Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 02-09-2011, 05:45 PM #1
e_tar
TUP Inc.

Tournament Netting, Spectators question...

I have a 3 part question. I am doing a lot of learning and ground work before I open my field (NorCal). My Question regards Spectators..

Is there a type of netting that you field owners use that is not restrictive in terms of being able to see through for tournament fields only? I have noticed that it is not a very spectator friendly sport mainly because the nets are hard to see through and plus spectators need to wear a mask which makes watching matches even harder.

What are the rules for spectators? Do they have to wear paintball masks ? Or can they wear just eye goggles if seated behind the net?

3. Do you charge spectators to come see games and provide them with masks?

thanks!
e_tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM #2
TargetIndy
Electrifying

Annual Supporting Member
TargetIndy is a founding member
TargetIndy is BST Legit
TargetIndy is an Ultimate field/store owner
TargetIndy is Immortal
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_tar View Post
I have a 3 part question. I am doing a lot of learning and ground work before I open my field (NorCal). My Question regards Spectators..

Is there a type of netting that you field owners use that is not restrictive in terms of being able to see through for tournament fields only? I have noticed that it is not a very spectator friendly sport mainly because the nets are hard to see through and plus spectators need to wear a mask which makes watching matches even harder.

What are the rules for spectators? Do they have to wear paintball masks ? Or can they wear just eye goggles if seated behind the net?

3. Do you charge spectators to come see games and provide them with masks?

thanks!
Visibility can vary slightly from one brand of net to another, but the safety standards for netting limit how big the holes in the weave can be.

The ASTM standards for netting require spectators to be at least 5 feet away from the net. If bleachers or elevated seating are used, the net must extend at least 12 feet above the highest point of the spectators' area. In other words, if your bleachers are 8 feet tall, your net needs to be at least 20 feet tall.

If spectators are going to be closer than 5 feet from the net, or are in an area that puts them at risk of being shot, they need to wear eye protection that meets ASTM standards for paintball eye protection--that limits approved eye protection to paintball masks.

Fields don't typically charge spectators to watch. There aren't that many people willing to pay to watch.

DoctorOring.com -- O-ring kits for baller's on a budget!
3 rebuilds $4.95 -- Boxed kits from $9.95

Paintball Indiana -- Indianapolis's Oldest Outdoor Paintball Field

Last edited by TargetIndy : 02-09-2011 at 09:45 PM.
TargetIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:07 PM #3
e_tar
TUP Inc.

Thank you!

So If I use just 3 row bleachers, the nets just need to be 6 ft tall?

Last edited by e_tar : 02-09-2011 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 PM #4
GatSplat

Quote:
Thank you!

So If I use just 3 row bleachers, the nets just need to be 6 ft tall?
12 feet above 6 feet. So 18 ft of net.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM #5
e_tar
TUP Inc.

Oh.. I understand now... Thanks..

Does one need permits to put up 3 row bleachers?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:25 PM #6
GatSplat

Quote:
Oh.. I understand now... Thanks..

Does one need permits to put up 3 row bleachers?
Good question for your local building code dept, not a paintball forum. Your city, county, state, may be way different than someone elses. In some areas, I've had to get approval to paint a fence... in others, we put up a loafing shed and barn with non required.

Paintball Field Reservation & Digital Waiver System.
3 Months Free! No set up fees! No monthly fees.
GatSplat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:17 AM #7
Trips

Trips plays in the PSP
Trips plays in the APPA D5 division
Even a 20'+ net will not stop the bouncing ricochets off of inflatable bunkers. Inform spectators that they or their property may be hit. I suggest signage around the spectator area and nearby parking areas. Also it was mentioned earlier, People outside the netting need to stay at least 5' away from the netting. You have not lived until the soccer mom comes to you with a lovely pink stain ooozing down her designer blouse, screaming bloody murder, blaming you, because she or someone near her stepped on a unbroken ball and she got squirted. Great test of customer service skills right there, and self control not to laugh (because she does not realize it is in her hair as well).
Old 02-11-2011, 09:48 AM #8
jake55
:dodgy?:

Is there any alternative to paintball netting that is strong enough to meet the standards for protection that is not out of this world in cost that would provide an easier experience to view paintball in?
jake55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:36 PM #9
MstrKey

MstrKey is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
MstrKey is for the Gunfight
MstrKey supports our troops
Honestly, compared to any of the other options, I think paintball netting is pretty much the only solution. Anything else will be mroe expensive and a total failure.

Black/Purple Spire F/s. Freshly updated from Virtue.
MstrKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM #10
clarkematthew1

clarkematthew1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
I agree with MstrKey, you have to go with paintball netting. You can find other stuff thats cheaper but quality goes down with the price. My field started with the cheap stuff just to save money but it rips in the wind or you have to have ways of lowering it when not playing. It became more or a pain and money hole trying to repair it then it was worth. You have to spend money to make money, might as well go with the right stuff from the beginning and save yourself the problems in the future.
clarkematthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:52 PM #11
clarkematthew1

clarkematthew1 owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
and the netting we have now is up to standards and is quite easy to see through. I have stood point blank and gotten shot at and the only thing that hit me was some paint splatter.
clarkematthew1 is offline   Reply With Quote