PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-09-2010, 03:26 PM #22
phuct
PSN: CASWELLHOUSE

has been a member for 10 years
didnt post that to disagree with you just thought it fit into the conversation. sometimes i troll myself/

gotta go eat supper and go to bed. i have to work the overnight tonight. 8 hours of single player goodness with bioshock 2

and im shocked, 22 posts and no name calling.
komodo, your a window licking retard!!!!!

sorry i liked that line

snatchin kisses whenever i can....... and vice versa

Last edited by phuct : 12-09-2010 at 03:31 PM.
phuct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2010, 03:30 PM #23
ayabrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek View Post
McDonalds doesn't stop world class restaurants from opening. Pop music doesn't stop orchestras from playing. Having only 8 colors doesn't mean you can't paint a beautiful picture.

I think the tools, the right fan base, and the proper environment are here right now. Everyone always wants to have nicer tools to work with, but when does it stop? Hardware is always going to get smaller, faster, cooler, quieter, and look better. ALWAYS. Some of my favorite games ever are incredibly dated and I would much rather play a fun old game than a boring new game.

It sounds cheesy, but now is the future of gaming. People who don't give a **** about any video games at all can go pick up incredibly fun and accessible games that really are solid titles when taken in context. Hardcore PC gamers can go online and download the incredibly deep, individually developed Dwarf Fortress for completely free! Someone can come up with an idea (Minecraft for example) and sell it to hundreds of thousands of people as fast as he can write the code. Bro's can jump online from all over the world and play Halo and COD without *****ing about dedicated servers and anti-aliasing and still get angry enough to smash their controller on the floor. That sounds like someone is doing something right to me.

Gaming is a relatively young industry and it has been evolving insanely fast. It might not look like it is because you can't single out an innovation. Innovation takes time and its something you point at after the fact. We won't know where we are going until we get there. I'm sure 20 years from now, no one is going to look back and say, "wow they sucked, consoles had bad graphics and too many people wanted casual games!"
/thread.

Well said.
ayabrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:31 PM #24
phuct

good thing i know cpr.

threads back

although it was a well spoken post.

guess im still in it for a few.
smarter AI has been mentioned a few times in this thread, Insomniac has claimed to make major headway in this area with Resistance 3. i stress the 'claimed" part of that statement.
But again,
sequels and that damned dead horse again

Last edited by phuct : 12-09-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:36 PM #25
komodo_117
Plague Upon Your Hissing

Quote:
McDonalds doesn't stop world class restaurants from opening. Pop music doesn't stop orchestras from playing. Having only 8 colors doesn't mean you can't paint a beautiful picture.

I think the tools, the right fan base, and the proper environment are here right now. Everyone always wants to have nicer tools to work with, but when does it stop? Hardware is always going to get smaller, faster, cooler, quieter, and look better. ALWAYS. Some of my favorite games ever are incredibly dated and I would much rather play a fun old game than a boring new game.

It sounds cheesy, but now is the future of gaming. People who don't give a **** about any video games at all can go pick up incredibly fun and accessible games that really are solid titles when taken in context. Hardcore PC gamers can go online and download the incredibly deep, individually developed Dwarf Fortress for completely free! Someone can come up with an idea (Minecraft for example) and sell it to hundreds of thousands of people as fast as he can write the code. Bro's can jump online from all over the world and play Halo and COD without *****ing about dedicated servers and anti-aliasing and still get angry enough to smash their controller on the floor. That sounds like someone is doing something right to me.

Gaming is a relatively young industry and it has been evolving insanely fast. It might not look like it is because you can't single out an innovation. Innovation takes time and its something you point at after the fact. We won't know where we are going until we get there. I'm sure 20 years from now, no one is going to look back and say, "wow they sucked, consoles had bad graphics and too many people wanted casual games!"
I agree with this, for the most part.

However, because games are evolving so fast is where the need for more power comes into play. The problem isn't so much that we absolutely NEED to have the most powerful console on the market at all times, but of the fact that because technology is doubling exponentially, the half-life of a video game console is decreasing in the same fashion. People were dedicatedly playing the NES and SNES what, like, 15 years after its release? And PS1's for another 12 years? How long did the PS2 last? 7 or 8 years after its release? Things are showing their age and dating quicker. Not that I really want to buy a $400 console every 4 or 5 years, but ratio is still there that technology is exceeding our expectations. And when that power is out there, people want it put to use, especially those in the dedicated gaming community. It's like that with all things.

They rip their skin off and rape anything in sight. Basically a Shel Silverstein poem."

XBL - xStonedCrow
komodo_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM #26
ayabrae

Quote:
Fat chance. Sony isn't going to let that happen. Not easily at least.
Oh yes they will.

Quote:
You and I have different views of "large" then. 500gb+ should be the standard, if not more. Especially with the push towards backing games up on HDD's and consoles becoming all-in-one media sources. Hi Definition movies and music take up a lot of space, and with the price of digital storage falling rapidly every year they'd be window licking retarded to not outfit their consoles with as much storage as possible to cater to the needs of everyone.
The HDD's we have on consoles now is far too large for most people. And for the few people who actually to use their HDD up with movies/music, they can buy an HDD. I fully expect the next generation of Xbox to have external HDD support, especially with the huge marketing push of "all-in-one media devices" like you mentioned. There's no need to put the money into shipping standard editions of consoles with 750+ gb's of storage when most users won't even approach half that.

