PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM #43
ayabrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
Question: who the **** rents games anymore? With all the major rental places out of business where the **** are you going to find a rental copy anyways? Gamefly? lol
Yeah, Glamefly is pretty good for people who play casually.
ayabrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM #44
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
I hate using anecdotal evidence, but I don't know a single hardcore or casual gamer who cares about renting games. With the re playability you get with today's titles it's just not an issue.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:37 PM #45
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

has been a member for 10 years
so your tellingme that when netflix was formed in 97 and opened in 98, they knew back then that digital distribution was going to become the standard?
I did some digging and maybe i was wrong, supposedly the founder stated that in an exlusive interview with someone, but that interview is now where to be found.

thats why im not a multi millionare with a publicly traded company with over 16-5 million subcribers

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa

Last edited by phuct : 12-09-2010 at 05:48 PM.
phuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:38 PM #46
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Yes, its really not that amazing. The concept of DD has been around longer than that.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 12-09-2010, 05:39 PM #47
ayabrae

Quote:
I hate using anecdotal evidence, but I don't know a single hardcore or casual gamer who cares about renting games. With the re playability you get with today's titles it's just not an issue.
The success of Gamefly refutes that though. I only know one person out of quite a few who game that use it though.

Last edited by ayabrae : 12-09-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM #48
phuct

ME! Many games just dont have that replayabilty you speak of. If they did Gamestop would not be making so much money on the used game market.

My wife got me a years script to gamefly for fathersday. Working overnights a couple nights a week i beat the **** out of games and generally dont bother replaying them afterwards. Some games yes, but for the most part once I have completed a game and then gone on to rock out the in game and system achievements/trophies (if i liked the game enough to do so) I am done with it and move on. Even mp games like cod get old to players hence the release of a new game every year. If the base game was so replayable, why wouldnt they just implement new map packs forever. Even new dlc modes/skins/weapons etc. similar to what dice is doing with the (ruined ) bad company :vietnam expansion pack

Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM #49
tuna

I just disagree with the premise. IMO we are in a golden age of video games. You look at the games that have come out this console generation, I would argue that they are by far superior to every other generation. We have better multiplayer games then we have ever had, better immersive worlds than ever, more cinematic presentation than ever, and so on.

I've been playing games for a while. My favorite game of all time is Super Mario Bros. 3 on the NES, and Mario 64 would rank pretty highly too. And I did my share of PC gaming back in the day, including hundreds of hours of Quake II, Counter-Strike, Warcraft 2, Starcraft, and Age of Empires. But I just don't see the argument that today's games aren't for the most part better.

Yes the market has generally shifted from PC to console, and there has been a change in the type of games that are being more highly promoted which corresponds to the difference in games that play well on console vs PC. And I think there's good reason for that. PC gaming offered huge advantages back before consoles had networking and hard drives. Now consoles have those features and are able to do almost everything that a PC can do. In fact, in some ways consoles are now leading PCs in feature innovation (motion controls, centralized multiplayer accounts, to name a couple that I could think of immediately). For the vast majority of people, dealing with the eccentricities of PC gaming is not worth it. And a lot of people would rather be sitting on their couch anyway. Its more social than sitting at a computer desk.

I'll stop there but the bottom line is that I reject the premise. I think that a TON of great games have come out in the past few years. Yeah consoles obviously don't push the graphics leading edge as much as PCs used to but how many people care about that? And would rather have a desktop computer (which people don't own any more to begin with) and have to open it up and install a gaming graphics card (which most people are intimidated to do) and there could be compatibility problems with the case, motherboard, and power supply, and the new GPU will add heat inside the case which can cause problems, and on and on and on... I'm one of a very people who I can count on one hand who were ever willing to deal with **** like that and personally I am not anymore.
tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:49 PM #50
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna View Post
I'll stop there but the bottom line is that I reject the premise. I think that a TON of great games have come out in the past few years. Yeah consoles obviously don't push the graphics leading edge as much as PCs used to but how many people care about that?
I care about playing on small, lousy maps, with a small number of players, with limited dumbed down controls due to console limitations. Theres so much more to it than graphics. These are things that directly effect core game play.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 PM #51
phuct

with tunas post i want to clarify that i dont really feel like gaming is dead ( me being the op) but i did like the way the other thread discussion was going.

and tuna, you arent going to win with ltk. he is a console hater

One major thing holding back pc gaming is this. It is you and only you playing it. You cannot have people over, drink some beers and have a good time all huddled around a computer being elite on A pc. Everyone would have to bring their rigs over to play.

Last edited by phuct : 12-09-2010 at 05:53 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:51 PM #52
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Nobody is saying gaming is dead. Just that its time for a hardware upgrade on the console side so we can progress forward.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:11 PM #53
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yeah I don't understand where his "gaming is dead" thing came from.

