PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 AM #820
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by justavillain View Post
Pirate I have read countless hours about diesels from every manufacture for cars/trucks and I can say I never knew this much info was out there. There is more info and support for diesels than my 6.0 could never have hopped for since I posted my post asking about new trucks in dec-ish time frame.

I will say my LML is the best motor made for GM diesels. I will fight anyone else who think the lbz lmm or any other ones are. I'm glad I went a little higher priced and took the 2011 and not the 2008 with the nav heated seats and power rear window over my current truck
If you're happy thats all that matters
Pirate Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 03-06-2012, 09:01 AM #821
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA has achieved Level 5 in PbNation Pursuit
roth_GBA is Legendary
Alright, so i found my truck. 6.5 Chevy Diesel 3500. with 250,000 miles. outside is in good condtion and nothing looks beat up.

I was worried about the injectors getting ready to go out. I hear alot of guys jumping ship on there truck around 250,000 miles with the injectors. the guy said the guy he bought it from replaced the injectors and shocks 10k miles ago when the previous owner had it.

so guys when i go to test drive this beast this week, what should i look for? Also how can i tell what transmission that is on the truck?

thanks,

roth
roth_GBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:30 AM #822
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth_GBA View Post
Alright, so i found my truck. 6.5 Chevy Diesel 3500. with 250,000 miles. outside is in good condtion and nothing looks beat up.

I was worried about the injectors getting ready to go out. I hear alot of guys jumping ship on there truck around 250,000 miles with the injectors. the guy said the guy he bought it from replaced the injectors and shocks 10k miles ago when the previous owner had it.

so guys when i go to test drive this beast this week, what should i look for? Also how can i tell what transmission that is on the truck?

thanks,

roth
Smooth acceleration, starts easy, not sputtering, check the tag on the trans
Old 03-06-2012, 04:42 PM #823
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA is Legendary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Mafia View Post
Smooth acceleration, starts easy, not sputtering, check the tag on the trans
thanks pirate, im going to be taking alot of pics today and posting them up for you guys to look at and also going to present them to a diesel tech.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM #824
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA is Legendary
went and drove it today, everything is good! only problem is its not 4 wheel drive

Thats kind of the whole point of me getting a difff truck was for the 4 wheel drive. you guys think its still worth it?

im only gonna be paying 3000
Old 03-06-2012, 08:36 PM #825
Riley Coyote
It's bad for the sport.

Riley Coyote has achieved Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
Riley Coyote has achieved Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
only you can decide how much you need 4wd.
Riley Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:40 PM #826
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is a Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Evil_Paintball_freek is attending Decay of Nations VII
You really only need 4wd if you plan on taking it off the road
Old 03-06-2012, 08:57 PM #827
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Do you really need 4x4 on a work truck? Maybe I'm crazy, but why not get a 1500 or so truck for offroading, this way, when you **** something up, you're not out as bad?

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:12 PM #828
Brules
MFCEO

Annual Supporting Member
Brules is Boss
Is anyone aware of any chips that are made specifically for MPG or have a MPG setting instead of just all additional power settings? I have an '04 2500 RAM with the cummins and 6 speed and I haven't been able to find anything that is primarily for MPG. The thing has more HP/Torque than ever needed.....would be nice if someone made a chip to tone it down for good HWY mileage!

Anyone know of anything?
Old 03-06-2012, 10:15 PM #829
Evil_Paintball_freek
#No****sGiven

Annual Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is a Supporting Member
Evil_Paintball_freek is one of the top 25 posters on PbNation
Evil_Paintball_freek is attending Decay of Nations VII
Erm...most chips give you better fuel economy. Also getting rid of stock emissions garbage will help as well.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:44 AM #830
ICB(In Cold Blood)
The Mastodon

ICB(In Cold Blood) is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Not harping on you here, just informing you. Their is no chips available for a CR (common rail) Cummins like you have in your 04 Brules. Proper term is a programmer. It will actually download into the ECM and change multiple(or all) parameters depending on what type of programmer you decide to go with.

We need to know a little more about your truck. Is it a 1 ton, what gear ratio is it, are you towing on the highway, what is it currently getting for MPG?

What I did was start out on running the Smarty JR, it's one of the best programmers for your engine. It has 3 settings you can choose from. The first setting is 40hp(best mileage), then it goes to 70 then 100. Not only does it add HP, but you can mess with timing, duration, TQ management, ect. Here is a link with more info. http://madselectronics.com/SmartyJR.html

Is their any mods done to the truck at all?

Old Feedback 40 Posotive, 0 Negative
ICB(In Cold Blood) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:32 AM #831
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Also the view of a 2500 or 3500 getting 25mpg wont happen either. So just give that idea up too. But 18 or 19 is not crazy. But I will say the Cummings is the only motor I don't know enough about to help to mucus. But the egr dpf and scr. If.you have one are all not helping.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:27 AM #832
roth_GBA
You lookin at me?

roth_GBA is Legendary
Yea that's exactly what iwas thinkin. I'm not gonna be offroading with my diesel so what's the point of having a. 4wd. That's my thought process anyways.

