Treghc

Treghc is a Supporting Member
Treghc is a founding member
 has been a member for 10 years
Treghc is a Forum Captain
Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
That doesn't address my point at all.
Your point is that current-gen consoles have reached their point, no?

That's not the case. Not at all.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Treghc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 PM #86
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
I mean seriously, you're just trolling now. Its getting ridiculous.

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pc-...rli,11714.html

The Crysis 2 devs are obviously just trolling all of us right?

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:32 PM #87
komodo-117
Who pooped on this pizza?

You also have to take into consideration how the Xbox is also holding the PS3 back when it comes to multiplatform games.

No, I'm not a fanboy, I don't even own a PS3. But it does raise concern that developers are having to limit a games potential because one console can't handle what the rest can. And yeah, the games will still look better on the PS3, but that's a far cry from them being designed from the ground up to take advantage of the full potential of the system, which has far more headroom than the 360.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:35 PM #88
ayabrae

Quote:
The devs say themselves they're being held back because of hardware limitations. Why is it wrong for me to want to axe these limitations so that they can create a better product that I can consume?

We're not saying we want consoles to go away, we just want to bring them into the next gen.
This is what you and Komodo aren't understanding though. PC's are more powerful than consoles, that's not debatable. They're more powerful because they evolve all the time. Consoles cannot do this. Releasing a new "generation" console every other year for 300 dollars is a stupid ****ing business plan and there's a reason it isn't being done. Consoles are not meant to compete with PC's in terms of power.

PC gaming has been ahead of consoles for some in time pretty much every department except motion control now. Developers have known this. However, recently, PC gaming has become MUCH less lucrative than it once was. This puts developers who want to technologically push the bar into a pickle. They can risk a lot of money and time and make a new PC exclusive that raises the technological bar, or they can tone the game down and develop it for consoles. Most gravitate toward the latter plan because it's much more secure. Crytek even states that piracy is what forced them to develop Crysis 2 on the consoles. Had piracy not been able to exist, then Crysis 2 would have been on the PC and would have raised the bar for graphics. Why should consoles force their costumers to spend more money on consoles over the course of a certain number of years just to please people like you and Komodo. A HUGE facet of console gaming is the affordability, why the **** would a business like Microsoft or Sony rid of that so that gaming can progress at a faster pace.

You should be more worried about PC gaming fading into the shadows instead of Crytek crying about a decision they ****ing made.

And Komodo; I'm the opposite of you oddly enough. I only play PC games. I own a 360 that collects dust under my bed and a PS3 that's a nice blu-ray player.

I'm glad to see Treg posting in here, he's someone who has stupid amounts of tech knowledge. Maybe he can shed some real light into this debate.

Last edited by ayabrae : 12-09-2010 at 09:38 PM.
ayabrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:36 PM #89
Treghc

Quote:
Cytek =/= all developers. This is their first attack at programming for consoles. They don't have the limitless power they did before. They don't have the ability to hope and/or coordinate with GPU developers for a new GPU to be delivered, finally capable of running the game at a stable 30fps, (if your computer is already top of the line) after the game actually comes out.

Go talk to Naughty Dawg. Go talk to Guerilla Games. Go talk to Polyphony Digital. Go talk to the Unreal team. Go talk to Media Molecule. Ask them how they feel about consoles.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-09-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:37 PM #90
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

We're not asking for every year release, just every 5 years like the industry standard is.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM #91
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treghc View Post
Cytek =/= all developers. This is their first attack at programming for consoles. They don't have the limitless power they did before. They don't have the ability to hope and/or coordinate with GPU developers for a new GPU to be delivered, finally capable of running the game at a stable 30fps, (if your computer is already top of the line) after the game actually comes out.

Go talk to Naughty Dawg. Go talk to Guerilla Games. Go talk to Polyphony Digital. Go talk to the Unreal team. Go talk to Media Molecule. Ask them how they feel about consoles.
What about the BF devs? They've blatantly said they had to scale back both map size, content, and player counts because of the 360's limitation.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM #92
komodo-117
Who pooped on this pizza?

Quote:
We're not asking for every year release, just every 5 years like the industry standard is.

I've always been for consoles. More than I've been for PC's. The problem is that while consoles are making that push to be the sole gaming commodity on the market, they're still falling behind in areas that PC's have been able to handle for YEARS, regardless of power disputes.

I'm all for consoles owning the gaming market. I'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of PC's in order to have the power-house games. What needs to be done is for consoles to find ways of getting past their limited barriers in order to take over the market, rather than forcing people to settle for less, or become the fodder for PC gamer's elitism.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 PM #93
ayabrae

Consoles have already taken over the market. Hence ltk being ***-pained that Battlefield wasn't everything he hoped it to be.