Creativity and innovation may be falling away to marketability but that by no means suggests gaming is dead.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM #54
phuct

not completely true. the ps3 and xbox are both capable of doing more. its developers not putting the effort in to fully realize the potential of the machines. There is not a single game that pushes either system to its max.
cause it pisses you off so much: graphics: both systems are capable of pushing tv sets to the max res of 1080. but how many games are actually outputting that? is it becasue the developimg house doesnt have the talent? the money? or do they know we as gamers will buy it anyway.

how many devs are completely maxing out the disc formats they are on, delivering more compelling characters and story?

developers are holding innovation back so they can sell you minor upgrades that could have been put into "this" game but they need something to sell you something next year.

Im really leaving this time. 2.5 hours sleep is going to kill me

Old 12-09-2010, 07:03 PM #55
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuct View Post
not completely true. the ps3 and xbox are both capable of doing more. its developers not putting the effort in to fully realize the potential of the machines. There is not a single game that pushes either system to its max.
Crysis 2 and Bad Company 2 both push the systems to the edge, the developers have even said so.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 PM #56
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Seriously what the **** I've said this like 5 times

Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM #57
ayabrae

Okay.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM #58
poopman9201
Vicious

poopman9201 helped look for balloons
poopman9201 supports Team VICIOUS
Quote:
Originally Posted by phuct View Post
cause it pisses you off so much: graphics: both systems are capable of pushing tv sets to the max res of 1080. but how many games are actually outputting that? is it becasue the developimg house doesnt have the talent? the money? or do they know we as gamers will buy it anyway.

how many devs are completely maxing out the disc formats they are on, delivering more compelling characters and story?

developers are holding innovation back so they can sell you minor upgrades that could have been put into "this" game but they need something to sell you something next year.

Im really leaving this time. 2.5 hours sleep is going to kill me

ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\
poopman9201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:12 PM #59
ayabrae

He is right in the sense that more games should be in 1080p by this point.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:31 PM #60
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Yeah no ****ing ****. I think only a handful of games are even fully rendered in 1080p, and they're nothing spectacular to begin with.

I want a new edition of Fallout 3 re-rendered in 1080p god dammit.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

Steam - BabyHands
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 PM #61
Jebus Christ
Praise Jebus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
More power isn't just an excuse for people to make games prettier. I don't understand how none of you can properly understand this.

It takes a powerful machine to give a game great scale, to give it smarter enemies, to make things more complex and challenging and more interactive. It's not just about graphical prowess and making a game look pretty. The reason we need more powerful machines is because developers are pushing the current ones to their limits as is. They've hit their ceiling.

This is why when the PS3 was first released I was a huge supporter of it, because its technical ability was far above that of the 360. It's Sony's awful, power and money hungry marketing that led me to choose a 360. And in all honesty, I'm glad I did. As is the rest of the world that bought a 360 over a PS3. But unfortunately, we've ****ed ourselves because muti-platform games are now made with the ability of the 360 as its standard, when PS3's are capable of so much more. Sure, the difference isn't massive, but a more powerful system coupled with the expansive memory of Blu-Ray discs is easily far more ready to handle the needs of developers needing more headroom to work with.

This I disagree with. Games have always appealed to the same demographic. Just with the advent of new technology they are allowed to expand on the edges more. That's NOT to blame for piss-poor single player games.

The problem is a combination of the multiplayer market ruling the industry, as well as a general lack of creativity and risk assessment. Nobody wants to just throw out any concept anymore because the development costs are not worth it should the game flop. And games that try too hard to put great stories into them and fill the game with innovation wind up becoming either boring or so complex and uncomfortable that nobody wants to play it. It's too little or too much. People are afraid of making truly great games because they're always living in the shadow of giant franchises like Halo, COD, Final Fantasy, and the top sports games. They've essentially bullied everyone else out of the market, and it's ****ing wrong.

This. ****ing dot to the max.

Or if anything, begin releasing games on SD cards that load it onto the system. Everyone knows that flash-based storage is incredibly easy and cheap to produce, and that its mark-up here in the states is just over-inflated bull****.

The days of the optical disc are numbered.
I think you missed what I was saying. I see a lot of games where gameplay is extremely subpar but the game looks pretty. I have yet to be impressed by an AI system. Either it borderline brain dead or kills you an un natural like fashion, they might be pushing it but it is far some anything impressive in that field.

I feel developers should focus on gameplay before trying to make things look nice.

Also physical media is far from dead, you are too much of an extremist to see that. Even five years from now, it will be alive and well.

"Originally posted by Ben-Oblivion : Jebus , You are full of win and flavr. I will never doubt your holyness again."

Vist my new tech Blog: www.brokemanstech.com
Jebus Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:53 PM #62
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Physical media isn't dead yet, but you'd have to be blind to not see that its on its way out.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:03 PM #63
ayabrae

Quote:
Physical media isn't dead yet, but you'd have to be blind to not see that its on its way out.
Yay broad statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodo_117 View Post
Yeah no ****ing ****. I think only a handful of games are even fully rendered in 1080p, and they're nothing spectacular to begin with.

I want a new edition of Fallout 3 re-rendered in 1080p god dammit.
Yeah, I don't know why developers aren't doing it.