grains. Eating out of his dish will still be safe. If keeping the sand, I would also sift it through a kitchen strainer (or something similar) to get rid of some of the smaller pebbles. Keep it to strictly the fine sand only. It's not as likely with adults, but he could mistake a pebble for something edible and attempt to eat it.

Using that piece of terrarium carpet would work, but not as easy to clean as the sand. You can't just scoop the poop out. Have to scrub it or take the carpet out and clean it well. A second piece would make this easier on both of you, but could still require daily changing depending on how much he uses the restroom.

I say to use the sand. As long as you use proper precaution to prevent any mishaps, it's a great substrate. Looks much better than the carpet or newspaper.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

XBL GT: KimJung Is BOSS
paintball_KIA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 04:42 PM #66
Skeetzy

Thank you

Well the thing with this guy, is he ALWAYS kicks sand on his food. ALWAYS. When we give him greens/fruits, he immediately kicks sand up onto them, and then eats them.

Anyone have experience with Petco Thermometers? I have two on the bottoms of the glass, about 2-3" above the sand level, on opposite sides of the tanks, and neither are reading a temp at all. The one in the middle is only reading 70* too. I have two 5.5" lamps with daytime heat bulbs going, and they haven't moved at all. He doesn't feel cold at all, so I'm thinking they're just faulty thermometers.

Going to get him some better greens, meal worms, and crickets.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:06 PM #67
paintball_KIA4
GO BIG BLUE!

Can always try to sit a long/wide thin rock underneath his food dish to make it harder to sling the sand up into it while still being easily accessed. I haven't had any experience with it, but it's my suggestion.

madgoat: "holy crap that got confusing. I was all "wtf, no girl is cool enough to have kimjung is boss as their xbl tag". I was about to ask if you were a dike or born male raised female. Come to find out it was a simple misunderstanding."

XBL GT: KimJung Is BOSS
paintball_KIA4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:16 PM #68
Skeetzy

Yeah I'm going to work on it. He's hunting crickets as we speak. Coated in calcium and d3
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 PM #69
Oc_rage (Banned)

Oc_rage is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeetzy View Post
Thank you

Well the thing with this guy, is he ALWAYS kicks sand on his food. ALWAYS. When we give him greens/fruits, he immediately kicks sand up onto them, and then eats them.

Anyone have experience with Petco Thermometers? I have two on the bottoms of the glass, about 2-3" above the sand level, on opposite sides of the tanks, and neither are reading a temp at all. The one in the middle is only reading 70* too. I have two 5.5" lamps with daytime heat bulbs going, and they haven't moved at all. He doesn't feel cold at all, so I'm thinking they're just faulty thermometers.

Going to get him some better greens, meal worms, and crickets.
yeah get the sand out of there immediately. whats more important to you? how the tank looks for you or how comfortable and happy your bearded dragon is? impaction is a TERRIBLE thing and they can DIE from it. imagine what would happen if you were swallowing sand every time you were eating? it scrapes up their insides and cause's a huge amount of pain when they poop. the deserts they are from when they are from the wild are hard clay and rock, not loose sand. walking on sand for them is the same for us, uncomfortable and not fun. id recommend slate like i said before because it files down their nails so you dont have to cut them, but if you dont mind cutting them then carpet is just as good and easy to clean.

edit- here's a good article on why sand is terrible
http://www.beardeddragon.org/bjive/v...?f=34&t=132151

all those bright areas(big blobs to the left)/speckles is sand

for thermometers you want to use the ones that are digital with a cord/probe on the end, or a temp gun and you want to take the temp of the direct basking area where he sits when he basks.

next, did you not read what i said about the UVB bulb? you want to get the repti-sun 10.0, the coil ones/repti-glo's are BAD for them and can hurt them, they emit way too much uvb at first which irritates their eyes and can cause possible blindness, then they wear out real quick and are just a normal florescent bulb and hence useless for him. you want him the light 6-8 inches away and if you put it over the screen it blocks out some of the uvb as well. so i would suggest returning those things to petco because petco stores dont carry the proper bulbs, well actually i think they might but they charge almost double then what they cost online.

edit- oh and yeah, you can bathe him every day if you want, its just unnecessary.

