Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck707 View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6SlzxUD71c
so, these guys have no idea what they're doing since it's blowing black smoke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UR-QT8-JAF0
or these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcQtDS-spWg
or these guys
Just because it's a deisel doesn't mean it has to smoke to be fast or make power, audi's tdi le mans car doesn't smoke and it won, I think...
greaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:08 PM #150
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL07 View Post
ITT: mad
I <3 Drifts
foolishfiendV.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:31 PM #151
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Diesels make power differently than Gasoline engines. They start producing black smoke lean of stoichiometric combustion. They still do continue to make power more power while belching out clouds, however with of rapidly increasing fuel consumption.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:37 PM #152
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClawHammer View Post
Diesels make power differently than Gasoline engines. They start producing black smoke lean of stoichiometric combustion. They still do continue to make power more power while belching out clouds, however with of rapidly increasing fuel consumption.
I <3 Drifts
Old 12-22-2010, 03:09 PM #153
armagedon_91
lets shoot at them guys

thats why its nice that all those trucks blowing smoke, can just switch their programmer and no more excessive black smoke blowing. flip it on to good ole fuel saving.
armagedon_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:14 PM #154
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by armagedon_91 View Post
thats why its nice that all those trucks blowing smoke, can just switch their programmer and no more excessive black smoke blowing. flip it on to good ole fuel saving.
and leave it there? lol
I <3 Drifts
Old 12-22-2010, 03:33 PM #155
armagedon_91
lets shoot at them guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishfiendV.2 View Post
and leave it there? lol
do whatever they feel. thats the positive to spending the money on your truck, if you wanna drive around being a jackass you can. but all my friends that drive diesels very rarely drive around blowing smoke, generally only when the little hick towns we live around are having there festivals and everybodys leaving for the night. it costs too much to drive around blowing smoke. the kids who do it all the time arent paying for there stuff. and if they somehow can afford to pay for it yay for them.
armagedon_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 PM #156
Flyersfan707
Bo$$ hog

Annual Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchuck707 View Post
Flyersfan707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:45 AM #157
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

lmao
I <3 Drifts
Old 12-23-2010, 12:18 PM #158
MaLfUnCtIoN3

Quote:
somehow I get the idea that if the truck blows smoke in the driveway, it will also blow smoke on the road...
um, going out on a limb here but most of the diesel programmers i've seen accomodate multiple tunes, meaning he could switch between this one and say, a more conservative one where less fuel is being dumped and therefore less black smoke is produced?

at least thats what the one is my brother duramax does, and the one in his buddies powerstroke does... and all the ones for sale online claim to do.
FEEDBACK
MaLfUnCtIoN3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:47 PM #159
FL07
On High Alert

I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he spent the money to tune for performance, he is going to use the performance tune on the road, not just in his driveway.
FL07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 PM #160
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

Quote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say if he spent the money to tune for performance, he is going to use the performance tune on the road, not just in his driveway.
lmao
I <3 Drifts
Old 12-23-2010, 10:09 PM #161
MaLfUnCtIoN3

Quote:
yeah, cause it makes perfect sense to use the least efficient mode for daily driving.

thats the whole point of programmers with multiple tunes; so you can switch to maximize different things like torque, efficiency, etc. he was obviously doing that for show, hence the camera being present. come on FL, i know you are smart enough to understand this. i've read your posts, you are no dim bulb.

EDIT: as for the op's truck, i like it. not amazing but i'd drive it. is it a turbo model? i'm pretty sure they offered a turbo at some point on those engines. i'm not a fan of the paint though, but i would drive it. i'll try to get a good pic up of my brothers duramax, but im guessing it will be hated on for having a stack, despite the rest of the work done to it. i've always wanted a diesel anything, truck or car. i just like the ability to provide more power for the same or better mileage, as well as the reliability of them (assuming one takes care of it properly and it doesnt have any major design flaws). i'ma big fan of the older body styles though when they were more boxy looking. i dont like the way they look now as much.
FEEDBACK

Last edited by MaLfUnCtIoN3 : 12-23-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 PM #162
Featherlite 07
straight cash homie

Featherlite 07 is playing at Living Legends III
Featherlite 07 is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
he may not use it all the time, but he wouldn't have bought it if he was never going to use performance mode on the street. That would make zero sense. I am not even arguing whether smoke on the street is annoying or makes you a douche, or hurts performance because of unburnt fuel, or any of that. I am only saying this:

don't post a picture of a truck blowing a huge cloud of black smoke and then say "good thing no one was behind him in his driveway," or whatever, as if to imply it's never used on the street. That's like me posting a vid of a loud stereo in my driveway and then saying "good thing I wasn't on the street to annoy anyone." Obviously if you spent the money, you're going to use it. That argument was so weak, I had to call him on it.