Quote:
This is true. I know I like to still have hardcopies. But you can bet your *** that within the next 5 years you're going to see a very large push towards digital distribution and if the consoles released in that time aren't capable of handling the needs of such, they're going to fail.
DD is already on the PC and it's becoming pretty prominent. So, when the next big push for DD happens, it's going to be driven by consoles that are equipped to handle it - which will most likely be the next generation. It's not a very difficult thing to adapt to past storage space. And, like I said, you really won't see DD being solely used for a REALLY long time.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:40 PM #27
phuct

nintendo is generally on a 5 year release window
85 nes, 90snes,95 n64, 2000 gamecube and 05 the wii. i still play my nes on occasion with my 7 year old daughter. she has to know where it all "started"
i also throw down with the atari with here now and then. bought one of them preloaded deals a few years back.

she loves the old school games. in my house we have the atari, nes,snes,64 and ps2 (albeit in a drawer but accsessable) i even still have my ps1 kicking around. permanent fixtures on my entertainment center are the wii and ps3

k im done now. sleepy time

Old 12-09-2010, 03:43 PM #28
ayabrae

Well, it's pretty apparent that this generation of consoles will be the longest.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:44 PM #29
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

licence_to_kill is reppin' sidebar 4 life
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 1 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 2 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill has perfected Level 3 in PbNation Pursuit
licence_to_kill supports DLX Technology
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayabrae View Post
You can't just do things like that and leave the rest of your customers behind. The next Xbox will have a blu-ray drive and both consoles will have pretty large HDD's - my guess it at least 320gb+.

I don't really think networks are in the proper place for solely digital distributed games. Hard copies still have a lot of life in them.
physical media is already on its way out. we're closer to it than you think.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
licence_to_kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:45 PM #30
tater66

Lack of anything really groundbreak/breahtaking in terms of new physics/engines/etc. The frostbite engine for BF:BC was supposed to be grand. I was pleasantly surprised but I want environmental damage ala Company of heroes on console shooters.

"Originally Posted by AR55
Must of been a pretty intense game if you had to wear headbands."
tater66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM #31
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:

This analogy is flawed. Preparing gourmet food doesn't take huge development teams and millions of dollars. Making high end video games does.

"Most Ron Paul supporters are domestic terrorists and racist liberal nazis." - John Elway
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM #32
ayabrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by licence_to_kill View Post
physical media is already on its way out. we're closer to it than you think.
Not really.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:47 PM #33
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

lol yes

look at netflix, they've already put physical distribution a la blackbuster/hollywood video out of business

Old 12-09-2010, 03:54 PM #34
ayabrae

Quote:
This analogy is flawed. Preparing gourmet food doesn't take huge development teams and millions of dollars. Making high end video games does.
Owning a world class restaurant costs tons of money and a large team of people to run it. Same with running an Orchestra. The analogy fit fine.
Quote:

look at netflix, they've already put physical distribution a la blackbuster/hollywood video out of business
Okay? Renting movie son Netflix is quite different than DD in gaming.

Last edited by ayabrae : 12-09-2010 at 03:57 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:55 PM #35
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayabrae View Post
Owning a world class restaurant costs tons of money and a large team of people to run it. Same with running an Orchestra. The analogy fit fine.
Same with running a McDonalds

Quote:
Okay? Renting movie son Netflix is quite different than DD.
ummm, they're the exact same things. The only difference is the content.

Seriously, how is that not DD? Netflix is the very definition.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM #36
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

"Digital distribution, digital delivery or electronic software distribution (ESD) is the practice of delivering content without the use of physical media, typically by downloading via the internet straight to a consumer's home."

What am I missing?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:06 PM #37
ayabrae

Quote:
Same with running a McDonalds

ummm, they're the exact same things. The only difference is the content.

Seriously, how is that not DD? Netflix is the very definition.
Yes. lol...

Games are significantly bigger than movies. You also aren't going to be renting games in the same way you do with Netflix; rather than streaming them, you'll have to download most of the game, install it, and then play while it continues downloading, or just download the game entirely. That's all assuming somebody decides to take some kind of digital renting service to consoles.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:20 PM #38
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

So? Really, what am I missing? This is already done on the PC via Steam.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:21 PM #39
phuct

pretty sure netflix is still going strong sending dvds to people by mail. hard copy distribution. yes they are tinkering with digital distribution but they are not fully there yet.
now if you were to reference cable companies and the digital rental of on demand you may have been a little closer. seriously though. how much space fits on a bluray, isnt it something like 40 gigs. Not that many games come close to filling that space yet but there are a few who are pushing it. even with a TB harddrive you would only be able to hold 20-25 games minus any additional dlc you may want. I really do not think DD is going to hit the home console market anymore than i think cloud gaming is going to become standard. Maybe I'm wrong (ask my wife, happens alll the time) but i hope im not.

Sony has already reported that they are iin process of developing the next step after blu ray that is sopposed to hold the equivilent of 7 (?) blurays.

edit: well i guess we are safe cause pcs are like ten years ahaed of consoles.

Last edited by phuct : 12-09-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:26 PM #40
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

"tinkering" with digital distribution? That was their intention all along. Their mail service was just to get them up and running.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:32 PM #41
ayabrae

Quote:
So? Really, what am I missing? This is already done on the PC via Steam.
A lot of people cannot buy digital games because their connection just isn't strong enough. That fact begins to encompass a lot more people if the sole means of distribution on consoles became digital. And since when do you rent games on Steam?

Physical media has a lot of life left it in.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM #42
licence_to_kill
Bizarro World

Question: who the **** rents games anymore? With all the major rental places out of business where the **** are you going to find a rental copy anyways? Gamefly? lol