Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-20-2010, 11:13 PM #1
grantiscool
Ars longa, vita brevis

grantiscool plays in the PSP
grantiscool plays in the APPA D3 division
In Regard to the Open Division:

Tapper, I would like you to explain your logic behind having no series prizes and sub-par event prizes for the open division. I'm not 100% sure who you are targeting with the Open Division, because there are really no incentives for anyone to play every event for the entire season. Even from the perspective of playing a single event, I just don't understand what you think is going to pull teams into the open division in the first place. All the teams relegated out of "msxl division 3" have no motivation to play in the open division other than for the practice/trigger time against other teams, because your current cash “prizes” are laughable in comparison to the D3 series. This is especially confusing because you increased the D3 series prize by a considerable amount.

Your series prizes for the past two seasons have been rather exceptional in contrast to regional tournament series of the past. The series prize is what makes teams commit to a being a consistent team for the entire season. A series prize that pays entry to world cup will and has brought in teams and made them FIGHT for the ENTIRE season to win the series prize. Making teams stick together and fight it out for an entire season is THE essential part to making a paintball scene grow, and as you very well know, bringing in the big bucks. The approach you may be taking is simply focusing on your bread and butter, which is always going to be entry level Divisions (D4 and D3). These divisions are always going to have high turnouts because really anyone who plays paintball can play in these divisions with a little practice and not be destroyed by more experienced players and teams. It may seem pointless for you to support a higher division because it will yield fewer teams, but do you plan on having any teams playing your league in 3-4 years? Sure new players and teams are going to emerge, but you need to think about keeping you customers coming back. In 2-3 years the teams that are playing D4 and D3 right now are going to have no where play because they are going to get relegated as well if they keep playing the MSXL, which is what the MSXL is designed to do right? If you simply let it, the MSXL could swell to the size where the average number of teams playing each event is well into 30-40 teams. The only missing variable is the prizes, the teams and players already exist, you just need to give them what they want!

Personally I think the MSXL Open division is going to have a mild turnout, and COMPLETELY fizzle out by the end of the year. You tried to host the open division last year, and it never was facilitated due to lack of interest, which was due to poor prizes. Again, you simply will not have attendance at the end of your season without series prizes. Even when you had series prizes in 2009 and 2010 you had to implement double points for the last events of the season so teams would actually play the event (which is the absolute correct decision business wise). You will loose teams to the CTS, TPA, MWXL, and worst of all, to return to other teams in the MSXL as sandbaggers.

I think it would be foolish (of yourself) and inconsiderate (towards teams that have supported the MSXL since its inception) to not support the Open Division. All of the teams that have been relegated out of "MSXL Division 3" have been given a serious dose of reality as to what their options are for the 2011 season. It’s really simple business Darin, more volume, as in more teams paying you entry and buying more of your paint, equals more money towards your own bank account and more towards re-enforcing your own league. By not supporting the Open Division, you are going to lose essentially all of the teams that have been playing your league for two years to surrounding regional tournaments in surrounding states simply because of a lack of any adequate series prizes. And you will continue to lose teams every year you relegate them into a division with no series prizes. You have the opportunity of a lifetime to manage a regional paintball tournament series, and make a killing off of it.

I strongly believe you posses the resources know-how to facilitate a series prize for the open division. I'm not personally attacking you Darrin, I just think you need to need to stray away from your quasi-professional business tendencies and work a little harder for the greater good of the game which we all love, and for the greater good of your own pocketbook. You can’t get there unless you go there!
grantiscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 AM #2
saints11

saints11 plays in the PSP
saints11 supports Cereal Killerz 2
saints11 owns a Planet Eclipse Geo
saints11 plays in the APPA D2 division
words of wisdom..open is an expensive practice..which in turn is a massive waste of money for the people playing it sorry.

PG RISE>PG UNITED>PG RISE
saints11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:08 PM #3
Tapper

Have you read the event and series prize structure for Open?

$200 per entry to event prize with an additional $100 per entry to series prize.

