PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-26-2010, 11:39 PM #1
randyshipp

ICE Epic after all these years?

(This is cross-posted from MCB)

I've been asking for advice over in the New Players area about buying a semi marker to supplement my lightly-Palmerized Piranha LB and my Phantom VSC. To paraphrase, my priorities are, in rough order:

- Accuracy
- Reliability/Consistency
- Price
- Light weight
- Ability to run on CO2 until I can get HPA
- ROF (in other words, high ROF is basically my lowest priority)
- Quirkiness...I like unusual markers

After some searching around (and seeing this great video by cockerpunk about it), I'm interested in learning more about the ICE Epic. I'd especially love to hear the opinions of folks who have owned and used them for some time, so if you know someone with one of these, please tell them to come take a look and respond.

First off, do you guys (especially ICE Epic owners) buy the argument made over in New Players that any paintball gun can be very accurate if it's clean and has a great paint-to-bore match? If so, then I don't guess it's all that worthwhile to ask about the Epic's accuracy, since the answer will just be "get a Freak kit and a good barrel and you'll drive tacks." But let me know if you have another opinion.

My big reason for wanting to hear from long-time Epic users/owners is that the gun violates my "Price is a priority" rule, so I want to make damn sure that it doesn't violate my "Reliability is a priority" rule! I want to know how well it's held up under months or years of use. As a bit of an odd duck in the paintball world, it's not like there'll be dozens of airsmiths ready to work on it, nor will there be a ton of replacement parts available, nor lots of upgrades to add to it to make up for eventual faults. Therefore, I want to know in advance what it is I'll be getting.

So, let me hear from ya!

Randy...
randyshipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:02 PM #2
majinebz

has been a member for 10 years
Ehh, that kid and his "old school" reviews. Most the crap he shows is not old school at all!!

Have you not gone to the website? http://www.icepaintball.com/

Accuracy is going to depend on your barrel setup the most.
There are 2 setups you can use for your trap doors. The pro which actually has a fin that pushes the ball into the bore of your barrel. Recommended if using a barrel kit. Then there is the sizer kits which allow you to match the paint to your breech. There are several different thickness doors and they will "match" the paint to your breech (of the marker)

I have not tested the door sizers yet. I just got em in from Jim a few days ago. So I do not know the difference in accuracy between the trap door pro.

Dependability/reliability: Its built like a tank.

Price: 475 new. Seen sell for as low as 200 for used DV8s

CO2 or HPA. YES and BOTH.

ROF: this is a mechanical marker and it is not a walkable trigger. Its more like a classic mag without a ULE or RT valve installed. You'll be lucky to pull over 8bps.

quirkiness?? I dont understand this.
majinebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:07 AM #3
hill160881
fire power my friends

Ok first off the ice epic is one of the best mechanical markers ever. I say this after 20 years of paintball. You will never use a blow back again. It WILL NOT CHOP. Yes I said NOT CHOP, ever.

It is accurate but has a problem of requiring you to bore match your paint, to prevent role outs like with a cocker. It is very light, like 2 lbs, it has no macro lines or lines of any kind.

If you have a problem ice is still in business and they will bend over backwards to fix the problem. They totally rebuilt mine and also milled it for the newer trap door, also he dug through his stuff over at ice and found the last green barrel they had and sold it to me for $25. the cost all in all was not bad.

also they look great and have a top rate anodized finish. This is #E1A00082, so its pretty old and the finish is still smooth and glossy.

The only down fall is they are expensive.
hill160881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:05 PM #4
iamthelazerviking

I have been interested in buying one for years. When they come up for sale they either go too quickly or I don't have the money to spend. To the point now where I'll add to my credit card debt...want one badly!
iamthelazerviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 PM #5
the_mag_guy

I've been trying to nab one for two years now and every time I just barely miss it.
the_mag_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 01:31 PM #6
buttsakauf

I'm trying to get a hold of him. I'm bound and determined to make it happen.
buttsakauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 PM #7
iamthelazerviking

I have been in and out of paintball for a long time. I think if I came across one of these for a good price I'd only use that, and stay with the game.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:52 PM #8
Dredgen
Stockclass

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttsakauf View Post
I'm trying to get a hold of him. I'm bound and determined to make it happen.
Same here. I haven't heard any thing back yet. Would really love to pick one up.
Dredgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM #9
iamthelazerviking

I have heard he is very hard to get a hold of and it takes up to a month (maybe longer) to receive one.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:39 PM #10
iamthelazerviking

A few months ago I posted in a WTB on a different forum for an Epic. Got a response and it was just what I wanted...DV-8, flat black, single trigger and vertical feed. I gave him an offer and asked what he thought. About a day or two went by without a response and then he told me he was going to hang on to it...I don't blame him at all. But that was as close as I have ever been to owning one.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:50 PM #11
jrkoop
Koop

jrkoop owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
jrkoop is for the Gunfight
I just bought one. Am going to try it out tomorrow.
jrkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 06:29 PM #12
DozerX

Name your price

I want one so bad. Ive been calling ICE and emailing him for 3 months now with no answer. If anyone has one I will pay top dollar for a flat black dv8 or original (double trigger), but I would be will make an offer on any model anyone may have. contact me if you have any info pweaklan@kent.edu.

Thank you all.
DozerX is offline   Reply With Quote