Last edited by Oc_rage : 06-15-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Oc_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM #70
Oc_rage (Banned)

here's a pic of my guy now and his temp set up until he gets his new tank and wood this weekend.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:39 PM #71
Skeetzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc_rage View Post
yeah get the sand out of there immediately. whats more important to you? how the tank looks for you or how comfortable and happy your bearded dragon is? impaction is a TERRIBLE thing and they can DIE from it. imagine what would happen if you were swallowing sand every time you were eating? it scrapes up their insides and cause's a huge amount of pain when they poop. the deserts they are from when they are from the wild are hard clay and rock, not loose sand. walking on sand for them is the same for us, uncomfortable and not fun. id recommend slate like i said before because it files down their nails so you dont have to cut them, but if you dont mind cutting them then carpet is just as good and easy to clean.

all those bright areas(big blobs to the left)/speckles is sand

for thermometers you want to use the ones that are digital with a cord/probe on the end, or a temp gun and you want to take the temp of the direct basking area where he sits when he basks.

next, did you not read what i said about the UVB bulb? you want to get the repti-sun 10.0, the coil ones/repti-glo's are BAD for them and can hurt them, they emit way too much uvb at first which irritates their eyes and can cause possible blindness, then they wear out real quick and are just a normal florescent bulb and hence useless for him. you want him the light 6-8 inches away and if you put it over the screen it blocks out some of the uvb as well. so i would suggest returning those things to petco because petco stores dont carry the proper bulbs, well actually i think they might but they charge almost double then what they cost online.

edit- oh and yeah, you can bathe him every day if you want, its just unnecessary.
I wasn't worried about the looks of sand, it's just what I had right now. I'm already looking for slate as we speak.

I just emailed Zilla seeing if they'll give me a refund, since theres a lot of reports online of them offering refunds. If petco doesn't offer me one, then I'll take Zilla's. Can you please send me a link to one I can use?

Also, are the heat lights that Petco and pet stores sell okay to use?

I'll go to the stores tomorrow to find the proper temp gun.

And I read it wrong I guess, I thought you were talking about the screw in bulbs, not the fluorescent style.

No reason to get upset though, this is a new learning curve for me, and I am all ears at this point. I'm not here to argue your knowledge, since I have none at this point. Just looking for advice!

Also, BEAUTIFUL dragon. What species is that? We're looking to getting a hatchling, and I'd love to get that species.

Last edited by Skeetzy : 06-14-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Skeetzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 PM #72
Oc_rage (Banned)

www.petmountain.com or www.lllreptile.com both sell the repti-sun 10.0 bulbs for $25 in all sizes as well as anything else you need.

for the basking bulb i would just a normal spotlight bulb, i use Phillips 75w ones i get at the 99cent store which is the EXACT same thing as a 75w "reptile" light that sells for 9.99.

sorry i got a little worked up, was already mad about something else so a bit of it leaked into that post.

and his parents were Cindy Red/ Sandfire Red X Cawley Red/ OGG/ Hypo Red and Orange Tiger/ OGG X Sandfire Red/ Cawley Red and he's 66% het for hypo. i got him from a local breeder, http://spicedragonz.weebly.com/available-reds.html. but i think he stopped breeding them, not 100% sure.

oh, and i forgot to mention, if you put a smaller bearded dragon with a bigger one he will kill it. they are territorial and like to be on their own unless they were raised together from when they were hatched, and even then more often then not they eventually fight for dominance and one often ends up dead. i HIGHLY suggest not introducing them to each other unless you get a female and plan to breed them, and even then you would need a separate viv for her except for the couple mins they spent breeding then you would have to put her right back and out of view. even having her in view can stress him/her out.
Old 06-15-2011, 12:50 AM #73
Skeetzy

Damn good to know about mixing them. That's definitely going to change things then. Can't afford another 75 gallon tank to house the new one when it gets to be an adult. How long would that take actually?