2010 Audi S4
2006 BMW M5 (Sold)
ST:A - We pass school busses at 140

"That is the unmistakable low rumble of a turbocharged flat 4, which signals the imminent arrival of a moron." -J. Clarkson
Featherlite 07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 AM #163
MaLfUnCtIoN3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featherlite 07 View Post
he may not use it all the time, but he wouldn't have bought it if he was never going to use performance mode on the street. That would make zero sense. I am not even arguing whether smoke on the street is annoying or makes you a douche, or hurts performance because of unburnt fuel, or any of that. I am only saying this:

don't post a picture of a truck blowing a huge cloud of black smoke and then say "good thing no one was behind him in his driveway," or whatever, as if to imply it's never used on the street. That's like me posting a vid of a loud stereo in my driveway and then saying "good thing I wasn't on the street to annoy anyone." Obviously if you spent the money, you're going to use it. That argument was so weak, I had to call him on it.
he may take it to the strip on occasion. i know several strips that run diesel days. as for the stereo, it has the capability to be used on the street, but just cause your stereo can hit 170db doesnt mean you run it that way all the time. no point in buying a seperate car just to compete in stereo contests.

i honestly dont see why he would choose to piss away diesel fuel (which is pretty pricey last time i checked) when he doesnt have to. now if he does do that just to cover someone in soot, yeah thats a douchebag thing to do (unless the guy was riding his ***, in which case he deserved it). but in the circumstances that we know he used it in (his driveway), he's entirely fine to do that.

but i get what your saying and i understand you arent blindly hating like foolishfiend is.
FEEDBACK
Old 12-24-2010, 12:54 AM #164
ClawHammer
Kraft durch Freude

ClawHammer is a Supporting Member
Like I said before, diesels are a different technology. They'll pump soot before hitting optimal A/F ratios. Unlike gas burners which do so when running rich.
ClawHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:08 AM #165
bigchuck707

bigchuck707 owns a Planet Eclipse Lv1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN3 View Post

EDIT: as for the op's truck, i like it. not amazing but i'd drive it. is it a turbo model? i'm pretty sure they offered a turbo at some point on those engines. i'm not a fan of the paint though, but i would drive it. i'll try to get a good pic up of my brothers duramax, but im guessing it will be hated on for having a stack, despite the rest of the work done to it. i've always wanted a diesel anything, truck or car. i just like the ability to provide more power for the same or better mileage, as well as the reliability of them (assuming one takes care of it properly and it doesnt have any major design flaws). i'ma big fan of the older body styles though when they were more boxy looking. i dont like the way they look now as much.
this was the idi that didn't come turbo but it has the banks sidewinder turbo on it. it doesn't put out a lot of boost but it gets the job done.

yea, i really like the body style just after mine but i found this truck for a good price so i couldn't pass it up. not to mention the motor and trans only have 60k on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLfUnCtIoN3 View Post
i just like the ability to provide more power for the same or better mileage, as well as the reliability of them
thought you might appreciate this article i wrote for a local paper

bigchuck707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 AM #166
F1VENOM

20 to 40 percent more efficient.....

Cool article but way to not present both sides of the coin.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:26 PM #167
foolishfiendV.2
RWDFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1VENOM View Post
20 to 40 percent more efficient.....

Cool article but way to not present both sides of the coin.
hes single minded. BLACCCCKKKKK SMOOKEEEEEEEEEE!!!!1!1!!!!1!!!1
I <3 Drifts
Old 12-24-2010, 12:36 PM #168
F1VENOM

I'm going to assume he had a size limit to the article. My bone is the tossing out numbers without context.
"Originally posted by visualx: hey everyone, look at me. i call people poor though i make absolutely nothing; brag about my job as an intern or some ****; hate on people for not being fat like me; and absolutely never have any idea what i'm talking about, though i always have a ****ing righteous indignation with everything i say! aren't i ****ing amazing?! do you all like me yet?! oh, you know that hate is just a guise! good thing i have a ****ing amazing life! now let me go **** my fat girlfriend and cry myself to sleep"
F1VENOM is offline   Reply With Quote