8 x $200 is $1600 per event back to the team with another $800 per event put back for series prizes.

This is not D2 or any other PSP recognized division and does not qualify for Cup entry. Though if attendance is up around 8 teams per event the series champs will get enough cash to pay for Cup entry.

Spreading misinformation and this negative, false thread will not help attract more teams to increase Open payout.

Email: axpspaintball@bellsouth.net
MSXL Website: www.msxlevents.net

Last edited by Tapper : 12-21-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Tapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:17 PM #4
pookie12
PG is what made ME

pookie12 plays in the PSP
pookie12 plays in the APPA D3 division
pookie12 supports DLX Technology
I think for some reason players misread, or misunderstand the payout for the Outlaw division.

$1600 sounds good to me, now if we can only get 8 teams to play all year.
Xavier McCurry fan #2
Killing Fields Pb Media

2008 C.T.S. Series runner-up - 2009 S.E.P.S. Series Champion - 2010 MSXL Series Champion - 2011 MSXL Series Champion - 2012 MSXL Series Champion
pookie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM #5
saints11

no one is going around spreading misinformation lol we are in the msxl forum where we talk about this but once again thanks for clearing that up

Old 12-21-2010, 04:22 PM #6
Tapper

You, the players and teams have more influence on attendance than anything I can say or do.

Negative threads posted because someone didn't bother looking into the facts will not help build the Open or any division.

Seriously it took infinitely more time to write that post than to look up the thread "2011 Tentative Dates, Venues and Prizes"

Last edited by Tapper : 12-21-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 PM #7
grantiscool
Ars longa, vita brevis

You're only going to be able to pay out that ammout of cash under the condition that you fill out the open divion at every event for the entire year, which is doubtfull. If you had a definite series prize like you do for the other two divisions you will fill out the division at every event. Lets just see what happens.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:42 PM #8
grantiscool
Ars longa, vita brevis

Don't take my word for it here are the numbers strait up.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:08 PM #9
Tapper

$600 Outlaw Open Entry
-$300 Prize
-$200 Host

$100 remains

And we are supposed to pay for Refs, Hotels, gas, food.... With what?

New scoreboards and bunkers $15000... From where does this money come?

The idea behind the Open division is to allow the new D2 teams a chance to face stiff competition CEP D1-Pro, 3RD EYE D1 and like caliber teams before showing up to a National and getting your tails handed to you. If you think your team is going to walk through these teams you are probably going to be doing a lot more complaining...

It's organized competition at a very High Level with D2-Pro teams already showing interest and at a fraction of the cost of any other organized Race to 5 event on the planet. If your only reason to play is the prize, you have already lost. The MSXL is NOT about prizes. We are here to provide the most advanced formats in paintball at a high level of competition at a fraction of the price to other Leagues.

Take a look at the Race to 4 participation for all the affiliate Leagues. No other Regional Affiliate is even attempting Race to 5.

Last edited by Tapper : 12-21-2010 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 PM #10
saints11

woohooo lets just organize an expensive practice!! pay entry to have a practice sounds worth it to me..

Old 12-22-2010, 05:20 PM #11
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa

I think there is something that you players should consider: An improved prize package will only increase the amount of talent that will show up to the event. I think this tournament is a viable solution for any D2+ player looking for competition.

The problem we have in Ohio is that there is no league for our higher division players (D1+) to compete in. This is certainly an option. If you made the prizes much more appealing, then you attract high profile individuals, wouldn't you think? Whatever happened to playing for bragging rights?
OhIoCoNtRActKilLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:42 PM #12
Andocommando
Honey Badger don't care

has been a member for 10 years
Andocommando plays in the PSP
Andocommando plays in the APPA D3 division
Paintball is not about Prizes. Man up and play some cheap x-ball.

