PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-22-2011, 11:46 PM #64
ayabrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
This is the truest post in this thread.

Everyone is going to label all of the games that were around when they were of similar age to everyone else. There's a point in one's life when things are new and impressionable to you. You will forever remember these games because of this. Simply reading through this thread provides more than enough evidence to prove this. Everyone is pointing towards games that were out when they were of the same age demographic. While some people were playing the brand spanking new Frogger at this age, others reached that age when games like Counter-Strike first came out.

There is no golden age of gaming. Gaming continues to grow with fun and innovative ideas every single year. Just because a formula was found (much like in the music industry) to sell games well does not mean that the creativity has been hindered in other games.
Ya. I heard people refer to the arcade/twin galaxy days as the "golden age".
ayabrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2011, 01:01 AM #65
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsAction View Post
Even in the beggning of WoW [when i played] quest NPC's were still highlighted, in EQ you might spend 20 minutes looking for an NPC in the back corner of a bar

Ever MMORPG DOES copy the WoW model of getting to the highest level as quick as possible, this will always be the nature of MMORPG's from now on, until somone comes up with a completely different MMORPG model that does not rely on being the level cap to achieve end-game content.

running 2 hours to get somewhere might seem "stupid and boring" to you, but to run through a zone you'd never seen, and might not see for another 30 levels, to get to your goal was an experiance, and a fun one at that.
Not to be a Guild Wars fanboy here, but GW is nothing like that.

Level 20 cap. As a noob that takes a week to get to. As an exp player it takes 3 or so hours.

"Max" weapons are easy to find. "Perfect", ****ty skinned weapons are 2-3k (penny ****).

Guild Wars was and is ALL about player skill. Which is probably why it's dead. It was more about micro managing you skills and using them right than your level or weapons.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 AM #66
solrflare

Annual Supporting Member
solrflare is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
solrflare donated to help Peyton Trent
Why has Oregon Trail not been mentioned either? I played the **** out of that game when I was in third grade.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Emerson
The AR is like a prom queen. The AK is like a biker chick. Treat both accordingly.
solrflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:27 AM #67
DiStUrBeD-SoP-
We want the airwaves back

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrflare View Post
Why has Oregon Trail not been mentioned either? I played the **** out of that game when I was in third grade.
Because this is an opinion thread and the other people have bad opinions

trollface.jpeg
DiStUrBeD-SoP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:36 AM #68
GlittermekaiN
Propah Noize

GlittermekaiN has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit

'Sup?
Old 01-23-2011, 01:52 AM #69
SportsAction (Banned)

Thosssseeeeeeee Werrreeeeeeee Theeeeeeee DAYS MY FRIEND, WE'D THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END, WE'D SING AND DANCE, FOREVER AND A DAY!
SportsAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:47 AM #70
That one Dude
Banned 08'er

Planetside anyone?
That one Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 08:59 AM #71
Tiberian
1 case most likely 1 kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by solrflare View Post
Game: "John has Hay Fever, what do you do?"
1. Keep going
2. Make camp
3. Ask for help from the Indians

Me: 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 11111111111111111

Game: "You've encountered a river, what do you do?"
1. Cross here
2. Go around
3. Make barges

Me: 111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111

Game: "You failed to cross the river. You lost 3 oxen and both John and Sally died. What do you do?"
1. Keep going
2. Bury them
3. Turn around

Me: 11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111

That's how you play Oregon Trail
Tiberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:28 AM #72
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlittermekaiN View Post

'Sup?
ZORK isnt even old it came out when black ops came out

u are dum, u are so dum

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitard View Post
The fact anyone thinks that anything N64 or later is the "Golden Age" is kind of sad. I guess it's mainly due to the generational gap and that's what you know, but being a gamer since I was a kid in the early 80's (we had a Balley Mastercade and bought the NES the summer it came out in 1985-1986) I've seen every iteration of gaming from the ATARI systems to motion controlled Kinectimals (my daughter loves this thing).

The Golden Age was the late 80's and early 90's. When it was mainstream enough to be wildly popular, and it was just getting to the point where they were taken seriously as a platform.

NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis... that's about it. I agree with titles above like SMB, MT Punch Out (still love it!), Castlevania, Skate or Die, but also games like 720, Super Mario Brothers 3, Street Fighter 2, buying a light for your Gameboy so you can see it in the dark, Mortal Kombat being so controversial, the original NBA Jam, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo Power being your only gaming magazine choice, etc.

Hollywood trying to finally hit the gamer demographic with movies like The Wizard (still have it) and Super Mario Brothers (WTF was that about) coming out. When you couldn't just get on the net to find info. I remember watching The Wizard in the theatres and me and all my friends being BLOWN AWAY when we learned SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 3 was coming out since that's how they announced it.

There are lots of great games for other systems, and the PC... but the golden age was definitely the late 80's and early 90's.
This.

Dont forget that somehow every kid in america knew that if your NES game didnt work, you had to blow in it, and every kid had their own method of blowing in it and if you didnt do it exactly the same every time the game wouldnt work until you did.

