Community Focus

Old 01-20-2014, 12:50 PM #1
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

has been a member for 10 years
akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
So I got another dane...sorta

The wife and I are fostering, indefinitely, a pure bred Euro that goes by the name of Lou. He's 5 months old and ****ing ADORABLE. I'm trying to get good pictures, but he's always laying on one of us.

Any other dane owners in here? Just curious if you guys have dealt with agression issues with your dogs. My dane, Achilles, was attacked by a pitbull when he was about a year old. Fortunately, the trained hunter in him came out, and he left the bout with a few minor puncture wounds. The unregistered and intact pit, later found to be illegal in the area, was killed. Since then, Achilles has been rather odd around new dogs. Our vet calls it defensive aggression and says it is completely normal. Still sad

Anywho, lots of pictures to come and I hope to see pictures of your danes!
OSTT GURU
akward silence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2014, 08:31 PM #2
akward silence
Deep Sea Diving

has been a member for 10 years
akward silence is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
akward silence is a top reviewer
Achilles (black/white), Lou (White/Black/Blue), and me (White)

OSTT GURU
akward silence is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:57 AM #3
ripdisc

ripdisc supports Cereal Killerz 2
ripdisc helped look for balloons
ripdisc is playing at Living Legends VII
ripdisc owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I have a south African boerboel (mastiff). she is super dog aggressive. We have another dog she is generally fine with but every now and then they get into it. She was socialized a TON but when she got to be about 3 she just became super alpha around any other dogs. I am just aware of it and don't let her around other dogs. Not worth it. She is super around people just doesn't want anything to do with dogs. We make sure and enforce that she is the alpha between the two dogs and they are generally fine.

did your dog kill the pit or was it put down after the incident? I love danes and mastiffs in general. My dog used to play with a big harlequin dane all the time. they would toss each other around and draw crowds occasionally knocking spectators over lol.

my wife is a vet and I have talked to dog behaviorists and I know trainers who have published books. I have also read tons of books on dog behavior. best advice is usually to make sure you are the boss and be aware if you have a big man stopper of a dog of what they are capable of. breaking up a dog fight is a pretty ****ty situation to find yourself in!
Gladiator Dogs or anything by it's author Carl Semencic are really great books but out of print and getting very expensive.

The Ripdisc Collection
ripdisc is offline   Reply With Quote