Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 01-21-2011, 12:34 PM #1
UNK (Banned)

Golden Age of Gaming

Video games these days are terrible. Even the good ones are only seem good because everything else around them sucks. If you dont agree with me than you obviously didnt grow up in the golden age of gaming. And anyone that did grow up in this generation will agree. I have compiled a list of the great games of the golden age of gaming. I am sure I am leaving some out so please add any more for nostalgic purposes.

1999 TEAM FORTRESS CLASSICS

1999 STAR CRAFT

1999 EVERQUEST

2000 DIABLO 2

2000 COUNTER STRIKE

2002 WARCRAFT 3

2004 WORLD OF WARCRAFT

2004 HALO 2

I based my list around online only games, I am sure I left out some gems but for anyone who was lucky enough to game it up during those days I know you feel me on this. Gaming just isnt the same anymore.
UNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM #2
jcdenton69
****ter King

has been a member for 10 years
No MW2? this list sucks. Old games are ****.
jcdenton69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:51 PM #3
Wango_Tango
AH MOTHERLAND!!!!

Wango_Tango is a Supporting Member
back before regenerative health

"Originally posted by §Galactus§You should sig me again. That way, when everyone looks at your signature, they would be like "Holy **** that dude is so awesome he got sigged twice" It would be espically awesome if you sigged this post. So that people who read your sig will be confused as well as amazed

I know, right?
Old 01-21-2011, 12:55 PM #4
patsrule711
I'm the Assman

patsrule711 is playing at Living Legends III
patsrule711 owns a Planet Eclipse Etek
patsrule711 supports Team VICIOUS
patsrule711 is for the Gunfight
Zelda Ocarina of Time is a ****ing classic
Got two rides, a limousine with a chauffeur
patsrule711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM #5
UNK (Banned)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton69 View Post
sorry i prefer games that take team work and precison aiming not holding trigger in general direction of enemy
UNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:57 PM #6
Kanvass
Ballistic Missionary

Kanvass supports Cereal Killerz 2
Kanvass donated to help Peyton Trent
Kanvass supports Bob Gurnsey
Kanvass supports our troops
Gaming is what you make of it.

Honestly, EQ bored me to tears. Halo2 was proprietary and WC3 was a complete let down from WC2, even if it had "3D modelling" (what do you mean I can only have 20 models?)... Diablo 2 was decent, but a bit of a boring click-fest after a while. Starcraft was great to come home to after work, but online play suffered with a lot of hacks, so that got old unless you knew someone to game with. No mention of Quake3, I see. No story, but online play was fast and furious.

There were a lot of good games in 1999-2000, but there are plenty of good games with decent story lines that have come out recently. If you're jaded to them, for some starry-eyed yesteryear, then there's really no reason to play games from this era.

Your list is cute, I'll give you that. There are a lot of successful games in it. I'm sure for someone in the 20-29 year old range, it's probably the stuff they came home from school to play, but for those of us who actually remember when they played their first text-based computer game, when the story was key and not what the screen looked like, I can say they've actually started to come back around to something a bit more fun for the single player and have (with SC2, for example) come up with some good stuff for the multiplayer. TF2 isn't that bad for twitch gamers, really. Though, twitch-gaming is the same all over, just the weapons change, IMO.

"He who will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not is a slave." - Sir William Drummond

Old Feedback
Kanvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:48 PM #7
DayoftheGreek
I hate you

Just to put this in perspective, an entire generation of kids is growing up now who will think katy perry, lady gaga, and kesha are the golden age of music.

Just because it was around when you were young and impressionable doesn't make it better. Diablo 2 is the best game ever though, so props for getting that one right.

1/30/08: I was there when the plane flew but everyone was still stupid.
DayoftheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:50 PM #8
coreyeroc
:] [:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post

Just because it was around when you were young and impressionable doesn't make it better.
thank you

coreyeroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:12 PM #9
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Too bad the Golden age of gaming didnt include any of those game.

This is the real golden age of gaming:

i know im forgetting some greats, and there are also a lot of SNES games that were amazing during the golden age

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:27 PM #10
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

You left out Unreal Tournament 2004. Had no singleplayer but it won GOTY for a reason.

Honestly? Golden age of gaming was probably the SNES-N64 days. I still hook up my nintendo sometimes for a game of star fox or super smash bros. Back then, games were fun. They had to be.

But it's been said, there's good games out now too. CoD 4 can be considered recent. BFBC2 is nice. A lot of games now are geared towards mulitplayer and not singleplayer. Why? Because the market wants it. So you either have an all singleplayer with ****ty MP, amazing MP with little to subpar SP, or a decent mixture of both.

All SP with little MP - Crysis
All MP with little SP - UT04
Mixture of both - MW2 (by that, I mean all the uhh challenges and whatnot)

I'm as guilty as anyone about playing my old rollercoaster tycoon and 1602 AD from time to time because they're great games that are timeless but that doesn't mean games now suck, just means they're geared towards a different generation; one with fast internet speeds that can game on the go even.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery

Last edited by Rampager2000 : 01-21-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:29 PM #11
MutR.
Shut up.