Wow thanks for the info on the bulbs. Had no idea. That will save me quite a bit haha. I'll be ordering the new UVB very soon. And it's all good, stuff always happens. Just didn't wanna seem like one of those kids that ask for advice then don't listen haha.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 AM #74
Oc_rage (Banned)

a 40 gallon breeder would be fine if you wanna get a female as they tend to be a lot less active as they older. it takes about a year until they are adults and thats aslo when they stop usually are done growing. my guy is around 6 months old and 13inch's and weighs about 110g's.

and yeah haha, i was stoked when i found out i could get the 75w bulbs at the 99cent store.

hit me up if you have any questions or anything.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:18 AM #75
T1tanrush
Team Green

T1tanrush helped look for balloons
T1tanrush owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
T1tanrush supports Team VICIOUS
I buy all my "heat bulbs" at the dollar store- having a bunch of monitor cages requiring a ton of heat becomes hell when you try to spend $14 on a single bulb instead of buying at the dollar store.. rofl
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
T1tanrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM #76
Zip zap and a tap (Banned)

Zip zap and a tap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:15 PM #77
Oc_rage (Banned)

is that lettuce? lettuce is no good for beardies
Old 06-18-2011, 09:17 PM #78
playxball

playxball owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
playxball is for the Gunfight
It isn't bad for them if its iceberg it is just water. Romain kale collard greens are best

Planet Eclipse/Valken/DXS/KEE/DYE/MacDev/MAPL/OXCC/PPSC/R an M/Legacy Paintball/CRU

playxball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 10:00 PM #79
Oc_rage (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by playxball View Post
It isn't bad for them if its iceberg it is just water. Romain kale collard greens are best
it is actually, it can give them diarrhea and dehydrate them. romain lettuce isnt good for them either(any lettuce is no good). collard/mustard greens and kale are the most popular/best staple veggies for them.

Last edited by Oc_rage : 06-18-2011 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:21 AM #80
playxball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oc_rage View Post
it is actually, it can give them diarrhea and dehydrate them. romain lettuce isnt good for them either(any lettuce is no good). collard/mustard greens and kale are the most popular/best staple veggies for them.
no offense but it is all water! I have bred and kept dragons for years! it has zero nutrition but will not hurt them. Not to start crap but it will not hurt them at all! I never fed mine iceberg as it has nothing to it! romaine is the most available stuff by me. and if you are looking for good supply place try the bean farm! great prices and they have everything!

best of luck guys keep the pics coming!

Planet Eclipse/Valken/DXS/KEE/DYE/MacDev/MAPL/OXCC/PPSC/R an M/Legacy Paintball/CRU

Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 AM #81
playxball

http://beanfarm.com/product_info.php...oducts_id=5951

skeetzy you can use repti sand it is made to keep dragons..aspen as well! aspen can easily be digested. all of my snakes are on aspen and all of my dragons were always kept on sand! Just play sand!

Is it good for them idk...they dont live on carpet in the wild do they? but be careful with crix...always remove the water dish when feeding. for some reason crix end up in the water and your dragons will get sick if they drink the water!

I kept 20 plus adults on sand and hatched over 400 babies a month. I fed only roaches and greens. also some dry food but it is tough to get adults to take it fresh. babies will start on it and then it is great for them.

enjoy your dragons they are awesome! they all have there own personality. check www.kingsnake.com goto the forums ask questions there!

Old 06-19-2011, 12:37 AM #82
T1tanrush
Team Green

I agree with the above statement. While lettuce certainly will not harm the beardy- it isn't a good food source. I frequently use it to substitute beardies when I'm in a jam between other greens. I've never had ill effects from it.

Most dehydration or diarrhea is from poor husbandry, not lettuce.
My tea's gone cold I'm wondering why I.. got out of bed at all The morning rain clouds up my window.. and I can't see at all And even if I could it'd all be gray, but your picture on my wall It reminds me, that it's not so bad, it's not so bad.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:34 AM #83
playxball

T1tanrush dehydration or diarrhea is poor husbandry and comes from keeping water in your cage while feeding crix. I cant remember the name of the disease but it is bad and causes them to stop drinking and gives them the serious poops!

Old 06-19-2011, 11:02 AM #84
T1tanrush
Team Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by playxball View Post
T1tanrush dehydration or diarrhea is poor husbandry and comes from keeping water in your cage while feeding crix. I cant remember the name of the disease but it is bad and causes them to stop drinking and gives them the serious poops!
Dehydration and Diarrhea can come from a number of different problems with husbandry, not just the above.