Community Focus

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:01 PM #1
Umami
"That guy"

Umami works for a Paintball manufacturer
Umami supports our troops
Political Rhetoric

Instead of continuing to clutter the thread about the tragedy in Arizona with argument and debate -who am I kidding, argument- over political rhetoric, I figured I would give it a home. While the topic was brought up by the shooting, this thread isn't about the shooting or any causation between the two. Please keep it that way.

My position is that while everyone is entitled to fully exercise their right to free speech, people in the public spotlight have a responsibility to those they lead to take care in what they say. This isn't a legal issue, I'm not suggesting anyone should be censored. It's a matter of being just plain civil. It is our fault the debate has gotten this heated, because we give these people our attention. A governing body should not limit free speech. But as a society, this should be intolerable and entirely unacceptable.

Those who espouse the proper function of free markets should take note. Our speech is the least regulated market in the country, and rightly so, but look where market forces have driven it.

To lead off with an example of the insanity, one of my friends posted this on facebook, and I couldn't help but once again laugh at Beck and anyone that still pays attention to him:

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2010/1...ng-terrorists/

There's really no argument that he is just plain wrong, and playing the numbers to incite fear and hatred among his viewers. He's making **** up as he says it. And while I'll defend his right to say whatever he wants, that same right extends to me to call him - and anyone that still listens to him - a ****ing idiot. Anyone feel like trying to defend him this time?

At least Olbermann acknowleges when he's crossed the line, even if his apology was a little lackluster.

http://vodpod.com/watch/2916941-olbe...t-taken-sorry-

Last edited by Umami : 01-15-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Closed Thread