Thanks Darrin for having the best PSP-feeder series.

www.facebook.com/paintballarkansas
Andocommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:47 PM #13
c-mack

c-mack supports Cereal Killerz 2
c-mack donated to help Peyton Trent
c-mack owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andocommando View Post
who are you? lol
Old 12-22-2010, 06:35 PM #14
ladd_17
bA What?!?

ladd_17 is a Supporting Member
ladd_17 plays in the PSP
ladd_17 plays in the APPA D3 division
ladd_17 is Boss
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-mack View Post
who are you? lol
A dude who knows what's up apparently.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM #15
epidemic23

epidemic23 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by saints11 View Post
words of wisdom..open is an expensive practice..which in turn is a massive waste of money for the people playing it sorry.
Quote:
no one is going around spreading misinformation lol we are in the msxl forum where we talk about this but once again thanks for clearing that up
Quote:
woohooo lets just organize an expensive practice!! pay entry to have a practice sounds worth it to me..

Dude, stop making pointless negative posts with no helpful/useful/intelligent information in them.

Correct me if I'm wrong Darin, but I don't think the MSXL is basing its rules, structure, and everything else on the Open Division. MSXL is a PSP feeder series if you havent figured out, and unless your wanting to play D1/pro, there is no open PSP division. Now let's take what I just said and think about prizes for the open division. If MSXL was going to offer free entry to cup for a series prize, what division should that be? Pro? That'd be fun for you. I mean by the way your posting it seems that you are no doubt winning the series.
Think of the open division as a gift to all those ranked too high to play D3/D4, because with out it, you'd be almost completely out of luck.

-asa

PS - sweet excel skills

old_fb

Last edited by epidemic23 : 12-22-2010 at 08:10 PM.
epidemic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:24 PM #16
p8ntball1987
Nom Nom Nom

p8ntball1987 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
p8ntball1987 plays in the PSP
p8ntball1987 plays in the APPA D3 division
Expecting 8 open teams each event with small prizes is pretty far-fetched. You have to assume these teams have other national league obligations. Our area just cannot support a division of high caliber teams playing for pride.
So until paint companies start accepting pride to pay for cases of paint, I would consider a change.

but its whatever, I have no dog in this fight.
Grants excel skills are nice, so lets talk about that.
p8ntball1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM #17
saints11

Quote:
Originally Posted by epidemic23 View Post
Dude, stop making pointless negative posts with no helpful/useful/intelligent information in them.

Correct me if I'm wrong Darin, but I don't think the MSXL is basing its rules, structure, and everything else on the Open Division. MSXL is a PSP feeder series if you havent figured out, and unless your wanting to play D1/pro, there is no open PSP division. Now let's take what I just said and think about prizes for the open division. If MSXL was going to offer free entry to cup for a series prize, what division should that be? Pro? That'd be fun for you. I mean by the way your posting it seems that you are no doubt winning the series.
Think of the open division as a gift to all those ranked too high to play D3/D4, because with out it, you'd be almost completely out of luck.

-asa

PS - sweet excel skills
im not being negative im being realistic.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:57 PM #18
epidemic23

epidemic23 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
im not being negative im being realistic.
Be realistic by offering a realistic solution, if your brain is capable.

old_fb
epidemic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM #19
saints11

thats not up to me. talk to darin about that one

Old 12-22-2010, 09:19 PM #20
charmin
Austin PantheMan Setz #76

charmin plays in the PSP
charmin owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
charmin plays in the APPA D1 division
If there is an issue with not getting a good enough prize why don't you just not sign up. Which I'm not suggesting anyone do, but people complain so much and that is honestly the only thing you'll have control over.

ps: I'm one of the people who hates when some punkass kid who had never won a tournament tells me to play for pride...
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 PM #21
barndawg
Dirty South Killers Capt

barndawg supports Team VICIOUS
barndawg supports Team VICIOUS
barndawg posts videos on PbNation
barndawg plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andocommando View Post

Thanks Darrin for having the best PSP-feeder series.

Back Player Gang

Sponsored BY
PaintballBunkerOnline
http://www.paintballbunkeronline.com
barndawg is offline   Reply With Quote