That's kindof why I want this truck because eventually I want to be able to get a atv or old cj and have them as my offroading toys...also would love to getg into camping...
Old 03-07-2012, 07:15 AM #833
Pirate Mafia
Affiliated

Quote:
Originally Posted by roth_GBA View Post
went and drove it today, everything is good! only problem is its not 4 wheel drive

Thats kind of the whole point of me getting a difff truck was for the 4 wheel drive. you guys think its still worth it?

im only gonna be paying 3000
Snow around you? If its a dually I have no problem in harsh whether, if its a single rear re-consider. If you're not in a area that gets snow, 4wd isnt necessary

Quote:
Also the view of a 2500 or 3500 getting 25mpg wont happen either. So just give that idea up too. But 18 or 19 is not crazy. But I will say the Cummings is the only motor I don't know enough about to help to mucus. But the egr dpf and scr. If.you have one are all not helping.
Cummins. No G lol
Old 03-07-2012, 08:44 AM #834
ICB(In Cold Blood)
The Mastodon

Quote:

Thats false. I've seen trucks setup properly get a consistent 23-24mpg. A 2500 2wd manual with the correct gearing, a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit and a couple other small mods will obtain great mileage.

Hell, just last summer I drove from MN to Kansas and averaged 20.7 (hand calculated). That's with a 4" lift and 35's @ 70mph.

Old 03-07-2012, 01:07 PM #835
AGP16
CumminTryMe

AGP16 is a Supporting Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICB(In Cold Blood)
AGP, how close are you to Sturgis? I'll be out there this summer on the Harley. Maybe we can meet up man. Would be nice to put a face to the name.
I'm 20 miles south of Sioux Falls, so I'm on the complete opposite end of the state from Sturgis lol. Besides I'm still in San Diego at the naval hospital... one of these days the Marine Corps will let me get out...... Maybe next year we can meet at Rapid Diesel's dyno event?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brules
The thing has more HP/Torque than ever needed.....would be nice if someone made a chip to tone it down for good HWY mileage!

The reality is some added horse power can and most often will give you better mpg. I saw up to 7 mpg better with Jammer 5(rated at 150hp) injectors on a stock truck. Probablly the biggest thing effecting your highway milage is your gearing. I'd bet you have a lower set of gears if your primarily bothered by highway milage.

Combat Wounded Marine - Some Assembly Required
AGP16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:25 PM #836
justavillain
I've got nothing

justavillain is a Supporting Member
justavillain is one of the top 500 posters on PbNation
justavillain is a top reviewer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICB(In Cold Blood)

Thats false. I've seen trucks setup properly get a consistent 23-24mpg. A 2500 2wd manual with the correct gearing, a Gear Vendor Overdrive unit and a couple other small mods will obtain great mileage.

Hell, just last summer I drove from MN to Kansas and averaged 20.7 (hand calculated). That's with a 4" lift and 35's @ 70mph.
99% of people will not dump 4k in to their transmission. The number of 2wd trucks is lower since there isn't as much of a want for them. I could have bought a 2wd diesel for a lot less. But even then I'm sure that's was on the older trucks that don't have a dpf,scr,egt,def set up. If you remove all of those then it will be better. But saying your truck gets 25mpg like you can with a car will not happen. The avg will not be 25. I will be shocked that means almost 0 city or idleing and all highway. My truck gets 15.6 with a 50/50 mix.

Most people will expect 25mpg from an exhaust,programmer, an intake. It will not happen with those in a normal 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Being a regular cab or extended cab and a short/normal box. To take the median truck as a extended cab long bed 4x4 auto.

Sgt USMC infantry
Firefighter/emt basic

Last edited by justavillain : 03-07-2012 at 04:28 PM.
justavillain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:46 PM #837
Rampager2000
-Voted best Avvy 2011 <3-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICB(In Cold Blood) View Post

One of my ag teachers has a 2500 Dodge (not sure exact motor and whatnot) who has done some work to it and swears he gets 25 highway.

OGPT: It's Not Rocket Surgery
Rampager2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:48 PM #838
Alan777
Tree Fitty

I drove my friends 2500 6sp down to myrtle beach. On the trip down, back and driving down when we were there I averaged 22-23, and it wasn't babied.
1994 BMW 325is
2013 Subaru Impreza Sport
Alan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:06 AM #839
ICB(In Cold Blood)
The Mastodon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP16 View Post
I'm 20 miles south of Sioux Falls, so I'm on the complete opposite end of the state from Sturgis lol. Besides I'm still in San Diego at the naval hospital... one of these days the Marine Corps will let me get out...... Maybe next year we can meet at Rapid Diesel's dyno event
Hopefully you get released soon. Although i'm sure you're enjoying the weather down there. lol

The Rapid Diesel event sounds real familiar. It's a pretty big get together isn't it? If i'm free that time next year i'm sure I could make the trip out there.

Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 PM #840
trickedinferno

Here's afew that i've done some stuff to lately.

I guess it's technically a gas burner, but its atleast a 3/4ton lol

FEEDBACK
trickedinferno is offline   Reply With Quote