Zipcode
PbNation News
PbNation News
Community Focus
Community Focus

Old 11-21-2014, 02:35 AM #1
AUBallin13

What happened to the CFOA?

Hey guys, hope all is well I just have a couple of questions about how everything went down since I've been out of the sport.

I quit back in 2007-2008 due to a knee injury, which broke my heart and I've kind of stayed away from it ever since, seeing as I can't play anymore. Recently though, I've been combing back through some old pictures and plaques and stuff and so I came back to PBN expecting it to be bigger than ever.

That's not the case though is it? I played with team out of GA, and for the 2007 season we played every event. I think we may have missed one, but I don't recall super clear. The events were ALL over the southeast, but now I see there are only maybe 4-5 events ALL YEAR, and ALL in only the Carolina's? WHAT! No, man. The CFOA is like 7-8 events a season. It's southeastern stranglehold was not to be tampered with. We had so much young talent blasting out of the southeastern US that teams were going to PSP events left and right!

I'm guessing my question really is just, what happened? Where did it all go? Lol.
AUBallin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sponsored Links Remove Advertisement
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 AM #2
PimpInDistress
11:30

PimpInDistress plays in the PSP
Man to be honest we quit playing CFOA back around 2009, I believe in 2010 they went to strictly 5-man race to 2 style and all the previous teams I played for went to play MSXL. I too remember when the CFOA was from GA, TN, and both Carolinas and it was the funnest tournament paintball we played. Sure do miss it but hopefully they will bring back the "x-ball" style again

CEP-2009 BASIC-2008-2011
PimpInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 01:15 PM #3
wc!
In periculo, nos jubete

wc! is a Supporting Member
 has been a member for 10 years
wc! donated to help Peyton Trent
- Economy tanked and took a lot of players with it.

- Larry Left the CFOA and took his contacts, marketing, and organizational skills with him.

- CFOA got competition (GFOA pulls TN, SC and GA players, EPL pulls NC and VA players, MILP pulls TN, GA, VA, NC and SC players)

- Rob deep sixed the Trauma/Gridlock program which brought down general interest in Tournament paintball at the PBC's (which accounted at least half of the teams during the mid/late 2000's).

- Current CFOA leadership doesn't seem interested in growing the league anymore, probably due to the total player pool being marginal at best.

I think that about covers it. There may be some tea prices in China that affected it too, but I can't be certain.
wc! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 02:33 PM #4
AUBallin13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc! View Post
- Economy tanked and took a lot of players with it.

- Larry Left the CFOA and took his contacts, marketing, and organizational skills with him.

- CFOA got competition (GFOA pulls TN, SC and GA players, EPL pulls NC and VA players, MILP pulls TN, GA, VA, NC and SC players)

- Rob deep sixed the Trauma/Gridlock program which brought down general interest in Tournament paintball at the PBC's (which accounted at least half of the teams during the mid/late 2000's).

- Current CFOA leadership doesn't seem interested in growing the league anymore, probably due to the total player pool being marginal at best.

I think that about covers it. There may be some tea prices in China that affected it too, but I can't be certain.
Wow. Trauma was the cake of the east as I remember it. That's sad to hear. I hate that it turned out like that. It really hurts to see something that gave me so much joy just kinda fizzle like that.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM #5
PimpInDistress
11:30

PimpInDistress plays in the PSP
look at the other posts in the CFOA forum, Matt Sossman from Vicious is trying to get some ideas to get it back on its feet. I remember when CFOAs were like mini PSPs with all the vendors trailers and what not

CEP-2009 BASIC-2008-2011
PimpInDistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:07 PM #6
applebutt89
Been here since 04

Annual Supporting Member
applebutt89 plays in the PSP
applebutt89 supports Team VICIOUS
applebutt89 plays in the APPA D3 division
applebutt89 is one of the top 1000 posters on PbNation
applebutt89 is Legendary
applebutt89 supports DLX Technology
CFOA used to be bigger than the PSP in its heyday. But like everyone mentioned, other competition started popping up and the CFOA slowly died out.

I would love for it to try and make a comeback but I honestly don't see it happening.
Baltimore Trauma Fan #655
applebutt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 02:36 AM #7
AUBallin13

Are there any teams in GA, around atlanta that have anything to do with the CFOA anymore? I know you someone mentioned most left for the MiPL?