My method was to blow once across really fast, then back the other way kinda slow, then put my tshirt over it and blow back and forth. It worked perfect every time on my games, but for some reason on my friends games only his method worked

I still wonder how the hell we all knew that yet there was no internet...

Last edited by MutR. : 01-23-2011 at 10:38 AM.
MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 AM #73
LastarsonisT
I only have one rule...

has been a member for 10 years
LastarsonisT is a Paintball photographer
I can't help but laugh at how serious some individuals take this type of thread, or how the relentlessly belabor their opinion based points by repeating the same information over, and over, and over, and over, and over.

Also...

Played the **** out of these during my "Golden Age of Gaming".

"Photography is about showing who you are, not about who is in front of the lens." - Jerry Ghionis

Fotos
PhotoMOB
LastarsonisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:44 AM #74
MutR.
Shut up.

The Golden Age is the first generation of something. Period. These kids posting WoW and Diablo are not any part of the golden age period.

From Wikipedia
The term Golden Age (Χρυσόν Γένος) comes from Greek mythology and legend and refers to the first in a sequence of four or five (or more) Ages of Man, in which the Golden Age is first, followed in sequence, by the Silver, Bronze, and Iron Ages, and then the present, a period of decline. By extension "Golden Age" denotes a period of primordial peace, harmony, stability, and prosperity.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:02 PM #75
Fappuccino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
The Golden Age is the first generation of something. Period. These kids posting WoW and Diablo are not any part of the golden age period.

From Wikipedia
The term Golden Age (Χρυσόν Γένος) comes from Greek mythology and legend and refers to the first in a sequence of four or five (or more) Ages of Man, in which the Golden Age is first, followed in sequence, by the Silver, Bronze, and Iron Ages, and then the present, a period of decline. By extension "Golden Age" denotes a period of primordial peace, harmony, stability, and prosperity.
Just leave.
Fappuccino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:11 PM #76
ayabrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fappuccino View Post
Just leave.
Besides, he's wrong. Everybody knows cathode ray tube devices were the golden age of video games!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:15 PM #77
MutR.
Shut up.

Quote:
Just leave.
oh bro i usually get mad when people prove me wrong too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayabrae View Post
Besides, he's wrong. Everybody knows cathode ray tube devices were the golden age of video games!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:20 PM #78
Fappuccino

Quote:

Why am I mad? OP is not meaning the literal definition of "The Golden Age".

It's great that you know how to use Wikipedia but no one here really cares.

You're just butthurt because you never knew what Diablo was until it past it's peak.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:23 PM #79
ayabrae

Quote:

Well, by your own definition you're wrong..
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM #80
MutR.
Shut up.

Quote:
Why am I mad? OP is not meaning the literal definition of "The Golden Age".

It's great that you know how to use Wikipedia but no one here really cares.

You're just butthurt because you never knew what Diablo was until it past it's peak.
No. I never had the urge to play diablo at all. The fact of the matter is that my mom used to work for Vivendi Universal/Blizzard and i could (and did) get basically whatever game i wanted. That being said, those games bored me to death so i told my mom to stop bringing them home for me. I guarantee i know more and have been more connected with the video game industry than you ever will.

My mother knows more about video games than you and that makes me LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayabrae View Post
Well, by your own definition you're wrong..
I find it funny that the only other guy thats even slightly involved with the video game industry agrees with me. Hmm.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:45 PM #81
ayabrae

What? You might be the dumbest poster on this forum...
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM #82
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA

zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by That one Dude View Post
Planetside anyone?
Damn man, PS was awesome. I was on Emerald (I think it was called?) and I was a member of the Black Widow Company. The operations we had made that game hella fun.

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:01 PM #83
Fappuccino

Quote:
No. I never had the urge to play diablo at all. The fact of the matter is that my mom used to work for Vivendi Universal/Blizzard and i could (and did) get basically whatever game i wanted. That being said, those games bored me to death so i told my mom to stop bringing them home for me. I guarantee i know more and have been more connected with the video game industry than you ever will.

My mother knows more about video games than you and that makes me LOL

I find it funny that the only other guy thats even slightly involved with the video game industry agrees with me. Hmm.
Dang bro, it's just video games. You take this to heart, huh?

Well, I would hope your mom would know more about video games than I. Seeing as how I wasn't around for the early ages of Atari and such. (SNES was first for games for me)
I only play games, I don't revolve my life around them. Again, they're just games.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:06 PM #84
zellthemedic
GRAAAAAAA

zellthemedic helped look for balloons
zellthemedic is playing at Living Legends III
zellthemedic owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
zellthemedic is for the Gunfight
zellthemedic has achieved Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
Quote:
Dang bro, it's just video games. You take this to heart, huh?

Well, I would hope your mom would know more about video games than I. Seeing as how I wasn't around for the early ages of Atari and such. (SNES was first for games for me)
I only play games, I don't revolve my life around them. Again, they're just games.
I have doubts his mom works for Blizz anyways.

Actually, no, I take that back. She probably does. They probably do need someone to make sandwiches/give blowjobs because the devs are too busy rushing out ****ty, unfinished games.

UNITED STATES NAVY
zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote