PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 12-08-2010, 12:27 PM #22
RLpaintball45
Andy Massar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deimus85 View Post
There has been some real hot debate on even putting in a CAI on a Subaru. Unless you are doing some serious tuning, there is really no point for these bolt on mods. A lot of Subaru guys do a hybrid intake system, in an attempt to delete some of the "restrictive" snake tubing. I mean, I would trust the guys who designed the car over some guys who have a tube bender and access to cone filters.

AP would be a great starting mod to access some untapped potential out of your WRX. I would say spend the money that you would spend on a CAI on a suspension work. With 250 bucks, you can get a nice Cusco Rear sway bar, or Strut tower brace. Adding a beefier rear sway bar is one of the best suspension mods you can do to your car for the buck.
I like you, you are intelligent.

Edit -

I believe that the stock air box has been used for pretty high horse power applications (300 - 400 wheel range). A friend of mine is doing an FP 68HTA (similar to 18g, appearently spools a lot quicker) on his 03 wagon, keeping the stock airbox, maybe buying a turbo inlet. Ill make sure to let you guys know how it goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PntBllr939 View Post
Actually my parents dont support me for anything. They help me with my insurance and thats it. Im currenty going to school and working. I put my own down payment on my car and pay my monthly payments. So its not as good as it seems but i am still fortunate to be driving a wrx
good man

Finished the 5 lug swap on my buddies '91 240 RB20 build, i believe the wiring harness / motor /. tranny are all going back in this weekend.

We decided on cutting the lips off the fenders as opposed to pulling or rolling them and going with riveting on fender flares.

Last edited by RLpaintball45 : 12-08-2010 at 12:31 PM.
RLpaintball45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 12-08-2010, 01:25 PM #23
kidfr0mda631
brian earl spilner

Quote:
Yeaa i understand what you are saying. Im a little new into the while modding process but i have read that the possible gains from an ap is pretty noticable. I allready feel that my suby handles like no other and cant imagine it with some supsension mods. I might just have to take your advice on that. But quick question, what could be the potential dangers if i do get an intake? Also to tell you guys how i ended up with a wrx, i purxhased a wrb sti w/ gold bbs. Drove it for a good week and then got quoted on insurance. Waaaayy too much money. So unfortunatly i had to return it and get a wrx -_- im 17 turning 18 in january and still to this day i wish i could be rolling around in an sti
dont run an intake without a proper tune. aka not a stage 1 map.

kidfr0mda631 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM #24
WGPo4'
OU? ONO!

WGPo4' owns a Planet Eclipse Ego
WGPo4' is an NCPA player
WGPo4' is an NCPA National Champion
WGPo4' plays in the APPA D5 division
orrrrrr just do it and reset the ecu

getting new tires and soft8's for christmassssssssssss yesssssssssssss

Bad Blood
so i heard you're a virgin?

Last edited by WGPo4' : 12-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.
WGPo4' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:50 PM #25
PntBllr939
Dub K!

PntBllr939 plays in the USPL
PntBllr939 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfr0mda631 View Post
dont run an intake without a proper tune. aka not a stage 1 map.
have you heard good things of amr? they have a stage 1 package with a ap, cai and custom tune that i was looking at. im thinking of either that or getting the ap and aem cai with a tune from yimi sports down here in la.
PntBllr939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM #26
kidfr0mda631
brian earl spilner

i'd stay local. and heard good things about yimi sports.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM #27
MeanChad

MeanChad plays in the APPA D5 division
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agc8W12W098
MeanChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:55 PM #28
kidfr0mda631
brian earl spilner

guy can drive.. this thing is dangerous.

watch at 1min..

Old 12-08-2010, 03:56 PM #29
thisistodd

thisistodd is an NCPA player
lol
thisistodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:06 PM #30
xENRAGED BUNNYx
HAMarmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanChad View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidfr0mda631 View Post
guy can drive.. this thing is dangerous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugvRU...eature=related
I see your video's and raise you an epic fail...

Why Rednecks and Nitrous Don't Mix:
xENRAGED BUNNYx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM #31
Versailles

Saw this coming back from work today, couldn't keep up with it because I was in the ****ty kia. CLS 55 Amg with black wheels....The lips where finished in the burnt orange/red same as body.

****ty camera phones
Versailles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:45 PM #32
ssman19

great i let my dad drive my gti and it started running real hard and then when he got on the freeway the check engine light went on. i doubt that its running on all cylanders right now. im pissed.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 AM #33
protoballer823
Meow What Is So Funny?

protoballer823 plays in the PSP
protoballer823 donated to help Peyton Trent
protoballer823 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLpaintball45 View Post
Ill send you oneee

**** my life, monday morning i start my car...ap is stuck at the "accessport" screen with the schematic in the background, froze, couldnt connect to the computer, ended up sending it back to cobb on monday afternoon, cancelled tune on tuesday, now running a hybrid motor with an 18g setup on stock 05 wrx ecu...wonderful. no boosting for a solid week and a half...

in other news, wheels will be white tomorow, and hopefully ill be slammed tomorrow night / thursday night. **** snow.
did you not have your car running at least some kind of stage tune on the car before you started? because it shouldn't have reset unless you were messing with it...i don't know your setup but im just saying. when they don't mess up though they are extremely fun to play with haha
protoballer823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 AM #34
Deimus85
Playground Legend

Deimus85 is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
Deimus85 plays in the PSP
Deimus85 is an NCPA National Champion
Deimus85 is Boss
Quote:
Yeaa i understand what you are saying. Im a little new into the while modding process but i have read that the possible gains from an ap is pretty noticable. I allready feel that my suby handles like no other and cant imagine it with some supsension mods. I might just have to take your advice on that. But quick question, what could be the potential dangers if i do get an intake? Also to tell you guys how i ended up with a wrx, i purxhased a wrb sti w/ gold bbs. Drove it for a good week and then got quoted on insurance. Waaaayy too much money. So unfortunatly i had to return it and get a wrx -_- im 17 turning 18 in january and still to this day i wish i could be rolling around in an sti
As RL said, you aren't going to see any significant benefit from any engine bolt on without a proper tune. An intake or an exhaust or headers only gain their true potential when coupled with real modifications, such as a tune or engine rework.

For the money, the best and most noticeable gains in performance that you will feel immediately in your DD are suspension mods, creature comfort mods, drivetrain mods, and of course, the most important and often overlooked aspect of cars, throwing some nice rubber on your wheels. Considering that its the only part of your car that SHOULD be in contact with the ground, it is one of the most significant and performance altering modifications possible to an automobile. I can't wait till the spring to get some decent rims and some nice tires. I wish I could afford nice winter rubber, but alas, I cannot right now. Hopefully next winter that won't be the case.

Playground Legends/Fast Five/Drexel University NCPA Alumni/Bulldogs Athens Millennium/Washington Winstons
Feedback
Deimus85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:20 AM #35
EmpireDude92
Mayor Dingleschlong

EmpireDude92 plays in the USPL
EmpireDude92 plays in the PSP
EmpireDude92 is an NCPA player
EmpireDude92 is reppin' sidebar 4 life
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanChad View Post
Trying too hard, work on your form.
Not agg..

Last edited by EmpireDude92 : 12-09-2010 at 09:23 AM.
EmpireDude92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:45 AM #36
RLpaintball45
Andy Massar

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoballer823 View Post
did you not have your car running at least some kind of stage tune on the car before you started? because it shouldn't have reset unless you were messing with it...i don't know your setup but im just saying. when they don't mess up though they are extremely fun to play with haha
It had a Protune on it for 91 octane, didnt mess with loading any maps or anything, i was only using it to moniter A/F. But, when we connected the car to my buddys laptop (who does in fact own a shop, knows what he is talking about) said its the stock wrx tune on it, and told me not to drive it if i can help it, and to stay out of boost as much as possible.

I have a hybrid setup, with forged internals, and an FP 18g with a turboxs topmount, 750cc's (+ all supporting obviously).

Only noticeable thing an intake does on any car is make it sound cool at high rpm's...thats it, sure it does "add airflow" but realistic hp gains are way to minimal to justify spending 200+ on one...biggest rip off in the auto industry, but god damn who ever came up with the idea of marketing a peice of pipe and a cone filter to the public is genious.
RLpaintball45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:52 AM #37
protoballer823
Meow What Is So Funny?

protoballer823 plays in the PSP
protoballer823 donated to help Peyton Trent
protoballer823 plays in the APPA D4 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLpaintball45 View Post
It had a Protune on it for 91 octane, didnt mess with loading any maps or anything, i was only using it to moniter A/F. But, when we connected the car to my buddys laptop (who does in fact own a shop, knows what he is talking about) said its the stock wrx tune on it, and told me not to drive it if i can help it, and to stay out of boost as much as possible.

I have a hybrid setup, with forged internals, and an FP 18g with a turboxs topmount, 750cc's (+ all supporting obviously).

Only noticeable thing an intake does on any car is make it sound cool at high rpm's...thats it, sure it does "add airflow" but realistic hp gains are way to minimal to justify spending 200+ on one...biggest rip off in the auto industry, but god damn who ever came up with the idea of marketing a peice of pipe and a cone filter to the public is genious.
ok that makes sense. hopefully it will be quick turn around for you. ordered front and rear strut bars for my car. apparently the front strut bar was out of stock but was never aware of it with the site i used (importimageracing.com). got my rear one in 2 days ago and installed it last night. I must say that even a rear strut bar adds a good amount of handling to the car. so simple and relatively cheap but help the car handle sooooo much better.
protoballer823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM #38
BunkerKing5291
Hate.Heart.Love.

BunkerKing5291 plays in the USPL
BunkerKing5291 plays in the PSP
BunkerKing5291 is an NCPA player
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/09/v...rica-official/

Yeeeeeeeeeee
REP CODE : AJKATT For 20% OFF
SUNY Oswego Rush NCPA Alumni
BunkerKing5291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:54 PM #39
PistolSex
Forever a Gunslinger

PistolSex plays in the APPA D3 division
Did a big job(timing cover seal was shot) on my truck today at work. And it was so much work to get to timing cover gasket. So while I was in there I replaced: timing chain, cam and crankshaft gears, water pump, thermostat, and of course did an oil change because of all the coolant that gets in there. Now she purrsss VROOM VROOM

PistolSex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:02 PM #40
christoph562
lilnasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireDude92 View Post
Trying too hard, work on your form.
Not agg..
[IG]http://i1032.photobucket.com/albums/a404/spikebass17/Silverstone%2002%2005%202010%20FIA%20GT/picture482.jpg[/IMG]
BHAHAHAH chad is soo ghey

RIP Splat Kids
christoph562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:06 PM #41
MeanChad

MeanChad plays in the APPA D5 division
Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph562 View Post
BHAHAHAH chad is soo ghey
MeanChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:10 PM #42
chrisd3man