And I fail to see how console gamers settle for less. They're paying less money for a less powerful product, that sounds pretty standard across all industries to me.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:47 PM #94
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Yeah. The target date of 10 years is just ridiculous IMO. The 360's gfx card is the equivalent of a Radeon x1900...time to upgrade

Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM #95
ayabrae

Sony is the one doing the decade per console thing, are they not?
Old 12-09-2010, 09:48 PM #96
Treghc

Quote:
What about the BF devs? They've blatantly said they had to scale back both map size, content, and player counts because of the 360's limitation.
Notable for their gameplay, not their tech.

Player count is because of console's network bandwidth limitations, not because of spec limitations. PS3 users get to enjoy 64 players in the game... the same number available for PC users.

Content is due to using a DVD and not having Blu-Ray available. Again, another problem that would be alleviated with a PS3.

The one and only problem with current-gen consoles is lack of RAM. That is, by large, the toughest area for programmers to prioritize and utilize correctly on consoles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo-117 View Post
What needs to be done is for consoles to find ways of getting past their limited barriers in order to take over the market, rather than forcing people to settle for less, or become the fodder for PC gamer's elitism.
What limited barriers? I'm not settling for less with my PS3. Hell, I've played more top-notch games on consoles over the past 5 years than I have games on PC. And it cost me less!

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-09-2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:50 PM #97
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

So, you agree with me. The 360 is holding us back.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:53 PM #98
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
What limited barriers? I'm not settling for less with my PS3. Hell, I've played more top-notch games on consoles over the past 5 years than I have games on PC. And it cost me less!
I know you're all petty tired of me using BF as an example, but you're settling for less in that regards because its being held back by an inferior console. You even said so yourself.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:55 PM #99
Treghc

Quote:
So, you agree with me. The 360 is holding us back.
I would say the only limitation there is map size. That's it. And, with proper programming, can be overcome (let us revisit Just Cause 2 and GTAIV).

But any good game that's out on 360 can also be played on PC. There's really no need for one. That's why I sold mine a long time ago

Quote:
I know you're all petty tired of me using BF as an example, but you're settling for less in that regards because its being held back by an inferior console. You even said so yourself.
I'm not. I own a current-gen console that continues to impress and grow, mostly thanks to great development teams. Not to mention, I've been very disappointed with all of the recent BF games, so I really don't care. But that's not adding anything to my point

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien

Last edited by Treghc : 12-09-2010 at 09:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM #100
YeloSno
Breadloser

Annual Supporting Member
YeloSno supports Team VICIOUS
YeloSno is for the Gunfight
YeloSno is one of the top 250 posters on PbNation
YeloSno is Legendary
YeloSno supports Empire
idgaf about new games. i still play the first red alert, age of empires, and civilization 3. love the 1st halo the most. counter strike source kicks ***... i can go on and on and on.

and omfg atari is boss. no i'm not old. i'm not even out of college. but having a 15 year old tv and a beefcaked gaming computer helps. i do play some new games as well *cough*

Thinking of Buying Something, But Don't Know What?
Have A Look Inside for Some Help.

My Current Top TradeBait
BKAYBKEJHFJK FIRE SALE!
LNIB PE HDEs - CHEAP - Need em gone!
It's a ****ing graphite IZE Flex for sale! WOW.

ALT Bazaar
A new top secret project that isn't so secret. Brought to you by the creator of the Ultimate Purchasing Hierarchy and TBQF Technologies.

"Originally posted by Insane_Vendetta: "We used to be schizophrentic, but now we agree.""
"Originally posted by Somnambulistz: i'm not wearing any underwear! :D"
YeloSno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM #101
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
I'm not. I own a current-gen console that continues to impress and grow, mostly thanks to great development teams. Not to mention, I've been very disappointed with all of the recent BF games, so I really don't care. But that's not adding anything to my point
Now you're contradicting yourself

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM #102
Treghc

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeloSno View Post
idgaf about new games. i still play the first red alert, age of empires, and civilization 3. love the 1st halo the most. counter strike source kicks ***... i can go on and on and on.
All of which were new games at some point.

Quote:
Now you're contradicting yourself
How so?

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien
Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM #103
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayabrae View Post
Sony is the one doing the decade per console thing, are they not?
Microsoft has stated that they plan on the 360 having a 10 year life span, but I think they're going to cut it short. We might see a new console within the next 2 years.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:02 PM #104
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
How so?
Well in terms of BF the PS3 is capable of large scale maps and player counts but doesn't get them because the 360 can't handle it. (although I heard they might for BF3)

Last edited by licence_to_kill : 12-09-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 PM #105
Treghc

Quote:
Microsoft has stated that they plan on the 360 having a 10 year life span, but I think they're going to cut it short. We might see a new console within the next 2 years.
10-year life span doesn't mean they come out with a console after 10 years. It means they support that console for 10 years, a la PS2. The PS2 has been given continuing support and development even after the PS3 was released. In fact, every company has done this with the exception of MS, which had to cut their failed black brick off to focus on something that would (and did) succeed.

Tarsier Slave

We are Sapien