MutR. helped look for balloons
MutR. posts videos on PbNation
MutR. is reppin' sidebar 4 life
the only recent game ive found so far with a great mixture of single player and multiplayer is borderlands.

MutR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:38 PM #12
Volucris
asmuchtextastheywillallow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutR. View Post
the only recent game ive found so far with a great mixture of single player and multiplayer is borderlands.
That game is digital Ritalin for a kid with ADHD. It's extremely repetitive.
Volucris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:59 PM #13
Arg
YAR HAR FLIBGRBY

socom 2, d2 series, and wc3 series were the best games ive played.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanvass View Post
Gaming is what you make of it.

Honestly, EQ bored me to tears. Halo2 was proprietary and WC3 was a complete let down from WC2, even if it had "3D modelling" (what do you mean I can only have 20 models?)... Diablo 2 was decent, but a bit of a boring click-fest after a while. Starcraft was great to come home to after work, but online play suffered with a lot of hacks, so that got old unless you knew someone to game with.
i completely disagree with you. if u think wc3 was a let down then u must have not finished the game or played online. Wc3 series was far superior to the previous. ive played 1-4 and 3/4 were the best. just from customs games, there were games created and marketed today Ex. DOTA (which made LOL, HON, and dota 2). u just must have not used wc3 to the fullest. D2 series was a explosion of amazingness. come on. once again, if u didnt like it it had to be cuz u didnt play online and didnt finish the game norm-hell. if u got bored with those two games then find freinds. thats what makes it such a good game. u can play single play then move to online and completely experience something new. trading, leveling, PVM, PVP. just trying to be the best is what drives it. if u dont have any competitiveness and time then i guess i can see how u might not like it.

also socom 2 was a hell of a game. code 9 and switchers anyone?
Pharmacy 2016
Arg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:39 PM #14
ayabrae

Greek nailed it: Just because it was around when you were young and impressionable doesn't make it better. Diablo 2 is the best game ever though, so props for getting that one right.
ayabrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 04:42 PM #15
CameronY
*907*

CameronY is a Supporting Member
CameronY supports our troops
CameronY is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
MMORPG are gay
whole lot of anger, I earned my living as an Airborne Ranger..""
Originally Posted by ZeroOrDie913
"just did some more research. both were a 1 time release, in what was basically a dick measuring contest to make the strongest beer ever."

My Feedback
CameronY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:00 PM #16
Grim~
Whysosrs?

Annual Supporting Member
n64 and ps1 games are the golden age of game,dreamcast too.
Grim~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:12 PM #17
digitard
GregRedHastings.com

Annual Supporting Member
digitard works for a Paintball manufacturer
digitard plays in the APPA beginner division
digitard is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
digitard supports Empire
The fact anyone thinks that anything N64 or later is the "Golden Age" is kind of sad. I guess it's mainly due to the generational gap and that's what you know, but being a gamer since I was a kid in the early 80's (we had a Balley Mastercade and bought the NES the summer it came out in 1985-1986) I've seen every iteration of gaming from the ATARI systems to motion controlled Kinectimals (my daughter loves this thing).

The Golden Age was the late 80's and early 90's. When it was mainstream enough to be wildly popular, and it was just getting to the point where they were taken seriously as a platform.

NES, Gameboy, SNES, Genesis... that's about it. I agree with titles above like SMB, MT Punch Out (still love it!), Castlevania, Skate or Die, but also games like 720, Super Mario Brothers 3, Street Fighter 2, buying a light for your Gameboy so you can see it in the dark, Mortal Kombat being so controversial, the original NBA Jam, Super Dodge Ball, Nintendo Power being your only gaming magazine choice, etc.

Hollywood trying to finally hit the gamer demographic with movies like The Wizard (still have it) and Super Mario Brothers (WTF was that about) coming out. When you couldn't just get on the net to find info. I remember watching The Wizard in the theatres and me and all my friends being BLOWN AWAY when we learned SUPER MARIO BROTHERS 3 was coming out since that's how they announced it.

There are lots of great games for other systems, and the PC... but the golden age was definitely the late 80's and early 90's.
digitard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:21 PM #18
liarscenic
Rebel Without Applause

most people let nostalgia get in the way of better judgement. some of these games if you went back and tried to play them you'd get bored or think it sucks. not all, but some. i don't believe in a "golden age of gaming" all the time periods had good games and bad games, some had more than others.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:23 PM #19
Tiberian
1 case most likely 1 kill

I dont care how many other games you list, diablo 2 owns a top 5 spot on that list.
Tiberian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:03 PM #20
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdenton69 View Post
MW2 is one of the worst additions to the COD franchise

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:07 PM #21
gamer565
*****es love cannons!

Annual Supporting Member
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VI
gamer565 is playing at Living Legends VII
gamer565 posts videos on PbNation
gamer565 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
gamer565 has achieved Level 6 in PbNation Pursuit
gamer565 is one of the top 100 posters on PbNation
gamer565 is Boss
What no Red Alert 2/Yuri's? duke nukem? Age of empires?

gamer565 is online now   Reply With Quote